• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More next-gen analyst stuff

Vieo

lock if old

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060320/20060320005214.html?.v=1

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 20, 2006--Sony will continue its domination of the video console market through 2010, though its lead will likely shrink due to stronger competition from Microsoft and Nintendo, reports In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com). Through 2010, the Sony PS3 will account for just over 50% of the installed base of next-generation consoles, while the Microsoft Xbox 360 will have 28.6%, and the Nintendo Revolution will have 21.2%, the high-tech market research firm says.

"Microsoft will outship Nintendo in the next generation of consoles due to its head start in launching, its strength in the North American market, and its appeal to older gamers, a demographic that seems to widen with each new generation of consoles," said Brian O'Rourke, In-Stat analyst.

Ranger X

I'd like to see the details of their studies. Their work is very interesting if you knoe wich technique and stats they used for their projections.

Personnally i think it sounds about right for the PS3 here but for the Rev, i think it's a wild card they can't really forsee "logically" except if they think out of the box completely.

Xrenity

Beats me how you can already analyse all this stuff, when one doesn't know ANYTHING about Revolution and in less degree PS3.

At least wait untill after E3 with those predictions :\

Jim

Wyzdom said:
I'd like to see the details of their studies. Their work is very interesting if you knoe wich technique and stats they used for their projections.

Personnally i think it sounds about right for the PS3 here but for the Rev, i think it's a wild card they can't really forsee "logically" except if they think out of the box completely.

There ya go: http://www.instat.com/catalog/Ccatalogue.asp?id=162#IN0602145ME
It'll cost you $2,695 though :)

[Nintex]

Those analysts dont know shit.
No one knows before we finally see the finished Revolution and PS3.
Nintendo holds the wildcard of the next generation.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
they just base it off historical data (see: current generation), and poll a few people as to their "future purchases" to get a kind of "sample market" for NA.

They just take the historical data and so some kinda up/down ratio thingy math to the poll results.

So, in essence, not much every changes on these polls because it takes the current market and just asks people what they currently own if they'll buy the sequal platform.

Major yawner.

Ranger X

Jim said:

Hmmm, not if i register with my company...
But meh, i'm too lazy to go through the whole process only for this analysis.

And LOL at those taking analyst for cowards. Those are educated people with quite high grades. There's proven, logical and sophisticated methods they use to make PROJECTIONS. It's not the true, just the likely futur according to what's going now and in the past that you can count on.
They sure can make far more precise and accurate predictions than most of you.

Their marketshare predictions seem good to me. The PS3 is going to win this gen imo, but it won't be a massive owning like last gen.

PS3 - 55%
Xbox 360: 30%
Revolution: 15%

At the most, the Revolution could wind up with 20% of the market.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Wyzdom said:
I'd like to see the details of their studies.

CCG-Trans-D20.jpg

Obviously GAFers know more of business operations and economics than trained analysts. Obviously they may not be right but come on, they have more information and resources than we do.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Teh Hamburglar said:
Obviously GAFers know more of business operations and economics than trained analysts. Obviously they may not be right but come on, they have more information and resources than we do.
the main gist of their information and resources come from past trends.. which isnt a good basis for any speculation in this industry..

Teh Hamburglar said:

Many analysts have a double agenda. The stockmarket is influenced by them and a lot of money is riding on some of these predictions.

fresquito

Vieo said:
lock if old

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060320/20060320005214.html?.v=1

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 20, 2006--Sony will continue its domination of the video console market through 2010, though its lead will likely shrink due to stronger competition from Microsoft and Nintendo, reports In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com). Through 2010, the Sony PS3 will account for just over 50% of the installed base of next-generation consoles, while the Microsoft Xbox 360 will have 28.6%, and the Nintendo Revolution will have 21.2%, the high-tech market research firm says.

"Microsoft will outship Nintendo in the next generation of consoles due to its head start in launching, its strength in the North American market, and its appeal to older gamers, a demographic that seems to widen with each new generation of consoles," said Brian O'Rourke, In-Stat analyst.

Wasn´t this said about PSP VS DS, and DS has an older demographic?

My question is, does anyone pay those analysts for pieces like this? Incredible.

Can this analysis be made without knowing the price of the PS3 and more importantly the shipping numbers? If the PS3s price is prohibitive, or if they can't keep supply channels filled will they still control 50+% of the market?

The Dark One

Ranger X

DarkMage619 said:
Can this analysis be made without knowing the price of the PS3 and more importantly the shipping numbers? If the PS3s price is prohibitive, or if they can't keep supply channels filled will they still control 50+% of the market?

The Dark One

Yes, because when you make some analysis like this, you cannot consider to include the possible mistakes or bad fortune someone can have. Those possibilities are endless thus you don't consider any of them.

[Nintex] said:
Those analysts dont know shit.
No one knows before we finally see the finished Revolution and PS3.
Nintendo holds the wildcard of the next generation.

MAN MAN MAN

It's just so obvious that analysts can't comprehend how wonderful the Rev will be and how it will remake gaming. Luckily, we have scores of pre teen Nintendo fans to tell us this.

VIVA LA REVALUSHUN!! WILDCARD!!! DIDN"T THE DS TEACH YOU ANYTHING!!!?!?!?

Seriously though, I'd probably lower the PS3 and correspondingly rise the 360 & Revolution, but I agree with the general conclusion, based on what we know right now, which obviously can change once more details and some actual sales info comes out.

Deku said:
Did anyone realize this story is a PRESS RELEASE and not a News story?

Are you new here?

Since when aren't PR's new stories? News is new information. And, the numbers themselves aren't PR, their part of a report that In-Stat is selling. The PR was just a way to let folks know that the report is out there, not some hyperbole to tickle folks into spending $3G's by having a sexy headline.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The thing is, you can find an analist report to support or disprove your agenda of choice.....they have been all over the place.....

Although it might be pretty telling that no matter what report you read, they never have Nintendo in 1st place...

*runs*

Striek

Really, I don't think either MS or Ninty even think they'll win, or aim to win. I very much doubt they are aiming for a 100M+ userbase. Like everyone else they're results indicate Sony first, Microsoft second, Nintendo third - Sonys lead reduced. Seems fairly in-line with expectations for the longest time now.

Really alot of it is null until the price of the PS3+Rev are known. A $500 PS3 + $300 Rev is going to cede alot more ground than $400/$200. Also the actual function of the Rev just sits as a big unknown. I think it could do anything from outright second to distant third, depending on how intuitive and exploited it is. And Blu-ray could be a bigger factor than anyone is admitting right now.

Top Bottom