• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, my assumption is that it was Tywin whom convinced Shae to testify, perhaps reassuring her that it was a "fake" trial or something like that. And he is cunning enough to consider the possibility that could make an arrangement with Bronn too (on lenient terms).

But not for a moment I think that Bronn would betray Tyrion for money. He spoke too highly of him with Jaime for that to occur. He was conspicuously absent, so something is going on that front.

Because really.. if Tyrion survives (with a champion), it would be too dangerous for him to remain on King's Landing anyway. He has too many powerful enemies now.

They've probably sent Bronn away, they know what he's capable of. They don't want his fighting skills anywhere near Tyrion's brains.

sangreal

don't know why everyone is trying to deflect blame from Shea... He begged her to stop and she looked him right in the eye and tore him apart. She wanted it

Sober

The Lannisters could very well have been one step ahead of him. Bronn's a bro, he wouldn't do that.
Bronn is not really a bro. He's a sellsword. You can pay him to be a bro, but as soon as you can't afford him or a better offer comes along ...

Podrick is the real bro.

farisr

If only Jaime waited till the end of the trial...Tywin was going to exile Tyrion to the Night's Watch anyway. Jaime forfeited his status for nothing lol But good on him for looking out for his brother, unlike their thundercunt of a father and sister..

Well his status is not forfeited since Tyrion is not being exiled to the Night's Watch.

Also, possible spoiler, this was said in the anatomy of a scene video for the trial
once trial by combat is called for, any prior deals made around the trial are voided according to the law in westeros, so Jaime's deal would count in that, and hence he is still the kingsguard.

(sorry if I misunderstood and you were just talking about jaime's approach rather than saying that he has actually forfeit his title)

LowParry

Yeah, if you want to avoid who the two fighters are, avoid the Season 4 promo. It makes it pretty obvious who they are. I mean it could be something entirely different but the setting you see says it all really.

Sendero

Yeah, if you want to avoid who the two fighters are, avoid the Season 4 promo. It makes it pretty obvious who they are. I mean it could be something entirely different but the setting you see says it all really.
The same scene was shown in a one the past 2-3 trailers as well. So, it has been pretty much obvious what's going to happen since long time.

But honestly, even without that, you can tell that the options are rather scarce now that Tyrion seemed to have entered on scorched earth mode.

It's pretty much telling that during the trial, each of the Lannisters where in an opposite direction (cross). This is a defining moment. Whatever happen after this, there won't be a family anymore. Stuff is about to get real.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was pretty explicit. I think last season, Tywin threatened Tyrion that if he found another whore, he would have her killed. Early in this season, Cersei's mole told her about Shae. Later, Shae was captured before she was able to leave King's Landing. Maybe Bronn helped out.

And then, I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Shae was all like "wtf don't kill me". And Cersei or Tywin was like "ok then, I have a plan for you".

The same plan that was tried with Poddrick. But unlike Shae, he had an exit strategy.

All of that makes perfect logical sense, but I don't remember a scene where Shae gets captured. Was that scene included or are you just inferring it happened? I feel like I'd remember something of that magnitude.
The show has not mentioned anything. We however know that Cercei's maiden spied on her. And during the weeding festival, Cercei mentions the fact to Tywin, whom pretty much assures that she will be taken care of before the escape.

The really important question is.. Did Bronn sold her out? He reasurred Tyrion that Shae was safe and already on the ship. Does not seem like his character at all. But you have to wonder...
Hmm, I'll have to rewatch that wedding sequence. I think I do remember that. I'm assuming thats what happened I just think its pretty weak the show didn't actually show it. I kinda rolled my eyes when she entered the room. Though I was kinda expecting her to somehow act as like a character witness to prove his innocence but then I remembered I was watching Game of Thrones.

Also, I started reading the first chapter of the first book so I'm technically a book reader now.

Nameless

Bronn is not really a bro. He's a sellsword. You can pay him to be a bro, but as soon as you can't afford him or a better offer comes along ...

Podrick is the real bro.

I agree, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Bronn would murder a baby for the right price so there's definitely an amount of money that would compel him to betray a friend. That he wasn't called to testify against Tyrion indicates Cersei's offer fell short.

Then again for all we know he was the one who led Cersei to Shae, and was waiting in the wings to testify before Tyrion's impromptu massacre of King's Landing. I try not to think these thoughts, though. You can't spell Bronn without Bro.

Xamdou

don't know why everyone is trying to deflect blame from Shea... He begged her to stop and she looked him right in the eye and tore him apart. She wanted it

It's possible that Tywin used Shae since the beginning to play Tyrion. Now she is going out full force, but Tyrion ain't having any of that!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Bronn would murder a baby the right price so there's definitely an amount of money that would compel him to betray a friend. That he wasn't called to testify against Tyrion indicates Cersei's offer fell short.

Then again for all we know he was the one who led Cersei to Shae, and was waiting in the wings to testify before Tyrion's impromptu massacre of King's Landing. I try not to think these thoughts, though. You can't spell Bronn without Bro.

I doubt there would have been anyone after Shae, she was obviously the star witness.

Peagles

I really enjoyed this episode, bar a few gripes. Some thoughts:

Yara ended up being a major disappointment. So he's gone crazy, bop him on the head, sling him over your shoulder and gap it. I was yelling this out while watching it, lol. If you can't do that, give him a merciful death at least. Leaving him there to endure more of that shit was terrible and dangerous because he's an asset in enemy hands.

Oberyn is the man. I love how disrespectful he is.

When they called their last witness I totally called it as Shae (yelled it out while watching hehe). She may have been threatened but I find it hard to believe they had to twist her arm to say all those things. There was such a spitefulness to the whole thing, and very personal insults, which nobody needed to know about in order to make her an effective 'under duress' witness. I suspect the rehearsed sound to her lines on the stand is more due to her as an actor rather than the character reading a script.

Don't think I need to add any more praise for Dinklage. Amazing stuff...

Props to Jamie too for the facial expressions.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Yara scene was ok it was just cheap as hell. It was a very odd episode. Lots of short action packed scenes and then it just went full on courtroom drama for a full 30 minutes. Now that Reek will be pretending to be Theon as a sort of Manchurian Candidate type hypnotized double agent that storyline has the potential to get a lot more interesting.

Lamel

Banned
Jaime's affection for Tyrion makes me root for his character. Dammit, I know he is a scumbag, but at the same time he has his humanity.

Had to rewatch the last 10 minutes with the courtroom scene with Tyrion about 5 times because of how powerful and an amazing job the actor does there.

It is pretty obvious the fight will be between:
Oberyn and The Mountain
No idea who will win and what Tyrion will do afterward though. I can't imagine if he lives that he could be around the backstabbing council and Cersei anymore.

I actually like Stannis and I think the actor does a great job with the character. He is someone that has never smiled in his life supposedly.

The Dany scenes still are the weakest overall this season (other than the dragon appearances).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jaime's affection for Tyrion makes me root for his character. Dammit, I know he is a scumbag, but at the same time he has his humanity.

In my mind Jaime is as close to a hero as you're going to get in GRRM's world. Everybody is critically flawed in some way. It's poetic that once upon a time Jaime really did something worthy of being a big damn hero (the real reasons he slayed a king) and almost nobody will ever know the truth.

In my mind Jaime is as close to a hero as you're going to get in GRRM's world. Everybody is critically flawed in some way. It's poetic that once upon a time Jaime really did something worthy of being a big damn hero (the real reasons he slayed a king) and almost nobody will ever know the truth.

He tried to murder a child. That puts him pretty far down the list of "heroes" behind pretty much anybody with the last name Stark, Jon Snow, hell even Mama Tyrell.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
He tried to murder a child. That puts him pretty far down the list of "heroes" behind pretty much anybody with the last name Stark, Jon Snow, hell even Mama Tyrell.

I suppose I mean hero in the operatic sense - his place in the drama.

His flaw is his irrational love for Cersei which convinces him to do horrible things. Then when he's away from her, he veers back towards becoming an honorable and compassionate man.

I suppose I mean hero in the operatic sense - his place in the drama.

His flaw is his irrational love for Cersei which convinces him to do horrible things. Then when he's away from her, he veers back towards becoming an honorable and compassionate man.

I guess so. The world GRRM has created is so grim and hopeless that maybe even someone who callously pushed a child out of a window could find redemption. I see what you are saying.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I guess so. The world GRRM has created is so grim and hopeless that maybe even someone who callously pushed a child out of a window could find redemption. I see what you are saying.

haha, nerp.

GRRM has created a world where, hey, the wintery apocalypse can't get here fast enough, if only to see all these horrible people come to the realization that, maybe they should have gotten their shit together instead of screwing around about which idiot should be king. Winter is Coming, and they be screwed.

KDF0QJv.jpg

Content Roundup: The Laws of Gods and Men

Reviews and Recaps:
AV Club (newbies)
Alan Sepinwall (Hitfix) Review
Andy Greenwald (Grantland) Recap
Rolling Stone Recap
IGN Review
Memles (Cultural Learning) Recap
TIME Recap
The Guardian Recap
James Hibberd (EW) Recap
Washington Post Recap
Huffington Post Recap
WiC.net Recap (Unsullied)

HBO Content:
HBO Viewers Guide
Inside the Episode
"A Pool of Funds"
"No Turning Back"
Clip: Tyrion's Breakdown
Anatomy of a scene: Tyrion's Trial
"Mockingbird" Preview

Interviews:
Byran Cogman Interview
Byran Cogman Interview #2
Director Alik Sakharov
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

This post will be linked in the OP.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What an episode. Poor Tyrion getting fucked over by all those stupid shit heads. And Shae, stupid bitch refused to see the bigger picture. Refused to see how much Tyrion loved her, and wanted only her safety. Now look at her, reppin for Queen Bitch whether she chose to or not. I hope Jamie fights for his brother. He was the only one there that was on his side.

Dany girl sometimes it's good to heed the words of your advisers. She's young though, and her heart is in the right place. Stannis would have probably done worse in the name of justice. Who said being a queen was going to be easy. At least she genuinely cares about her people, and the more she's willing to reflect on why certain choices might not be the right ones to make although they might be what's just, the more she'll grow to be a truly remarkable leader.

So it seems like the most boring man in Weteros has found himself a sugar daddy. I hope this move to get in bed with the Iron Bank comes back to bite Stannis in his lame, unkingly ass.

Prince Obeyrn is nothing but a bad ass. Every little bitch gets up when Tywin enters the small council. Not Prince Oberyn. Dude does not give one fuck about who this old man is, and remains seated with his legs comfortably stretched on the table. The Prince has become one of my favourites, and I think the Dornish might just be the coolest people in Westeros. You think the guys who chased off dragons are going to be afraid of some whiny ass Lannisters? lol

This episode is probably my favourite after episode 2. Nothing is going to eclipse my utmost joy in watching Joffrey die like the little shit stain he is.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Well to be fair it was either kill Bran or have both he, his sister, and all his bastard children die once Robert inevitably learned the truth. As Cercei says to Ned "is there nothing you would not do for your children?"

I think his more worse crime was killing his cousin in the cell to try and escape, that was unnecessary.

Heshinsi

He didn't hit the strip club, he payed the pirate for his services. The pirate happened to be at the strip club/bath house telling off color jokes to hookers.

He also did something no one's ever done and got money from the Iron Bank. Tywin said appealing to the bank like he did was a useless endeavor and yet he did it and succeeded.

All the other surviving rules in the world wish they had people as loyal as Davos is. Stannis has got guys that will do anything for him, by comparison Dany is dealing with mass discontent.

From slavers. The people she's freed and the common folk love her. Let's not confuse the two. Dany is being hated on by the people whose livelihood she destroyed when she freed the slaves and killed the masters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
From slavers. The people she's freed and the common folk love her. Let's not confuse the two. Dany is being hated on by the people whose livelihood she destroyed when she freed the slaves and killed the masters.

She's still got to rule over them. There was no reason for her to crucify all those people except her own sense of justice. She didn't bother listening to her advisers telling her it may cause more problems than it solves. So far she's been a revolutionary, not a leader of men. Hopefully she can grow into the role.

EDIT: Also love isn't loyalty. When she can cut a dude's fingers off and they'll still walk through fire for her then that's loyalty.

