• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems Ghost of Tsushima PC is the 1st released game to let you use FSR (3.1?) frame gen and DLSS without mod

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

AMD announced that Rift Apart PC will be getting FSR3.1 update later this year, but it seems Ghost of Tsushima might be the first to get the FSR3.1 support, considering you can use FST frame generation with DLSS upscaling in this game.

As we can see from the AMD community post, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was the first title to be announced for FSR 3.1 support “later this year” – but as far as we can tell, Ghost of Tsushima is the first time we’ve actually seen it available to players.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's not FSR 3.1. AMD still list this as FSR3
It's just FSR 3.0 but Nixxes made an amazing job implementing it. Probably the best so far.

Yep and you can enable FSR3 frame gen with that DLSS!

Every game should have this option, DLSS3 will be dead (it consumes much more vram for very little difference).

Thankyou - that's great news. Get's some morel live out of my 3080 until I decide if I jump on a 5080.

Bojji

Thankyou - that's great news. Get's some morel live out of my 3080 until I decide if I jump on a 5080.

With FSR3.1 every new game should have option to run frame gen with whatever resolution and scaling method you like. Nvidia tried to screw their loyal customers and then AMD came up with the solution. World is weird sometimes.

Never used frame gen, what are the downsides? Input lag?

Input lag should be slightly worse but this game allows reflex to be turned on so impact should be minimal. Framegen can sometimes show artifacts with fast camera movements or HUD elements (depending on the game).

FSR3 FG was garbage when first released but now it's good.

ArtHands

It's not FSR 3.1. AMD still list this as FSR3
It's just FSR 3.0 but Nixxes made an amazing job implementing it. Probably the best so far.

This is weird since AMD is suggesting that only FSR3.1 frame generation can work in tandem with other upscaling technology.

winjer

Gold Member
This is weird since AMD is suggesting that only FSR3.1 frame generation can work in tandem with other upscaling technology.

To do that, FSR 3.1 is not needed.
FSR FG has already been used with XeSS and DLSS, while using mods. AMD just removed the restriction.

Kazdane

Unfortunately, right now the game is crashing for plenty of people (myself included) if FG is enabled. Performance is good enough that it doesn't matter though. Getting 60 FPS with a RTX 3070 + Ryzen 5600 at 1400p with everything set on High.

ArtHands

I'm slightly out the loop. Will DLSS 2.0 work with this on my 3080?

It seems so

Not too long ago when AMD announced the FSR 3.1 update, one of the biggest revelations from the patch notes is that FSR 3 upscaling is now ‘decoupled’ from the frame generation technology. Unlike Nvidia’s DLSS 3 equivalent, which requires you to have an RTX 40-series card, this means you can now use FSR frame generation in partnership with another upscaling method. This is great news for the many users using the likes of the 30 series.

ArtHands

To do that, FSR 3.1 is not needed.
FSR FG has already been used with XeSS and DLSS, while using mods. AMD just removed the restriction.

But that is FSR3.1 isn’t it? are you saying Nixxes is doing these with FSR3.0 without mods?

winjer

Gold Member
But that is FSR3.1 isn’t it? are you saying Nixxes is doing these with FSR3.0 without mods?

AMD was artificially blocking FSR3 FG to be used only with FSR. There is no reason why it can't be used with any other upsacler.

But if you want confirmation, go to the game's files and find the FSR3 dll, then check the properties. It will say what version it is.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Recently got a 4070 Super so I'm not too experienced with this stuff.

I know it's basically free frames, but does it affect image quality and, more important even, input latency in any way?

Kazdane

I know it's basically free frames, but does it affect image quality and, more important even, input latency in any way?
It really depends on what's the framerate before FG factors in. If it's high enough, you won't really notice any input latency anyways. Most games that have any sort of FG implementation, as far as I've seen, also have Nvidia Reflex built in, which you can turn on to reduce input latency further. It's a great experience.

Unfortunately, right now the game is crashing for plenty of people (myself included) if FG is enabled. Performance is good enough that it doesn't matter though. Getting 60 FPS with a RTX 3070 + Ryzen 5600 at 1400p with everything set on High.
Apparently turning of Steam overlay fixes that problem.

Kazdane

Apparently turning of Steam overlay fixes that problem.
Oh, I'll have to check that and report back. These days games can have so many overlays on top... (for me, this one is running with PS, Steam and Nvidia overlays) so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the actual cause).
EDIT: Can confirm. Turning the Steam overlay off allows FG to be turned on without any issues.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

It was only very recently that AMD said they would divorce their FSR3 frame gen from FSR upscaling, so this is MUCH sooner than I was expecting to see it in a shipping game!

Recall that there is a recent mod (here) that allows RTX 20 and 30 series owners to use FSR3 frame generation in place of DLSS3 frame generation, which is a really big deal!

AMD allowing FSR3 frame gen to be its own feature means you don't need this mod for new games going forward (that actually implement it like Ghosts does).

Last edited:

Xdrive05

It does (or CAN) affect image quality and does affect input latency, but to varying degrees depending on the game and the implementation.

Image quality impact tends to be negligible most of the time for most titles.

Input latency is the more important concern. It's largely mitigated by Nvidia Reflex (either On or On+Boost - the latter can too aggressively lower your GPU usage in some games so you need to try both). The rule of thumb is that with frame generation on, your input latency will roughly match the same for about half of the perceived framerate. So if you can run at 60fps without frame gen, and with frame gen you run at 90fps, then the input latency will feel more like you were running at 45fps and so it will actually be a little worse than if you just ran at 60fps without the frame gen in the first place. But again, Reflex goes a long way to cleaning that up.

yamaci17

Yep and you can enable FSR3 frame gen with that DLSS!

Every game should have this option, DLSS3 will be dead (it consumes much more vram for very little difference).
this will be very relevant for 8-12 gb gpus going forward. dlss 3 has insane vram usage. around 500/600 mb at 1080p and up to 1.5-2 gb at 4K and something in between at 1440p. that added vram pressure is insane and already makes dlss frame gen unusuable with 4060/4060ti 8 gb in many titles at 1080p. going forward pressure will hit 12 gb cards at 1440p

amd's frame generation has much much lower vram usage in comparison. there will be situations where 4070 users will have to use amd's frame gen over nvidia's frame gen just because they were 500 mb short of vram to run the game :)

Top Bottom