• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

itxaka

Defeatist
did you guys saw already the nice cosplay of Halo3?

It´s fucking incredible. Looks like they could use it for a movie

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11137

1858785566.jpg

4abde3fca4.jpg

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
Pretty soon you'll think games are killing simulators, and you'll be a republican. :(

Also, grey hair at 31? That sucks. Soon enough, you'll take your daughters to their school or soccer game or something and have one of their friends ask you if you're their grandpa. That won't feel good.
I going for the Steve Martin look.

Also, my wife has explicit direction to poison me if I start voting republican, listening to Limbaugh or showing other, less insidious signs of going senile. I don't think those fall under Oregon's Death With Dignity act, but they should.
Voltron64 said:
I have to watch what I eat also or it will catch up to me real quick. I'm noticing my hairline is slightly receding. I'm turning 28 this month. This is depressing. Thanks a lot for reminding me of my fading youth, now I'm depressed.
I'm looking forward to it. I'm actually excited to get grey hair. It's going to be fun being an old fart playing video games. Imagine going on Live and saying, "you just got spanked by grandpa, bitch." Remember that old grandma swearing like mad while she played games? That's me in 20 years. It's going to be awesome.

GhaleonEB

RunWhiteBoyRun said:
Grifball has returned and is up now.
Awesome. Also, bungie.net changed their background away from the sexy Blackout. :(

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=13789

Starting 4 minutes ago (sorry, was in a playtest!), Grifball went live as this weekend's double EXP extraveganza. This time we're using the Spring League map variant and ruleset, which make it harder for jerks to escape the map, and some tweaks to game properties. hammers and hilarity await!

EazyB

Banned
Ugh, I'm kinda gettin tired of grifball. Then again I've played 150+ matches on it so I got my share of good times. It'd be nice if there were multiple maps with some geometry in them. Avalanche has wide open fields that could be easily blocked off. Blackout has that huge space outside of the map that could make for some interesting fields. But eh, whatever, I can't really blame Bungie for putting it up there for the third time, the community seems to love it.

Would like some more variety though.

JdFoX187

Banned
Striker said:
We need to gather up again tonight to play more Ranked BTB.

Maybe Eazy will be betrayed less this time. :(
:| They were all by accident. I didn't mean to do it :lol

EazyB said:
Ugh, I'm kinda gettin tired of grifball. Then again I've played 150+ matches on it so I got my share of good times. It'd be nice if there were multiple maps with some geometry in them. Avalanche has wide open fields that could be easily blocked off. Blackout has that huge space outside of the map that could make for some interesting fields. But eh, whatever, I can't really blame Bungie for putting it up there for the third time, the community seems to love it.

I agree. Griffball is fun in small doses, but it gets monotonous. There needs to be more variety.

TDG

Banned
Good work Ghaleon. But.. what if she becomes a Republican first? Will you have the courage to do what must be done? :O
Sai-kun said:
What happened to Calvin? :(

I'm not old! I just don't like sweets.

....I was the only little kid at every party who never had cake :(
I remember that kind of little kid from my party. He was the one that we only invited because our mom said we had to invite everyone in the class.

As for Calvin, he was my avatar forever, then I switched around for awhile, looking for something new that suited me. I went back to Calvin because I couldn't find anything good, but then, I found Obama Kart. Too good to pass up.

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:

I'm a little surprised that it came back as well, since the Legendary maps were supposed to be featured in the weekend playlists. I'm still hoping for a BTB weekend, with Avalanche heavily in the mix. I've only played one 16-player custom game on it, and it was ridiculously awesome.

I do love me some BTB.

That said, I'll dip my toes in the Griffball waters this weekend, if for a few games. It is a nice change of pace every now and then.

fin

Buddy at work just forwarded this to me:

http://thespaceoddity.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/goodbye-surfer-girl/

Halo 4: What’s Coming.

The rumors floating around the internet about Gearbox developing a new Halo game are absolutely true. Expect to see an official announcement very soon! It’s a prequel, taking place before the original game. Don’t be surprised if this one is called Halo: Forerunner rather than Halo 4.

There was also a Halo RPG in development by a well-known Western RPG house, but I don’t know the current status of that project. Enjoy!

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm a little surprised that it came back as well, since the Legendary maps were supposed to be featured in the weekend playlists. I'm still hoping for a BTB weekend, with Avalanche heavily in the mix. I've only played one 16-player custom game on it, and it was ridiculously awesome.
Yeah, BTB is also my favorite playlist so I'd love to see that kind of double-xp weekend. However, we did get to play a ranked btb game on Avalanche just last night (not sure if it's because we're at a high level or if more people are getting the legendary maps). It was nice to see but unfortunately the game was pretty laggy for me and 3 of their players quit so we never had any epic battles.

Striker

EazyB said:
Yeah, BTB is also my favorite playlist so I'd love to see that kind of double-xp weekend. However, we did get to play a ranked btb game on Avalanche just last night (not sure if it's because we're at a high level or if more people are getting the legendary maps). It was nice to see but unfortunately the game was pretty laggy for me and 3 of their players quit so we never had any epic battles.
The first one I thought was really fun. The other team began to quit after we scored first, though.

I love that map :)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ramirez said:
How's not playing Halo treating you? lolz

Pretty well, actually.

Goin' alright, packing now....should be on tonight or tomorrow for some betrayals....and maybe that damn perfection this time.

Brainboy

So, has anyone pointed out here that this week's Double EXP Weekend is Grifball? I'm about to jump in myself!

EDIT: Checking the last page reveals: yes, yes they have. Oh well, I missed it between the repeated Spartan armour pictures. :/

Shishka

Works for Bungie
GhaleonEB said:
WHAT!?!?

SLDKFJ SDKLF SDIE23IC#$$@#$#ads

Edit: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=496571073&player=Slightly Dark

"2 Flag Heavy"

Shiska. Details. Please. :D

2 Flag CTF with lots and lots of vehicles on (relatively) short respawn timers. Uses forged map variants to provide infantry cover for the vehicular insanity as well as teleporters to so people don't have to hole up in a base to wait for something to spawn. Rockets, lasers, and missle pods galore.

It's sorta like I figured out what would harm performance on Valhalla and Avalanche, and then backed up a step or two.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Shishka said:
2 Flag CTF with lots and lots of vehicles on (relatively) short respawn timers. Uses forged map variants to provide infantry cover for the vehicular insanity as well as teleporters to so people don't have to hole up in a base to wait for something to spawn. Rockets, lasers, and missle pods galore.

So, is it primarily a community-made map, then? Bungie took the idea of "oil gulch" or whatever, and ran with it?

Or was it developed on it's own?

GhaleonEB

Shishka said:

It's sorta like I figured out what would harm performance on Valhalla and Avalanche, and then backed up a step or two.
1) I love you. That sounds like a map made just for me.

2) Any way you could make note of this (and any other changes) on bungie.net? I'm sure a lot of folks would love to learn about this. I'll be in ranked BTB tonight, that's for sure.

soldat7

Shishka said:

Holy crap I'm gonna play this.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Metroidvania said:
So, is it primarily a community-made map, then? Or Bungie took the idea of "oil gulch" or whatever, and ran with it?

I actually haven't played Oil Gultch. I was just sorta thinking to myself that we never use the Scorpion in matchmaking. We tend to avoid it because it's a ridiculous beast. However, it's a FUN ridiculous beast. I figure the best way to integrate it is in an equally ridiculous gametype.

Valhalla Heavy, Avalanche Heavy, and Standoff Heavy are all my twisted design. There are no scorpions in the Standoff Forge palette, so I used Gauss Hogs instead. I sorta snuck the gametype in with some fixes we did mid-month that we don't normally call out (hence the lack of any announcement).

Nutter

Shishka said:
I actually haven't played Oil Gultch. I was just sorta thinking to myself that we never use the Scorpion in matchmaking. We tend to avoid it because it's a ridiculous beast. However, it's a FUN ridiculous beast. I figure the best way to integrate it is in an equally ridiculous gametype.

Valhalla Heavy, Avalanche Heavy, and Standoff Heavy are all my twisted design. There are no scorpions in the Standoff Forge palette, so I used Gauss Hogs instead. I sorta snuck the gametype in with some fixes we did mid-month that we don't normally call out (hence the lack of any announcement).
Yeah we noticed the additions of SWAT varients for Ghost Town, Blackout. :)

GhaleonEB

Shishka said:

You just made my day. And it's been a crappy day so far.

