• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

komplanen

Loved the episode but the ending was such a let down. Other episodes in this season have ended in a cliffhanger or at least on an interesting note like the zombie baby.

Also I haven't read the books or know anything of them but I'm dead set that the surprise twist in the next episode or two will be that the old man Lannister is actually bribing other judges and pulling strings to free Tyrion instead of convicting him. You know, to protect the name. "No son of mine will be a convicted murderer" or something like that.

Do you think Littlefinger would allow Arya to leave if she wanted to? Or the Hound for that matter , provided he saw Sansa?

With Arya there's also the fact that she's valuable as a bargaining chip. There'd certainly be many lords eager to join houses with the Starks of Winterfell.

They've set up the archers at the entrance, so those two will have to sneak in and I think there would be a fight to get Sansa out or that's the time Arya attacks the Hound when his guard is down. Even though I don't think Sansa and Arya left on the best of terms, I wouldn't imagine either of them wanting to hang around there any longer if the opportunity presented itself. Littlefinger can't possibly take both of them hostage.

sangreal

Yeah I have no idea why Littlefinger would want to kill Jon Arryn and make the Starks think the Lannisters did it.

Littlefinger says he likes stability. Discord and chaos interferes with his plan to have "everything". We know that Jon Arryn was putting his nose into the Lannister family history and was possibly close to discovering that the Lannister children were actually incest babies and not true heirs. It makes sense for the Lannisters to kill Jon, but for LF? Why start a war?

At this rate I'll call him the Joker and say he just wants to watch the world burn.

Littlefinger gave an entire speech about how he sees chaos as a ladder to achieve his goals... Your really seem to be confusing his motivations with Varys

I still don't believe that Syrio is dead.

And I refuse to believe Water Dancing is shit, either.

:(

I don't remember if I posted my reactions to this week's episode, but holy shit at the Littlefinger reveal. I've been wrong this whole time. It actually wasn't Cersei and Jamie's fault. It's all him.

I mean, Jon Arryn still knew about the Baratheon kids being bastards, but Cersei didn't do it. Lysa did.

Wow. Even just typing it out is a holy shit moment for me.

Holy shit.

I just thought the reveal would have been more impacting, like it definitely hit me like holy shit this all happened because Petyr manipulated Lysa, but how quickly it was said and how random she just said it seemed like a missed opportunity. I just think the reveal could have been written in a way that made that statement much more intense. I mean that's probably one of the biggest reveals in all 4 seasons of this show so far

(crap sorry for double post)
He's not an anime villain.

TheContact

I hate to say it but if he engaged Meryn and hes still alive then I doubt there's much chance for Syrio to be alive unless he was greatly wounded and lived or something. I guess the good news is that we never saw him die on camera and you usually know what that means in regards to cinematography

Violet_0

Banned
At this point, I think it's meant to be ambiguous. This is Game of Thrones, we would have seen him brutally hacked into pieces if was meant to be undoubtedly dead. I'm not buying that off-screen shit and having him brought up again last ep. only adds to my doubt.

yeah, he's about as dead as explosion-threw-me-off-the-ship Davos

Peagles

Feel a bit like this with Dany now...
tumblr_l2oibwiSB01qz9rjn_zps930dff7c.gif
When's she gonna get to Westeros?

Littlefinger gave an entire speech about how he sees chaos as a ladder to achieve his goals... Your really seem to be confusing his motivations with Varys

Okay I get that. But what are his goals? Apart from leering at Sansa, putting on a crazy accent, and trying to not get married to Lysa so quickly. There needs to be a point to his character, and I hope we find out what it is soon.

Madrin

Feel a bit like this with Dany now...

When's she gonna get to Westeros?

Ha yeah when she was discussing the possibility of invading King's Landing in the wake of Joffrey's death I was like, "Finally, Dany's story is moving along." Then she made a vow to stay where she was and continue having a boring-ass storyline line completely removed from Westeros. :|

KHarvey16

Okay I get that. But what are his goals? Apart from leering at Sansa, putting on a crazy accent, and trying to not get married to Lysa so quickly. There needs to be a point to his character, and I hope we find out what it is soon.

He wants everything and we're watching him execute his plan to get it!

Just saw the episode.

Another low-key one, in tone? I think.

Stuffs I felt a bit underdelivered:
  • When is Tyrion trial already!
  • Dany will never get to Westeros
  • Cocktease on the Stark reunion between Jon and Bran

Stuffs that I enjoyed:
  • Ghost :>
  • Cersei scheming (though Im on Tyrion's side!)
  • Littlefinger and Lysa

Littlefinger wants the Iron Throne. He's constantly staring at it, he and Varys have already spoken about it. The whole "Chaos is a Ladder" speech is all about him getting the Throne. IIRC, he even said to Lady Olenna that Littlefinger would let Westeros burn if he could be king of the ashes.

Dany kind of sucks atm. Her storyline is entirely divorced from everyone else and whenever we do see her it's some biblical shit. She doesn't even seem like a person.

BraXzy

"I'm done waiting, Peytr. We had our wedding night many years ago. Don't you remember?"
"Like it was yesterday."
"What wife would do for you the things I've done for you? What wife would trust you the way I've trusted you. When you gave me those (not clear) and told me to pour them into John's wine. My husband's wine. When you told me to write a letter to Cat telling her it was the Lannisters"
*SMOOCH*

Peytr and Lysa have been having an affair for years. The poison that killed John Arryn was administered by Lysa at Peytr's request, who then had her send Catelyn Stark a message raven stating the Lannisters were behind everything.

John Arryn was the hand of the king (Robert's reign) before Ned was offered the job. He was dead when the first episode of season one started, and was important to the plot. It was implied the Lannisters had killed him, as John had discovered their secret: the children are inbred bastards. Ned later discovers what John had. Cat is Ned's wife, killed at the Red Wedding. She is Lysa's sister.

I always got super confused at the start because people would repeatedly mention Jon Arryn had died but then also mention that the mad king had died, and I thought they were the same person or I kept mixing them up. This makes sense.

Gonna need to re-watch this show.

Yoda

Dany kind of sucks atm. Her storyline is entirely divorced from everyone else and whenever we do see her it's some biblical shit. She doesn't even seem like a person.

More importantly I find Emila Clarke's acting to be stale. You can tell she's better suited for stage acting and not TV acting. Why does she have to act like a stern reagent when she's only with her inner council? If she doesn't trust them then they shouldn't be on the council the begin with! Her character has become extremely dull given her lack of any emotional conflict minus her vengeance spurts with slave owners.

Dany's storyline needs some conflict. Something to stop her achieving her goals. Her liberation tour of Essos has seemed all to easy so far and she doesn't "need" anything like an army, ships, or safety.

A villain would be nice here. Someone to put a face to. Maybe the fact that Jorah mentioned a "butcher named Cleon" (don't know the spelling) might lead somewhere.

so what is littlefinger's plan now?

he is married and lord of the eyrie. I think he will now kill Lyssa and the kid and marry sansa.

my guess is then he will get the iron bank to collect their debts, try and set off a war between the tyrells+lannisters vs the iron bank - which is from Bravos isnt it?

If the lannisters and tyrells get killed during that war, he may be the most powerful man in westeros, besides the Dornish maybe?

Koko

Banned

he is married and lord of the eyrie. I think he will now kill Lyssa and the kid and marry sansa.

my guess is then he will get the iron bank to collect their debts, try and set off a war between the tyrells+lannisters vs the iron bank - which is from Bravos isnt it?

If the lannisters and tyrells get killed during that war, he may be the most powerful man in westeros, besides the Dornish maybe?

He would still have to deal with Roose Bolton, Lord Greyjoy, Mance Rayder, White Walkers, Danny, etc.

You guys have to remember that Dany is the daughter of the mad king and is just as nuts as him and her brother. Remember how she tried to kill herself in a giant bonfire because the guy who raped her a lot until she learned to like it by staring at her dragon eggs while he did it died? Remember that when she didn't die she just took a bunch of people into the desert because, well, she thought it was a good idea? Remember how she tried to keep Khal Rapeo alive with voodoo from a lady that hated him because she figured that since she was voodoo lady's savior, everything was all even? Remember when she had her brother killed because he was very pushy about taking back Westeros from the people who killed her entire family?

She ain't gonna be doing anything that makes any sense anytime soon, right now they call her pizza and she totally believes it and so she's got to pizza hard. And of course she's already fucked that up, so they probably all hate her now for abandoning them.

Haha it's like going down a checklist. "Well crap, we killed everybody. Promote the next house of side-characters to murderworthy status. To refresh things for the next war." I feel like we're going to run out of characters before we run out of television. Baratheons mostly taken out, tullys mostly taken out, starks and lannisters slowly getting worked one person (or limb) at a time. Dornishmen and tyrells can't go forever without taking losses, surely. The final season will just be 10 episodes of whoever the last surviving stark orphan is, weeping in the ashes of king's landing.

So...why did Baelish convince Lisa to kill Jon Arryn again? What did he get out of it?

