• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Book of Henry, the latest film from Colin Trevorrow (Ep. 9), is reviewing poorly.

Daft_Cat

If I were Kathleen Kennedy, I'd delay Episode 9 by 6 months for "rewrites", then tell Trevorrow to pull some scheduling conflict out his ass and take a hike. Following this, I'd place information vital to the survival of Star Wars into the memory systems of an R2 unit and deliver it straight to Patty Jenkins along with a truckload of cash.

If I were Kathleen Kennedy, I'd delay Episode 9 by 6 months for "rewrites", then tell Trevorrow to pull some scheduling conflict out his ass and take a hike. Following this, I'd place information vital to the survival of Star Wars into the memory systems of an R2 unit and deliver it straight to Patty Jenkins along with a truckload of cash.
Literally the one thing Kathy *can't* do is up and delay the movie 6 months. A half-year delay into a new year, leaving no Star Wars film in 2019 and upsetting the release lineup for 2020 would have massive ramifications for Disney. That's something that would need approval from Iger and Horn.

Blader

Trevorrow is still part of the family (producing Jurassic World 2, which is also being produced by Kennedy's husband, Frank Marshall) so he's not going anywhere.

gabbo

So it sounds more like the script of the movie is terrible, and the directing isn't anything special but it's not downright broken on a 'The Room' level either. Jurassic World you can hold his writing against, but is this even his script?

DOWN

Banned
Never understood how they booked the guy behind Ozymandias and then decided finishing out with the shallow trash Jurassic Workd creator was a good plan instead

Daft_Cat

Is Patty Jenkins GAF's new George Miller?

*Shrugs*

I just think she's a well-qualified, progressive pick. And I'm sure she'd make a hell of a movie. Unlike Trevorrow. It would be nice to see Jenkins bring Rey's journey to a close - especially after her success with Wonder Woman. I'd appreciate a female perspective behind the camera in the same way I appreciate Coogler directing Black Panther.

Trevorrow is still part of the family (producing Jurassic World 2, which is also being produced by Kennedy's husband, Frank Marshall) so he's not going anywhere.

Those reviews are next-level rough though. I don't think his connection to Jurassic World 2 will mean squat if Kathy and co. get cold feet.

Blader

So it sounds more like the script of the movie is terrible, and the directing isn't anything special but it's not downright broken on a 'The Room' level either. Jurassic World you can hold his writing against, but is this even his script?

No, but what does it say about his judgment as a filmmaker that he read this script and went, "Yes! This is my next movie!"?

*Shrugs*

I just think she's a well-qualified, progressive pick. And I'm sure she'd make a hell of a movie. Unlike Trevorrow.

It would be nice to see Jenkins bring Rey's journey to a close - especially after her success with Wonder Woman. I'd appreciate a female perspective behind the camera in the same way I appreciate Coogler directing Black Panther.

I'd probably rather just have Jenkins continue Diana's journey with Wonder Woman 2.

I'll skip IX if he isn't removed. Jurassic World is trash.

daaaaaaaaaaamn

If this blows up enough I'm sure they'll take him off the film. Disney does not want a shitty Marvel or Star Wars movie getting crapped on via RT.

But Jurassic World did still make $1.6 bil...
Jurassic World was gonna make bank no matter the director behind it.

Trevorrow making a movie that has a confused tone and has no idea what it wants to be?

After Jurassic World?!

Shocking.

Jurassic World was as... watchable as it was in spite of him. Guy's not a very good director.

Anung

Un Rama
Jurassic World's problem was that it was so aggressively mediocre that it was shit. This being mentioned in the same league as The Room and Birdemic makes it a must watch.

OFb8XRf.png

LOL. I doubt the movie is that good.

Literally the one thing Kathy *can't* do is up and delay the movie 6 months. A half-year delay into a new year, leaving no Star Wars film in 2019 and upsetting the release lineup for 2020 would have massive ramifications for Disney. That's something that would need approval from Iger and Horn.

Episode 9 is currently scheduled for May 2019, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't delayed 6 months.

Ugh, I fucking knew it. I knew it.....

Disney, you IDIOTS. Why the fuck did you hire this guy......Of all the talented directors that would give their eye teeth to direct a Star Wars movie. Ugh....

*flips table*

CloudWolf

As someone mentioned earlier, Patty Jenkins, a female director who made a critically acclaimed oscar winning film, didn't get another chance until 13 years later
You're jumping to conclusions. Maybe Patty Jenkins was just busy doing other things during that time? Not everyone wants to be big, famous movie directors. I know a few award winning/Oscar nominated directors who are just fine working on smaller, off-the-radar stuff for the rest of their life.