Final backseat quarterback: I really suggest you announce those. Even just a little news post saying Heavy variants are in BTB. People will want to know. And thanks for adding these. This is *exactly* what I was asking for just a few weeks ago - new map variants in existing playlists to freshen things up. :D

Shishka said:

Would those fixes have anything to do with the fairly strange spawns ive been getting on The Pit in the MLG playlist? Its as if the bases dont exist anymore and you just spawn as far from the enemy as possible, even if that means on their flag :/

Shishka

Works for Bungie
GhaleonEB said:
You just made my day. And it's been a crappy day so far.

Final backseat quarterback: I really suggest you announce those. Even just a little news post saying Heavy variants are in BTB. People will want to know. And thanks for adding these. This is *exactly* what I was asking for just a few weeks ago - new map variants in existing playlists to freshen things up. :D

Mid-month changes are not something we like to do. It takes a lot of scrambling to pull stuff together like that. If I announced when we did them, people would start to expect them, or start expecting them to be as large as the monthly update.

BladedExpert said:
Would those fixes have anything to do with the fairly strange spawns ive been getting on The Pit in the MLG playlist? Its as if the bases dont exist anymore and you just spawn as far from the enemy as possible, even if that means on their flag :/

Yeah. The MLG sent us some updated versions of their map variants to make use of some stuff we did to block off map exploits (like that under-the-ramp thing that was so popular in last month's infection playlist). Unfortunately, something happened that resulted in the respawn zones being removed from the CTF mode of the map variant. Without their influence, you end up spawning pretty much anywhere that hasn't been negatively influenced, including your opponents flag base.

Unfortunately, there's no way to easily hotfix it. For now, at the MLG's request, we've reduced The PIT CTF's weighting to 0, so it won't be showing up in Matchmaking until the first of June.

MrDaravon

Shishka said:

Gauss Warthogs YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

GhaleonEB

Shishka said:
Mid-month changes are not something we like to do. It takes a lot of scrambling to pull stuff together like that. If I announced when we did them, people would start to expect them, or start expecting them to be as large as the monthly update.
Right, but as long as you are doing one, doesn't it make sense to announce it to the community? :p

Oh wait. You just did. Right here. Nevermind!

Shishka

Works for Bungie
GhaleonEB said:
Right, but as long as you are doing one, doesn't it make sense to announce it to the community? :p

Oh wait. You just did. Right here. Nevermind!

Sorta. I mean, I have no problem being transparent about it. However, announcing it is the difference between bursts of angry notes in my inbox about X gametype not having its own dedicated playlist being every two weeks instead of four. =P

What is certainly true, though, is that the first of the month updates need more than a mention in a Weekly Update and some speculation on my part in the Podcast. We're working on that.

Shishka said:
Yeah. The MLG sent us some updated versions of their map variants to make use of some stuff we did to block off map exploits (like that under-the-ramp thing that was so popular in last month's infection playlist). Unfortunately, something happened that resulted in the respawn zones being removed from the CTF mode of the map variant. Without their influence, you end up spawning pretty much anywhere that hasn't been negatively influenced, including your opponents flag base.

Unfortunately, there's no way to easily hotfix it. For now, at the MLG's request, we've reduced The PIT CTF's weighting to 0, so it won't be showing up in Matchmaking until the first of June.

Good. I thought maybe i was losing the plot for a while today. actually I havnt seen it come up for the last couple of hours....that'll be why :lol

TDG

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Gauss Warthogs YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
OH SHIT.

*sets Lost and The Office to tape, prepares to spend the rest of the day playing Halo 3*

Shishka said:
What is certainly true, though, is that the first of the month updates need more than a mention in a Weekly Update and some speculation on my part in the Podcast. We're working on that.
:D

GhaleonEB

Shishka said:
Sorta. I mean, I have no problem being transparent about it. However, announcing it is the difference between bursts of angry notes in my inbox about X gametype not having its own dedicated playlist being every two weeks instead of four. =P

:)

EazyB

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
All choppers should be removed from matchmaking just so easy can't go around splattering everyone.
You're an evil man.

And Shiska (or anyone else that may know), are the heavy gametypes in social BTB as well as ranked? It'd be a shame if I rarely got to play them because RBTB is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom