• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II’s big global marketing campaign has begun

Fbh

Sony probably helped them a lot. If you are looking at Rebirth only I could somewhat agree with you. But if we look at the whole FF7 remake history I have to point out that Sony helped them with a very strong commitment for a 10 year trilogy plan that Square Enix maybe was not willing to make alone. And we still have another game to wait for.
What more would you want for it to be considered not a fake exclusive?

Maybe, without the details it's hard to know. But I personally doubt it
To me the only proper third party exclusive is something like Helldivers 2, Spiderman Ps4 (which was made before Sony bought Insomniac) or Bloodborne: When Sony (or another console maker) basically hires a third party studio to develop a game for them. If you are fully paying for the development of a game in an IP you own that's a proper exclusive, even if you don't own the studio that's actually going to make it.

Then you have cases like Stellar Blade which is a new IP by an unknown dev (at least in the west) with no track record making single player AA/AAA console games. That's a case in which I can buy Sony made a massive difference on the project and the game might not have been made or been very different without their involvement, so I think at least some of the credit is due.

But a massive multi billion dollar publisher like Square Enix remaking the most popular entry in their most popular franchise to a market that has proven multiple times that remakes and re-releases are financially lucrative? Nah, I'm not buying that Sony was fundamental in getting it made. To me that's a game that would have been made either way and released on multiple platforms, until Sony paid Square to not release it on other systems.
Maaaaybe the financial security from the Sony offer is what made them decide to milk it out into 3 games, but I'm still not sold that was the right choice.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Maybe, without the details it's hard to know. But I personally doubt it
To me the only proper third party exclusive is something like Helldivers 2, Spiderman Ps4 (which was made before Sony bought Insomniac) or Bloodborne: When Sony (or another console maker) basically hires a third party studio to develop a game for them. If you are fully paying for the development of a game in an IP you own that's a proper exclusive, even if you don't own the studio that's actually going to make it.

Then you have cases like Stellar Blade which is a new IP by an unknown dev (at least in the west) with no track record making single player AA/AAA console games. That's a case in which I can buy Sony made a massive difference on the project and the game might not have been made or been very different without their involvement, so I think at least some of the credit is due.

But a massive multi billion dollar publisher like Square Enix remaking the most popular entry in their most popular franchise to a market that has proven multiple times that remakes and re-releases are financially lucrative? Nah, I'm not buying that Sony was fundamental in getting it made. To me that's a game that would have been made either way and released on multiple platforms, until Sony paid Square to not release it on other systems.
Maaaaybe the financial security from the Sony offer is what made them decide to milk it out into 3 games, but I'm still not sold that was the right choice.
Interesting. For me if it was that easy to make Square would have made it alone. And if they needed just some money then I suppose that they could have waited and made deals with Google for Stadia, or Tencent.
I have to admit that they wanted to do it for a long time. But for me Sony gave them rock solid support and it helped them so much that they accepted other deals for games like Forspoken and FF 16. Same with Bethesda and Deathloop/ ghostwire. More often than not Sony give deals that make third parties go back and ask for more. Why think that this one was not another good one? And I hope that you will admit that Sony seems to have made back their investment.

Watching this game release
u1j1AKC.jpeg
mayce4i89hm41.jpg

I'm genuinely curious how the fuck MS gauges success.

For years, certain people (including MS themselves) have screamed that sales don't matter, it's all about Game Pass engagement, etc.

Now in less than a week that narrative seems to have gone up in flames and suddenly you better sell a shitload of copies or Papa Spencer is dropping the guillotine.

It's almost like they have no idea what they're doing.

I'm genuinely curious how the fuck MS gauges success.

For years, certain people (including MS themselves) have screamed that sales don't matter, it's all about Game Pass engagement, etc.

Now in less than a week that narrative seems to have gone up in flames and suddenly you better sell a shitload of copies or Papa Spencer is dropping the guillotine.

It's almost like they have no idea what they're doing.
the likely explanation? ms's dropping 'engagement', & re-embracing 'sales'. they're opting for 3rd party publisher contender over console contender, & their inevitable abandoning of xbox is beginning to resemble the u.s.'s abandoning of afghanistan...

demigod

Hellblade II screams console launch game so strongly that it's funny that it's coming out more than three years after the fact.
The last game in a similar situation that I can remember is The Order 1886.
I see another person that has failed at math. Please go sit in a corner along with the duck and streetsofbeige.

Also I was clicking on a site talking about United Airlines and armrests. They actually had an ad for this game!!! It lasted about a whopping 10 secs and it was just a rehash of last show’s combat.

Fredrik

But the fact that people are still buying the game instead of going for Game Pass is great.
I’m not sure what to do yet, might sign up for a short GP sub but might also buy on Steam. For me it depends on how it reviews, how good the PC version is, how long it is and if there is any post-completion content, if it runs on Steam Deck, if it works in VR, if there are cool mods.
GP is the one and done solution if I just want to go through the story once and don’t care about anything else.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
In case anyone wondering about letter-boxing...

"Our game camera is anamorphic with a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, meaning on your average display there will be letter-boxing."

You can't remove letter-boxing cuz there's nothing behind it, in other words - there's no 16:9 support and the game is made for ultrawide monitors. I'm sure there'll be mods cuz it's UE5 but it'll be something similar to the first The Evil Within if even that.

Last edited:

ryzen1

Man, I've heard more about this game when there wasn't even an actual release date.
Why is this game being advertised so poorly now?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Man, I've heard more about this game when there wasn't even an actual release date.
Why is this game being advertised so poorly now?
I have this game somewhere at the top of my anticipated titles. But at the end of the day it's still a small title by a small studio.

It's unique and well crafted enough for making a good impact at a gameshow, and It provides enough color and contrast for Xbox fans and PlayStation fans to fight over.

But no one should expect a record breaking seller out of this, NT and MS included. Thus I guess the somewhat low budget muted PR campaign? Idk

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

They lied the first time.

Oh My God Wow GIF by The Roku Channel

Whereas I can potentially understand that some industries experience paradigm shifts where "nothing is as it was" running a business has always been about the same thing: money. That will never change because...

war transformers GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom