• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: XB1 Kinect won't cost $100,400$ XB1 revealed early because E3 will focus on games

You're pretty much crazy if you don't think that a Kinect-free SKU has been on the table since at least last years E3.

Then why were they constantly saying how it was integral to the experience and it would never happen? The cognitive dissonance is apparent in their statements.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This will all be kinda hilarious when Microsoft spends a couple of minutes anyways talking about the new price "available today!".

true. I still expect them to talk about how they are listening to the consumer, and point out that effective immediately the price is cut and you can access a great range of apps without needing Xbox live gold. The timing of the price cut and the whole 'listening' spiel is too good to leave hanging.

Still curious what they'll have to show. They dug deep last year, showing things further out than Sony - 2015 titles at e3 2013. So if they feel they need to show new things,are they going to need to tease with 2016 stuff? I think I'd rather hear things closer in

Toki767

My thought on why they announced this so early is so by the time their E3 conference takes place, they can say something like "Get the Xbox One. Available now for $399." It's basically the Apple strategy, except they're being friendlier in announcing it to anyone who bothers reading websites and stuff a month in advance.

Still curious what they'll have to show. They dug deep last year, showing things further out than Sony - 2015 titles at e3 2013. So if they feel they need to show new things,are they going to need to tease with 2016 stuff? I think I'd rather hear things closer in
If you trust his leaks, ntkrnl said the new Crackdown is 2016, and that's something I could see being mentioned to build hype. The dev time for the new Gears points to a 2016 release as well, and just maybe they'd have a CG teaser. Apart from those, I think they'll stick with 2014 and 2105 games. There's plenty that's been leaked, hinted, is known, or makes sense. I'd envision something along these lines:

Sunset Overdrive
Forza Horizon 2
Halo 2 Anniversary
Below
D4
Battlefield SWAT
COD:AW

unannounced Kinect title
several unannounced indies

Quantum Break
Halo 5
Fable Legends
Star Wars Battlefront
Witcher 3

Platinum project
unannounced 3rd-party exclusive
several unannounced indies

Crackdown
Gears
teaser

That'd be a jam-packed show, and mostly coming in the next 18 months.

T.O.P

Banned
E3 2013 was great fun and they delivered big time on games

I have HUGE expectation for this year, can't freakin wait

I'm sure that Phil is going to try to make E3 all about games. Looking forward to it. I think the main reason they didn't announce this stuff at E3 though is because it's not the type of stuff that will garner applause. I mean, if they announced the price point, games with gold, and the gold wall stuff; they would just be announcing things already done by Sony.

Still, it's appreciated and a step in the right direction. I don't know who would applaud for a device becoming at par with it's competitor though. I'm sure the guys at Xbox want it to turn around, and word of mouth goes a long way. There's been enough exciting rumors going around, so here's to hoping that their E3 has some stellar surprises though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D0_Cj1xxDo[

Occam

"We announced it now because we decided to do it yesterday, it will take at least 4 weeks just to get the units on shelves, and we didn't believe we could keep on a lid on this because we've never been able to before so why lie to ourselves now."

--Microsoft

Hahahaha! Thanks for that.

Yokai

Then why were they constantly saying how it was integral to the experience and it would never happen? The cognitive dissonance is apparent in their statements.

Otherwise, how would they sell the Xbox Ones they knew were going to be on the market come last Christmas?

From a production standpoint, it would be crazy for them to remove the Kinect before Christmas after last years E3. They had to release with the Kinect, so a Kinectless SKU would have to be released later.

It would have been impossible to sell any Xbox Ones if they said "Oh yeah, we'll make a Kinect-less package later at a lower price. But please, buy one before then!"

It's not a dissonance. It's called not revealing your 'Plan B' to the public because you don't want to damage 'Plan A'.

How many times have you heard Companies say 'We're not planning a pricedrop' right before it happens? Answer: every time

rokkerkory

The thing that has me scratching my head today is the number of people saying that the fact that MS can change their console in most of the ways that everybody wanted to make it competitive...is a bad thing that makes people wary of them?

What now?

Yep all those ppl saying they'll jump as soon as there is no kinect better put their $ where their mouth is.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Say nothing about it.

"We want to annouce a new, Kinect-less Xbox One, based on fan feedback." That's it. No, "Its been the idea all along" BS. Play off the "fast turnaround on changes proposed by fan feedback" instead of this.

Fair enough.

They must have a cracking E3 line up if they getting this out of the way now.

Fingers crossed for Eden Falls, Crackdown: Skyline, Rugpuddle and Horizon 2.

ekim

BnlV9KcIQAEfOTk.jpg

oO Well that's one bait. Print seems desperate.

samar11

This is going to make May and first half of June make xbox-one sales look terrible. Why not wait until e3 to announce it. They are losing a ton of sales by announcing it today.

driver116

Just hope that Rare have moved on from Kinect and have something to show.

If this is the case, ie a new HQ BK, PDZ, or anything core, I think MS pretty much has a console sold to me as opposed to me playing my girlfriends brothers. Seriously just fuck Kinect.

And BTW I hope they don't just cram Halo and Gears at e3, I want new core IP and plenty of it. MS you have my attention.

JayLee

Banned
They can say it all they want. Actions do more for me and them backtracking on their past statements like "Kinect won't ever be unbundled" is what gives me pause.

I think Spencer is a great figurehead and is doing what he can, but it still doesn't mean people can't have concern about whether it will be delivered upon, especially considering all of the 180's (good and bad) with this system.

Thanks for slight jab at the end there too. Very necessary.
You've got to understand that statements like that were made when old management was in-place at the company. You obviously can tell how much it must of been an internal cluster-fuck last year with the reveal they had. It's very obvious why Don has left and I like the things they're doing to try and rectify it.

Just makes me wonder what the console would of been like if Phil was in-charge since the start.

I like how the OP "forgot" the space in the title, so it looks like $100,400 (one-hundred thousand, four-hundred US dollars)...lol

pelican

So far I think Phil Spencer is off to a positive start with the XO.

I've been saying it for a while but I expect them to be fairly aggressive at E3 with games and announcements.

Then why were they constantly saying how it was integral to the experience and it would never happen?

Because MS was full of shit and wanted people to buy their product at $500? First they said the always online and now this. Xbone has been rolled back so much that it barely resembles to what MS envisioned in the first place. What a mess.

Burger

I bet there were no decent Kinect games to show at E3, and people would have seriously questioned the value of the device.

"We announced it now because we decided to do it yesterday, it will take at least 4 weeks just to get the units on shelves, and we didn't believe we could keep on a lid on this because we've never been able to before so why lie to ourselves now."

--Microsoft

Quite possible, though yesterday likely being a week or two ago. Anyway, I think is kind of makes sense, because it may even be ready for E3 and they probably expect to get some impetus when they reveal stuff like Halo 5.

Orayn

So they're slowly dropping TV TV TV SPORTS TV TV TV too along with kinect?

God, I really hope so. It seems like every year since 2010 has had an overly long block devoted to media stuff to make sure everyone knows that Xbox now supports ESPNFacebookNFLSeasonPassNASCARNetflixpleasekillmeHBOGoDVRSnapSkypeInternetExplorerZuneMusic.

I'm not against those apps and features in any way, but Microsoft has horrible priorities when it comes to making the announcements.

Surely they could've announced it at E3, it only takes like half a minute in a 90 minute conference. It was a bad idea, people will wait now and May is not even halfway done.

Hydrargyrus

If they won't announce that during the E3 is for:

1) The April NPD numbers are going to be disastrous for XO
2) This is not a price decrease. Is removing something in order to be able to sold it cheaper.
3) That is nothing to be proud of. Is a necessity measure. One more in a pretty short lapse of time.

And, as someone said before, with a good E3 and the new sku they could win June NPD and use that as PR.

They would need less than 2 minutes to announce that. That's not for time...

Like I get it but it really take 3 minutes to say xbox is now $100 off and it doesn't distract from games message at all so can we just move on already. price drops have been announced at e3 since time immemorial and it really isn't a big deal. i don't understand why this needs to be positioned. this strikes me as 250% message board fodder.

I don't think they want to deal with a crowd cheering over the fact that they don't have to buy their camera to get their system anymore.

I don't think they want to deal with a crowd cheering over the fact that they don't have to buy their camera to get their system anymore.

I think they'd be fine with a crowd cheering at that, considering the angle they're using with this announcement is pro-choice/pro-consumer and listening to feedback.

LAA

I guess in that case it'll be $99, ;)

No doubt they'll probably screw the UK price anyway. UK prices are increasingly starting to be the same as it in the US. (e.g. Games being sold for £55 here, I hear its $60 in the US).

Surely they could've announced it at E3, it only takes like half a minute in a 90 minute conference. It was a bad idea, people will wait now and May is not even halfway done.

This is how it's typically done though. Nintendo, when they lowered the price of the Wii U, it was not immediate. They announced it a month early. It's common.

Top Bottom