• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Makes Titanfall so Special?

Darg

Neo Member
Not in most console shooters anyway.

Now im reminded of unreal championship 2, that one seemed to have been ahead of it's time, if only the online was still up for it, or if epic would have released a port of it for pc.

You coud probably even deflect sniper rounds if you were good enough at that game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
MAybe not 100% equivalent but wall jumps were in Unreal games? That leaving aside PC mods for shooters, seen even more crazy stuff in there XD

The Unreal case it was withouth mods, completly out of the box.

Leaving Titan Fall aside, is somewhat amusing to hear opinions from people that were outside the arena shooter bubble of the late 90's early 2000's.

Come on Unreal had didn't have wall running. which is more fluid than repeated wall jumps.

Ramenman

Wallrun -> jump to another wall -> jump on a building -> kill a player who stands on the building -> pilot, your titan is ready - > summon you Titan -> jump into it directly from the air

-> fight with other titans -> kill one -> get doomed -> eject into the skies -> fall directly back on a NME Titan -> finish him in rodeo -> jump on a building -> kill a player who stands on the building -> pilot, your titan is ready... etc :D

It just goes on and on and on, lots of very cool and different things that just chain into each other.

Also, something could be said about having an awesome outcome to failure for most things.

For example, if your Titan is doomed, you eject and ejecting is freaking cool.

When you lose the match, you get a chance at escaping to your dropship, which is equally freaking cool when you can manage it.

Honestly every time I manage to properly evacuate I'm so freaking proud I keep forgetting that if I had to do it in the first place, it's because my team lost :p

TheLaw

Banned
Its fun and addictive. Playing with friends on Xbox, and mechanics, maps, weapons and everything is just too good and balanced.

It seems a lot of people are complimenting the freedom of movement in Titanfall as a big reason for it being so fun. Tribes had more freedom of movement, more speed, more variety in roles, skiing and jetpacks.

I'm a huge fan of Tribes so perhaps I am biased, but if freedom of movement was the main contributing factor for a lot of people's enjoyment of Titanfall then why hasn't Tribes been more successful over the years?
Tribes is right there sir. Incredible traversal and freedome. The failed Brink had some solid traversal mechanics also.

To answer your question, i'll shoot another one your way:

How big was Tribes marketing budget?

eek5

Map design is really good IMO. Moving around the levels is just as fun as killing dudes.

Sometimes I find myself just parkouring around lol

Serick

Married Member
I'd say it's dumber than CoD.
Don't get me wrong--I think the game's fucking fantastic, and it's the most fun I've had with a shooter since CS 1.6.

That said, the mobility makes and ruins the game. There's no punishment, no downtime for making the wrong move, because 90% of the time you can get out of a situation unscathed with sheer mobility because it's so hard to break momentum.

Inaccessible combat.

The game offers many more opportunity for smart gameplay than any CoD I've ever payed. I can be losing a fire fight, jump out the window, hit stim, wall run into the window behind them, and kill them.

In CoD or even BF4 I've always found that if I start a firefight on the losing side of the equation I always lose.

Thinking about how to get from point A to point B in Titanfall is thought provoking in and of itself. Far more than the "Spawn in Jet, eject and crash it into the hotel" gameplay of Battlefield 4.

nded

Have you actually played Mirror's Edge recently? Because it doesn't control nearly as good as I remembered from my first play-through.

I just think the two game are aiming for different interpretations of 'parkour' and can't be directly compared. Mirror's Edge has a more realistic take whereas Titanfall is basically Prince of Persia with double jumps and no fall damage. Just because something is easier doesn't make it better.

Also, what "PC shooters" have that kind of fluidity of movement?

Edit: Without mods.

Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament series, Tribes.

Lingitiz

Titanfall is great, it's a very polished take on the COD style shooter and adds significant changes with parkour and Titans to change things up.

That said, it's not a gamechanger in any sense. It does what it sets out to do very well, but it doesn't really offer anything in terms of structure that will be chased by other devs in the next few years. A little disappointing since I was hoping the campaign MP would be their chance to spice things up a bit.

