• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I just have an epiphany?!

Did Men_in_Boxes have an epiphany? If so...what exactly was it?

• Yes, that is an epiphany.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • No, that is not an epiphany.

Votes: 38 84.4%

• Total voters

EwwLink

Neo Member
Vince Mcmahon GIF

Trilobit

Today, I'm driving home and this is played on the radio...

"Why the **** don't they make this stuff anymore. This is good music! Not the girl rock, bro country, pop garbage the industry keeps pumping out."

Did you just teleport your younger self from the distant past of 2005?

NINTCHDBPICT000419460521.jpg

Laptop1991

Well they ain't making neither, not the good old games like TES, new Fallout, Dishonored etc and they ain't making new risky forward thinking games as well, so we're both screwed!.

Fredrik

Regarding music. Today I only listen to instrumental music, I don’t need someone else’s problems injected in my head, I really have zero interest in hearing someone complain about life or whatever for minutes in repetitive phrases. Just give me cool guitar riffs that makes my head move and let me think about whatever I want.

Guilty_AI

Regarding music. Today I only listen to instrumental music, I don’t need someone else’s problems injected in my head, I really have zero interest in hearing someone complain about life or whatever for minutes in repetitive phrases. Just give me cool guitar riffs that makes my head move and let me think about whatever I want.
Just listen to music in languages you don't understand:

DaGwaphics

You want PvP player matches where the crux of a game is some kind of loop that repeats each time you join a lobby and sign in. Basically, what you want is just as repetitive and predictable as what you say old school gamers want.

No epiphanies.

Fredrik

Just listen to music in languages you don't understand:

Well I understand everything there though, it’s just someone stuck in a hate loop. But I get what you’re saying. Problem is, I can’t hear the guitars, it’s just a blanket of noise and slamming drums with no finesse, there is nothing there for me tbh.
Modern metal is too strange for me. I want crystal clear guitars and I want riffs that makes me want to pick up the guitar and no cut and paste metal with tightness cut out through mixing. And preferrably instrumental. Does that exist?

Boralf

Well I understand everything there though, it’s just someone stuck in a hate loop. But I get what you’re saying. Problem is, I can’t hear the guitars, it’s just a blanket of noise and slamming drums with no finesse, there is nothing there for me tbh.
Modern metal is too strange for me. I want crystal clear guitars and I want riffs that makes me want to pick up the guitar and no cut and paste metal with tightness cut out through mixing. And preferrably instrumental. Does that exist?

Guilty_AI

i'm no musician but i think this fits your description

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You want PvP player matches where the crux of a game is some kind of loop that repeats each time you join a lobby and sign in. Basically, what you want is just as repetitive and predictable as what you say old school gamers want.

No epiphanies.
This is 240p resolution thinking.

It's as silly as saying a river is just like rain because they're both water being pulled by gravity.

Opponent AI vs Human opponents is a night and day difference in terms of predictablity.
Friendly AI vs Human teammates is a night and day difference in terms of predictablity.

And I've said for years now that the next great frontier of multiplayer is to leave the resetting 10 minute lobby (Overwatch, Halo) and move into larger, more permanent worlds (Rust, Star Citizen). That is true progress.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
more permanent worlds
That kinda sucks because people have lifes, and I can't be logged in 24/7 to protect my house in Rust from some stinky neets that want to cum all over my place.

I wouldn't mind playing something like Planetside tho.

Fredrik

i'm no musician but i think this fits your description

Not really my thing but for games I think the first Need for Speed on PS1 had a fantastic soundtrack 👌

I think in short I want Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera from the late 80s-early 90s but without lyrics, just the guitars and base and drums.

When I was younger I didn’t really listen to the lyrics, didn’t know english all that well, and was laser focused on the guitars. The older I get the more I listen to everything and the more I understand and the more broken everybody seems in that music genre. There is always some problematic childhood or drugs or hate toward the society or religion or the opposite etc and I’m just tired of it. I’ve been through enough crap myself I don’t need someone else’s crap on top of that. Just let me listen to the music. Sigh

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That kinda sucks because people have lifes, and I can't be logged in 24/7 to protect my house in Rust from some stinky neets that want to cum all over my place.
That's a specific pain point that will be easy to sand down via game design. Star Citizen for example, doesn't require you to be online 24/7 to protect against attacks.

Guilty_AI

Not really my thing but for games I think the first Need for Speed on PS1 had a fantastic soundtrack 👌

I think in short I want Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera from the late 80s-early 90s but without lyrics, just the guitars and base and drums.

As far as games go, worth checking out SIGIL I music:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As far as games go, worth checking out SIGIL I music:

Very cool! Although for that game I prefer the James Paddock midi OST.

Anything Andrew Hulshult is great too, specially his remake of the ROTT music.

Guilty_AI

That's a specific pain point that will be easy to sand down via game design. Star Citizen for example, doesn't require you to be online 24/7 to protect against attacks.
Most people don't want a game to become their second life either. That's the biggest issue with whatever grandiour visions you came up for multiplayer games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Except we don't. The most popular games have bite-sized game loops, or focus on grinding with other people being an optional element.
Low resolution perspective.

