• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny's Big Breakaway DF Review: 4K 120FPS Perfection on PS5/Xbox Series X/S - All Consoles Tested!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Penny's Big Breakaway is one of the best games of the year - brought to us by the developers of the stunning Sonic Mania. Evening Star does for 3D platforming what Sonic Mania did for 2D, offering up a fresh new take on the genre, delivered by flawless technology. John Linneman describes what makes the game so special, how the various consoles - and PC - stack up, and reveals a curious performance-enhancing tip for Switch users we've never seen before, that seems exclusive to this game.

00:00 - What Makes this Game So Good?
02:15 - The Gameplay - Sonic Physics in 3D
04:42 - The Three Pillars of Platforming Perfection
04:55 - The Graphics - Star Engine Shines
08:45 - Platform Comparison
09:59 - Performance on Switch
13:48 - Sound and Music
14:19 - Listen to the Awesome Soundtrack
17:37 - Let's Wrap This Up

adamsapple

- Made by Sonic Mania team
- Made using custom in-house technology called "Star Engine"
- Runs at '4K/120hz' on all modern platforms

- PS5 / Series X / Series S, all 3 run at native 4K at 120 fps
- 'Unbelievably responsive to play'
- PC version also launched free of stutters
- Steam Deck runs the game at 90 FPS at native resolution

- Switch version launched with 30 FPS but post-release patches added a Performance mode
- Performance mode targets 60 FPS but is double buffered, so any drops have immediate dips from 60 to 30
- The game targets the resolution that your Switch is set to at a system level. If set to 720p, all the above frame drops are elimiated
- The above step only applies to docked mode
- Outside of some specific levels, most of the game is locked to 60 at 1080p regardless
- Switch has lower draw distance in some stages than any other console version

intbal

This is the most Zool-looking game ever that wasn't Zool.

Amazing performance.
I wish more developers had the money, time, and talent to create custom engines for their games.

adamsapple

When this game was release? Are they locking those breakaway behind patreons?

No he starts the video by saying they know it's late but he wanted to cover the game since he liked it a lot.

x1

Fake

No he starts the video by saying they know it's late but he wanted to cover the game since he liked it a lot.

Kinda nuts. He could help the game initial sales by doing so. This game is like 2~3 months old right now.

Its a shame triple A gots more attention on covering those days.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Kinda nuts. He could help the game initial sales by doing so. This game is like 2~3 months old right now.

Its a shame triple A gots more attention on covering those days.

It came out in Feb, other big releases like Helldivers swallowed it up then and John has been on almost a month long vacation. No one else in DF probably had interest in this in the interim. This kind of game is John's forte.

sn0man

Does this have any local multiplayer? With the extremely performant fps and resolution some sort of split screen or other local multi would have been a fun add.

I really do not understand why this received DF coverage. IMHO the game is ugly and the only impressive thing about it is 4K/120 on Series S. I guess we are so used to broken low effort cash grabs that even a basic low poly game running at 4K/120 merits DF coverage.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Series S: 120FPS
Steam Deck: 90 FPS
Switch: 30 FPS

Price of the game would probably be in inverse to FPS, why are people still buying it, is above and beyond me

adamsapple

Series S: 120FPS
Steam Deck: 90 FPS
Switch: 30 FPS

Price of the game would probably be in inverse to FPS, why are people still buying it, is above and beyond me

They added a 60 fps mode on Switch with the day 1 patch and it's fairly solid minus some drops.

Top Bottom