• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Valkyria Chronicles IP completely defunct?

sublimit

Banned
Has Sega completely abandoned this series?Are the original team members still within Sega? And if they are what other game they have made after VC3?

The original game was one of the best and most original new IPs that came out last gen IMO.It would be a shame if we never see another VC game.

Silky

Banned
The game's in my backlog and I have a few hours into it right now, and honestly I wouldn't miss it if it's discontinued. Games' pretty underwhelming.

Oh the first one was SO GOOD.... when they made it and released it I was so pleased with SEGA and my respect for them went up so high.

Truly one of the best games SEGA ever made in their history.

Silky

Banned
What did you find underwhelming?

I love the battle system, but everything else--the 'story' (the events occuring in the game, not the actual background lore--which I find very interesting), cast, musical score are pretty by the book and predictable in regards to tactical RPGs. I'm going to beat it though, and hopefully get my hands on the sequel but at the same time, VC isn't really impressing me.

I wouldn't count it out just yet.

I suppose not, but for those of us who can't read Japanese it's probably a moot point anyways--Valkyria Chronicles isn't coming back to the West until Sega has a change of heart, by which I mean a massive change in their release strategy. So probably never.

Though, to be honest, I'm not sure what else they can do with the IP. I haven't finished VC3 but it already feels a bit like it's stretching the limits of what can be done with the Gallian War scenario. And given how the series has sold, would it make more sense to put energy into revitalizing the franchise (say, by setting it in another war a few years/decades beyond VC2)? More importantly, does SEGA think it makes sense?

sublimit

Banned
Oh the first one was SO GOOD.... when they made it and released it I was so pleased with SEGA and my respect for them went up so high.

Truly one of the best games SEGA ever made in their history.

Have you played Skies of Arcadia? Well i haven't but i've heard so many good things about it and it was made by the same team that made VC. :)

SOLDIER

Or are you just tsundere for the fanservice

I was fine with small doses here and there (like that beach sidequest/episode) but it's been clear lately they stopped caring about modesty judging from these artworks.

It's an obvious sign they're looking to keep the IP alive through the least effort possible, thus asking "quick, what's the one thing people liked about VC that doesn't require gameplay mechanics, character development or story of any kind? Selvaria's cannons? Good, let's bank on that!"

Korigama

I love the battle system, but everything else--the 'story' (the events occuring in the game, not the actual background lore--which I find very interesting), cast, musical score are pretty by the book and predictable in regards to tactical RPGs. I'm going to beat it though, and hopefully get my hands on the sequel but at the same time, VC isn't really impressing me.
Not too sure if you want the sequel if you didn't care for the first game's story or cast (pretty sure both are worse in VC2).
SEGA should of had more faith in the PS3 user base.
They really should've, yeah. Instead, they gambled on the PSP and wound up with two games that both sold less than the original.

Silky

Banned
Not too sure if you want the sequel if you didn't care for the first game's story or cast (pretty sure both are worse in VC2).

Is the gameplay drastically changed for the better? I'll play a game if it has a shit story if the gameplay's top notch.

Again I love the lore of VC.

It's dead let it rest in peace

valkyriachronicles5-620x.jpg

Is the gameplay drastically changed for the better? I'll play a game if it has a shit story if the gameplay's top notch.

There are four Yakuza titles, multiple original IPs, two Virtua Fighter games, and god knows how much Sonic titles on the platform and yet you say that SEGA has no faith in the PS3 user base? What a bizarre comment.

Obviously I'm talking about VC.

Kieli

I hate what they did to the series with VCII.

Don't care that it was on the PSP, but get that high school shit outta my VC.

Korigama

Most seemed satisfied with the actual gameplay. Better for someone with personal experience in the thread to comment, though (I didn't bother playing anything beyond VC1 for myself).

sublimit

Banned

So you basically didn't liked the story,characters and music?

I agree about the story that it wasn't something special but i really liked the characters and their varied personalities.The soundtrack is also one of my favourites last gen. :p
Still i don't think these aspects are enough (at least for me) to call a game underwhelming.

Most seemed satisfied with the actual gameplay. Better for someone with personal experience in the thread to comment, though (I didn't bother playing anything beyond VC1 for myself).

I wouldn't say drastically improved, more like a lateral shift. The biggest change I remember is that VC2 has smaller maps because of PSP memory constraints, so each mission is split up into several different areas connected by base camps. There are also tank upgrades, more classes and a more robust class upgrade system with varying roles, though parts of that system are straight up garbage (you have to collect a bunch of parts to upgrade each character, and those parts only come via random drops, so you could grind out missions for hours and still not be able to upgrade someone to a Fencer Elite because the RNG didn't give you that last part you needed).

VC3 gets rid of that part system in favour of a more streamlined XP-like system--the more you use a character, the faster they get to upgrade to a better class. You can also switch a character's base class at any time (ex. from Shocktrooper to Scout) and if they've already unlocked more advanced classes in that group I think they have access to them immediately as well (ex. Gunner or Shocktrooper Veteran in the Shocktrooper group). Otherwise it's very similar to VC2.

P.S. Stupid VC2 high school bullshit. Worst part of Valkyria Chronicles ever.

Josh7289

I hate how fanservice-laden this series has turned out and I blame it all on Selvaria.
I loved the first game but never had any interest in the other games or the anime or anything else in the series because I also hate the fanservice and don't think it belongs in the series at all.

And yeah the high school setting of VC2 looked incredibly stupid.

I probably got a little further than halfway through and I loved what I played of it before my PS3 died. It seems like anything past the first one has become a high school adventure for PSP so for me, it was dead past the first game anyways.

Soriku

Have you played Skies of Arcadia? Well i haven't but i've heard so many good things about it and it was made by the same team that made VC. :)

SoA is worse, and also dated. The story was generic like Valkyria Chronicles'.

A new SoA that kept the adventuring aspect but overhauled everything else could be pretty good though.

I suppose not, but for those of us who can't read Japanese it's probably a moot point anyways--Valkyria Chronicles isn't coming back to the West until Sega has a change of heart, by which I mean a massive change in their release strategy. So probably never.

Though, to be honest, I'm not sure what else they can do with the IP. I haven't finished VC3 but it already feels a bit like it's stretching the limits of what can be done with the Gallian War scenario. And given how the series has sold, would it make more sense to put energy into revitalizing the franchise (say, by setting it in another war a few years/decades beyond VC2)? More importantly, does SEGA think it makes sense?

VC4: Modern Warfare plz.

sniperpon

First game was brilliant, the reason I bought a PS3 at the time. Sequel was pretty ho-hum; I beat it, but the short subway-friendly missions wore thin pretty quickly for someone like me who was sitting at home playing, versus on the go. It was a slog.

And someone mentioned fan service... the sequel is where that started, I thought the writing was pretty obnoxious.

First game was brilliant, the reason I bought a PS3 at the time. Sequel was pretty ho-hum; I beat it, but the short subway-friendly missions wore thin pretty quickly for someone like me who was sitting at home playing, versus on the go. It was a slog.

And someone mentioned fan service... the sequel is where that started, I thought the writing was pretty obnoxious.

How quickly we forget the Alicia/Rosie/Isara beach scene. Though by Japanese standards, I guess it's a relatively tame scene (especially after VC2 is basically all "JULIANA'S BAZONGAS YOU GUYS")

SEGA seems to have decided they can just use the Shining IP for VC games. Who knows, maybe they'll make a VC4 with Tony Taka waifus.

Josh7289

SoA is worse, and also dated. The story was generic like Valkyria Chronicles'.

A new SoA that kept the adventuring aspect but overhauled everything else could be pretty good though.

VC4: Modern Warfare plz.
Skies of Arcadia is still fantastic. I contend that if you like VC you'll probably like SoA.

batfax

I seem to vaguely recall a lot of the original staff for Valkyria Chronicles were moved to work on those Shining games that they never localize. I don't recall where I heard that though, so maybe I'm just imagining things.

Top Bottom