• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Overview Trailer for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door has been released

Both those options (having the original game + console or just emulating) sound better to me than having to pay almost 50€ for what's basically the same game all over again, just with different visuals and half the framerate.

As an alternative for more casual players, maybe Nintendo could offer those games for way cheaper without the new coat of paint. Remember the virtual console? Something like that would be the better solution for the consumer, imo.

Edit: "shady second hand market"? Come on man, you make it sound like buying a GameCube is more dangerous than dealing with drug dealers lol. I got a PS2 a year ago for just 50€ without even having to leave the house, so if you want to play older games the legit way, you can, easily.
Counterpoint: games on old consoles look like shit on modern TVs without using emulation.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
To YOU, a NeoGAF poster. Most people won't emulate or get second hand consoles just a game, not even most gamers.
I disagree. Maybe not getting the console sure, but emulating? That has become quite mainstream, you can even play this game in your phone.

I'm all in for direct ports with res and fps bump btw, I can like them more than "graphically enhanced" versions since WWHD messed up sky lighting, they'll probably throw GC games on Switch 2 to drive some sales and subs, hoping for that.
Agree! Hope to see the VC come back for the Switch 2, or at least get the current offer of retro games that come with the online subscription expanded to include GC and Wii games. Come to think of it, I think the later is quite probable.

Counterpoint: games on old consoles look like shit on modern TVs without using emulation.
Parry-point: get an upscaler for your old console or, if emulating, use a CRT filter.
A new Virtual Console could include those filters, like what they did for the SNES Mini.

Last edited:
Parry-point: get an upscaler for your old console or, if emulating, use a CRT filter.
A new Virtual Console could include those filters, like what they did for the SNES Mini.
You know this already of course, but we're talking in general of the average user. Not everyone has the setup/ know-how/ even understands half of what you're talking about.

Mate, I have played the original Japanese release. Much of the changes shown are not even close to the original Japanese release and have been altered to fit western sensibilities.
I know this is a wild concept, but do you think it is possible that the *vast majority of people who've ever played TTYD on GameCube from 2004 have never played the Japanese release, so you're take on it is probably not speaking for most players

Last edited:
There's this

Yep, fucked.

God damnit, Western Localizers.
Serious question here -- Do you guys honestly think that the small handful of cat-calls and fat-shaming lines (out of the thousands of lines of dialogue in the game) matter at all? Moreover, do you really think anyone's enjoyment of TTYD hinges on those lines?

Last edited:
Haven't gone through the whole thread, but on the 60 vs 30FPS argument: Yes, this is a turn based RPG...

...but it's also an Action Command/timing based RPG. Even if some moves aren't the most strict timing-wise, 60FPS should still most definitely be advocated for

Do you expect normal people to dive into shady second hand market with inflated prices just to play a videogame?
Shady? Where the hell are you buying video games? I'll be sure to bring my pistol and a friend the next time I go shopping at my local Microplay.

As for the inflated price, traditionally, announcement of remakes inflate the price of old games. That said, a used Gamecube copy can be had from eBay for less than the cost of the new Switch remake.

stickkidsam

Mate, I have played the original Japanese release. Much of the changes shown are not even close to the original Japanese release and have been altered to fit western sensibilities.

If they were just making it more true to the original script? I am perfectly OK with that. They clearly aren't doing that.
For someone like myself who is unfamiliar, what are some of the most egregious examples?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For someone like myself who is unfamiliar, what are some of the most egregious examples?
Cat calling, fat shaming being the two most heavily shown issues with the new “localization”. Both have been removed entirely despite existing in the original Japanese release.

I know this is a wild concept, but do you think it is possible that the *vast majority of people who've ever played TTYD on GameCube from 2004 have never played the Japanese release, so you're take on it is probably not speaking for most players
Do you even read before you post? Genuine question.

Last edited:

TexMex

Pointing to HD upscalers for old consoles as a counter point
Haven't gone through the whole thread, but on the 60 vs 30FPS argument: Yes, this is a turn based RPG...

...but it's also an Action Command/timing based RPG. Even if some moves aren't the most strict timing-wise, 60FPS should still most definitely be advocated for

Thank you - idk why people gloss over this entirely.

Top Bottom