Compare the gameplay loops of the most popular games from 20 years ago to the most popular games today.

There's no denying the market is shifting rapidly to longer lobby instances with larger worlds. Not debatable.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

When I was younger I didn’t really listen to the lyrics, didn’t know english all that well, and was laser focused on the guitars. The older I get the more I listen to everything and the more I understand and the more broken everybody seems in that music genre. There is always some problematic childhood or drugs or hate toward the society or religion or the opposite etc and I’m just tired of it. I’ve been through enough crap myself I don’t need someone else’s crap on top of that. Just let me listen to the music. Sigh

This song came on Spotify last night and I thought holy shit, this sounds like a final boss fight introduction or something:

Then this came on right after and it has the same chords, I thought it was a continuation of the previous song. Blew my my mind:

Guilty_AI

GTA SA and Half Life 2 were not multiplayer.
You asked "the most popular games", not "multiplayer games from 2004"

In which case you'd get stuff like Warcraft or Starcraft where rounds could last as long as 40 minutes. You'd also get games like EVE online or Ultima Online which are exactly the kind of game with persistent worlds and player driven economies you think are "the future".

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You asked "the most popular games", not "multiplayer games from 2004"

In which case you'd get stuff like Warcraft or Starcraft where rounds could last as long as 40 minutes. You'd also get games like EVE online or Ultima Online which are exactly the kind of game with persistent worlds and player driven economies you think are "the future".
Le sigh...

GTA games have only gotten larger and more multiplayer focused since GTA SA.
Half Life 2 was never that popular.
StarCraft mutliplayer rounds averaged about 17 minutes. Dota 2 rounds average around 42.
Eve Online and Ultima Online were never that popular.

You bad at cherry picking.

Guilty_AI

GTA games have only gotten larger and more multiplayer focused since GTA SA.
No, it only got multiplayer focused on 2013 with GTA V (later actually as the MP mode wasn't greatly received at first). GTA IV had a MP mode but wasn't popular nor a focus, just some extra.
Half Life 2 was never that popular.
What about GTA SA? 🤔
StarCraft mutliplayer rounds averaged about 17 minutes. Dota 2 rounds average around 42.
Still longer than the 5 minutes rounds of today.
Eve Online and Ultima Online were never that popular.
They weren't!? Despite the fact they followed your future defining formula??? 😲

Last edited:

Griffon

There is a ton of amazing innovation in the single player space.
Whereas live service games are by the number cookie-cutter trash grind and aggressive anti-consumer practices.

So, what was your point OP?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No, it only got multiplayer focused on 2013 with GTA V (later actually as the MP mode wasn't greatly received at first). GTA IV had a MP mode but wasn't popular nor a focus, just some extra.

What about GTA SA? 🤔

Still longer than the 5 minutes rounds of today.

They weren't!? Despite the fact they followed your future defining formula??? 😲

You can't have a trend discussion with a cherry picker.

radewagon

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from." - Agent Smith

If not for threads like this, we'd all wake up. Jury's out on whether or not that would be a good thing.

Guilty_AI

You can't have a trend discussion with a cherry picker.
Have you ever heard of the Bloodbath of B-R5RB? It was one of the largest multiplayer battles to ever happen in a videogame. It involved thousands of players simultaneously and lasted for almost an entire day.

The motivations behind the battle, as well as the alliances, were 100% formed by players within the game's world and player driven economy. Nothing was staged by the developers, it was just a conflict that emerged naturally from the game's enviroment.

The battle was so massive that it was estimated to have over 300k dollars in real life costs due to all the losses incurred.

It all happened in EVE Online, a relatively small game on the grander industry that few play or want to play. I am sorry Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes but you are part of a niche. Unfortunately what you want to see in games isn't what the average, mainstream player desires.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Have you ever heard of the Bloodbath of B-R5RB? It was one of the largest multiplayer battles to ever happen in a videogame. It involved thousands of players simultaneously and lasted for almost an entire day.

The motivations behind the battle, as well as the alliances, were 100% formed by players within the game's world and player driven economy. Nothing was staged by the developers, it was just a conflict that emerged naturally from the game's enviroment.

The battle was so massive that it was estimated to have over 300k dollars in real life costs due to all the losses incurred.

It all happened in EVE Online, a relatively small game on the grander industry that few play or want to play. I am sorry Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes but you are part of a niche. Unfortunately what you want to see in games isn't what the average, mainstream player desires.

1*7sdzyGAgrGuzYuKn5hlVUQ.jpeg

Last edited:
This is more than an epiphany, it's embracing the future

With AI anything is possible.

Psychosis becomes reality.

I have been seeing posts online all week about removing working class people and making everyone administration. Just think how videogames would be then!

Maybe we could make videogames directly from the forum itself since we can admin the whole development system. Wild!

Engagement with your game would be on another level!

Videogames are due for an engagement upgrade anyway.

This whole influencers running the show is bad for my engagement.

Inject that in my veins!

Evilore would be President of the United Videogames then!

A new Superpower!

Last edited:
Top Bottom