Well what I figure is he knew the Lannister were the strongest in the 7 kingdoms. So by getting rid of Arryn and blaming it on the Lannister he can get the starks to go at the Lannister (I'm not 100% sure but I always figure that Eddard, Robert and Jon were like 3 brothers so they do anything to avenge the others). And of course when you go to war you spend money thus the more money the Lannister spend the more debt they are in and their power slowly starts to dwindle until it reaches the point when he can claim the spot the Lannister had at the start of the show.

I kind of hate little finger being the big bad. He's not nearly interesting enough to me to have been given this level of prominence. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth that, yeah he's the dude who if wasn't around everything would not have gone down. Maybe it's the actor idk. Either way it's a dissatisfying.

inky

My question is...where are all the dentists? Because these people have nice teeth.

You mean barbers/surgeons.

They probably don't eat much sugar, and eat things like carrots and apples often, which are said help keep your teeth white and healthy. They could also have primitive teeth cleaning methods, similar to those reported from medieval times :p

They've set up the archers at the entrance, so those two will have to sneak in and I think there would be a fight to get Sansa out or that's the time Arya attacks the Hound when his guard is down. Even though I don't think Sansa and Arya left on the best of terms, I wouldn't imagine either of them wanting to hang around there any longer if the opportunity presented itself. Littlefinger can't possibly take both of them hostage.

From what I've seen I doubt there'll be a Stark reunion for the girls either. Bran passed up the chance to say hi to Jon twice already. Also I have a feeling that if the the Hound and Arya enter the Bloody Gate, it'll be the end of the Hound :/

He would still have to deal with Roose Bolton, Lord Greyjoy, Mance Rayder, White Walkers, Danny, etc.

The white walkers / Mance rayder havent moved any further south since last series. What the hell is going on with them???

I dont think Roose has many men or power, he has just been elevated to watcher over winterfell but he would obviously be called into war to fight with the Lannisters and suffer losses.

greyjoy didnt want to have anything to do with the war and Id suspect he would stay at his island.

Dany now wants to rule like a queen, so I suspect she is putting plans to invade westeros on ice.

Littlefinger can just hide out at the eyrie and wait for everyone to kill themselves.

Haha it's like going down a checklist. "Well crap, we killed everybody. Promote the next house of side-characters to murderworthy status. To refresh things for the next war." I feel like we're going to run out of characters before we run out of television. Baratheons mostly taken out, tullys mostly taken out, starks and lannisters slowly getting worked one person (or limb) at a time. Dornishmen and tyrells can't go forever without taking losses, surely. The final season will just be 10 episodes of whoever the last surviving stark orphan is, weeping in the ashes of king's landing.

yeah oberyon has to kills someone soon surely. He went from being a madman who stabbed a lannister to a struggling poet hanging out in the garden's very quickly.

and the tyrells surely will have a death. Cersi seemed a bit too nice to margery in the latest episode.

The white walkers / Mance rayder havent moved any further south since last series. What the hell is going on with them???

I dont think Roose has many men or power, he has just been elevated to watcher over winterfell but he would obviously be called into war to fight with the Lannisters and suffer losses.

greyjoy didnt want to have anything to do with the war and Id suspect he would stay at his island.

Dany now wants to rule like a queen, so I suspect she is putting plans to invade westeros on ice.

Littlefinger can just hide out at the eyrie and wait for everyone to kill themselves.

yeah oberyon has to kills someone soon surely. He went from being a madman who stabbed a lannister to a struggling poet hanging out in the garden's very quickly.

and the tyrells surely will have a death. Cersi seemed a bit too nice to margery in the latest episode.

When was he a madman also when did he stab a lannister

When was he a madman also when did he stab a lannister

Probably referring to when he stabbed the Lannister soldier in the hand when he was first introduced. I think he knew what he was doing.

yeah, when he stabbed the lannister in the brothel.

he went from being a calm man talking to tyrion, to stabbing a man. Even if he knew what he was doing, he became mad, as in angry, enough to stab a man.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

And I refuse to believe Water Dancing is shit, either.

I don't think anyone can argue Water Dancing sucks, the only reason Syrio lost is because he had a wooden sword. If he had a real one he'd have won easily, that much was obvious. He beat four guys unconscious without taking a single hit himself, Water Dancing is beastly.

Also holy shit at the Little Finger reveal. That came out of nowhere.

Wow...this episode...great stuff. Revelations and stuff.

- Jon Arryn murderer revealed! (WHOAAA...WTF moment)
- Hodor and the neck snap! (WHOAA...that escalated quickly!)
- Jon Snow fight (Jon would've lost in a straight duel)
- Brienne & Pod (might seem insignificant, but great scene)
- Arya & The Hound (Love the interactions of this two)
- Tywin's reveal ("doesn't matter, amount's the same")
- Daenaerys (do what Queens do)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom