• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Xtib81

Why would you expect 60 fps from consoles? In most cases, devs have to sacrifice half of the GPU horsepower to double the framerate and even then its not enough, and other graphics concessions have to be made that ultimately make the game look last gen as fuck as we have seen so many times this gen. RT is typically the first thing to go. Then level of detail and volumetric effects. And then the resolution is halved. And thats the best case scenario. Most games in the 60 fps modes are dropping to 720p and their reocnstruction techniques introduce all kinds of pixel crawl and ghosting that coupled with all the dialed down effects just completely removes the next gen sheen of these games.

I am convinced that most gamers have such a low opinion of graphics this gen because they are playing these games in shitty 60 fps modes.
I don't care about resolution, I want to have the choice. We have amazing-looking games running at 60fps on consoles. I have to assume that anybody fine with 30fps never actually turns the camera in their games.

Hunnybun

Why would you expect 60 fps from consoles? In most cases, devs have to sacrifice half of the GPU horsepower to double the framerate and even then its not enough, and other graphics concessions have to be made that ultimately make the game look last gen as fuck as we have seen so many times this gen. RT is typically the first thing to go. Then level of detail and volumetric effects. And then the resolution is halved. And thats the best case scenario. Most games in the 60 fps modes are dropping to 720p and their reocnstruction techniques introduce all kinds of pixel crawl and ghosting that coupled with all the dialed down effects just completely removes the next gen sheen of these games.

I am convinced that most gamers have such a low opinion of graphics this gen because they are playing these games in shitty 60 fps modes.

60fps is better because 30fps modes always look atrocious.

It's like watching a Charlie Chaplin film.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't care about resolution, I want to have the choice. We have amazing-looking games running at 60fps on consoles. I have to assume that anybody fine with 30fps never actually turns the camera in their games.
Ive been turning in 30 fps games for the last 35 years. Some werent even 30 fps in ps1-ps3 era.

I do think some of the more recent games with 60 fps modes have absolutely terrible 30 fps modes that feel awful to play. But if a game is only shipping with a 30 fps mode then the devs in theory should have focused on making that game as smooth as possible. I never had any issues playing open world games like witcher 3, rdr2 and horizon 1 last gen because they all shipped as 30 fps games where devs made sure to make them feel responsive. even this gen, ive played spiderman miles, hfw, ratchet, ff16 and spiderman 2 at 30 fps and they felt great. hfw was the only one that felt a little off due to its brightness flickering issues in hdr but that was patched.

Xtib81

Ive been turning in 30 fps games for the last 35 years. Some werent even 30 fps in ps1-ps3 era.

I do think some of the more recent games with 60 fps modes have absolutely terrible 30 fps modes that feel awful to play. But if a game is only shipping with a 30 fps mode then the devs in theory should have focused on making that game as smooth as possible. I never had any issues playing open world games like witcher 3, rdr2 and horizon 1 last gen because they all shipped as 30 fps games where devs made sure to make them feel responsive. even this gen, ive played spiderman miles, hfw, ratchet, ff16 and spiderman 2 at 30 fps and they felt great. hfw was the only one that felt a little off due to its brightness flickering issues in hdr but that was patched.
Truth be told, I never had a problem with 30fps until I bought an oled 4 years ago. I played HFW in 30fps due to the shimmering issue with 60fps and that was a real slog but before buying a new TV, 30 fps was just fine.

Nah they have constant gameplay as you are always making choices and engaging in adventure elements. I love adventure games like heavy rain, and Detroit. Beyond i didn’t like much but it has far more gameplay in every scene compared to hellblade 2 which goes an hour without anything happening. You press up and that’s it.
Walking is part of the experience like Death Stranding, its an experience, Im sure Hellblade 2 isn’t that much walking. As long as it isn’t overboard..

I prefer Spiderman in 30fps, feels better, looks better. More cinematic…

Last edited:

Darsxx82

That's what this thread needed....quote an idiot Fanboy. Congratulations.

You can argue that XSS could be a limitation, but if it is, based on the arguments given there it only shows that you have no idea. The VRam does not determine the size of a map and even less so that it is correlative to %.

Then, the same idiot tries to make people believe that PS5 and XSX go at 30 fps and dynamic resolution because of XSs💀

That's what this thread needed....quote an idiot Fanboy. Congratulations.

You can argue that XSS could be a limitation, but if it is, based on the arguments given there it only shows that you have no idea. The VRam does not determine the size of a map and even less so that it is correlative to %.

Then, the same idiot tries to make people believe that PS5 and XSX go at 30 fps and dynamic resolution because of XSs💀
Are you saying Series S doesn’t affect games at all?

SlimySnake

Silent Hill's 13 minute gameplay walkthrough looks amazing.

Amazing volumetric effects along with incredible lighting and asset quality. I just love how grounded the lighting feels in UE5. Materials get that bounce lighting pop yes, but it also feels really realistic in a way most games didnt last gen. Comparing the first few minutes to TLOU2 which has very similar areas in seattle and its obvious that lighting is a clear step up from TLOU2.

If bloober is doing this with UE5, i cant wait to see what Coalition, CD Project and Crystal Dyanmics do with it. I was hoping Sony studios would have their own UE5 solutions but after being MIA this summer, i am not holding my breath.

Gifs courtesy Musilla.

Jti9ZCJ.gif

JtiF9X1.gif

Jti2Pcv.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I prefer Spiderman in 30fps, feels better, looks better. More cinematic…
thats because they reduced the lighting fidelity, the number of NPCs, traffic, and other LOD effects in the 60 fps mode.

Walking is part of the experience like Death Stranding, its an experience, Im sure Hellblade 2 isn’t that much walking. As long as it isn’t overboard..
trust me. its overboard. i love the game's graphics and i take 2-3 days in between going back to the game because i cannot handle an hour of walking with voices constantly talking in my ear. death stranding's walking is challenging. its interactive in ways hellblade 2 simply isnt. you just press up for an hour. sometimes you grab a torch and solve a puzzle but its the worst puzzles of all time as they simply require more walking. the order had more gameplay than this game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If you want a choice, buy a PC. The "choice" is why so many games look like garbage. Forcing devs to deliver both gives us OK visuals and subpar performance. Nothing great. Let them stick to a mode and deliver it to the best of their ability. Like COD. Like TLOU 2. Like Hellblade 2. One mode of their choice.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Played some Lords of the Fallen on gamepass and while the world level of detail is meh, and lighting in indoor areas is nothing to write home about, the lighting in brighter areas is gorgeous. What a massive leap over Elden Rings. Sadly the game is soulslike and after killing the first boss it spawned a second boss who killed me in one hit. Uninstalled immediately but i can see the UE5 magic even in this game.

I think MS made the right choice choosing UE5 as an engine for 343i, Coalition, Ninja Theory, Obsidian and even the Perfect Dark team which i know is in development hell. These studios will have a running start compared to other sony studios who are going with their own inhouse tech. I think if MS doesnt fuck up like they have over the last few years, they are going to blow us all away with some incredible looking UE5 games. Unless a sony game shows up at summer gamefest, Looks like Sony studios are going to miss one more year, so they are a year behind everyone else. Shouldve switched to UE5 like everyone else.

CamHostage

Threads about this have already been locked; it's a misinterpretation of the original Czech speech, and is not an accurate statement about how the game was produced.

I think the subtext of that article was that this game could've been 60 with decent settings but DUE TO THE FUCKING SERIES S THE DEVELOPERS ARENT EVEN FREAKIN GOING TO TRY ON THE MORE POWERFUL CONSOLES!

In all seriousness though you are totally right about 60 fps destroying the next gen'ness of just about every game this gen on console, however what pisses me off is this:

Why would any developer not ALSO be including an uncapped framerate for a game with the prospect of the PS5 Pro coming soon?? Makes ZERO sense ...hell, even if there's no ps5 pro there will eventually be a ps6 right?

Every single game should have an unlocked fidelity mode so that when the next system comes out we can play the game with fidelity mode visuals at 60 fps!

Btw I'm one of the people who chooses to play many games at 30/40 fps just so I can get good visuals on console and im still disappointed by this generation! Sony and MS have been lame and have gone for cross gen cash grabs for 4 years which is why Hellblade 2 is so important- finally we have a game that shows what these systems are capable of

Btw do you still think the Pro is even coming at this point?

PS- Lords of the Fallen sucks ...wait until you've gotten to the 3rd or 4th area and realize how much they spam you with enemies that track you from all angles, while simultaneously being lost in a maze-like area AND having to deal with a bad camera system ..it's the spammiest Souls like game ever ...some nice visuals tho at times

Last edited:

Xtib81

Amazing volumetric effects along with incredible lighting and asset quality. I just love how grounded the lighting feels in UE5. Materials get that bounce lighting pop yes, but it also feels really realistic in a way most games didnt last gen. Comparing the first few minutes to TLOU2 which has very similar areas in seattle and its obvious that lighting is a clear step up from TLOU2.

If bloober is doing this with UE5, i cant wait to see what Coalition, CD Project and Crystal Dyanmics do with it. I was hoping Sony studios would have their own UE5 solutions but after being MIA this summer, i am not holding my breath.

Gifs courtesy Musilla.

Jti9ZCJ.gif

JtiF9X1.gif

Jti2Pcv.gif

Looks much better than what Sony showed. Animations still look stiff, but the atmosphere is great.

Darsxx82

Are you saying Series S doesn’t affect games at all?
??
The technical limitations of XSS always affect.... when making the XSS version itself. What it does not affect is what the XSX and PS5 version could be. If the XSX and PS5 version run at 30fps it is certainly not XSS's fault. That's what that idiotic fanboy's tweet is implying.

Then, I don't know if XSS has been a limitation to the Studio's ambitions with the game, but it is clear that those reasons that are argued make no sense and contradict each other. First, the amount of Vram does not determine the size of a map. And second, you can't say your world is twice the size of KC1 and then say it could only have been 25% because of XSS Vram limitations. That is to say, it doesn't make sense, there is a contradiction and there is surely something that has been lost along the way.

Luipadre

Gifs courtesy Musilla.

Jti9ZCJ.gif

JtiF9X1.gif

Jti2Pcv.gif

Yeah the gameplay video looked 10 times better than their shitty trailers. Shame about the ingame animations tho. Cutscenes looks great

Top Bottom