• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The little manual holder clips inside the Switch game case… has there ever been a more useless invention?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I was just pondering the Switch game cases, they all have these clips above the game card holder that are apparently meant to hold some DS-sized instruction manual. I have probably 30 physical Switch games and I don’t think I’ve ever seen something using these clips.

Are they some useless vestige of a bygone era? Or is there some mythical game out there that uses them? I don’t even know what a physical Switch game manual is supposed to look like.

Nydius

Here ya go, now you can say you’ve seen something use those clips. Though I honestly agree with you because this is the only switch game I have that has anything in there.

Frankly, I find the entire Switch game case design to be completely wasteful. Do we really need these big ass plastic cases for these tiny cartridges?

eygZQuc.jpeg

Sorcerer

Here ya go, now you can say you’ve seen something use those clips. Though I honestly agree with you because this is the only switch game I have that has anything in there.

Frankly, I find the entire Switch game case design to be completely wasteful. Do we really need these big ass plastic cases for these tiny cartridges?

eygZQuc.jpeg
Back when the Switch launched retail for games was more of a factor. People need/needed to see the game in the glass case.

Nydius

Back when the Switch launched retail for games was more of a factor. People need/needed to see the game in the glass case.
You can still do that with a smaller case. A thinner 3DS case design would have been perfect.

Same thing with both the current Xbox and PS game cases. There’s really no reason to keep them that size or design when there are other options out there like the current Digipaks used by CDs. Consumers would still have packaging they could see and collect.

Sorry for the tangent. I just look at my plastic game cases compared to my digipak cds and think how wasteful all the plastic is for these cases. 🤷

Sorcerer

You can still do that with a smaller case. A thinner 3DS case design would have been perfect.

Same thing with both the current Xbox and PS game cases. There’s really no reason to keep them that size or design when there are other options out there like the current Digipaks used by CDs. Consumers would still have packaging they could see and collect.

Sorry for the tangent. I just look at my plastic game cases compared to my digipak cds and think how wasteful all the plastic is for these cases. 🤷
You are correct, but perhaps Nintendo did not feel the same way about it, especially coming off the WII-U.
I don't know if digipacks would work. Those things can fall apart quite easily. I could see the collector community get into an uproar about it.

Zannegan

I guess it makes for a slimmer case than having room for the manual stacked on top of the cartridge. Never really thought about it before though. Hmm...

Last edited:
One of my 3DS game cases has all those AI cards in it somewhere, I forgot which game. I used them once when I first bought it and never touched them again.

edit-I mean Switch case not 3DS case. My 3DS cases actually have printed books in them.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I use those to hold the receipt of the game, which is usually used as a warranty.

Wish we got game manuals tho. :lollipop_crying:

Nydius

I really wish we could have those colorful game manuals back. But apparently $60-70 (or more with special editions) isn’t enough for a printed manual.

Sometimes being old sucks because we remember the Way Before. I remember buying Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego for C64 with my lawn mowing money and the game came with the installation floppy disks, instruction manual, a FODORS travel guide, and an abridged World Almanac out of the box.

Now I get excited if there’s a little slip paper that isn’t an advertisement in a game case.

SScorpio

While a little slimmer, their size makes them compatible with BluRay security cases, and storage systems. Pretty much the same reason two DVD cases were the same size as a VHS tape in a sleeve.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I like to squish my cock under the clip and dangle the case from it, walk in like it to my missues and look at the disapointment on her face as she realises she has to spend the rest of her life with a man like me.
From my own collection I noticed a manual or art book in these games

Dead Cells, Cave Story+, Sonic Mania Plus, Sonic Origins Plus, Shantae Half Genie Hero Ultimate Ed
Wow. Well I hope Switch 2 cases have the clips on both sides. That way one side can hold the manual while the other side is clipped onto my dick

StereoVsn

Sometimes being old sucks because we remember the Way Before. I remember buying Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego for C64 with my lawn mowing money and the game came with the installation floppy disks, instruction manual, a FODORS travel guide, and an abridged World Almanac out of the box.

Now I get excited if there’s a little slip paper that isn’t an advertisement in a game case.
Yep, Big Box PC games were awesome for this. Fallout 1 and 2, Ultimate VII and more had such awesome packaging with regular price.

Which is why sometimes I buy the stupid “collectors editions” and even LGR crap since it reminds me of that. 😢

Astral Dog

eygZQuc.jpeg
The Switch cases are already much smaller than Xbox or PS, i like the 3DS case but imo for a "home console" like experience the size is right, smaller would hurt the cover

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
has there ever been a more useless invention?

Yes...

The N64 control crosshead. That crosshead was almost useless.

kaZ5x2M.jpeg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
has there ever been a more useless invention?

Yes...

The N64 control crosshead. That crosshead was almost useless.

kaZ5x2M.jpeg
You can use it in games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark or Sin & Punishment to move while aiming with the stick.

That's about 20% of the N64 library of games so it's not that useless. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Top Bottom