• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade dev calls Wii U a Wii 1.5, says it's "nowhere near" PS3 power wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.facebook.com/pinballarcade

2IMG0ky.png

StuBurns

Banned
I was going to suggest maybe there's something CPU heavy about those games, but he specifically cites the graphics performance. Strange. I think he's mistaken.

Ein Bear

Eh, the proof is in the pudding. Mario Kart 8, and the other 'big' Wii U titles are definitely, at the absolute minimum, comparable to the best PS3 stuff.

Hanzou

This developer is so incompetent and can not even figure out how to patch ps4 games. Trust nothing they say.

Lol? I'm sure we've pretty much flattened the idea that it isn't as powerful as a PS3, especially given one of these systems actually has a few games in 1080p.

How is this news? Edit: I misread. Thought it said PS4. Wii U not being as powerful as PS3 is surprising (if true).

I love The Pinball Arcade, but man are they one of the most disorganized, nickel and diming devs out there. The PS4 launch of Pinball Arcade was a disaster, there is (or was) a PS4 disc version that's way behind the digital version, and - unlike Zen - they didn't even offer previous owners a free upgrade.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Strange timing with that statement considering what Nintendo's been showing over the past few days.

Pinball Arcade dev hates the CPU (is the only way I could gather the Wii 1.5 comment)

Lol? I'm sure we've pretty much flattened the idea that it isn't as powerful as a PS3, especially given one of these systems actually has a few games in 1080p.

PS3 had 1080p 60fps games at launch

GetemMa

Games still look great on it so who gives a shit.

Bring on Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and X.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh boy. Here we go.

Hmmm...who to believe. While Mario Kart 8 and Smash look pretty incredible, it is true that I don't think any Wii U game has come close to the graphical fidelity of a game like God of War Ascension or The Last of Us. Then again, there aren't many "gritty, realistic action games" on Wii U to compare with. Bottom line: Wii U games look great, when effort is put into it, as plenty of first party titles have shown.

Jamix012

Bizarre considering this has been debunked by other, more reputable, devs. But I guess there's more to it than that. Also the fact that he calls the Wii U, the Wii-U suggests to me that maybe he doesn't really know much, but again I could just be wrong and it could be a stupid mistake.

If this is true, how does X look the way it does?

Eh, the proof is in the pudding. Mario Kart 8, and the other 'big' Wii U titles are definitely, at the absolute minimum, comparable to the best PS3 stuff.

I think that's because of art style. Developers didn't really try to do good looking cartoony games on PS3 that much(sadly). I think Ni No Kuni and Naruto are the best ones on PS3, not sure how those two stack to WiiU's stuff.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
If The Pinball Arcade dev said it, it must be true.

Doomed

If you were a dev/studio, why would you use your official Facebook account to do this? In addition to sounding inaccurate, it's also pretty dickish.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wouldn't insult Farsight because they develop pinball games. Rather I'd question their technical competency due to how buggy their releases are, and how difficult it is for them to fix anything.

They released the PS4 version of Pinball Arcade and "accidentally" included the low quality sound files from the iPad version instead of the PS4 files. And still haven't patched it after months.

i-Lo

C'mon that Zelda tech demo is head and shoulders above anything last gen consoles could do. Perhaps nearly on par with what PS4/XB1 can put out.

VanWinkle

Hmmm...who to believe. While Mario Kart 8 and Smash look pretty incredible, it is true that I don't think any Wii U game has come close to the graphical fidelity of a game like God of War Ascension or The Last of Us. Then again, there aren't many "gritty, realistic action games" on Wii U to compare with. Bottom line: Wii U games look great, when effort is put into it, as plenty of first party titles have shown.

Smash looks terrible on a technical level. I'm sure PS3 could get that 1080p 60fps, too, but hardly any devs go with graphics that have the level of shader, texture, lighting, and geometry simplicity.

MK8, though, yeah, it looks great. EAD are beasts.

The Boat

If this is true, how does X look the way it does?

I think that's because of art style. Developers didn't really try to do good looking cartoony games on PS3 that much(sadly). I think Ni No Kuni and Naruto are the best ones on PS3, not sure how those two stack to WiiU's stuff.
Regardless of style you can see effects and image quality that are ahead of ps360 on Mario kart and other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom