• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Construction Combat: Lock's Quest -- New DS title from 5th Cell (Drawn to Life)

From http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Construction+Combat:+Lock's+Quest/news.asp?c=6332

pocketgamer said:
The title is being developed for DS by 5th Cell, the makers of the quirky Drawn to Life. Described as combining the action/adventure and life simulation genres, it has you creating a virtual world block-by-block in an attempt to defend your homeland from invading enemies.

Your character, young Lock, is part architect and part engineer, and you can use these skills to build new structures around sacred Source Artefacts to protect them. Materials such as stone, metal and wood can all be used with varying success to create and design defence towers in the battlefield. The weapon selection promises to be quirky and diverse, with quicksand traps and glue cannons on offer.

...bumping up for the interested parties with screens

lock-nation-20080401070534833-000.jpg
lock-nation-20080401070535723-000.jpg

already looking really, really awesome (more here: http://media.ds.ign.com/media/142/14244131/imgs_1.html)

Haunted

"Archineers" >_<

Art certainly looks nice, but I'm not particularly interested in the life simulation aspects.

Avrum

Very nice...in fact the main character reminds me a lot of that boy Raposa from Drawn to Life. (forgot his name)

Davidion

Wait, so is this somewhat like a more complicated version of Rocket Slime? That'd be kind of awesome. I'd love to see some more indirect combat games.

I still miss my copy of rocket slime (and Mario Kart and Brain Age) that I lost. *weeps*

Jackson

its not really like rocket slime... I gues since you can "make turrets" and such its a bit like rocket slime...

it's more like an arcade style... one man RTS... where you build defenses... then fight... all stylus based... with touch mini games...

IGN had massive praise for it on their hands-on preview

http://ds.ign.com/articles/863/863973p1.html

I'm going tobe showing it off tonight to the press at THQ's Gamer Day

RiskyChris said:
This sounds awesome.

I'm getting a tower defense vibe.

For sure. It has a huge Tower Defense feel.

Also, the name is now just "Lock's Quest." We made the official change this morning in our hands-on for it.

And yeah, put it on your radar for sure. It's like Drawn to Life, but is now as sexy to play as it is to look at.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Bozon-IGN said:
For sure. It has a huge Tower Defense feel.

Also, the name is now just "Lock's Quest." We made the official change this morning in our hands-on for it.

And yeah, put it on your radar for sure. It's like Drawn to Life, but is now as sexy to play as it is to look at.

:eek:

Day 1 confirmed confirmed!

CTLance

TD? I'm there, day one.

Still praying for a portable VectorTD. Not that there's any indication it might come, but... BELIEVE. If others can dream up an XBoy, I can dream up a portable Rez-styled Tower defense.

Jackson

THQ's Gamer Day was really cool, everyone I showed Lock's Quest off to was really hyped about the game. I had one guy ask me if we were porting teh game from Japan :lol I was like no dude... 5TH Cell is located in Seattle...

Anyway some new screens below from DSfanboy...

locksquest04070802.png
locksquest04070803.png
locksquest04070801.png

Man, that does look good. The DS went through a bit of a dry spell for me, but now everywhere I look there's another game I want.

Amir0x

Banned
DSFanboytrue.jpg

Jesus that looks excellent.

After Drawn to Life, I'm pre-ordering this shit the second it is available.

Also

++ For going all 2D again
++ For such a unique gameplay formula
++ For being awesome

-/+(?) All stylus control

Beezy

A western developer making original games for the DS. I bought Drawn to Life for my nephew and I'll buy this for myself if it turns out to be as good as it looks.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Amir0x said:
++ For going all 2D again
++ For such a unique gameplay formula
++ For being awesome

Well to be honest it really sounds like a tower defense game with a few tweaks and modifications, but it's not like there any of those types of games on the DS, so count me in as some what excited.

Jackson

Gig said:
Well to be honest it really sounds like a tower defense game with a few tweaks and modifications, but it's not like there any of those types of games on the DS, so count me in as some what excited.

It really started out as building block game... and then kinda went well.. what do you build with blocks? Castles... cool.. ok so you built your castle... now what? How about defend it from an invading army!

It's a lot deeper than any Tower D game you've ever played, mostly because it never set out to be a Tower D remake, so the we didn't draw inspiration from those types of games, we didn't say "well how did they do it?" We drew inspiration from far deeper sources

Amir0x said:
oh yeah, the title could use some work!

This. (we didnt choose this title lol)

nestea

Honestly, this is the type of game I've been wanting for my DS all this time. Pre ordered as soon as I saw the first screens.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sure has been good lately for the DS

Knights in the Nightmare, Valkyrie Profile: The Accused Ones, Trauma Center UTK 2, Perfect Prosecutor, Band Brothers DX, Guitar Hero: On Tour, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix and now this

Having never played TD, I am more reminded of The Horde and Interplay's Castle series of games. Lock's Quest looks great, and I am glad to see an original action-strategy game on the system.

Top Bottom