They could easily do bigger projects if they want to, but they choose not to.

Episode 9 is currently scheduled for May 2019, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't delayed 6 months.

Frozen 2 is scheduled for Thanksgiving 2019, IIRC. Disney's not gonna let Star Wars cut out Frozen's legs like that (to be fair, they are letting it cut out Avengers 4's legs).

You're jumping to conclusions. Maybe Patty Jenkins was just busy doing other things during that time? Not everyone wants to be big, famous movie directors. I know a few award winning/Oscar nominated directors who are just fine working on smaller, off-the-radar stuff for the rest of their life.

They could easily do bigger projects if they want to, but they choose not to.

The full story is she got attached to Thor 2, left after a couple months, and went to do TV work and start a family after that. And from interviews, it sounds like she was offered movies, just not anything she actually wanted to do.

Osahi

Frozen 2 is scheduled for Thanksgiving 2019, IIRC. Disney's not gonna let Star Wars cut out Frozen's legs like that (to be fair, they are letting it cut out Avengers 4's legs).

The full story is she got attached to Thor 2, left after a couple months, and went to do TV work and start a family after that. And from interviews, it sounds like she was offered movies, just not anything she actually wanted to do.

Frozen and Star Wars may open on the same day, they'll still break a billion worldwide.

And Avengers would be fine too. People want to see these movies, they won't say: oh dang, they come out on the same day, now I have to pick one! They'll just see the other one the next weekend or so

aadiboy

I get the feeling that the production of these Star Wars movies is done by committee anyway, so it doesn't matter if one person is not good enough in their role. Either he'll be replaced or they'll make sure he doesn't fuck it up.

I get the feeling that the production of these Star Wars movies is done by committee anyway, so it doesn't matter if one person is not good enough in their role. Either he'll be replaced or they'll make sure he doesn't fuck it up.

That's not what Rian Johnson's had to say about working on The Last Jedi.

jb1234

Just finished listening to Giacchino's score. It's a colossal bore too. I was kinda hoping there would be *something* salvageable from this movie.

Nev

Banned
Is anybody actually surprised by this?

After the offensive piece of shit that was Jurassic World only a clueless bunch of dinosaur execs would put this talentless hack in front of the last movie of the new Star Wars trilogy.

Because clearly the fact that Jurassic World made a lot of money was this "director's" vision, not because of dinosaurs and the comeback of one of the biggest movie franchises ever.

Have fun with EP9 SW fans.

PnCIa

Activate the George-sign!!!!

On a serious note, Jurassic World was such a mediocre "created by committee" movie, i dont see how anyone can have high hopes just based upon this one movie. Maybe his new film is bad, doesnt mean that Star Wars will be bad as well. Maybe it will be average boringness just like Jurassic World, maybe it will be brilliant even. His track record does not indicate any genuis though.

ubique

They need to drop him asap. It's been a mistake since they officially announced him being attached.

There's a bigger chance of Kathleen Kennedy hiring two Colin Trevorrows than of her firing him, you can forget it

They call each other at 3AM when they have nightmares and shit. It's hopeless

C4Lukins

Let's hope he loses Star Wars. Not because he is some horrible human, but because he has failed to prove himself as even a decent director of film.

Seriously. They're dumb fun, Treverov can pull this off.

I mean JJ fucking Abrams proved that you don't need much talent to make a SW movie people like.

Are people really this reductive? In terms of direction, JJ (and his work on TFA) is great. Are people serious in putting Trevorrow on Abrams' level?

Neogaf, pls.

Are people really this reductive? In terms of direction, JJ (and his work on TFA) is great. Are people serious in putting Trevorrow on Abrams' level?

Neogaf, pls.

I'm far from a big JJ Abrams fan, but seriously. The guy actually knows how to use a camera to tell story for one.

Dinda

Guys they won't change directors now. No chance. What they can and hopefully will do is taking a good look at the script that he and his collegue wrote and go from there. If they can get a decent script maybe Colin can make a good movie.

Don't forget, if you would be a Star Wars fan in 1979 waiting for Empire, there could be a lot of cause for concern about Irvin Kershner, that guy really didn't set the world on fire before this. I don't have to tell you how it turned out.
So let's hope that in this case also the surroundings etc enable a not so great director to make a great movie.

Yea i'm telling myself this to comfort myself....but there is hope....i guess.

Top Bottom