• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT on Wii Software Sales According to (banned site) and Pacter. guess which first?

Xisiqomelir said:
00001-4.jpg

People buy different stuff.

Excellent selection for both consoles IMO

Innotech said:
so because Neogaf doesnt buy into ioi's shit this makes the forum jealous? Of what? that we dont count numbers for a living?

Based on my observations you're giving him too much credit...

Dot50Cal

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Well, I used to be a fairly regular poster over there and most of their "analysts" are college kids who can intelligently discuss video games, trends, and to a lesser extent business. If that's a team of video game analysts then every bar in this country isn't full of drunk middle aged guys but is in fact a team of sports analysts.

As for the site's credibility, which I know most consider to be somewhere around zero around here, I can just add that I bailed on it due to ioi insisting on padding the 360's numbers since someone at MS told him NPD undercounts the 360 by a decent amount (oh and also my NeoGAF account was finally activated). My recommendation to him that he find someone at Sony and Nintendo and just get his numbers that way wasn't well met.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Avrum

CrapSandwich said:
Wii isn't failing, but Nintendo is doing as shitty a job as they ever have with providing software to their hardware owners. Whether you're a devotee or someone who just bought the system with Wii Sports, there isn't enough follow-up with software.

Well, hell they can't do it all...

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
ExciteTruck
Warioware Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Big Brain Academy
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Battalion Wars II
Super Mario Galaxy
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii

That's quite a catalog of games first party wise within just a year and a half or so of the system being on the market. (and I'm sure I forgot some games up there)

Gaborn

Avrum said:

ExciteTruck
Warioware Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Big Brain Academy
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Battalion Wars II
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii

That's quite a catalog of games first party wise within just a year and a half or so of the system being on the market. (and I'm sure I forgot some games up there)

The most glaring omission is Wii Sports, which in this case is something they had to develop, even if you live outside Japan and so it was packed in. Pretty sure that counts for it ;)

Innotech

Banned
Avrum said:

ExciteTruck
Warioware Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Big Brain Academy
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Battalion Wars II
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii

ENDLESS OCEAN OF AWESOME

F#A#Oo

Banned
Well I think the way Nintendo are looking at it...they are giving developers and publishers support throughout on many levels technical and financial. Plus Wii as a platform has a massive base for them to make games for and growing. What more can they offer? Fund an entire development of a game?:lol

Nintendo doesn't need to be reaching out for support...their hands have been reaching out for developers from day 1...but they are being left hanging whilst third-parties supposedly wait for the bottom to fall out in Wii sales and market...

Nintendo's E3 conference will be very interesting...maybe there will be some announcements that go against the current stance that is being held? I atleast hope so as a Wii owner...but I very much doubt it.

Gaborn

F#A#Oo said:
Well I think the way Nintendo are looking at it...they are giving developers and publishers support throughout on many levels technical and financial. Plus Wii as a platform has a massive base for them to make games for and growing. What more can they offer? Fund an entire development of a game?:lol

Nintendo doesn't need to be reaching out for support...their hands have been reaching out for developers from day 1...but they are being left hanging whilst third-parties supposedly wait for the bottom to fall out in Wii sales and market...

Nintendo's E3 conference will be very interesting...maybe there will be some announcements that go against the current stance that is being held? I atleast hope so as a Wii owner...but I very much doubt it.

I agree, but I'd also add that I think Sony's press conference now that they're definitely, positively behind and not recovering anytime in the near (or probably long term ) future will be interesting, I wonder which company will announce more 3rd party games.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Gaborn said:
I agree, but I'd also add that I think Sony's press conference now that they're definitely, positively behind and not recovering anytime in the near (or probably long term ) future will be interesting, I wonder which company will announce more 3rd party games.

Hmm...Nintendo has quantity on their side and has never been an issue. I think the issue and concerns people bring up is the quality aspect. I mean look at how many small developer games are on the Wii. There are tons of games on it by big and small developers and publishers. But very few are worth putting money down for...

someone at MS told him NPD undercounts the 360

Dot50Cal said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Like I said in my post a couple pages back, he adjusts the numbers as he sees fit. Hell, it's only the first rule of independent tracking. But who cares? Throw it out the window!

Gaborn

F#A#Oo said:
Hmm...Nintendo has quantity on their side and has never been an issue. I think the issue and concerns people bring up is the quality aspect. I mean look at how many small developer games are on the Wii. There are tons of games on it by big and small developers and publishers. But very few are worth putting money down for...

True enough. It may be harder to measure in some ways, but to clarify, I wonder which system will see the best newly announced third party games. And by "best" I'm talking more about major franchises and such. For example, during the N64 days we saw Final Fantasy and a host of other big series jump consoles. This generation we've already seen MH3 jump. Will Sony see more franchises jump consoles than are announced to be returning to the PS3? To me, if and when that happens that will be when it well and truly is "Game Over" for the PS3 this generation.

Gaborn said:
True enough. It may be harder to measure in some ways, but to clarify, I wonder which system will see the best newly announced third party games. And by "best" I'm talking more about major franchises and such. For example, during the N64 days we saw Final Fantasy and a host of other big series jump consoles. This generation we've already seen MH3 jump. Will Sony see more franchises jump consoles than are announced to be returning to the PS3? To me, if and when that happens that will be when it well and truly is "Game Over" for the PS3 this generation.

Well before that you have the mainline Dragon Quest jumping to the DS. But then Dragon Quest didn't have many high profile releases on Playstation platforms compared to Final Fantasy.

I don't think we'll see another big franchise shift to Nintendo platforms in a while, manly because the people behind them want the hardware power to make their games look as "realistic" as possible...

tabsina

wow.. people really seem shaken up about this.. more surprising still since the article itself actually says "estimates" not "hardcore facts"

beef3483

Xisiqomelir said:
00001-4.jpg

People buy different stuff.

Exactly.

I can say that there is absolutely more games I own for Wii than I want for PS3. The "wii has no games" excuse is entirely false.

Edit: But you don't have Prime 3. Tisk, tisk.

tabsina said:
wow.. people really seem shaken up about this.. more surprising still since the article itself actually says "estimates" not "hardcore facts"

For some reason, whenever somebody bashes Nintendo, it is automatically guaranteed a 20-page thread. There is no doubt that the company brings about the most polarization in not just the gaming industry, but the tech industry altogether - there is no fucking doubt.

Oh, and Xisiqomelir, where is Brawl? o_O

One more thing, John Dvorak gave his thoughts on this in his podcast, and he makes a good point. It's right here: http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=17372

d+pad

somewhat random aside, but I'm soooooo sick of people passing along that tired 'fact' the Wii buyers only bought the Wii for Wii Sports, have never bought a game since and their Wiis are now sitting, covered in dust, in their closets. Oh, and that the reason for that neglect is that Nintendo hasn't put out enough appealing software to appease the masses.

it isn't a fact - it's just something MS, Sony and their fanboys and girls say over and over and over again in the hopes that the masses will believe it and will ditch the Wii. thankfully, I don't think too many people are paying attention.

personal experience: I've bought more software this generation (for the Wii and other consoles) than I ever bought last generation. I've already bought 11 games (MK will make it 12) for the Wii this generation, compared to the 5 I bought for the GC (I have a woeful 7 for the PS2 right now, though I used to have more...).

Ventrue

QuickKick89 said:
There is no doubt that the company brings about the most polarization in not just the gaming industry, but the tech industry altogether - there is no fucking doubt.

Apple.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
QuickKick89 said:
I don't see people trolling Apple on message boards, do you?

You arent on the right forums...Appple fans are scarier than all the console fanboys put together

Salazar

d+pad said:
it isn't a fact - it's just something MS, Sony and their fanboys and girls say over and over and over again in the hopes that the masses will believe it and will ditch the Wii. thankfully, I don't think too many people are paying attention.

Even in very dark fanboy moments, I don't think too many can muster the energy to care with that much specificity, sincerity and malice what the masses do with their Wiis.

Gaborn

Golden Darkness said:
I don't think we'll see another big franchise shift to Nintendo platforms in a while, manly because the people behind them want the hardware power to make their games look as "realistic" as possible...

You know, I've been thinking about that, and it's all well and good that you want your game to look good, that that's a big selling point. But if there aren't enough people buying the console in the first place what does it matter if a game looks good? Some developers seem to want it both ways, they want their games to "look good" but they want to have an established user base that justifies their support of the console. *eyes Square-Enix*

At some point I wonder how much economics is going to come into play. I don't get the sense developers are very willing to take risks, so in one sense I suspect they'll devote more attention to the 360 (since the PS3 is floundering and the Wii is "different" but at the same time, they simply can't ignore the Wii's user base. Perhaps games like Monster Hunter will pave the way for other games?

