• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

poodaddy

I never had stability related issues the little I played before today's patch so can't comment much on that.

So far it seems like it plays fine and fixes the missing Quality mode on the Xbox without any immediately noticeable issues.
Alright, after training later I'm gonna hop in and I'll report back here with my experience.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Full patch notes.

Fallout 4 has received a new update that adds the ability to manage your control over the game's graphic fidelity or performance. There have also been additional fixes and improvements to address some of the feedback you provided us with on the previous update.

Update Versions

• Xbox Series S|X:1.10.765
  • PlayStation 5: 1.10.985
  • PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One: 1.10.984

Patch Highlights

Xbox Series S|X and PlayStation 5 Display Settings
Thanks to your feedback, we've been able to implement the ability to control your graphic fidelity and performance. We highly recommend you run with the default settings but now you can change your options to better fit your playstyle and display.
Frame Rate Target
Frame Rate Target allows you to choose between 30, 40, and 60 (default). It is important to note that to select 40, your display must be able to support 120hz.
Visual and Performance Prioritization
You can now choose between Visuals and Performance (default) while trying to maintain frame rate target. If you choose Frame Rate Target of 60, we recommend selecting Performance. Both modes may adjust internal resolution dynamically when scenes or action get heavier.
Please note both modes can only be changed from the main menu.

Bug Fixes

• General stability improvements
  • Fixed visual issue with certain image spaces
  • Auto HDR is re-enabled (Xbox Series S|X)
  • Fixed issue where reserved space was not displayed correctly in load order menu (Xbox Series S|X)
  • Fixed issue with character name field when in widescreen mode. (PC)
  • Fixed an issue that occasionally caused bundles to not fully download and could cause a crash
  • Fixed an issue with material swaps
  • Fixed an issue with load order that would break DLC until a restart after downloading mods (PlayStation 5)
  • Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause a crash if you returned to the Main Menu with queued mods still downloading (PlayStation 5)
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Creation Club menu to not appear (Microsoft Store)
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when connecting to the network after a suspend/resume with the network disabled (Xbox One)

Creations Fixes

• Fixed missing art issue with certain Creations

Kydd BlaZe

Can anyone confirm if the Performance Mode/Quality Mode toggle works on Series X now, after today's update? Stuck at work for the next few hours smh.

adamsapple

Can anyone confirm if the Performance Mode/Quality Mode toggle works on Series X now, after today's update? Stuck at work for the next few hours smh.

Yes.

-

Also, since there's no native FoV slider, you can only mod it in. Thankfully there's FoV mods on the Xbox version. Here's a comparison of me using default vs 85. You can mod it all the way up to 120. But that causes too much fish-eye for my liking.

85/90 is a decent increase without starting to distort the edges.

Default:

xKpbKev.jpeg

85:

N5C4bVj.jpeg

-

And highly recommend people use the mod that makes the full line of dialogue appear instead of the 1 word responses.

6qMbs1V.jpeg

It actually wasn’t as bad for my mods as anticipated.

On SX with mods installed I had some stuttering but I shut off all the NPC face replacer mods, locked to 30 in the main menu with the visual setting.…and fairly smooth fingers crossed.

Also if you wonder why you can’t change the option for 30fps or visuals; it’s because it has to be from the main menu.

Gambit2483

Full patch notes.

Fallout 4 has received a new update that adds the ability to manage your control over the game's graphic fidelity or performance. There have also been additional fixes and improvements to address some of the feedback you provided us with on the previous update.

Update Versions

• Xbox Series S|X:1.10.765
  • PlayStation 5: 1.10.985
  • PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One: 1.10.984

Patch Highlights

Xbox Series S|X and PlayStation 5 Display Settings
Thanks to your feedback, we've been able to implement the ability to control your graphic fidelity and performance. We highly recommend you run with the default settings but now you can change your options to better fit your playstyle and display.
Frame Rate Target
Frame Rate Target allows you to choose between 30, 40, and 60 (default). It is important to note that to select 40, your display must be able to support 120hz.
Visual and Performance Prioritization
You can now choose between Visuals and Performance (default) while trying to maintain frame rate target. If you choose Frame Rate Target of 60, we recommend selecting Performance. Both modes may adjust internal resolution dynamically when scenes or action get heavier.
Please note both modes can only be changed from the main menu.

Bug Fixes

• General stability improvements
  • Fixed visual issue with certain image spaces
  • Auto HDR is re-enabled (Xbox Series S|X)
  • Fixed issue where reserved space was not displayed correctly in load order menu (Xbox Series S|X)
  • Fixed issue with character name field when in widescreen mode. (PC)
  • Fixed an issue that occasionally caused bundles to not fully download and could cause a crash
  • Fixed an issue with material swaps
  • Fixed an issue with load order that would break DLC until a restart after downloading mods (PlayStation 5)
  • Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause a crash if you returned to the Main Menu with queued mods still downloading (PlayStation 5)
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Creation Club menu to not appear (Microsoft Store)
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when connecting to the network after a suspend/resume with the network disabled (Xbox One)

Creations Fixes

• Fixed missing art issue with certain Creations
Damn, was really hoping they added a FOV slider for consoles 😮‍💨

Is a freaking FOV slider that hard to add to the game?

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I never played Fallout. I purchased 4 last week after watching the show. I was so excited to play it, but the game constantly crashes on my PC 😭😭. I started playing Fallout 3 instead.

Methos#1975

What’s the best mode to play at now on XSX?
So after playing both the PS5 and Xbox versions a bit now, definitely visual mode with 60fps on the XSX is the way to go. To my eyes it maintains a higher resolution than the PS5 update and sticks to 60fps more. I didnt see any of the drops in VATS mode on the XSX that I observed on the PS5.

Interestingly though the PS5 version still seems to have a bit more environmental detail. Seems the update didn't fix that issue.

adamsapple

You know what .. this game doesn't look all that bad even a decade later. The character models look ghastly, but with a little bit of modding, the environments and lighting looks decent even now.

NIyi0wD.jpeg

ayF6JIu.jpeg

9SBd15e.jpeg

PypOKwY.jpeg

Just the Vivid Fallout All in One and FoV 85. I want to experiment with a couple of weather mods next and see how that goes.

The game itself is running in Prefer Quality mode.

Seems to do a pretty good job at 60 FPS there, or at least is always within the VRR range for me to not notice it.

What’s the best mode to play at now on XSX?

If you have a VRR display = Quality at 60 FPS
If you have a 120hz display without VRR = Quality at 40 fps
If you do not have a 120hz or VRR display = Performance 60 FPS

If you're ok with some drops here and there, you can also give the Quality at 60 FPS a try even without VRR.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

You know what .. this game doesn't look all that bad even a decade later. The character models look ghastly, but with a little bit of modding, the environments and lighting looks decent even now.

NIyi0wD.jpeg

ayF6JIu.jpeg

9SBd15e.jpeg

PypOKwY.jpeg
Only thing it really needs imo, is fully native HDR. Auto HDR is OK and my Bravia's HLG equivalent is even a little better than that. But neither are as good as if it had proper native HDR implemented.

All personal preference, but I find many games released from around 2007 (Crysis, Far Cry 2) onwards can still hold up well enough these days, if given 60fps and native 4k. Good enough to still get immersed anyway.

I'll be starting my run later this week. Really looking forward to trophy hunting after being forced to play it modded for so many years.

Question boys : Can you install mods on the PS4/PS5 version ? "I saw the vivid fallout all in one" and it looks mighty good.
I remember that you could install mods only on the Xbox consoles a few years ago - am i misremembering things or...?

Thanks

Zathalus

Question boys : Can you install mods on the PS4/PS5 version ? "I saw the vivid fallout all in one" and it looks mighty good.
I remember that you could install mods only on the Xbox consoles a few years ago - am i misremembering things or...?

Thanks
You can install mods, but have a more limited selection vs Xbox and smaller installed mod cap. I think Vivid Fallout all in one is PC/Xbox only.

mitchman

Gold Member
I never played Fallout. I purchased 4 last week after watching the show. I was so excited to play it, but the game constantly crashes on my PC 😭😭. I started playing Fallout 3 instead.
Disable weapon artifacts or whatever it's called, bottom option in the settings window. It crashes on RTX cards on PC.

You can install mods, but have a more limited selection vs Xbox and smaller installed mod cap. I think Vivid Fallout all in one is PC/Xbox only.

Thanks, Zath! I guess I shouldn't bother then. The vanilla graphics seem really outdated, and those character models are a hard pass for me. I was considering the "Vivid FO all in one" mod because it looked like it could rejuvenate the game for me, but if it's not available on PlayStation, that's a deal-breaker.

Thanks for the info !

Edit : are there any mods for PS4/PS5 that actually make the game less shitty-looking ?

Last edited:

Zathalus

Thanks, Zath! I guess I shouldn't bother then. The vanilla graphics seem really outdated, and those character models are a hard pass for me. I was considering the "Vivid FO all in one" mod because it looked like it could rejuvenate the game for me, but if it's not available on PlayStation, that's a deal-breaker.

Thanks for the info !

Edit : are there any mods for PS4/PS5 that actually make the game less shitty-looking ?
Yeah there are a few, no new textures or anything but there are some that add new vegetation and more dynamic weather. There is a decent selection available for PS5 but due to the enforced limitations all the mods with new textures and models are excluded from PS5.

adamsapple

Thanks for the info !

The options for visual mods are very limited on PS4/5 but you can find some recommendations here

Thanks for the info !

Really just stuff like changing the color saturation and stuff like that. They basically don’t allow anything that isn’t already in the game files. So it’s mostly just .ini tweaks and the like.

Yeah there are a few, no new textures or anything but there are some that add new vegetation and more dynamic weather. There is a decent selection available for PS5 but due to the enforced limitations all the mods with new textures and models are excluded from PS5.

The options for visual mods are very limited on PS4/5 but you can find some recommendations here

Really just stuff like changing the color saturation and stuff like that. They basically don’t allow anything that isn’t already in the game files. So it’s mostly just .ini tweaks and the like.

Thanks guys, appreciate it 😉

Well, I guess it was never meant for me to play FO4 😁
It was janky back then and it is even more so nowadays (I just can't with those character models/animations) but, saw Adam's post about the vivid FO all in one and thought "why not" since it makes the game looks significantly better.

Oh well

Thanks again, cheers

Thanks guys, appreciate it 😉

Well, I guess it was never meant for me to play FO4 😁
It was janky back then and it is even more so nowadays (I just can't with those character models/animations) but, saw Adam's post about the vivid FO all in one and thought "why not" since it makes the game looks significantly better.

Oh well

Thanks again, cheers
To be fair there are still some mods that can do surprising things despite the limitation; I remember a PS4 mod for Skyrim that added 100 different dragon types using unused assets in the game files.

They can also do things like change one texture for another (although from memory it won’t match the background LOD which can’t be changed on PS4/PS5 because of Sony’s rules on mods ). So yeah it is still very very limited.

I kinda don’t blame Sony too much though… I have a nude mod running on the SX, and it would probably break local laws in some countries (South Korea off the top of my head).

Microsoft is quite a bit more confident in terms of lawsuits...but then again likely couldn’t sell a console in those regions in the first place.

Last edited:

adamsapple

For folks who don't like using Quick Resume, or just for whatever reason.

I recommend this very simple mod 110%. It acts like how you can delete the intro / license movies in PC games, just boots you directly into the game menu from the dash, skipping all the Bethesda / Zenimax / License bits.

-

Couple of more pics. Favor Visuals @ 60 FPS

aoIYOW6.jpeg

AA4DjuU.jpeg

De6oBTf.jpeg

7hjHaVx.jpeg

fpHn25z.jpeg

King Dazzar King Dazzar

To continue a point from the DF topic, here's an off-screen video at 60 FPS with my VRR display, since direct capture won't exactly show VRR's benefit.

Per DF, this segment should be running at 50~ FPS but it doesn't look / feel like there's any judder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom