• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Arcana Heart thread of Loli-fighter goodness

LegatoB

If you buy Arcana Heart, the moeterrorists win. Go buy Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2! It's full of manly men and boobilicious women!

Firefox wants me to correct "boobilicious" as "deliciousness." Even the Internet agrees with me!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
LegatoB said:
If you buy Arcana Heart, the moeterrorists win. Go buy Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2! It's full of manly men and boobilicious women!

Firefox wants me to correct "boobilicious" as "deliciousness." Even the Internet agrees with me!

Posts like this make me want to buy a copy, just to spite you.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
Posts like this make me want to buy a copy, just to spite you.

He's right though, unlike Arcana Heart, Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2 is not censored. The publisher did not remove content from the game knowingly, and ship it without informing fans knowing it would affect some people's decision in purchasing.

I say we support upright and honest publishers, and not those that pretend to be on the side of fans only to pee in their eyes! :D

LegatoB said:

While I understand and respect your anti-moe sentiment; I view my purchases of more of a "MOAR GOD DAMN NEW 2D FIGHTING IP'S PLZ" vote, and less of the Chris Hansen vote.

It's a dead genre and every dollar vote counts.

SNK is just fucking rehashing the same decade old shit. GIVE ME A US RELEASE OF GAROU/MOTW YOU ASSHOLES!

duckroll said:
He's right though, unlike Arcana Heart, Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2 is not censored. The publisher did not remove content from the game knowingly, and ship it without informing fans knowing it would affect some people's decision in purchasing.

I say we support upright and honest publishers, and not those that pretend to be on the side of fans only to pee in their eyes! :D
So... no more games from here on out?

LegatoB

Why buy a new, subpar and moe game which has been hilariously and rather confusingly cut for US release when you could buy arcade-perfect versions of some of the finest fight-man games on a fight-man friendly console? Hell, you could hold your cash and put it toward The King of Fighters '98: ULTIMATE MATCH, the definitive version of the definitive installment of one of the finest 2D fighting game series out there! Fighting games are enjoying a renaissance lately - don't settle for poor quality releases of third-rate games, and fight the moe menace here and now!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LegatoB said:

I bought Fatal Fury BA Vol. 2 as well. What now?

Shame on you Atlus. There's no reason to cut out the voices when you left the opening theme IN JAPANESE. Just a mind boggling decision. I don't give a shit how unimportant it seems to people. There's no reason to do it. Period. It only serves to piss people off.

If I would have known from the start, I wouldn't have bought it this and just imported instead. Just pretty much just soured me on this for the night.

duckroll

Kintaro said:
If I would have known from the start, I wouldn't have bought it this and just imported instead.

And this my friends is EXACTLY what Atlus chose to remain silent on the matter. They might seem like cool folks, but the truth is that when dishonesty will earn them a few extra sales, they'll do it in a heartbeat. Sad but true.

kiryogi

Banned
Kintaro said:
I bought Fatal Fury BA Vol. 2 as well. What now?

Shame on you Atlus. There's no reason to cut out the voices when you left the opening theme IN JAPANESE. Just a mind boggling decision. I don't give a shit how unimportant it seems to people. There's no reason to do it. Period. It only serves to piss people off.

If I would have known from the start, I wouldn't have bought it this and just imported instead. Just pretty much just soured me on this for the night.

Yeah, I'm glaring at my sealed copy right now debating if I just want to return it.. How could have Atlus FORGOT to have mentioned something like this?

LegatoB

Because they're a business like any other. If you want sales, you don't acknowledge that your Niche Audience Only product has problems that will make the Niche Audience not want to purchase it. It makes perfect sense.

Kintaro

duckroll said:
And this my friends is EXACTLY what Atlus chose to remain silent on the matter. They might seem like cool folks, but the truth is that when dishonesty will earn them a few extra sales, they'll do it in a heartbeat. Sad but true.

Well, not like it matters, but fuck em. Cancelling my P3 FES preorder. I already bought P3 and still haven't gotten around to playing it. Not giving them any more money for a long time.