QuickKick89 said:
For some reason, whenever somebody bashes Nintendo, it is automatically guaranteed a 20-page thread.
Most of the reaction here seems to be due to the chartzzz citing, not the Nintendo bashing (and the article itself isn't even "bashing" the Wii, really... it's just poorly written and sourced).

Gaborn said:
You know, I've been thinking about that, and it's all well and good that you want your game to look good, that that's a big selling point. But if there aren't enough people buying the console in the first place what does it matter if a game looks good?
That's a valid point, but games like CoD4 are showing that you don't have to target the largest userbase to be wildly successful. We'll see how Final Fantasy fares, but I think this generation is going to be more about third parties targeting the correct market, rather than simply looking at userbase.

Innotech

Banned
Golden Darkness said:
No. But you do have high profile critics.

And incidently John C. Dvorak, who has infamous criticisms on Apple, stated today that the stories out there are being twisted to hurt the Wii. http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=17372
I do think that some of the bigp layers in the industry might have bet on the HD consoles to win and are probably pulling a few media strings. thats a very viable belief and it makes sense. HoweveR I dont think it will hurt this system very much.

beef3483

Salazar said:
Even in very dark fanboy moments, I don't think too many can muster the energy to care with that much specificity, sincerity and malice what the masses do with their Wiis.

How often do you read Neogaf? There are many of those types here that you described, who drohne on and on, bemoaning everything the Wii stands for. And many of them are not so subtle about it.

QuickKick89 said:
For some reason, whenever somebody bashes Nintendo, it is automatically guaranteed a 20-page thread. There is no doubt that the company brings about the most polarization in not just the gaming industry, but the tech industry altogether - there is no fucking doubt.

Nintendo makes it easy to argue--although that's not what this thread is about.

Nintendo makes excellent games, have contributed as much or more to this industry as any other company has (and they obviously know how to make money at it), but they also are very obtuse and make illogical and frustrating decisions. The latest in-your-face example would be the lack of (usable) storage on the Wii, but also things like bashing online play last gen, or smaller, odd things like not allowing character selection in Mario Kart Double Dash LAN games, or forcing players to watch Link get the same item dozens or hundreds of times over the course of the last decade of Zelda games.

In any case, they're a very 2-sided coin, but you have people on both sides who will swear they can do no wrong, or do no right. So yeah, you nailed it: polarization.

CrapSandwich said:
Wii isn't failing, but Nintendo is doing as shitty a job as they ever have with providing software to their hardware owners. Whether you're a devotee or someone who just bought the system with Wii Sports, there isn't enough follow-up with software.

Oh come on, in 1 and a half years, Nintendo have given you a new Zelda, a new Mario, a new Metroid, a new Mario Kart, a new Paper Mario, a new Fire Emblem, a new Smash Bros, a new WarioWare, a new Battalion Wars, and more, plus new stuff like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc.

Nintendo is giving you more than enough software.

beef3483

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh come on, in 1 and a half years, Nintendo have given you a new Zelda, a new Mario, a new Metroid, a new Mario Kart, a new Paper Mario, a new Fire Emblem, a new Smash Bros, a new WarioWare, a new Battalion Wars, and more, plus new stuff like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc.

Nintendo is giving you more than enough software.

A-fucking-men.

Gaborn

rohlfinator said:
That's a valid point, but games like CoD4 are showing that you don't have to target the largest userbase to be wildly successful. We'll see how Final Fantasy fares, but I think this generation is going to be more about third parties targeting the correct market, rather than simply looking at userbase.

Well sure, I agree a game can be successful (both as multi platform and just flat out on a less popular console) in differing situations that weren't as common in previous years, but the thing is AAA titles aren't really the best measure of a system's success in my opinion, at least to a point. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think that AAA titles, like any other title will tend to do best with the system with the largest number of people in the demographic they're targeting, but at the same time those games CREATE their own userbases, that's why they're system sellers.

I'd be shocked if FF13 fails, even if, say, it was the Godfather 3 of the series. At the same time there are a lot of quality, lets say AA titles (Uncharted for example, or HSG mainly in Japan) that AREN'T living up to expectations even though they're in the same vein of titles that would traditionally appeal to the Play Station user base.

Leondexter said:
Nintendo makes it easy to argue--although that's not what this thread is about.

