• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney XD launching late night gaming block DXP, includes shows by IGN and Waypoint

kulapik

Disney is getting into gaming, launching D|XP, a daily summer overnight block of gamer programming aimed at entertaining gamers and esports enthusiasts ages 13 and up.

The multiplatform destination will feature content produced with ESPN, the Disney Digital Network, Maker, IGN, Attack Media, Warner Bros. Television Group’s Blue Ribbon Content, Banger Films, ESL and Vice’s Waypoint.

On Disney XD, D|XP will air from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. ET, beginning July 15.

"Gaming is a lifestyle for our audience. This summer, we're collaborating with leading creative partners in the industry to deliver original programming, access to some of the biggest esports tournaments and leagues, and entry to key gaming-related events,” said Marc Buhaj, senior VP of programming and general manager for Disney XD. "D|XP will showcase diverse storytelling across the video game landscape, and celebrate gaming culture and community."

Disney Digital Network will be producing Polaris Primetime, a weekly one-hour play-through gaming and variety show hosted by entertainment gaming personalities Jimmy Wong and Strawburry17 (Meghan Camarena).

DDN is also producing Parker Plays, a half-hour series starring YouTuber Parker Coppins, who will engage in comedic gameplay commentary.

SEE ALSO:
Altice USA to Move Headquarters to Queens

Waypoint Presents, from Vice, will examine how and why gamers play, focusing on the people, passion and politics of gaming.

Other programming includes: ESPN Esports programming that will provide front row access to major esports events; The IGN Show —a daily show from IGN Entertainment hosted by Alanah Pearce (Charalanahzard), Naomi Kyle and a team that delivers exclusive new game footage, expert gaming tips and prime coverage from the biggest gaming and pop culture events, executive produced by Wade Beckett and Blair Herter; and The Attack—a daily variety show with hosts Alex Corea and Erin Steeby

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/disney-xd-set-launch-gamer-programming-block/166529

Nanashrew

Banned
Here's the full PR statement via gonintendo
http://gonintendo.com/stories/28277...ng-block-this-summer-will-cover-nintendo-s-e3

Disney will debut D|XP, a daily summer programming block dedicated to the world of gaming, SATURDAY, JULY 15 (9:00 p.m.–3:00 a.m. EDT), on Disney XD. D|XP will showcase games, publishers, events and prominent personalities across the gaming landscape including both entertainment gaming and esports. The television and multiplatform destination – featuring content produced in collaboration with ESPN, Disney Digital Network and its Maker creators, IGN, Attack Media, Warner Bros. Television Group's Blue Ribbon Content, Banger Films, ESL (Electronic Sports League) and VICE's Waypoint – is designed to connect with gaming enthusiasts of all ages, with a core demographic of age 13+.

In making the announcement, Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, Programming and general manager, Disney XD, said, "Gaming is a lifestyle for our audience. This summer, we're collaborating with leading creative partners in the industry to deliver original programming, access to some of the biggest esports tournaments and leagues, and entry to key gaming-related events. D|XP will showcase diverse storytelling across the video game landscape, and celebrate gaming culture and community."

D|XP will feature original programming produced by Disney Digital Network via its gaming editorial voice Polaris and Digomind Productions including "Polaris Primetime," a weekly one-hour playthrough gaming and variety show hosted by top personalities in the entertainment gaming world, Jimmy Wong of Rocketjump and Strawburry17 (Meghan Camarena), with scripted comedy, skits and guest appearances by gaming personalities including MatPat, Joey Graceffa and sWooZie highlighting a variety of video game genres. Also from Disney Digital Network and Digomind Productions is "Parker Plays" hosted by Parker Coppins, star of the popular YouTube gaming channel ParkerGames. This daily half-hour series will feature comedic gameplay commentary on a variety of games. Other popular gaming personalities will be featured in "Polaris: Player Select," a "greatest hits" compilation series featuring top videos from YouTube stars from Disney Digital Network's bench of Maker creators, including Jacksepticeye, Luzugames, Strawburry17, LordMinion777 and LDShadowLady. Polaris' digital channels will also spotlight clips from "Polaris Primetime," "Parker Plays" and "Polaris: Player Select."

Waypoint, VICE's home for video game coverage, will examine how and why gamers play, focusing on the people, passion and politics of gaming. "Waypoint Presents" will cover the most important stories in gaming through in-depth profiles on key players in the gaming industry, behind-the-scenes looks at the creation of games, deep dives exploring the competitive gaming world, and intimate profiles of the people whose lives have been impacted by gaming.

Other programming includes: ESPN Esports programming that will provide front row access to major esports events; "The IGN Show" – a daily show from IGN Entertainment hosted by Alanah Pearce (Charalanahzard), Naomi Kyle and team that delivers exclusive new game footage, expert gaming tips, and prime coverage from the biggest gaming and pop culture events, executive produced by Wade Beckett and Blair Herter; "The Attack" – a daily variety show with hosts Alex Corea and Erin Steeby, delivering a unique blend of sketch and commentary, executive produced by Kevin Pereira; Banger Films' coverage of Nintendo's E3 Splatoon, Arms and Pokkén tournaments, original comedy-driven gaming co-productions with Blue Ribbon Content; and series from ESL including speedrunning and another where professional gamers and amateurs compete against one another.

Nintendo's E3 will be part of it.

kulapik

Also people, don't sleep on The Attack, if you liked Attack of the Show, it's basically an spiritual successor

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You may see a familiar game in that block. :D

Well obviously you'll see a lot of familiar games but yeah, looking forward to this!

RedBoot

"Daily summer block" makes it sound like a limited time thing, though obviously if it does well they'd keep it around.

Still, essentially getting Let's Plays on TV is interesting. I had wondered what kind of legal barriers there would be to getting playthroughs on TV (more in the vein of a US Game Center CX, but this works too). I'm sure Disney worked out whatever was there.

Boke1879

Looking forward to this. Anything that can push gaming content I'm all for. Miss having some sort of dedicated gaming on tv.

The early days of G4 were my jam. Then having gametrailers on tv was always great. Nice to see this.

Between this, the Ducktales reboot starting this summer, and the other good shows on the network, Disney XD is turning into one hell of a channel for the young teen/teen demographic.

It seriously needs to be in more cable packages though.

mreddie

Between this, the Ducktales reboot starting this summer, and the other good shows on the network, Disney XD is turning into one hell of a channel for the young teen/teen demographic.

It seriously needs to be in more cable packages though.

Marvel cartoons are the only stepback.

Marvel cartoons are the only stepback.

If Disney put one iota of freakin' effort (and budget) into their Marvel cartoons, Disney XD would be unstoppable.

I don't understand how pretty much every single Marvel cartoon since Disney took over has been terrible.

Anyway, it's great to see IGN and Waypoint on TV, especially since Waypoint is relatively new to the scene.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Also people, don't sleep on The Attack, if you liked Attack of the Show, it's basically an spiritual successor

I was sort of hoping it would be more of a mix of Attack of the Show and Electric Playground. I feel like both of those tv shows together would make something great.

Waypoint's podcast feed is telling me their show (Waypoint Presents) starts tonight

9pm EST on Wednesdays for next 8 weeks

Unfortunately I don't have cable

Lijik

When the kids are suddenly WAY into Dragons Dogma, yall already know why
List-Austin-Desat.jpg

Slayven

The premiere... well didn't do numbers that I see often.

According to Showbuzzdaily

0.0 (demo)/71K (viewers)

Watched the launch(the DXD gaming thing), it wasn't that interesting. They kept moving from subject to subject so fast. Cool in a 10 minute video, annoying in a 30 minute to an hour show. And charisma vacuum was real

Watched the launch, it wasn't that interesting. They kept moving from subject to subject so fast. Cool in a 10 minute video, annoying in a 30 minute to an hour show. And charisma vacuum was real

Yeah, I didn't love it, but that could be because this is the third doc series thing where I've watched Phil Fish talk about making a game. I like the stuff he puts out there, but he can be pretty grating.

The more docs about indie game devs that are created, the less interested I am in games that are personal to a specific developer. I feel like I've heard that story hundreds of times. I'd actually be more interested in how a massive game like Destiny gets made.

The premiere... well didn't do numbers that I see often.

According to Showbuzzdaily

0.0 (demo)/71K (viewers)

Yiiiiikes.

I don't know if a regularly airing gaming show (or block of shows) can last on TV in this day and age, but I do think there's hope for competitive gaming and tournament broadcasts. Eleague on TBS does well enough for them, doesn't it?

I have made an error - i don't live in the U.S. and so I am not allowed to watch :-(

I hope it works out for everyone involved. I'd also love to see Jeff Gershmann appearing on the Disney channel...I really really hope Waypoint could sneak him on as a guest or something.

Top Bottom