It's still a great game, just know what you're getting into.

Serick

Married Member
I just think the two game are aiming for different interpretations of 'parkour' and can't be directly compared. Mirror's Edge has a more realistic take whereas Titanfall is basically Prince of Persia with double jumps and no fall damage. Just because something is easier doesn't make it better.

Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament series, Tribes.

Fair enough.

Funny enough I enjoy PoP more than Mirrors Edge, and that list of FPS more than CoD/BF.... Guess I'm respawn's target demographic. It's just been so long since I've had anyone to play Unreal, Quake, or Tribes with that they've kind of fallen off for me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You're conveniently looking at only one part of it. Where did the part about Sony consoles come from?

Common sense, it'll either include Nintendo also but the message is the same. Not like that changes anything. It's pretty hard to misinterpret what he said and yet people are trying to argue otherwise.

border

That said, the mobility makes and ruins the game. There's no punishment, no downtime for making the wrong move, because 90% of the time you can get out of a situation unscathed with sheer mobility because it's so hard to break momentum.

Given that the time between when you start taking damage and when you die is often less than 2 seconds, I'm not sure how you can say that 90% of combat scenarios are escapable. Not to mention all the one-shot Titan weapons.

eek5

I've had people get me with some awesome midair kills and I've gotten some neat Titanfall kills.

Haha yeah. I've gotten killed a bunch of times where I'll watch the kill cam and be genuinely impressed by what the other player did. I don't think I've ever had many moments like that in any other FPS. Usually in COD it's some bullshit death from a guy who respawned behind you or you spawning into someone's crosshairs.

Speaking of spawns.. I don't think I've had a bad one yet.

1. Every map is fantastic. You don't feel the need to skip any map. All maps feel well balanced and you rarely have any "spawn campers".

2. Even if you suck at shooters, you can still rack up a lot of points by fighting the bots to get a hang of the game.

3. Traversal battles are amazing. Its feels very fluid and very smooth. There is no more campers who get to the top of the building that no one else can. You see something in the map? You can reach it, whether you reach it by climbing or ejecting a Titan is up to you.

4. The starting weapons are the best. You don't need to go unlock weapons as all weapons feel evenly balanced, with the starting weapons being the most useful. The starting 3 classes for Pilots and Titans are also good enough for you to not feel at a disadvantage.

5. Great multiplayer Campaign. As much as it's a multiplayer game, the campaign feels fun. You are still playing a multiplayer but with a story supporting the events of the battle.

6. Burn Cards are a great way to have some advantage for that life of yours. They work great, they give you a slight buff but will go away if you die. Its a very progressive transition for the "deathstreaks" in previous games that do no good.

7. Perks/Abilities are balanced. In Call of Duty games, they're some of the worst things I've seen. In Titanfall, they're all balanced and none will give you crazy advantage and everything has a balanced counter.

8. Titans are amazing! I hated the idea of Titans as Killzone had ridiculously bad mech balance. In Titanfall, fighting a Titan is very balanced and playing as one is too. You can take down a Titan as a pilot very easily, and you can take down a pilot as Titan easily too.

9. The match completion sequence is so awesome that you don't mind if you lose! In fact, I've won so many battles that I don't mind losing once in a while so I can escape. Basically, both sides have one life when the match ends and you have to escape as the losing side, while the winning side prevents you from escaping.

10. As noob-friendly it is, skilled players can dominated if they play well.

11. You are a total badass even without trying. Games try way too hard to make you this badass character that feels fake but here they barely try. Amazing environments and music! Music makes it feel so intense and badass! Your commander admiring your skills is also a great feedback that every game needs. No one wants to hear someone pissing on your mom's grave all the time so its great to hear commends and praises even if its the A.I. praising you. It pushes you to continue the streak and I have.

