• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish Gamereactor #55 - Dark Sector not THAT bad!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Swedish SuperPLAY gave Dark Sector 3/10... this is what Gamereactor thinks:

Dark Sector
+ Nice graphics, huge bosses, some cool ideas
- Boring stages, stupid enemies, lots of bugs
6/10

Lost Planet (PS3)
+ Good looking theme, good action, unbelievable boss battles, loads of variation
- Too easy, bad framerate, not too sharp graphics
7/10

Bully 7/10
Sega Superstars Tennis 5/10
House of the Dead 2&3 Returns 5/10
Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3) 8/10
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn 7/10
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 6/10
Turning Point 3/10
Patapon 9/10
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity 6/10
Fifa Street 3 6/10

kbear

What were the + and - for Sega Tennis?

Btw, gotta wonder about this mag's cred if they said Lost Planet was "too easy"... it's the opposite of that, unless they were playing on the lowest difficulty I guess.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
kbear said:
What were the + and - for Sega Tennis?
+ Awesome SEGA-nostalgia, charming mini games, nice graphics
- Okay controls, unbalanced game characters, messy

Leezard

kbear said:
Btw, gotta wonder about this mag's cred if they said Lost Planet was "too easy"... it's the opposite of that, unless they were playing on the lowest difficulty I guess.

Between this mag and SuperPLAY, the latter is the one with more cred.

Gamereactor is a free mag that I find bad. :/

Yoshichan

nubbe said:
SuperPower has cred untill Tobias Bjarneby left. It is all about LEVEL now.
This is correct. Though a 3/10 for Dark Sector seems just wrong.

NoirYuki

You would think "lots of bugs" should be on Lost Planet's list too, though I'm not sure if that should be a + or -.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Seiken, if you have the time, could you tell me the +/- for the House of the Dead collection. It's a shame, I was looking forward to it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Seiken said:
Dark Sector
+ Nice graphics, huge bosses, some cool ideas
- Boring stages, stupid enemies, lots of bugs
6/10
So it's basically another Digital Extremes game. Sometimes I wonder about their funding.

Yoshichan

McBacon said:
Seiken, if you have the time, could you tell me the +/- for the House of the Dead collection. It's a shame, I was looking forward to it.
Absolutely.
House of the Dead 2&3 Returns
+ Shooting is entertaining, funny cutscenes
- Extremely repetetive, too short, worthless sound
Graphics 4
Sound 2
Gameplay 7
5/10

Blimblim said:
I don't know if one point below the PS3 version of Lost Planet could be considered "not THAT bad" :/

Or 2 points below UT3, for that matter. The more I think about it, the more I feel like UT3 is the 7/10 of this generation.

Funky Papa said:
So it's basically another Digital Extremes game. Sometimes I wonder about their funding.

Well, according to a few previews and interviews, the funding party seemed pretty strict with this one. Wasn't the whole re-design a publisher demand?

Kittonwy

Banned
It's all over for Dark Sector, I never get the whole "let's copy Resident Evil 4 controls" bullshit, it's not good controls to begin with, maybe it's an upgrade from old RE games but for a 3D action game it has never been optimal.
Indifferent2.gif

Patapon pwnz j00 rawr.
angry.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Funky Papa said:
Seriously. That's really disappointing. The 3/10 review seemed overly harsh, but seeing another poor review suggests that there is some substance to their opinions.

Pariah was so incredibly boring and the fact that the same word was dropped in this review gives me little hope for the game. Damn shame, really. It looked like fun.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, according to a few previews and interviews, the funding party seemed pretty strict with this one. Wasn't the whole re-design a publisher demand?
Actually I am wondering about how the hell they manage to stay afloat while other developers collapse.

Someone tell me why we are we still paying attention to this magazine when certain GAFfers (you know, people who have actually read it before) said time and time again said that Gamereactor is shit, despite the fact that it's free.

MicVlaD said:
Someone tell me why we are we still paying attention to this magazine when certain GAFfers (you know, people who have actually read it before) said time and time again said that Gamereactor is shit, despite the fact that it's free.

Er, why do people bother paying attention to magazines like EGM, or PSM? This one might be shit, well it is shit, but it's certainly no worse than EGM.

Nander

MicVlaD said:
Someone tell me why we are we still paying attention to this magazine when certain GAFfers (you know, people who have actually read it before) said again said that Gamereactor is shit, despite the fact that it's free.

Yeah, seriously.

When even people in Sweden don't give a shit about what Gamereactor thinks, why did you (OP) think GAF would be interested?

kbear

Kittonwy said:
It's all over for Dark Sector, I never get the whole "let's copy Resident Evil 4 controls" bullshit, it's not good controls to begin with, maybe it's an upgrade from old RE games but for a 3D action game it has never been optimal.
Indifferent2.gif

Patapon pwnz j00 rawr.
angry.gif
Awesome post. Why shit on the game like that based on two reviews by tiny European magazines that everyone accepts as awful?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Er, why do people bother paying attention to magazines like EGM, or PSM? This one might be shit, well it is shit, but it's certainly no worse than EGM.
Hehe, true. EGM is worth just as much time as this piece of shit magazine.

nubbe

manzo said:
SuperPower still exists?!?!?

I remember reading SP back in grade school. :eek:
Well, they changed name to Superplay when they stop being Nintendo exclusive. But I still call it Superpower :p

dark10x

kbear said:
Awesome post. Why shit on the game like that based on two reviews by tiny European magazines that everyone accepts as awful?
The reviews may not represent the final word on the game, but when you start talking about scores in the 3-6 range, you know something is wrong.

Kittonwy

Banned
kbear said:

Thanks.

Because I can?
Indifferent2.gif

There's just something about the game from what I've seen (trailers mostly) that seems pretty dull, I'm not sure if it's the level design, or the whole RE4-esque palette, or the main character design, or how the game controls.

kbear

dark10x said:
The reviews may not represent the final word on the game, but when you start talking about scores in the 3-6 range, you know something is wrong.
You may be right in the end but until I see reviews in the same range from reputable sources, I'm not going to pass judgment. You should probably do the same.

Kittonwy said:
or how the game controls
So you've played it?
whatever

Dyno

Opinions on the 'fun' to be found in games is one thing, but part of Dark Sector's low score was due to bugs. Are bugs a matter of opinion? If they're present and frequent enough to lower the score then that is worth knowing before purchase.

I have been keen on this game so I remember reading that this title has had significant change ups mid-production cycle. That's not usually a good thing and might explain a possible lack of polish and profusion of bugs.

But yes it is not yet time to make up one's mind.

Yoshichan

dark10x said:
SuperPLAY gave DMC4 a 4 too...

Kittonwy

Banned
kbear said:
You may be right in the end but until I see reviews in the same range from reputable sources, I'm not going to pass judgment. You should probably do the same.

So you've played it?
whatever

What does that have to do with anything? I don't like RE4-style controls.

kbear

Kittonwy said:
What does that have to do with anything? I don't like RE4-style controls.
It has everything to do with it, Kittonwy. Where does it say the game controls exactly like RE4? You're making assumptions, just like the "It's all over for Dark Sector" comment. You're annoying as hell, dude.

dark10x

Seiken said:
SuperPLAY gave DMC4 a 4 too...
Well, they suck.

Seeing yet another lower score for Dark Sector at least raises concern, though, wouldn't you say? If they were the only score being discussed here, I'd say there's no reason to worry, but with two low scores, you start to wonder.

Seiken said:
+ Awesome SEGA-nostalgia, charming mini games, nice graphics
- Okay controls, unbalanced game characters, messy

Hmm, 'okay controls' is a negative? Would 'not-okay controls' have been a positive? :lol

pswii60

Shame about Dark Sector, it looked good to me on the 1UP Show last year. I need more Gears style action!

I can't believe the score for Sega's tennis game. I thought it was using the Virtua Tennis engine, and the graphics and Sega fanservice looks awesome. :(

kbear

dark10x: oh, i agree.. you have to wonder

but
Danish GameReactor gave DS a 8/10
so there's one good score

honestly, i expect the game to be like a 7.5 to an 8 on average... which would be good imo. There's a lot of 7 to 8 games that i love like Conan

Barakov

I'm waiting for more opinions on Dark Sector before passing on it. The reviews thus far seem to come from magazines who are being harsh on games for the hell of it. That 4/10 for DMC4 kinda validates that point.

kbear

^ Conan was awesome... the combat was deep and incredibly satisfying. Lots of gaffers enjoyed Conan.. there's a few threads praising it

Yoshichan

Dr Zhivago said:
Hmm, 'okay controls' is a negative? Would 'not-okay controls' have been a positive? :lol
Wow I'm sorry >_<. I meant "Bad controls".

Salazar

Turning Point is taking an astonishing kicking. It's like one of those mafia beatdowns in films, where things spiral out of control and before you know it the victim is not so much chastised as dead. Probably deserves it, but I wasn't expecting the ferocity.

Dyno

Barakov said:
I'm waiting for more opinions on Dark Sector before passing on it. The reviews thus far seem to come from magazines who are being harsh on games for the hell of it. That 4/10 for DMC4 kinda validates that point.

Yeah, 4 is harsh for DMC4 because the game was not a failure but I was very disappointed with the recycled levels and boss monsters you fight up to three times with just one playthrough.

I thought the title deserved to be docked big for such things but most reviewers gave that trick a free pass.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Seiken said:
Absolutely.
House of the Dead 2&3 Returns
+ Shooting is entertaining, funny cutscenes
- Extremely repetetive, too short, worthless sound
Graphics 4
Sound 2
Gameplay 7
5/10

Thanks. Might pick it up after all, sounds like the issues are more with the original game than the port, and that's fine by me.

Ledsen

kbear said:

So you've played it?
whatever

Just because it's swedish doesn't mean it's not reputable. Gamereactor is one thing, but SuperPlay is a highly respected publication with lots of exclusive content and staff who have been working in the business since the 80's. Kojima even put a mock-up 60's version of SuperPlay in MGS3.

Salazar said:
Turning Point is taking an astonishing kicking. It's like one of those mafia beatdowns in films, where things spiral out of control and before you know it the victim is not so much chastised as dead. Probably deserves it, but I wasn't expecting the ferocity.

I bet Activision is taking particular pleasure in observing this train wreck.

Top Bottom