• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Gamer's Day - May 13th - Update Thread (OP continues on Post #6)

C4Lukins

MirageDwarf said:
Did you honestly think it would get 2008 release?

Why not? We had seen as much of it as we have of Banjo up until a few days ago, and we just found out about Viva Pinata 2. I do not think that no announcement today means it is definitely not coming out this year either. It may not, but we still have E3 and I am sure they want to have at least one big new showing there.

NeXuSDK

Rocksteady33 said:
I know Click Clock Woods would have lost all sense of precision and timed platforming had there just been an aircraft I could hop in to.

Come on, did you just say that? You don't think that Rare actually designs map based on the core gameplay concept? Of course Click Clock Woods would have been ruined with this new gameplay, since it wasn't designed for it...

Geez...

Nolan.

Rocksteady33 said:
I'm not saying that they aren't pushing to get into the casual crowd or just other demographics for that matter, they are, but they haven't had much success. And because of that we see one Rare franchise (Viva Pinata) continue to approach that, with its simulation gameplay, loads of merchandise and Fox Kids TV show. The other brand (Banjo-Kazooie) is then geared away, not necessarily solely to the FPS demographic, but certainly something that they'd find more interesting compared to it being a pretty true sequel to the N64 games.

And as for the "colors, the landscape, the entire stitched textures" yes I do feel like that has swayed away from the original games. Before the environments were open, welcoming and had a desire to be explored. Now it's cluttered with generic cogs, with shades of green trees. Where's the sense of exploration and platforming up to extensive heights when I can simply hop in a flying aircraft and zip right over to it?

I know Click Clock Woods would have lost all sense of precision and timed platforming had there just been an aircraft I could hop in to.

By that token wouldn't you expect all of rare's offerings to take some form of appeasing the fps demographic? since that seems to be your stance. Why would ms influence them to turn one of their franchise into something they didn't originally want it to and leave the rest. For that matter maintaining that logic why would ms look into making sequels for anything that didn't make them money if their true intentions was to stick to what works and not break new ground.?

jacobs34

duckroll said:
If he thought I had nothing good to say he would have ignored me long ago. :p

Of course it's a big problem when you like SOME of what a person posts, but not the negative things he posts about. I don't see any reason to be less negative about things I feel just aren't good. It's not like I wake up in the morning and go "WOO LET'S TROLL SILICON KNIGHTS TODAY!" Did I know they were going to cut out 4-player co-op? Nope. Do I know that they're going to release a bunch of bad screenshots before they do? Nope. How about instead of focusing on people being negative about things that are shown, demand that developers and publishers show stuff that DON'T look like shit, and DON'T disappoint people, and DON'T make people upset? Consumers are the highest power in any industry, but I swear so many of you don't realize it. Stop being cocksuckers and man up, call it as you see it. Quality of products will improve when developers realize people don't take shit.

Wait what? Have you seen the co-op trailer yet, do you really what four people dashing around on your screen. At some point you have to look at the game your making and say, how much is too much? I don't understand how a person can like a game they haven't played when it has four player coop and rag on a game THEY HAVE NOT PLAYED becuase it was cut to two player co-op? Play they game first, then make your decision. I'm not directing this post at you duckroll, it's more of a general rant at people who are so quick to throw a game under the buss because they cut a feature. Wait until the game is out, give the developers the benefit of the doubt, it's not like you've given them your money yet on a false promise! Unless you pre-ordered.... in which case I feel no sympathy for you, you should know better.

pswii60

duckroll said:
If he thought I had nothing good to say he would have ignored me long ago. :p

Of course it's a big problem when you like SOME of what a person posts, but not the negative things he posts about. I don't see any reason to be less negative about things I feel just aren't good. It's not like I wake up in the morning and go "WOO LET'S TROLL SILICON KNIGHTS TODAY!" Did I know they were going to cut out 4-player co-op? Nope. Do I know that they're going to release a bunch of bad screenshots before they do? Nope. How about instead of focusing on people being negative about things that are shown, demand that developers and publishers show stuff that DON'T look like shit, and DON'T disappoint people, and DON'T make people upset? Consumers are the highest power in any industry, but I swear so many of you don't realize it. Stop being cocksuckers and man up, call it as you see it. Quality of products will improve when developers realize people don't take shit.

I do have standards. I just don't see why I have to -lower- these standards just because people are upset that I'm being "overly negative" about something. Come on, how can it be trolling Silicon Knights or Too Human by simply pointing out how crap the entire PR ride has been so far?
Can we get back on topic now and stop arguing? :p
jacobs34 said:
Wait what? Have you seen the co-op trailer yet, do you really what four people dashing around on your screen. At some point you have to look at the game your making and say, how much is too much? I don't understand how a person can like a game they haven't played when it has four player coop and rag on a game THEY HAVE NOT PLAYED becuase it was cut to two player co-op? Play they game first, then make your decision. I'm not directing this post at you duckroll, it's more of a general rant at people who are so quick to throw a game under the buss because they cut a feature. Wait until the game is out, give the developers the benefit of the doubt, it's not like you've given them your money yet on a false promise! Unless you pre-ordered.... in which case I feel no sympathy for you, you should know better.
You too. Right or wrong, none of this is going anywhere. Use PM.

Quazar

I'm not surprised about Alan wake not making it this year. In fact that one website that leaked it's publisher before E3 announcement happened reported they heard it will not make 2008 couple months back. So I'll take their word for it for now.

NeXuSDK

Great quote from the CVG interview that should convince everybody why Banjo is still a platform game:

The traditional Banjo game was like, 'here's a character, we'll give you some moves but they're fixed abilities, and you use those fixed abilities to try and discover the solution to a designed problem.'

[In the new game] we're giving you a load of abilities, and you're able to combine those abilities however you feel will solve the problem. So rather than it being a case of trying to find the designer's way of doing it, maybe you can find your own way of doing it. I guess that, in a nutshell, is really what the game is, just having the freedom of trying to find your own way of doing things rather than what we tell you.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Hey Mr. duckroll, Could you change the title so that ppl know the updates are on post 6. Is there anyway to fix the op so i can edit that ? I failed :(

batbeg

By the way, it's kind of funny for those saying they should have used a different IP if they were going to change that... because they saw the IP as perfectly fit for the gameplay :p

How far was the game through development before you came up with the idea of creating vehicles?
The idea of the vehicles came before it was a Banjo game. The whole core idea of the player building vehicles from components was from the very start and it wasn't very long before we thought this'd make a good Banjo game.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=4202

scitek

My God, the lack of punctuation and basic sentence structure in here hurts my brain.

I think the main issue with Banjo's change of style is the fact that Rare's recent work is considered to be of a lesser quality than their older work, i.e. Banjo.

People were hoping that the revival of an older franchise might bring Rare back to their roots, but now it looks like the "new" Rare is changing what worked in the past, and that makes people skeptical, especially when they've already damaged one of their older IPs, Perfect Dark, by doing something similar.

NeXuSDK

m0dus said:
Back on subject:

grassyx6.gif

that's like a year old. some memes NEVER DIE

A winner is you

faberpach

fable 2 is really looking solid...

I trully enjoyed fable (on pc with the expansion) so i was already sold for more fable...
but the news and screens just add more desire.

Too bad it's being relased at the end of the year...

Hope it is really relased at the end of the year...

duckroll

m0dus said:
I was actually referring to the overtly dismissive 'get used to it' aspect. I mean, come on, now--we all know that kind of thing should be saved for the blithering idiot-man child who can't be bothered to use punctuation as he writes out his rants in all-caps, not someone that is able to make an actual, sensible contribution to the discussion. But that's just my perspective. :)

Yes, I'm sorry, these arguments never end well. I should go prepare the swords for my ritual suicide soon anyway, since Ninja Blade looks to be a no show. :(

Rocksteady33

Nolan. said:
By that token wouldn't you expect all of rare's offerings to take some form of appeasing the fps demographic? since that seems to be your stance. Why would ms influence them to turn one of their franchise into something they didn't originally want it to and leave the rest. For that matter maintaining that logic why would ms look into making sequels for anything that didn't make them money if their true intentions was to stick to what works and not break new ground.?