The biggest problems with Titanfall is lack of matchmaking. Seriously, there is no scramble, no nothing. If your team is good, prepare to dominate for the rest of the hours. People leave the lobby because of lack of matchmaking and it needs to be fixed in future updates ASAP.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Given that the time between when you start taking damage and when you die is often less than 2 seconds, I'm not sure how you can say that 90% of combat scenarios are escapable. Not to mention all the one-shot Titan weapons.

It actually is as you get better at the game. Hence why some people have insane kill ratio's the trick is knowing precisely where you attacker is and moving accordingly.

The real certain kill is the shot gun because it's insta kill at a bullshit range.

After playing the beta on PC, it reminiscent of twitch shooters of yesteryear. Other than that, 6x6 is silly with bots...grunts running around to fill it out.

Prezhulio

fluid movement, wall running, and balance of mech to pilot is great. it's removed enough from call of duty to not be bogged down by some of the bs in it.

but god the first two gifs in this thread makes me sad i have the xbone version and not pc. i hope they improve performance.

Bessy67

5. Great multiplayer Campaign. As much as it's a multiplayer game, the campaign feels fun. You are still playing a multiplayer but with a story supporting the events of the battle.

I agree with a lot of your other points but this one I really don't. The "campaign" is just regular multiplayer matches with some voice overs before, during and after. I mean, they give some context to why you're fighting but it's still pretty threadbare. The only part of the campaign that really stood out to me was the beginning of the Demeter mission for the Militia.

Klocker

1. Every map is fantastic. You don't feel the need to skip any map. All maps feel well balanced and you rarely have any "spawn campers".

2. Even if you suck at shooters, you can still rack up a lot of points by fighting the bots to get a hang of the game.

3. Traversal battles are amazing. Its feels very fluid and very smooth. There is no more campers who get to the top of the building that no one else can. You see something in the map? You can reach it, whether you reach it by climbing or ejecting a Titan is up to you.

4. The starting weapons are the best. You don't need to go unlock weapons as all weapons feel evenly balanced, with the starting weapons being the most useful. The starting 3 classes for Pilots and Titans are also good enough for you to not feel at a disadvantage.

6. Burn Cards are a great way to have some advantage for that life of yours. They work great, they give you a slight buff but will go away if you die. Its a very progressive transition for the "deathstreaks" in previous games that do no good.

7. Perks/Abilities are balanced. In Call of Duty games, they're some of the worst things I've seen. In Titanfall, they're all balanced and none will give you crazy advantage and everything has a balanced counter.

8. Titans are amazing! I hated the idea of Titans as Killzone had ridiculously bad mech balance. In Titanfall, fighting a Titan is very balanced and playing as one is too. You can take down a Titan as a pilot very easily, and you can take down a pilot as Titan easily too.

9. The match completion sequence is so awesome that you don't mind if you lose! In fact, I've won so many battles that I don't mind losing once in a while so I can escape. Basically, both sides have one life when the match ends and you have to escape as the losing side, while the winning side prevents you from escaping.

10. As noob-friendly it is, skilled players can dominated if they play well.

11. You are a total badass even without trying. Games try way too hard to make you this badass character that feels fake but here they barely try. Amazing environments and music! Music makes it feel so intense and badass! Your commander admiring your skills is also a great feedback that every game needs. No one wants to hear someone pissing on your mom's grave all the time so its great to hear commends and praises even if its the A.I. praising you. It pushes you to continue the streak and I have.

nailed it

border

It actually is as you get better at the game. Hence why some people have insane kill ratio's the trick is knowing precisely where you attacker is and moving accordingly.

Except that you're generally dead by the time you can discern where your attacker is?

Thanks God for the manufactured hype and all the big marketing push, I would've never been able to enjoy it as much if it wasn't for that.

So I've played the game over the weekend on my PC and quite frankly...

It captivates that 30 seconds of excitement Bungie aimed for and makesure it never ends. AS the poster above has put in his Titanflow chart, it's pretty much that, but awesome.

They've some how managed to repackage that feeling of MW1 where shit's going off everywhere thick and fast without being a straight up copy. Perks and killstreaks are gone but you still have your Titan and burn cards to make up for it.

I can't think of anything as exciting as ejecting from your Titan. In Battlefield it's admission of defeat; in Titanfall you're merely moving onto the next target.

sk3tch

Are all the people bitching about the X1 graphics in here people that have actually played it extensively on X1? I feel like anyone that has played the game on X1 will no longer have complaints. Sure, it has faults - but it is so damn fun. Any console game is going to be an exercise in compromise versus the PC version. I have both versions, and play the PC one on a high-end PC (i7 4770K, 16GB, R9 290X - although I have two, one is disable until Respawn fixes multi-GPU) - the X1 version is still incredibly fun and quite amazing for a console game.

border

That's because your bad... or you don't have perks/cards/map awareness for it. There's numerous ways to have a rough idea where people are.

So if someone is in a second story window 20-30 yards behind me capping people, how do I know that they're there? The Audio/WallHack stuff is nice for interiors of building and such, but it has a cooldown and plenty of the game takes place outside of corridors.

TrueGrime

It's new. We have year after year after year of the same 'ol FPS's. Even thought TF might follow that same mantra, it's the beginning the the series and therefore feels fresh.

It made me uninstall BF4 and CoD: Ghosts. I will never go back to those.

RonanN1

Banned
The PC version may look better but the X1 version is more fun to play.

*p.s.

If you own a gaming PC and an X1 get titanfall for X1, you can play HAWKEN on PC :) (excellent game).

Pjsprojects

Its great when it works,this weekend has been a total loss for me due to server disconnect nearly every time I load the game, UK pc.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So if someone is in a second story window 20-30 yards behind me capping people, how do I know that they're there? The Audio/WallHack stuff is nice for interiors of building and such, but plenty of the game takes place outside of corridors.

There's a perk that lets you see through walls at a reasonable distance. That means you can see those snipers up in that building if they are not too far away. If you were In the open that long that they could gun you down completely well then you shouldn't be running in the open on the ground.

Also that can be mitigated if your good in a titan as that issue completely disappears.

They nailed the feel, traversal, and general gameplay loop.

Also, it has a lot of reinforcement such as you lose your titan, but get rewarded by the fun ejection where you quickly determine where to land. Even losing a match gives you the evacuation. It's a game I just don't get angry playing.

The not getting angry part is true, while learning everything in the Beta. Win or lose. I was having lots of fun.

Kade

Take something from everything and puts it into one perfectly executed and well balanced shooter. It's easy to pick apart any game and say "well X and Y game has that/did it first" but you're not looking at the whole picture. Does X also have all the other things Titanfall does? Answer is always going to be no.

oti

Banned
Every second is exciting/interesting/fun.

It's the Jetpack Joyride of FPS.
Jetpack (cool) -> Dragon (super cool) -> Jetpack (still pretty cool)

DryvBy

I notice even haters of it still tread lightly with words like "It's fun" or "It's okay". I haven't seen a lot of downright hatred for the game like say BioShock Infinite. Is everyone's too worried about being labeled a Titanphobe?

But to answer your question, the movement speed. Casuals feel like they're good. The Titans feel like giant players next to you (I found them to be boring to ride in). It feels close enough to old school shooters. "It's just fun". In a sense, it's good because it might bring back fast paced shooters. However, nothing moves as fast as Q3A to me. I loaded it up after playing the beta and still prefer that crazy bunny-hopping mess.

Nokterian

This is also something you can't do in other shooters.

ibvVJuxolGPFbg.gif

Greatest feeling ever..also hang on a wall during hardpoint is fun!

sk3tch

The PC version may look better but the X1 version is more fun to play.

*p.s.

If you own a gaming PC and an X1 get titanfall for X1, you can play HAWKEN on PC :) (excellent game).

Not seeing it. Pretty fun on both platforms. I wouldn't say the X1 is any kind of "held back" version if that is what you're intimating. I love both but probably give the edge to PC for the graphics customization and mouse/kb controls alone.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Titanfall players on Xbone. I'm curious as to whether online player counts for Ghosts and BF4 took a hit after it's release?

Top Bottom