Yeah, whatever. Laugh it up. Nothing gets me more pissed off than stupid shit like this. "It's just a stupid moe fighting game!" Yeah? If it's just a stupid moe fighting game, why cut anything to begin with? Exactly.

kiryogi said:
Yeah, I'm glaring at my sealed copy right now debating if I just want to return it.. How could have Atlus FORGOT to have mentioned something like this?
Do it. Gamers need to show more solidarity about things like this, and there's no better way to do it than by voting with your wallet.

duckroll

Hey guys, look!

http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?t=525&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

Inzaghi
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry we had to keep silent on this until now, but we can finally confirm that there's no censorship in the actual game.

While that's not TECHNICALLY untrue depending on how you define censorship, the fact that on the same thread people were wondering if they would keep the Japanese voices, just smacks me as REALLY dishonest. Thoughts?

kiryogi

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
Do it. Gamers need to show more solidarity about things like this, and there's no better way to do it than by voting with your wallet.

Yeah, I'm starting to pass word to folks I know @ local game stores around about this atrocity.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't really feel as strongly as duckroll on this, but I would like to hear a valid reason from Atlus for cutting the voices even if that reason is just "it was cheaper".

It's still cool they brought it to the US and it's at a discount price, but not mentioning the voice thing does come across as a little messed up since the fanbase they are selling it to are the hardcore fighter & anime crowd.

kiryogi

Banned
Gamefaq-ers also starting to ring in on this:

I picked this game up on my lunch break. Glad I didn't open it. I'll be returning it soon.

The reason I bought it was to support the release in North America of a very "Japanese" game.

The price tag certainly doesn't warrant the removal of any voice acting. I paid the same price for the japanese version which has everything in tact. KoF pretty much leaves everything alone(their last few games at least) and only charges 19.99

Oh, also must note that versus voices were cut too.

Ramune

If we're real vocal about thsi, I'm sure Atlus will throw in thier 2¢. But it does bug me the wrong way when they DID say it would be uncensored. The game is fun and it's got great depth which I love in a 2D fighter. But no voices for story mode? It's not game breaking, but probably wouldn't have brought the game if I knew they lied for no reason.

Guess I played right in their hands....now I feel like returning it, which I rarely do, especially since I research and get opinions before I buy. Figured this would be a no-brainer and have what I've come to expect it to have.

kiryogi

Banned
Himuro said:
I don't see the big deal. The story mode in a FIGHTING GAME doesn't have voices. So what?

Y'know. It 's more about standards and expectations than "Oh it's just a fighting game story". First they cut this, then they'll continue to keep cutting it as the standard is lower, and oh wait what do you know? They'll start to cut something that you'll care about too.

Just think about this whole uninformed issue as well. See how many of us, went from buyers to maybe and not even? This is a big deal. And them not informing the crowd they'd be mainly selling to is an absolute low.

Kintaro

Himuro said:
I don't see the big deal. The story mode in a FIGHTING GAME doesn't have voices. So what?

How about the fact that it's fucking stupid to cut anything voiced out of the game that has Japanese spit out all over the place in the rest of it. It's a pointless cut that only serves to piss off what people will buy this game.

You can't be this dense.

Durante

IMHO, the biggest problem here is not that they removed the voices (though that doesn't make any sense at all), but that they didn't inform their fanbase of it.

duckroll

Durante said:
IMHO, the biggest problem here is not that they removed the voices (though that doesn't make any sense at all), but that they didn't inform their fanbase of it.

Exactly. Informing people clearly and explaining why would go a long way, especially for a company that relies on a niche fanboys for support and sales.

NichM

Banned
Bebpo said:
I don't really feel as strongly as duckroll on this, but I would like to hear a valid reason from Atlus for cutting the voices even if that reason is just "it was cheaper".

It's still cool they brought it to the US and it's at a discount price, but not mentioning the voice thing does come across as a little messed up since the fanbase they are selling it to are the hardcore fighter & anime crowd.

It does kind of suck that people weren't told about this in advance, and I'm sorry to people who are aggrieved on that count. But Atlus never makes cuts like this without a reason, and in this case it was because if you leave cutscene voices or voices deemed important to understanding of a game in a foreign language with no English-language option, you stand a very good chance of having your game rejected. Of course there are one or two exceptions (Yakuza 2 springs to mind... assuming it's even still coming out) but they're very difficult to get. Facing the choice between bringing it with no voices or not bringing it, we made the hard choice. It's not going down well with fans, and I understand why, but there was a reason.

(I'm not even sure I should be posting this, but it's Friday evening and I'd hate to see the hate fester all weekend.)

Kintaro

Durante said:

Or both. I'm so interested to hear what the reason could possibly be. The intro? Japanese. The character voices while fighting? Japanese. Names? Japanese. The whole damned game is Japanese and yet you can't keep in simple voice overs during story mode (and something else now? vs. mode screens and winning quotes)?

It does kind of suck that people weren't told about this in advance, and I'm sorry to people who are aggrieved on that count. But Atlus never makes cuts like this without a reason, and in this case it was because if you leave cutscene voices or voices deemed important to understanding of a game in a foreign language with no English-language option, you stand a very good chance of having your game rejected. Of course there are one or two exceptions (Yakuza 2 springs to mind... assuming it's even still coming out) but they're very difficult to get. Facing the choice between bringing it with no voices or not bringing it, we made the hard choice. It's not going down well with fans, and I understand why, but there was a reason.

Well, there you go. Regardless, it's your company's fault for not relaying this information to it's fans ahead of time. Of course, Atlus probably knew it would mean lost sales. It still makes zero sense to me though. Whatever.

Cancelling my remaining Atlus pre-orders. =/

duckroll

NichM is a real man, and I respect that. I think most people understand that there's a reason, the question is really why it was played as if the game is coming out completely uncut in English. :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kintaro said:
Or both. I'm so interested to hear what the reason could possibly be. The intro? Japanese. The character voices while fighting? Japanese. Names? Japanese. The whole damned game is Japanese and yet you can't keep in simple voice overs during story mode (and something else now? vs. mode screens and winning quotes)?
SCEA can be inconsistent at times with its TRCs regarding non-English languages.

LegatoB

NichM said:

(I'm not even sure I should be posting this, but it's Friday evening and I'd hate to see the hate fester all weekend.)
This doesn't appear to be a problem had by Sammy, who released Guilty Gear XX with the Japanese voiceovers in story mode intact. Why did it affect Atlus?

NichM

Banned
LegatoB said:
This doesn't appear to be a problem had by Sammy, who released Guilty Gear XX with the Japanese voiceovers in story mode intact. Why did it affect Atlus?

No idea. I can't speak to decisions made at other companies about games published by other companies.

kiryogi

Banned
NichM said:

Knew we could count on you to show up. I'm glad to hear a reasoning, though I'm sorry to say myself I don't know how much it really matters to my decision of returning my purchase. Thank you so much Nich.

LegatoB

NichM said:
No idea. I can't speak to decisions made at other companies about games published by other companies.
I'm just curious. The wonders and ways of SCEA's approval system have always fascinated us consumers, who get only a third-hand look at best.

XiaNaphryz

LegatoB said:
I'm just curious. The wonders and ways of SCEA's approval system have always fascinated us consumers, who get only a third-hand look at best.
It's not consistent across the board. It might be consistent within a company's personal submission history, but not across different companies. There are external factors that are sometimes considered as well, including intended release window and other titles being released in the same window.

Ramune

So in the end, this is all a SCEA issue. That I can understand. The game came over anyway and I'm sure Atlus did what it could and if it meant axing voices in some parts to not get it rejected, make sense. Besides, ironically while following this thread, I was trying to kick Mildred's arse this whole time. Still, I'd appreciate it if something like this was mentioned ahead of time. This is the age of blogs and what not. It shouldn't take until the release date to finally touch on details like this.

Kintaro

Was there no way to include the voices in as an easter egg or something? Default them to off, enter a code and they're on? Did Atlus even ask for an exemption? "Hey, we would like to release this game on your aging old system. Can we just release it as is this once?"

Exactly why wasn't this exclusion told to the fans beforehand anyways? I mean, only a core group of fans were going to buy this game in the first place. You have to have known that keeping quiet on this and making the cut would only serve to piss people off. If it was "out of your hands" then come clean and say so. Get fans on your side before putting out the game. This way only serves to get a rapid set of fans fired up. Instead, you're got a bunch of people pissed, returning their games or worse.

For a small company that lives and dies on it's tight knit loyal group of fans, this was a definite fuck up.

XiaNaphryz

Kintaro said:
Was there no way to include the voices in as an easter egg or something? Default them to off, enter a code and they're on? Did Atlus even ask for an exemption? "Hey, we would like to release this game on your aging old system. Can we just release it as is this once?"

Exactly why wasn't this exclusion told to the fans beforehand anyways? I mean, only a core group of fans were going to buy this game in the first place. You have to have known that keeping quiet on this and making the cut would only serve to piss people off. If it was "out of your hands" then come clean and say so. Get fans on your side before putting out the game. This way only serves to get a rapid set of fans fired up. Instead, you're got a bunch of people pissed, returning their games or worse.

For a small company that lives and dies on it's tight knit loyal group of fans, this was a definite fuck up.
This approach may not get a good reaction from SCEA either though, and could affect future submissions for approval. It shouldn't, but politics are politics.

It's a lose-lose situation really.

Kipe

I ordered my copy through Amazon (Hubbagames?) so it's in the mail system now.

Voices getting the axe is disappointing, but I'm going to hold on to my copy. Atlus hasn't fucked up enough in my eyes to turn down a potentially good game.

Odin Sphere had a japanese language option and Atlus rarely tamper with games unless they're fixing bugs. Overall they've done a lot more good with very few blemishes on their record (some that are very old).

duckroll

XiaNaphryz said:
This approach may not get a good reaction from SCEA either though, and could affect future submissions for approval. It shouldn't, but politics are politics.

It's a lose-lose situation really.

The real lose-lose situation here is that Atlus has just pissed off their fanbase by removing voices from one of the few (if not the only) fighting games where the only people that are buying it will actually give a shit that voices in the story mode are gone.

kiryogi

Banned
[11:20] <anon> if Atlus announces Battle Fantasia 360
[11:20] <anon> who can trust them now
[11:20] <anon2> fuck them.

kiryogi

Banned
Kipe said:
Battle Fantasia is Arc System. They're not going to touch that.

You're missing the point here. IF they did, who really would trust them on the release? Atlus in general just lost some credit to their name.

Bebpo

Banned
kiryogi said:
You're missing the point here. IF they did, who really would trust them on the release? Atlus in general just lost some credit to their name.

Well, for a big release they'd probably just dub it and go dual-language if it fits. I think AH was just way too small of release to spend money on a dub (should've done an Atlus Employees Only dub!).

Volcynika

NichM said:
No one in their right mind would want to hear this, trust me.
:lol

Anyways.....anyone have any specific tips on good ways to train with this game (lol training), I'm just finding it a bit difficult to figure out exactly what to do, since going from Guilty Gear, this is a bit off.

Kintaro

Bebpo said:
Well, for a big release they'd probably just dub it and go dual-language if it fits. I think AH was just way too small of release to spend money on a dub (should've done an Atlus Employees Only dub!).

This was going to be something to mention in my previous post, but I cut it out. Get some female employees, a mic, and record it in the shower or something. Bammo. You have a cheesy dub to match the cheesy lines in the story mode and you can include the Japanese.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:

How many females are there @ Atlus actually. Is this why Nich is against it? Would it be males trying to be female? XD

Top Bottom