• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 2008 TRAILER "This Summer... Courage is Solid" (SPOILERS)

dabookerman said:
Well first of all, here are the rest of the BB squad.

Regarding Lyndall Jarvis, there are loads of pics here

A Wolf's Butt has never looked so inviting.

Woah, thanks.

So only two of them are actually hot. I can live with that.

Lakitu

st5fu
2i2altx.gif

<3

McLovin

I was getting this game on hype alone. The other trailers didn't really do it for me. This one made me glad I pre-ordered. Lots of spoilers but I think its worth it.

Id.

Ahhh nooo! This trailer left me wanting the game to be released now!

Why must the wait be so unbearable?!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That trailer was the cheesiest thing ever. Almost embarrassingly cheesy. I adore the series, but I came away second guessing my own hype watching that.

witness

Way too cheesey, why can't they just do a simple dramatic trailer like the Gears of War trailer that was put in theaters?

I'm surprised people get excited over this stuff. The story still looks borderline on the area of being written by a nine year old with down syndrome and super hero fetish (MGS3 was a push away from that but this looks like it just wallows in it).

Deepblue

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
I'm surprised people get excited over this stuff. The story still looks borderline on the area of being written by a nine year old with down syndrome and super hero fetish (MGS3 was a push away from that but this looks like it just wallows in it).
Definitely. But it has purty visuals. Everything with Liquid is just cringe-worthy.

soldat7

Come on. I can't play through these fast enough. I'm worried that I won't catch up in time. I'm currently
being tortured by Ocelot in MGS1, trying to survive 3 times...dang hard...

I'm not gonna watch this...

ThirdEye

No Means Nomad said:
Yeah, as good as the Halo 3 story... oh wait.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ThirdEye said:
Yeah, as good as the Halo 3 story... oh wait.

That was kinda uncalled for you know. Everyone has opinions....... jesus, everyone is labeled a fanboy here. Fuck off.

Anyway, the trailer was very good and gave a movie vibe :D I am still on the wall if to purchase a PS3, but let's see....

WrikaWrek

Banned
Downloading.

I'm too weak, i hate myself.

*clicks play*

edit: That voice off was corny as shit, but i was surprised by the footage...some stuff i wasn't expecting. :D

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Deepblue said:
Definitely. But it has purty visuals. Everything with Liquid is just cringe-worthy.

IF the game is 20+ hours long, we still know barely anything about the story at all. And yes, it does have purty visuals. :D

No Means Nomad said:

its different taste man...I really dislike this kind of stuff in movies, but MGS has a lot more going for it...snake is a well designed and charismatic character...most of all the series has fantastic set pieces and visual design.

I mean you have a BK avatar...I could ask how old you are and queery, how you might still like that sort of stuff...but I won't because I can understand how you might like that from certain perspective ( I like the jak series).

Honestly, if you are talking about cheese and cliche, by any other standard, videogames are full of it...Halo, Gears of War, Resident Evil etc.. i have slightly different tastes and perspectives when it comes to games vs books or movies....immersion, visuals, intensity changes things I suppose....

In MGS the gameplay, and visual design sell it for me...and I enjoy story heavy games

NeXuSDK

Now THAT is how you showcase a game! Although I'm no big fan of the series and the always semi-weird japanese stories, this trailer made me wet myself. With the proper media budget, this trailer will ensure great sales for sure.

Yoboman

MGS4 does seem cheesy when seeing it almost from an outside perspective like that trailer. Still, the movie going public might feel completely different

Yoboman

nelsonroyale said:
its different taste man...I really dislike this kind of stuff in movies, but MGS has a lot more going for it...snake is a well designed and charismatic character...most of all the series has fantastic set pieces and visual design.

I mean you have a BK avatar...I could ask how old you are and queery, how you might still like that sort of stuff...but I won't because I can understand how you might like that from certain perspective ( I like the jak series).

Honestly, if you are talking about cheese and cliche, by any other standard, videogames are full of it...Halo, Gears of War, Resident Evil etc.. i have slightly different tastes and perspectives when it comes to games vs books or movies....immersion, visuals, intensity changes things I suppose....

In MGS the gameplay, and visual design sell it for me...and I enjoy story heavy games
Why the big ass post? You don't have to justify enjoying one of the best gaming franchises ever created to anyone.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Yoboman said:
MGS4 does seem cheesy when seeing it almost from an outside perspective like that trailer. Still, the movie going public might feel completely different

The only problem with the trailer is the Voice off (Narrator whatever). It reminds me of the 80s action movies, that kind of crap just doesn't fly nowadays anymore.

They should cut it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oscar quality acting

. . . :lol

jesus, what is with that voice acting? that was pretty sad. the writing in that dramatic trailer is sort of a joke, too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
beelzebozo said:
oscar quality acting

. . . :lol

jesus, what is with that voice acting? that was pretty sad. the writing in that dramatic trailer is sort of a joke, too.
That explains why I have always been more hyped for this than something like GTA4. The content is what real fans care about. Not a cheesy narrator.

Yoboman said:
Why the big ass post? You don't have to justify enjoying one of the best gaming franchises ever created to anyone.

you are right, just though I would put down some of my thoughts...I do find it a little strange how there is strong criticism in general of MGS story, where alot of games are much worse in this regards...controversy I suppose, most other games dont even have that

witness

LiquidMetal14 said:
That explains why I have always been more hyped for this than something like GTA4. The content is what real fans care about. Not a cheesy narrator.

Its not about you, that trailer is going to be in movie theaters. How is that mess supposed to appeal to no gamers at theaters?

Yoboman

WrikaWrek said:
The only problem with the trailer is the Voice off (Narrator whatever). It reminds me of the 80s action movies, that kind of crap just doesn't fly nowadays anymore.

They should cut it.
Yeah. I think they could've cut out all his lines and done it like a regular trailer

Example, the first line:

Narrator: "In the not too distant future, warfare is the basis of a global economy"

Could have easily been

Roy Campbell: "War is to the 21st Century, what oil was to the 20th. The pillar that supports the global community."

The trailer was abit all over the place too.. Were they focusing on Snake, on his age, on Liquid, on the theme of warfare? They could've picked a theme, instead we saw a lot of one liners which don't really work

Still, I see where they were going. And even though to us MGS fans it's a bit weird, I think it'll work exactly how they want

bj00rn

Banned
Yoboman said:

"THE SYSTEM...IS MEEEIN!"

"DIIIIIE SNAKE..!!!"

"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!"

"BROTHEAR...! IT'S - BEEN - TOO.......LOOOOOOOOONGG!!!!"

"DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!"

...I think the cheese is strong alright... But like many other cheesy games I'm sure the gameplay will make up for it exponentially for me to more than tolerate it. I'm excited despite the cheese so-to-speak.

witness said:
Its not about you, that trailer is going to be in movie theaters. How is that mess supposed to appeal to no gamers at theaters?

This was sort of what I was getting at with my "alternate perspective" post, but folks here just said I had shitty taste.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
omgomgomgomgomg

And yeah, that proves that the Young Snake thing is definitely camo. You can hear the Octo-Camo sound effect when his face changes.

Yoboman

bj00rn said:
"THE SYSTEM...IS MEEEIN!"

"DIIIIIE SNAKE..!!!"

"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!"

"BROTHEAR...! IT'S - BEEN - TOO.......LOOOOOOOOONGG!!!!"

"DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!"

...I think the cheese is strong alright... But like many other cheesy games I'm sure the gameplay will make up for it exponentially for me to more than tolerate it. I'm excited despite the cheese so-to-speak.
Oh please, they obviously hand picked his most over the top lines to juxtapose him as the clear villain in the trailer. Ocelot is not going to be consistently like that

Top Bottom