• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Demo - 4 years later...

That jaw dropping Unreal Engine 5 Demo trailer is four years old this month. It presented a Tomb Raider style world, with incredible lighting, physics, fluidity and graphics.

It was the trailer that gave everyone hope that the next gen consoles, releasing later that year, would bring the wow factor.

Four years on and... apart from thinking time flies I'm really not sure what to make of it. Empty promises?

NRyscsW.png

This still looks amazing 👍

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There are literally no shadows in these screenshots. Go back and look at that Unreal Engine demo again, there are actual shadows being drawn in scenes.
The 30 fps mode has way better shadows. those screenshots are likely taken from the performance mode.

QOEiFe6.jpeg

On PC, you can manually enable virtual shadow maps for shadows on par with the UE5 demo.

The 30 fps mode has way better shadows. those screenshots are likely taken from the performance mode.

QOEiFe6.jpeg

On PC, you can manually enable virtual shadow maps for shadows on par with the UE5 demo.
Even with virtual shadow maps enabled it still doesn’t capture the look of that Unreal Engine demo by Epic Games; Just look how the environment is meshed in that UE demo, it’s very high detailed.

Look how these ridiculously detailed meshes are seamlessly blending together in this shot below, I don't think y'all understand how crazy this looks.

5u2akTl.jpeg

This is Lords of Fallen, look how some of the meshes are sticking out. This level of meshing looks basic in comparison.
EIenu4s.jpeg

Last edited:

magnumpy

I expect to see more of these games in the next 5-6 years.

If you count from 2014 and consider the fact that UE4 games were still releasing last year, then the UE4 cycle was 9 years long. UE5 was fully launched in 2022, so we're still in the early stages of the UE5 cycle.

😱

Top Bottom