• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most overrated 'cult' film? Big Lebowski, Raid, or Cabin in the Woods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not like The Big Lebowski. It isn't a bad movie but I went into it thinking it was going to be the greatest movie ever greatest based on internet and friends buzzing about it.

I was mostly bored by it. It had it's moments but It just didn't do it for me.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I did not like The Big Lebowski. It isn't a bad movie but I went into it thinking it was going to be the greatest movie ever greatest based on internet and friends buzzing about it.

I was mostly bored by it. It had it's moments but It just didn't do it for me.

A lot of people who love the movie didn't care for it the first time. Myself included.

A lot of people who love the movie didn't care for it the first time. Myself included.

I've watched a total of maybe 6-8 times now. I've watched it sober and with varying levels of drunkenness, with friends who love it. By myself, etc.

Just doesn't do it for me.

FairyD

Definitely the Big Lebowski. It was an okay film, but some people view it as one of the greatest comedies ever.

Fight Club
Inglorious Basterds
Las Vegas Parano
Shutter Island
Inception
Trainspotting

These are all good movies, some of them are really great, but when people are talking about them, it's like they've seen God, like it's best thing they've laid eyes on. I'm sick of it.

And Princess Bride. I just don't understand. Ok, there's a lot of people that love this movie and for which it's cult. But I found it bad, I don't understand its following.

megamerican

I think the actors really make people love that movie. It's pretty stacked with good performances trapped in a bad script. Makes me wonder how they got such good actors to work on it.

Yeah I will grant you that the performances were pretty good across the board, especially considering the lines they were given.

P9agk.gif

I have no opinion about the movies in the OP, but Neti Pots are definitely not overrated. The only thing that gives me relief when I have a bad sinus infection.

And Princess Bride. I just don't understand. Ok, there's a lot of people that love this movie and for which it's cult. But I found it bad, I don't understand its following.

Princess Bride is good in a 80s-90s way. I happen to love that slower style of movie with only a few short explosion-less action sequences, but I can see how it wouldn't hold up to modern spectacle. I think the reason it has the following is because it's a classic fantasy-type story, has some great lines, and doesn't treat the anything seriously.

But, going back to the thread question, I'm going to have to agree with everyone who said Napoleon Dynamite. I don't think I understood why that movie was supposed to be funny, and I didn't even get some good internet quotes out of it like Big Lebowski (I didn't even find this one particularly funny, there's just a few amazing moments that were worth sitting through the rest).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Cabin in the woods was aight but ...i have to question its placement on this list , is it a cult hit? I though it did well and was well accepted. Seemed like a hit movie to movie, whats so cult classic about it?

Good fucking god people! Some terrible taste on display here.

What's next, Taxi Driver, Dazed and Confused, The Hitcher, motherfucking Raising Arizona!?

jett

D-Member
Don't fuck with the Jesus.

Between those three, it's easily Cabin in The Woods, but more due to the fact that "horror" movies do absolutely nothing for me, whether they take themselves seriously, are tongue in cheek, or are straight up parodies.

Raxus

Movies become cult classics for a reason. If you don't like it than chances are the movie simply didn't resonate with you. So by definition no cult classic is overrated in my book because there are so niche they can never be anything but, well, 'rated'.

kick51

Banned
Gone With The Wind

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

people who like these are just trying to circle jerk and are all "ooh look at me, i like lesser known old movies that only old people like and were made before there was colors"

Gone With The Wind

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

people who like these are just trying to circle jerk and are all "ooh look at me, i like lesser known old movies that only old people like and were made before there was colors"
None of those films are lesser known.

Can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
None of those films are lesser known.

Can't tell if this is a joke post or not.
I'm 96% sure he's joking, but I'll give him Gone With The Wind. Citizen Kane is badass though.

MYE

Going to have to go with Big Lebowski. The amount it gets quoted is ridiculous and I can't see how anyone could relate to such a horrible main character.

You can't see how people in this stressful, money-driven and constant moving world of ours relate to a hippy/stoner laid back life were no fucks are given?
Really?

And why the hell is TBL being mentioned in the same sentence as those other two?

Gone With The Wind

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

1)These movies are pretty well known
2) Casablanca alone has better pacing, acting, and dialog than most modern movies

If it's a joke.... yougotmeheinsenber.gif

The Big Lebowski is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Cabin in the Woods is one of the shittiest movies I've ever seen. So Cabin in the Woods.

Also, that's like, your opinion, man.

Big Lebowski isn't under rated. How much do people love Cabin In The Woods? I liked it, but people usually really over hype things Whedon is attached to.

inm8num2

Cabin in the Woods

Even with the "twists", just an average horror movie that wasn't nearly as smart as people made it out to be.

kswiston

Since movies that made nearly $800M are now apparently cult classics, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Avatar.

A cult film is something like They Live or Dead Alive. Not blockbusters or major award nominated films that everyone has seen in theatres, on dvd, or on TV.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Since movies that made nearly $800M are now apparently cult classics, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Avatar.

A cult film is something like They Live or Dead Alive. Not blockbusters or major award nominated films that everyone has seen in theatres, on dvd, or on TV.

BAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom