• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worth it for a 1.5k gaming laptop?

Hohenheim

I wouldn’t get another ROG Ally. ASUS has just been shown to have horrible and scammy support by Gamers Nexus. Basically stay away.

I haven’t had to service Lenovo’s consumer stuff so no idea on how they is. Steam Deck support is pretty great and so is the repairability.
I never had any issues with the Ally. If something is wrong with a device like that, I just take it back where I brought it and get a new one. But I read in another thread here that it's not that easy in USA? In that case, I would worry more about that stuff.

Gaming Laptops are premium patch jobs that are staggered performance on purpose.

Expect to take them in for maintenance every year.

Dr.Morris79

Why buy a steamdeck in 2024 when every other handheld is better?
6T6qSEP.gif

StereoVsn

I never had any issues with the Ally. If something is wrong with a device like that, I just take it back where I brought it and get a new one. But I read in another thread here that it's not that easy in USA? In that case, I would worry more about that stuff.
Usually in US you only have 14 to 60 days for that.

Not on Laptops it isn't. All to do with the power budget on the laptop in question.

A 4060 being fed 100w will outperform a 4070 being fed 70w.

..and even when both are being fed the same wattage, for a apples to apples comparison, a 4070 is no more than 15% faster than 4060.

Both GPUs are hot garbage, with only 8GB of VRAM and 128bit starved memory buses.

I'd only buy a 4070 laptop if it's been discounted to 4060 level laptop prices, I'd NEVER pay a premium for one.
Ah of course they're the Mobile variants of the desktop ones. Forgot about that.......

Don’t do it, especially at that price.

Gaming on laptops just isn’t fun especially if you plan to play AAA games. I brought a gaming laptop mainly for travel because I have a high end desktop PC and I didn’t like how loud it got playing some games.

I would recommend just getting one of the PC gaming handhelds or at least waiting until Black Friday to get one of the higher end laptops for cheap. In most cases you can’t upgrade the gpu or cpu in the laptop so you will be stuck with what you get which is why you want to take time with deciding what you buy especially if you plan to spend $1,500+.

Hohenheim

Usually in US you only have 14 to 60 days for that.
Wow.. that's really terrible. In europe, if you pay a small extra fee, you'll get extra insurance that covers everything for two years(for example if the screen breaks on a handheld/TV etc). And that's on top of the 3-5 year warranty you have if something goes wrong with the device (defect card reader etc)

StereoVsn

Wow.. that's really terrible. In europe, if you pay a small extra fee, you'll get extra insurance that covers everything for two years(for example if the screen breaks on a handheld/TV etc). And that's on top of the 3-5 year warranty you have if something goes wrong with the device (defect card reader etc)
Yeah, you could buy a warranty separately but still can’t just return an item. And warranties aren’t cheap. Probably $300ish for a 3 year warranty.

And even there for first year it will still go to the manufacturer which in this case makes it all pointless.

Grechy34

What a horrible advice... Yes, some of those downsides can be true, some are mitigated in different laptops, but why recommend lone of the worst windows handhelds out there? Even the Asus ROG Ally performs better and is much more portable. The Steam Deck OLED is a very serious contender too. The streaming capabilities of it are night and day compared to the LCD model. I can stream my main PCs and PS5 to it with no artifacts or discernable lag.

On the downsides:

"It’s hot." It's not about how hot it is, but the heat dissipation being good. Also you can undervolt to lower temps and increase performance
"It’s loud." Not a problem if you're wearing headphones. Also you can use above advice, lower the power profile a tad bit which will decrease fan noise to the 40db range which is barely louder than ambient noise
"It weights a lot." Depends on the laptop, but for the price range the OP is looking at you can get decent specs at under 3kg. Plus, you set a laptop on a desk, I don't think that's a factor.
"Design might be off-putting." That can apply to anything in life, there are 100's of designs and most even allow you to turn off RGB :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"Battery is terrible." Not really an important factor, a gaming laptop is used while plugged to the power, unless you're just doing very light gaming. For which the power profile should be set at low, with no fan noise whatsoever and running very cool.

I don't think it's terrible advice at all. I purchased the Acer Nitro roughly now 2 years ago; to keep it reasonably cool I have to use a feature called cool boost which is insanely loud. Even if you can't hear it with headphones, it's still incredibly loud. Without the laptop plugged I'd be taking an enormous hit to GPU power. They do weigh a lot but this wasn't so much a problem for me as I wasn't taking it out very much. Also an RTX3060 mobile vs a 3060 desktop is vastly different in power.

Overall, from my own personal experience (now my second gaming laptop) I wouldn't recommend one unless you're investing in something really premium and at that point I'd prefer a medium range desktop.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a gaming laptop below a 4080 OP. The lack of power draw for the lower end cards is too much of a sacrifice. Gaming laptops only really make sense at the high end. But you have to pay for it.

And if you don't move around much, a desktop is the better idea, anyway. I travel for long periods of time too much for a desktop, and can write laptops off as a business expense, so I have a Legion Pro with a 4090 in it, which is fucking marvellous - but was two and a half grand GBP.

I'd suggest a Legion Go is probably the best thing for you.
Have a similar one for around $2.6k. Lenovo usually has the best power to price ratio among laptops. Most 4090 laptops were $3k+ at the time.

I don't think it's terrible advice at all. I purchased the Acer Nitro roughly now 2 years ago; to keep it reasonably cool I have to use a feature called cool boost which is insanely loud. Even if you can't hear it with headphones, it's still incredibly loud. Without the laptop plugged I'd be taking an enormous hit to GPU power. They do weigh a lot but this wasn't so much a problem for me as I wasn't taking it out very much. Also an RTX3060 mobile vs a 3060 desktop is vastly different in power.

Overall, from my own personal experience (now my second gaming laptop) I wouldn't recommend one unless you're investing in something really premium and at that point I'd prefer a medium range desktop.
For that price range he can get a 4070 legion which has none of those issues. Just bought one with a 4080 less than a month ago for $2k, it's really good.

edit: thought i'd link up the deals

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...-legion-slim-5-gen-9-(16-inch-amd)/83dh0042us use coupon extrafive for to bring price to $1340 (rtx 4070)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745683-REG/lenovo_82wq002rus_16_legion_pro_7.html this is the one I got recently w 4080, around $2k

Last edited:

Grechy34

For that price range he can get a 4070 legion which has none of those issues. Just bought one with a 4080 less than a month ago for $2k, it's really good.

edit: thought i'd link up the deals

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...-legion-slim-5-gen-9-(16-inch-amd)/83dh0042us use coupon extrafive for to bring price to $1340 (rtx 4070)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745683-REG/lenovo_82wq002rus_16_legion_pro_7.html this is the one I got recently w 4080, around $2k

Fair enough . I'm based in Australia and these go between 4-5K which I'm not paying for a gaming laptop.

Top Bottom