• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 GDC 2014 presentation: Low-Level Access, DX11 GPUs, Holiday 2015

Here is anoter question: IF the XB1 can take advantage of this stuff (which I remain somewhat dubious on) can the PS4 do so as well?

Here is anoter question: IF the XB1 can take advantage of this stuff (which I remain somewhat dubious on) can the PS4 do so as well?

It can, but it won't

Also:
thumb900_phprlnt1dp1010609.jpg

mephixto

Banned
When will the first GPUs supporting this release?

Will Maxwell support DX12?

Overhead issues should be hardware agnostic, its something that MS was supposed to adress years ago.

Other features included on DX12 are probably tied to hardware and need an upgrade to support them.

No; the PS4 is built on OpenGL so any benefits built into DirectX won't be on the PS4. The PS4 libraries may well already have, or can add, their own similar optimisations.

A lot of what's been talked about the consoles are already doing.

I think the ability to scale way better with multi-cores (i.e. not rely on a single main thread doing most the work) will be new on xbox one (or if it's already on xbox one that implies xbox one has a preview version of dx12 in its sdk at present)

Nah, if anything, it means their XBone API wasn't up to snuff to begin with. A console's API should've already been optimized for the set hardware.

Metfanant

Something that I think people forget so easily is that Mantle and DX12 are API's that are attempting to bring CONSOLE LIKE coding to PC's....consoles by nature already do a lot of the things these new API's do...

Chettlar

Banned
Ryan Shrout said:
Talking about porting the game to D3D12

---

4 man-months effort to port core rendering engine.

Hmm, so they are improving it it would appear. Has this ever been done to a console game?

Ploid 3.0

There is literally nothing else to talk about. It's just a more efficient DirectX and the whole deal is whether or not it is dependent on the OS.

Mantle: only ATI
DX12: only Windows 8+

I didn't read outside of the op and a bit of the last page and as far as I know I'm the only one that didn't want to be forced to get W8 to use it because I'd have to buy another OS, when W7 should be more than able to use this (I hope). I didn't mean to steer the conversation, I just made a simple wish. Like not having a AMD GPU for mantle, I would have missed out on D12 because I don't have W8 on my gaming machine.

They did it before with Windows Vista (not comparing the quality of vista with 8). And now we're talking about it more than I expected to. It was a simple wish, I swear.

I think the ability to scale way better with multi-cores (i.e. not rely on a single main thread doing most the work) will be new on xbox one (or if it's already on xbox one that implies xbox one has a preview version of dx12 in its sdk at present)

Well it has been talked about in the past that the XB1 tools are a mess so maybe this will bring it to parity or be better than the PS4 tools, the Naughty Dog presentation and their jobs etc showed that the PS4 was already pretty threaded.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if the cut out cardboard crowds in Forza look better with DX12?

Top Bottom