Heshinsi

it's all a win win for Tywin too so he'll like it. If Clegane wins then he gets rid of Tyrion, pleases Cersei and legally kills off a dangerous man who hates his house. If Obeyrn wins Clegane is out of the way (who i think he'd been loosing control of), Obeyrn will be grateful for having the chance at vengeance and the Lannister name has a chance to go on

I think a couple of people predicted this exact situation weeks back when Tyrion was first arrested
sneaky book readers I bet :p

And how will Dorne react with an already dead Elia Martell and then a dead Obeyrn Martell? You don't think Dorne would then go fuck it, and throw their full support towards Dany, whom they have familial relations? I don't think the Mountain winnig is all that good for Tywin in the long run, cause I doubt the Dornish hate for the Lannisters ends with the death of Prince Oberyn.

She's still got to rule over them. There was no reason for her to crucify all those people except her own sense of justice. She didn't bother listening to her advisers telling her it may cause more problems than it solves. So far she's been a revolutionary, not a leader of men. Hopefully she can grow into the role.

Yeah I think a lot of that comes from her youth and inexperience. Plus, having been virtually sold off by her brother like a slave, I do get the sense that Dany hates the institution with a righteous fury. But she is a quick learner and fast to adapt to her situations. She wouldn't have survived this long if she didn't have those qualities. To be honest with you, what she did with those masters, I personally feel that a Ned Stark and a Stannis would have done similar. Remember, Ned wanted Jorah's head for selling captured poachers to slavers. What would he do to a bunch of child killing slavers?

And how will Dorne react with an already dead Elia Martell and then a dead Obeyrn Martell? You don't think Dorne would then go fuck it, and throw their full support towards Dany, whom they have familial relations? I don't think the Mountain winnig is all that good for Tywin in the long run, cause I doubt the Dornish hate for the Lannisters ends with the death of Prince Oberyn.

Not sure but wasn't Oberyn
the 2nd prince? Remember that episode where tyrion was waiting for the guest from dorne? He wasn't expecting oberyn to show up.

dabig2

the 2nd prince? Remember that episode where tyrion was waiting for the guest from dorne? He wasn't expecting oberyn to show up.

Oberyn is indeed a 2nd son (ala Bran). I think Tywin or Cersei mention it in a somewhat degrading manner during the wedding episode.

Heshinsi

Yeah he has an older brother. The one with the gout; the rich man's disease as Oberyn called it.

Dorne already hates the Lannisters, and they must also hate everyone who rebelled against the Targaryens considering how close the two families were. They also don't seem to be truly part of the seven kingdoms, as evidenced by Prince Oberyn complete lack of fear and/or concern towards Tywin Lannister. If Prince Oberyn dies at the hands of the same dude that killed Elia Martell, Rhaegar Targaryen's wife, I think shit with Dorne could get ugly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I think a lot of that comes from her youth and inexperience. Plus, having been virtually sold off by her brother like a slave, I do get the sense that Dany hates the institution with a righteous fury. But she is a quick learner and fast to adapt to her situations. She wouldn't have survived this long if she didn't have those qualities. To be honest with you, what she did with those masters, I personally feel that a Ned Stark and a Stannis would have done similar. Remember, Ned wanted Jorah's head for selling captured poachers to slavers. What would he do to a bunch of child killing slavers?

I'm not sure I entirely agree.

Ned Stark could have gone straight to Robert with his knowledge of Cersei and Jamie's relationship and the truth of his kids, but he didn't because the kids did nothing wrong. Looking back it was the wrong move as it led to his death, but he had no desire to punish those who had no hand in the wrong doing. Stannis comes off as the same, otherwise Davos wouldn't follow him like he does.

Dany killed people who weren't involved. She didn't even bother trying to learn if they had anything to do with the crucifixions or not, everyone was equally guilty in her eyes. What she did, she did for herself and not for justice. It was to make her feel better. Ned Stark never would have killed an innocent like that. He'd have killed everyone involved in the crucifixion sure and he'd have done it himself, but he would have given them a proper burial afterwards. Dany had to be asked to do this.

I agree she is still growing as a leader. Right now she needs to learn the true meaning of justice and the place of mercy in it. She needs to grow into more than just a conqueror and I hope she does.

Heshinsi

I'm not sure I entirely agree.