Yes but do you understand that Viva Pinata was released before the home console casual gaming boom? Sony and Microsoft are both playing catchup to find their "hit" casual game that can take market away from Nintendo. Why do you think we're seeing a sequel to Viva Pinata now? It has a casual like game style that almost anyone can get into, and Microsoft is making sure of that because like Rare has said they've made VP2 more accessible. Maybe you don't pay attention to Sales-Age but while Microsoft is doing very well, especially software wise, Nintendo is the one growing at an exponential rate, and mostly due to casual gaming - something Microsoft doesn't have yet. They have to take risks on games like Viva Pinata if they want to break the ground that Nintendo is breaking.

dionysus

Yaldog
I think the platform genre has moved beyond just jumping as being the defining feature. I propose that a 3-D platform's defining element is precisely controlled 3-D movement as a method of puzzle solving.

fable-2-20080502000048489.jpg

fable-2-20080220003908929.jpg

Just exploring this game is going to be so amazing. Seeing screens like this its no wonder Peter doesn't want you to take your eyes off the world and onto a gay radar or compass for one second.

jacobs34

Shard said:
SO has there been any new information released yet on Ninja Blade or Lips?

Wait for this afternoon, they are having a luncheon in a couple of hours, remember it's still pretty early on the west coast.

hiryu

Princess Skittles said:
So the option to create a female character in Fable 2 (a game where character creation and immerse is a focal point) was only included at the behest of the (likely few) women on staff? And there was a sex mini-game that had to be replaced by a black screen with moaning? I mean, c'mon, are the people designing this stuff a bunch of fat comic book guys who know not the touch of a woman, tittering at the idea of a sex mini-game?

It's cringe inducing.

Have you ever played Fable 1? It also had a sex minigame where the screen went black and you had to hit a few button combos and there was some light moaning. I imagine this is just like that. You had to date the character and get her gifts and I think in some cases marry her. It's pretty similar to GTA 4 and I imagine Fable 2 will be very similar. Heck one of the points of the game is to have children and rase a family. Kind of hard to have a kid if you don't have sex. I think you might be going a little overboard with your reaction in this case.

Francias Castiglione said:
Fable 2 has such tight art direction, I love it.

Yeah the art is truly amazing along with the music, man I am so excited for this game.

WrikaWrek said:
We still have hope.

Actually, i'm starting lose all my hope. No Ninja Blade in sight.

Do we have any idea what Ninja Blade is?

C4Lukins said:
Why not? We had seen as much of it as we have of Banjo up until a few days ago, and we just found out about Viva Pinata 2. I do not think that no announcement today means it is definitely not coming out this year either. It may not, but we still have E3 and I am sure they want to have at least one big new showing there.
Alan Wake seems big first party title for Microsoft. With list of current first party games, they can release almost one first party game each month. I don't see how they will put two big budget titles within short time frame.

Plus, reading some of news articles and comments from MS, it sounds like even they aren't sure that it will be released in 2008.

VALIS

I'm very happy Rare decided to create a new game for Banjo 3 instead of listen to the nostalgia-clogged opinions of those who wanted the same Banjo but in HD. The vehicle building sounds very intriguing. In fact, my Banjo hype went from barely existent to my most anticipated game of the year now. That's why sandbox world games are always among my favorite, I love games where you help define the gameplay rather than have it all mapped out for you.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm glad that Rare are trying something different with Banjo, I admire their guts. Viva Pinata was good and very original and I don't think I would want a direct sequel made after most of the original staff have left.

Much better to see Banjo taken in a new direction, then pushed into a similar sequel that doesn't live up to the greatness of the originals.
Where did you read that?

Top Bottom