• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colombo

The writing is what makes the Uncharted series so special. I hope this doesn't signify a change in direction for the franchise!

Two game creators who made two of the most critically praised video games in gaming history taking over the helm is a massive upgrade, over a decent game creator. How is it not a good thing?

goddamn

i can't, what the hell am i reading? It's not possible that what people are posting in this thread is true. i just can't bring to myself to read a comment like this and not pinch myself to see if i am having a nightmare where neogaf is full of mean people.

Lol decent game creator. Amy was responsible for Soul Reaver, therefore nothing else matters.

This is a huge loss on Sony/Naughty Dog's part. She's gonna land somewhere, and Gob knows she's gonna do crazy awesome things.

what a bummer. i am playing tlou right now and so far i haven't seen all the amazing writing everyone's been talking about.

Uncharted is supposed to be a lighthearted indiana jones type series. Without Amy I can see Druckmann and Straley trying to make it more like "The Last of Us" where "shocking" deaths occur every other minute.

Goodbye Elena, Sully, and potentially Chloe.

We really need more info on this , i can understand them have a difference of opinion with Amy.
But forcing out someone is a whole other thing all together unless they wanted to change stuff and she leave which i could see happening .
Happens often in the creative industry .

Nafai1123

Banned
This news makes me sad. I'm a big fan of Amy (<3 soul reaver) and I wish her all the best. I'm sure she'll end up doing something great as she's incredibly talented.

I'm avoiding anything said in this thread as it's times like these when people make the most ignorant and infuriating remarks without knowing fuck all.

Mr. Fix

Uncharted is supposed to be a lighthearted indiana jones type series. Without Amy I can see Druckmann and Straley trying to make it more like "The Last of Us" where "shocking" deaths occur every other minute.

I wouldn't call UC3 light-hearted exactly. They definitely tried to make that one seem more personal and darker, imo.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Maybe he wanted some actual emotional weight in the story, instead of the cheap fake or unsubstantial deaths they continually pull off

Fair enough.

I just never saw Uncharted as emotionally weighty. You know all of the characters are gonna make it out alive eventually, but its the things they go through that are thrilling to watch.

Not everything has to be an exercise in dramatic excellence.

OmahaG8

Panic mode. Panic mode. Panic mode.

I read the first and last page of this thread and assumed due to the speed/size of the thread there was more info. I assumed wrong.

bender

What time is it?
Soul Reaver 2 is amazing and easily my favorite story in a video game. Uncharted is well done but I've always thought it was more akin to a popcorn movie. I'm sure she'll land on her feet.

As much as I liked TLoU I hope it isn't true Druckmann and Straley forced her to leave in some sort of power play. Especially given they seem really supportive of greater representation of women in video games. If it's true I would lose a lot of respect for them and think twice about buying their games, no matter how good. Would be prudent if we got some clarification soon because it seems like a really shitty thing to do.

anaron

everything seemed so cozy at ND and Hennig happy that I never even considered the possibility of Sony or anyone would to dare let her go due to her being y'know, their prized writer and all.

Regardless of the circumstances, you don't leave your own series unless something bad happened.

we don't even know what happened exactly.

but i will say this, Neil and Bruce were the best parts of Uncharted, and they proved it with The Last of Us.

viveks86

The Last of Uncharted?

Yeah you are seeing things. That's for sure

her writing for uncharted wasn't anything special anyways. she truly shined on legacy of kain series. but for uncharted that shit was all just b-grade mummy knockoff

LastNac

eCKro.gif

I'm worried the series has lost its way.

Hypothetically, what if Amy was being completely unreasonable about something and Neil and Bruce had no choice but to remove her? I don't think we have enough information about what happened to be acting as if it is some form of bullying by Neil and Bruce occured. That said, if you only like NaughtyDog games because of her I could see why you might not be interested in their games going forward. But to boycott them because of this, IMO, is a bit of an overeaction.

Why would IGN lie about this, they have no reason to

Interestingly enough a few days ago there was a post on /v/ (yea yea whatever) saying there was quite a bit of internal drama going on inside the ND studio between henning and Druckmann concerning the Left Behind DLC. She didn't like the direction Druckmann was taking the relationship between the Ellie and Riley, and after the entire drama she was threatening to resign.
I dont know exactly how much truth was in that post, but her leaving ND just a few days later and ign reporting the reasons why being internal conflict is pretty interesting.

rdrr gnr

The Hennig criticisms only make sense in the context of ND overall. Is ND worse off without Hennig? Well, we'll find out. But would any other major studio receive a huge boost from her presence? Absolutely.

sjay1994

I wouldn't call UC3 light-hearted exactly. They definitely tried to make that one seem more personal and darker, imo.

Exactly... how they ended U3 is the reason I was pissed of ND is making another uncharted.

Nate and Sully return to the airport in Yemen where Sully gives back Nate's wedding ring, which he secretly kept safe when Nate and Elena separated. Elena joins them and Nate offers her his wedding ring again. The two embrace with the promise of a fresh start, and the three fly back home on Sully's new sea plane.

The whole point was for Nate to stop living in Francis Drakes shadow, and be his own man. To settle down with Elena.

I feel like Uncharted PS4= the crystal skull of uncharted.

anaron

Funny how people are seriously trying to downplay her involvement when she's involved in basically every aspect of the game's vision

Sporty

Neo Member
Maybe she'll end up at Ready At Dawn with all the other ex-NDs or some other studio, not land at some studio that doesn't utilize her talent.

Fair enough.

I just never saw Uncharted as emotionally weighty. You know all of the characters are gonna make it out alive eventually, but its the things they go through that are thrilling to watch.

Not everything has to be an exercise in dramatic excellence.
Why do you think so many people are feeling tired of Uncharted though? We all know the formula, there is no risk or danger in the games.

Nerokis

It's great watching two extremes butt heads: Either Druckmann's a dastardly villain and Naughty Dog lost their only talent, or Hennig only makes shit and Naughty Dog is now better off losing one of its lead writers and creative directors.

Totally. I somehow didn't expect to see Druckmann called a cunt mere minutes after this vague report was posted, and I equally didn't expect to see people acting as if Hennig being gone would actually boost Naughty Dog. What a bizarre thread.

rouken

Wow guys, still defending people just because they made your favorite game ever. It's never right to force someone out of their job. Did amy kill the cats of those guys? Why did she need to leave the company? She could have just been relocated to another project if uncharted 4 is having some problems. Come on guys it's not like those last of us guys are perfect people and can do anything they like. If anything everbody is at fault here, but it's never right to force someone out of their job.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Amy's talents directed a much inferior game.

The loss of Hennig's writing talents is going to drastically impact the next Uncharted, I predict. People do not understand how integral and important she is to the portrayal of those characters. I know TLoU is the new hotness and such, but as an Uncharted fan this is very, very saddening news.

It sucks that she's left. She's immensely talented.

But I'm not going to swallow the whole "forced out" bit until something or someone more credible verifies it in some manner.

JLeack

Banned

Uncharted: Game of Thrones.

maneil99

Exactly... how they ended U3 is the reason I was pissed of ND is making another uncharted.

Nate and Sully return to the airport in Yemen where Sully gives back Nate's wedding ring, which he secretly kept safe when Nate and Elena separated. Elena joins them and Nate offers her his wedding ring again. The two embrace with the promise of a fresh start, and the three fly back home on Sully's new sea plane.

The whole point was for Nate to stop living in Francis Drakes shadow, and be his own man. To settle down with Elena.

I feel like Uncharted PS4= the crystal skull of uncharted.
So telling a full story is bad now? You have no idea how Uncharted 4 will link to Uncharted 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom