• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

People talking about console market dying are funny , PS4 right now is out pacing every console in history yes even Wii (which end up not being that great for certain reasons ) and even PS2.
Yes i expect the market is going to get smaller but that does not mean it's dying and certain factors like more people buying games on DD can even help .
Mobile is going to take away a certain part of the market but if those people were not buying certain games to begin with i don't care to tell the truth .
Companies will just have to diverse them self which they should be doing in the first place .

Mooreberg

I must be missing something here. Xbox One is tracking ahead of 360. PS4 is tracking way ahead of PS3. A lot of this drop has to do with how damn long the previous cycle of hardware lasted before this one started. 360 and PS3 hardware and software not dipping a few months into this cycle would be impossible, considering they've been on the market for twice as long as Xbox was when the 360 came out.

The smart argument isn't doom and gloom, but rather maybe publishers have put off the typical pain of a generational transition a lot longer than normal. If 360 and PS3 had five year cycles, they'd be out of the woods already and the new systems would have already seen their first round of price cuts.

ibtLiyj3hpbUVQ.gif

Had to see it in gif form.

Freaking great work lok

AniHawk

PS3 collapsed? Or Wii U did better than expected?

the ps3 was doing less than 100k in a lot of months last year. i wouldn't be surprised if it's down around 50k now.

seems that people weren't ready to buy into its large userbase at a lower price after all. $99 with practically no storage would have been the way to go, but so many games require an install that it would have been difficult to implement.

J-Rzez

I remember them having unexpected amounts of supply at launch. What happened to that?

They sold out of their initial stockpile? They are also accommodating other countries? Seriously, you can't find them in mass on shelves like the other two. I'm not sure why people aren't following this. Quad is probably right on with many people.

Now we'll have to see how long this can be sustained.

Wonder what WW numbers look like.

The drop-off for the next-gen consoles, and XB1 in particular, is remarkable. Didn't think it'd go this low just after Christmas..
I guess they both were right to launch their consoles before the holidays, despite some shortcomings in terms of software.
What do you not understand about demand outstripping supply?

Toki767

the ps3 was doing less than 100k in a lot of months last year. i wouldn't be surprised if it's down around 50k now.

seems that people weren't ready to buy into its large userbase at a lower price after all.

I wouldn't be surprised if most potential PS3 owners just opted to buy a PS4 instead considering it's only $100 more.

People talking about console market dying are funny , PS4 right now is out pacing every console in history yes even Wii (which end up not being that great for certain reason ) and even PS2.
Yes i expect the market is going to get smaller but that does not mean it's dying and certain factors like more people buying games on DD can even help .
Any contraction in userbase leaves software in a precarious position. Fewer people to sell higher cost of production software too.

the 3DS market shuttering like it has has got to have Nintendo scared. It's not the go-to sure thing anymore. Who was it on the last 8-4 podcast who was laughed at for suggesting Nintendo might announce a successor soon? I don't see why that is so outlandish. Nintendo has got to pitch a perfect game with their handheld business. They cannot afford for the next handheld to be the Gamecube or Wii U of the portable line.

johnny956

Wii sold 436K in it's first Jan

How many countries had the wii launched in by January 2007? Just curious. Personally I think Sony stretched their production too thin launching in so many countries at once.

Until I regularly see a ps4 in stock online and in stores (not in stock for a couple of days) then Sony WW numbers will be pretty amazing.

RexNovis

Banned
I mean it's possible Microsoft might pay for it if they think they need it, but I don't think it's going to play out the same way Titanfall 1 did. I think Respawn and EA will see the writing on the fall if they want Titanfall to a be a big franchise.

Most ironically appropriate mistype ever. At least I assume it is a mistype. If not, bravo to you sir.

Top Bottom