Nintendo makes excellent games, have contributed as much or more to this industry as any other company has (and they obviously know how to make money at it), but they also are very obtuse and make illogical and frustrating decisions. The latest in-your-face example would be the lack of (usable) storage on the Wii, but also things like bashing online play last gen, or smaller, odd things like not allowing character selection in Mario Kart Double Dash LAN games, or forcing players to watch Link get the same item dozens or hundreds of times over the course of the last decade of Zelda games.

In any case, they're a very 2-sided coin, but you have people on both sides who will swear they can do no wrong, or do no right. So yeah, you nailed it: polarization.
It's essentially because for the most part, they march to the beat of their own drummer, external trends or criticism be damned. The gamer*, a creature that has grown accustomed over the years to having its opinions listened to, might find this frustrating and if its needs are not being served by Nintendo, perhaps even offputting. Even Nintendo fans find Nintendo's decisions frustrating at times.

* When I say "the gamer", I refer to the gesaltic aggregate of every avid gamer in existence.

Avrum

Innotech said:
ENDLESS OCEAN OF AWESOME

Bah, see? I knew it. I also forgot, Pokemon Battle Revolution and Link's Crossbow Training... well, that last one is a bit sketchy I suppose. :p

Innotech

Banned
Avrum said:
Bah, see? I knew it. I also forgot, Pokemon Battle Revolution and Link's Crossbow Training... well, that last one is a bit sketchy I suppose. :p
the Pokemon battle game is the sketchy one. for what it is, Links Crossbow Training is a phenomenal little game. So fun. and it presents a unique solution to FPS style movement.

Jiggy

Pokemon Battle Revolution transcends sketchy to stand in the realm of kindergarten scribbles.
And I happily own four freaking copies of Diamond/Pearl that I've put over 750 hours into combined.

Leonsito

Woah @ the thread in the other forum :lol :lol :lol

So we are a badly made website, bad-organizated, without rules and we are jealous for their appearance on the NYT :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm dying here at the office :lol

Hey, and the mods are Modern day internet Nazis :D

xbhaskarx

theguy said:
I only care about protecting the proprietary data of market research firms that is allegedly being used by the zite. But even this is rumor and, I hope, speculation. I do know that anyone found supplying any 'organization' such as this one with unapproved, proprietary data (aka. trademarked and copyright protected product) from third-party sources such as gfk, NPD, Chart-Track, Media Create, Famitsu/Enterbrain, will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

So is the problem with the site that the numbers are inaccurate, or that they base their numbers on proprietary data from market research firms?
I don't really see how it can be both, wouldn't that mean the problem is that the proprietary data itself is inaccurate?

Squeak

“It reflects the broadening of the demographic,” he said. “Nintendo’s market doesn’t feel the same sense of urgency to buy every game that’s coming out.”
But the userbase is larger (and potentially MUCH larger). AND the games are easier to develop.

andthebeatgoeson

xbhaskarx said:
So is the problem with the site that the numbers are inaccurate, or that they base their numbers on proprietary data from market research firms?
I don't really see how it can be both, wouldn't that mean the problem is that the proprietary data itself is inaccurate?
There is the possibility that ioi gets data from NPD and selectively changes his forcast. He makes his predictions based on whatever but routinely changes it when it doesn't vibe with what people think is the most sound data (NPD, media create, etc). Since he SELECTIVELY makes his guesses on weird rules, he probably selectively changes the data based on limited NPD data. No, that doesn't mean NPDs data is false. NPD's data is what it is: estimates based on statistical sampling. Companies feel comfortable with NPD's data sampling and estimates. But they are transparent. ioi wouldn't stand up to scrutiny from any company.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Since they are reading this thread, I'd like to reply.

I personally see this as extreme jealously. NeoGAF hasnt been quoted in the NYT have they?

You're right. We're so jealous that the New York Times quoted you.

So hey VG Chartz, how many game developers, industry insiders, and game journalists post on your forums?

Huh?

What's that? I can't quite hear you. You'll have to speak up.

pulga

Banned
Oh so this is where my friend got the news Brawl sales had fallen out.

Be right back, I need to go find a crowbar and a shovel.

xbhaskarx said:
what happened was he pooled the data from the marketing research firms, then put his own spin on the formula to get his "real" numbers, then maybe a year or more later, months after being after being banned from gaf, he started predicting sales, so it actually is both, just not at the same time.

rohlfinator said:
That's a valid point, but games like CoD4 are showing that you don't have to target the largest userbase to be wildly successful.

but a pleased as acti-blizz probably are with with COD4's sales they're probably kicking themselves for not having a wii version as i may be wrong but i believe the wii version of 3 outsold the ps3 version (despite being crap)

Leonsito

Yeah I remember the ioigate here, the discussions in the M-Create threads and his definitive banning, then the start of his website ... good times.

xbhaskarx

The Faceless Master said:
what happened was he pooled the data from the marketing research firms, then put his own spin on the formula to get his "real" numbers, then maybe a year or more later, months after being banned from gaf, he started predicting sales, so it actually is both, just not at the same time.

I see, different time frames.
So is the site banned because he used marketing research data a few years ago, or because his current data is inaccurate?
Also, is there evidence/proof that he used proprietary data? Did he admit it? Is that why he got banned?

xbhaskarx said:
I see, different time frames.
So is the site banned because he used marketing research data a few years ago, or because his current data is inaccurate?
Also, is there evidence/proof that he used proprietary data? Did he admit it? Is that why he got banned?
it's banned because the current data is just guessing on the same level that people who particpates in the NPD prediction threads are capable of, and some people always kept trying to use them as "real numbers" in arguments.

as far as the data goes, he didn't just admit, he discussed how he adjusted things up or down a bit as he saw fit due to what he felt were inaccuracies in the numbers of various marketing research firms.

[Nintex]

Example of ioi numbers:
Ammount of consoles produced: 1 million
Ammount of consoles sold according to NPD, M-C etc. : 950k
Ammount of consoles sold according to ioi: 1.1 million

He just pulled 150k out of his ass.

At one point WiiSports sold more than the Wii itself in NA and Europe. (MIND BLOWN!)

theguy

Chumly said:
Quote:
1. the fact they dont want to keep an open mind when we have been cited by the likes of Forbes, the NYT, IGN, etc, etc. And Pachter uses this site for his analyst. That right there shows we have better tracking then what NeoGAF wants to admit.

2. As PR rep, and have taken business, statistics, and analyst courses, I can tell you that the NPD does not have 50% of all retail as 60% of the world wide retail market is basically mom and pop stores and small retail chains that dont have the strength to pull 1% of Walmart's numbers. ioi is a bit modest about the percentage of retailers we get. He doesnt want us to let you know the actually percentage but let me tell you its above 7% and below 14% and isnt one of those numbers.
4. Yes, we are more lenient mattering the topic. This is why he is getting a warning for cursing and nothing more. He is defending this site like a loyal member. He isn't doing anything specifically wrong. Just like your fine with defending whatever sites you feel you are more loyal to. Just realize that our numbers are by far more accurate then you want to give us credit for and we all qualify to be analysts. I personally help my local government offices with their financial outlooks for their fiscals.

When the fuck did he manage to pull in 7-14% of retail numbers. We all know his history and he NEVER got retail numbers so when did his site magically start giving real numbers instead of makebelieve.

-------------------------------------------

:lol :lol :lol :lol

When the fuck did he manage to pull in 7-14% of retail numbers. We all know his history and he NEVER got retail numbers so when did his site magically start giving real numbers instead of makebelieve.

Can you tell me where you found this statement? Is it from that zite's "PR rep"? It's important that I locate this reference as soon as possible. Link, please. Thank you in advance.

Cheerilee

xbhaskarx said:
Is that why he got banned?
Because the banned site still thinks we're the ones who need more education on the subject...

Ioi was a Gaffer with the same info as the rest of us nobodies (it's called Sales-Age). He took the info we had and changed it (without any facts to back it up) into something he thought was more "real". People told him that adding random, arbitrary crap to facts doesn't make new facts. He wouldn't listen and got into fights with those people. It was the fights that got him banned.

Then he made his own site and forum and found some lackeys with probably more talent and credentials than himself and used them to spread his brand of crap across the internet. Somewhere along the line he supposedly managed to get some illegal sales info that the rest of us don't have, which might make his info slightly real and newsworthy, although he's almost certainly doing the same old arbitrary crap to the data before releasing it.

His site was banned because noobs were increasingly bringing his crap in here and calling it news and using it as fact in arguments without knowing that we already know all about Ioi's numbers. When it got annoying enough, the site was banned. It was the noobs who caused the site banning, not anything Ioi's site did in particular (unless you want to count misguiding the noobs).

Ioi is proudly fooling major institutions into believing he's a professional, credible authority on videogame sales data, he uses each sucker as proof that he's somehow right, and is probably making some decent money on a bucketful of lies mixed with a dash of illegal data.

Top Bottom