• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Saints Row 2 screens ( pre-alpha build )

MMaRsu

Banned
saints-row-2-pic-43.jpg

saints-row-2-pic-42.jpg

saints-row-2-pic-41.jpg

saints-row-2-pic-39.jpg

saints-row-2-pic-38.jpg

And this beautifull picture :

sr2_wp01_800x600.jpg

Meh..that's all I can say. It looks like the same Saints Row I've been playing tonight. And while I'm sure I'll have some fun with it, after GTAIV I don't think this game will matter that much to me.

Alex

They really go out of their way to make these as trashy as possible. I think I'd actually be embarrased to have someone see me play this shit.

raYne

The last set of pics weren't pre-alpha, right?

Where are these from? Nevermind, saw the pic url. Why even release these? :lol

madmook said:
WTF I remember Saint's Row 1 looking better...
It is.

MMaRsu

Banned
madmook said:
WTF I remember Saint's Row 1 looking better...

It does, but this is pre alpha

raYne said:
The last set of pics weren't pre-alpha, right?

Where are these from?

It is.

Got em linked from another forum, check the source of the images :).

Eteric Rice said:
Pre-Alpha.
It does sort of explain why the urban environments look significantly better than the trailer park. Re-used assets. So is there some sort of trade off? GTA IV looks to have better draw distances, lighting, animation. Will this trade those off for better physics and textures?

raYne

painey said:
I dont know about pre-alpha.. these screenshots look pre-sequel
The character models are about the same, but all the areas shown are new places that weren't in the first.

Hence, "pre-alpha" versions of those places.

Throwing cinder blocks in a trailer park wearing jean shorts. Gaming at a high point.

"Pre-alpha" or not the art style isn't going to fly this late into the generation.

newsguy

I enjoy me some SR. The problem is, the GTA hype meter is on overload right now so I can't bring myself to care. Once I've finished GTA and it's time for something new, that's when I'll start looking into this. Also, SR comes out really close to Mercs 2 right? That's going to be crazy.

I like :D

Its pre-Alpha and I still have serious doubts it'll be this year even though they've set a date already but I don't care after how long I played Saints Row for I will be there day one with this.

Although I hope the tearing and frame rate issues are fixed, im not too fussed but i'd rather they got sorted than trying to make it look hugely better.

Online co-op should be awesome though!:D

dork

Banned
Do want. Hurry up volition, even though im still mad you wouldn't give me a job, because you are to dumb to read.

The minimap looks more detailed this time around, neato

GQman2121

Banned
This shit is just plain corny. It's what I picture a room full of young white devs in a meeting room thinking would be appealing to young America. It's their understanding of what NWA or other hip-hop groups represents.

Where the story and characters of San Andreas had portions of them that were based on, and felt like they existed in this fictional, yet real world. This series just feels borderline offensive.

N'gai should maybe take a look at this rubbish and then think about how the minorities are being portrayed in RE4.

raYne

KTallguy said:
What does this game have that GTA4 doesn't?
-Full story co-op: Drop in or out seemlessly. Like Crackdown, you go into a friend's "world" and if he's farther ahead than you are, you can do the missions while it keeps track of what you did solo. Then gives you the choice to skip it when you encounter it in your own game world.
-The ability to pick up and use parts of the environment as melee weapons or throw them.
-You can grab people and use them has human shields.
-Useable planes and other vehicles not in GTA4. (You can crash planes through buildings etc to make your own entrances/escapes.)
-Character creation and customization (including clothing, taunts, custom walking style, voice)
-Vehicle customization (colors, paint styles, bodykits, wheels, interior etc).
-You can take health (food) with you instead of always going to find some.
-The great side missions from the first, plus new ones.

Uhh.. whatever isn't revealed yet or I can't remember.

nib95

Banned
After seeing more of GTA IV, I almost cringe when I look at Saints Row 1/2.

Not necessarily because of the visuals, but because it's so damn stereo typically "gangsta" it just bugs the hell out of me. Developers trying to cash in on the cool new rap gansta trend. At least GTA IV has some style, charisma and finesse to it.

Saints Row is just cheap in comparison. Even when compared to San Andreas. I mean seriously....WTF is this shit?

sr2_wp01_800x600.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
GQman2121 said:
This shit is just plain corny. It's what I picture a room full of young white devs in a meeting room thinking would be appealing to young America. It's their understanding of what NWA or other hip-hop groups represents.

Where the story and characters of San Andreas had portions of them that were based on, and felt like they existed in this fictional, yet real world. This series just feels borderline offensive.

N'gai should maybe take a look at this rubbish and then think about how the minorities are being portrayed in RE4.

Actually that's not what they think at all, they are parodying it more than actually trying to be serious.

MMaRsu

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Saints Row is permanently in that limp bizkit era when people said things like "Don't Hate the Player. Hate the Game!"

Oh really? Just so happens I was checking GTAIV's site and on the page for the mobile phone/email device it somewhere says " don't hate the player, hate the game"

so um yea

MMaRsu said:
Oh really? Just so happens I was checking GTAIV's site and on the page for the mobile phone/email device it somewhere says " don't hate the player, hate the game"

so um yea

They also might have a limp bizkit track on there for all know too. The difference being one is more accurately satirizing and dramatizing the sub-culture and movie culture.

GQman2121

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Actually that's not what they think at all, they are parodying it more than actually trying to be serious.

You could say parody sure. But I think haha or lol when I think parody. I'll stick with the fact that they just seem out of touch with what they to want to emulate.

I don't really want to bring up SA again, but honestly, that game did both effortlessly while still maintaining it's personality. I guess that's what separates R* from everyone else out there.........

the GTA games are made by people who understand the themes and cultures and how to parody them, the Saints Row games look like they were created by old white dudes in suits in a corporate office some where who still say stuff like "Bling Bling".

I remember some guy on GAF telling people explicitly back when Saints Row came out that when GTA 4 came out there was no technical way possible for them to have helicopters in the game. Oh GAF.

Doc Evils

nib95 said:
After seeing more of GTA IV, I almost cringe when I look at Saints Row 1/2.

Not necessarily because of the visuals, but because it's so damn stereo typically "gangsta" it just bugs the hell out of me. Developers trying to cash in on the cool new rap gansta trend. At least GTA IV has some style, charisma and finesse to it.

Saints Row is just cheap in comparison. Even when compared to San Andreas. I mean seriously....WTF is this shit?

It's the difference between rockstar north and violation.

Top Bottom