Ned Stark could have gone straight to Robert with his knowledge of Cersei and Jamie's relationship and the truth of his kids, but he didn't because the kids did nothing wrong. Looking back it was the wrong move, but he had no desire to punish those who had no hand in the wrong doing. Stannis comes off as the same, otherwise Davos wouldn't follow him like he does.

Dany killed people who weren't involved. She didn't even bother trying to learn if they had anything to do with the crucifixions or not, everyone was equally guilty in her eyes. What she did, she did for herself and not for justice. It was to make her feel better. Ned Stark never would have killed an innocent like that. He'd have killed everyone involved in the crucifixion sure, but he would have given them a proper burial afterwards. Dany had to be asked to do this.

I agree she is still growing as a leader. Right now she needs to learn the true meaning of justice and the place of mercy in it. She needs to grow into more than just a conqueror and I hope she does.

I don't think the two situations are similar. The guy who approached Dany asking for his father's corpse made it seem like his father was the only master who voted against nailing those kids on those posts. His father than unfortunately becomes a statistical error. Also, comparing a slave owner, regardless of whether he voted for or against what Mereen did, to a bunch of kids isn't a fair comparison. I doubt Ned's heart would bleed for a slaver of any stripe, specially one caught up with the shit Mereen was up to.

But you're right. Dany needs to understand that ruling isn't the same as conquering, and I feel that situations like this are moulding her onto a path to understand that. Unlike say Robert Baratheon who was a formidable conqueror, who then turned into an absolute shit show of a king, she at least is facing a lot of these problems early on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think the two situations are similar. The guy who approached Dany asking for his father's corpse mad it seem like his father was the only master who voted against nailing those kids on those posts. His father than unfortunately becomes a statistical error. Also, comparing a slave owner, regardless of whether he voted for or against what Mereen did, to a bunch of kids isn't a fair comparison. I doubt Ned's heart would bleed for a slaver of any stripe, specially one caught up with the shit Mereen was up to.

An error I doubt Ned would have made. We can't really know what he would have done in that situation, but we do know he doesn't punish the innocent. He also don't know him to punish needlessly. I think he'd have killed those who ordered the deaths and those who carried them out for sure. He doesn't exactly come off as eager to meat out death as some of the other rulers. Other than that we can't say for sure what he'd do. Except that he wouldn't have left them all hanging out there, he'd have let them be buried. I think we can safely say that.

Robert never had the disposition of a king. Well he may have at one point, but grief and the game may have pounded it out of him. Ned would have made a good king though.

Alpende

Liked the episode. Tyrion's speech was amazing, Shae and Varys were obviously pressured in saying those things. Varys wanting to sit on the throne is pretty interesting too. Prince Oberyn is one of my favourite characters, he just doesn't give a fuck. Not standing up when Tywin walks in, feeling at ease at the trial and just sitting and chilling there. Love it.

Can't wait to see Stannis back in action, that's the only dude that can offer some serious resistance apart from Danny.

Nyx

Great episode, the only thing that bothered me is the Yara scene.

As someone else already mentioned, why not knock out Theon and take him with you anyway.
And how did Ramsay survive a fight with 4 Ironborn while not wearing any armor or even a shirt?

Dinklage owned the ep though with the court-scene, holy shit.

Liberty4all

Banned
Forgot to mention: Did anyone found it amusing that just a chapter before, Tywin was telling Cercei that you cannot reason with the Iron Bank, that it has no face, that it's like a temple, etc. and then comes Ser totally-not-Jean-Reno and shows everyone how to make things happen? He even got time to troll his old friend ("..gave the money to your wife.")

Bonus point for seeing Stannis so out of his element. He just sits there like a scolded child.
The red god really does work in mysterious ways.

Stannis will pay them back.

Qvoth

anybody else thinks tyrion's trial farce is just a front for tywin's real plan of making jamie come back as his heir?
at least that was what my brother and i thought of immediately during their conversation, tywin accepting that offer so fast just makes us think it was all his plan in the 1st place

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
anybody else thinks tyrion's trial farce is just a front for tywin's real plan of making jamie come back as his heir?
at least that was what my brother and i thought of immediately during their conversation, tywin accepting that offer so fast just makes us think it was all his plan in the 1st place

Probably. At the very least he saw it as an option should they go ahead with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom