• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mountain will probably fall. Let's be honest, there's not a lot you can do with a character like that, this is really the obvious conclusion of his tenure on the show. Oberon has a lot more going for him.

Agreed. The Mountain is pretty one dimensional and just a mindless henchman. The only point in keeping him alive is for a confrontation between the brothers, but I feel that wouldn't live up to the hype (and no way The Hound could beat the Mountain).

Nameless

I'd put nothing past GRRM at this point. It wouldn't be that surprising if by the end of the series the Starks and Lannisters were down only to one or two broken people each.

Whatever happens you can be sure that the One True King in the North Rickon will be among the last men standing.

MfOH2.gif

Great episode.

Did Daario actually fuck Dany? I'm not convinced he did.

Yeah I'm not sure about this either. A TV hookup that implies sex usually ends with the people starting to strip before the camera pans to an open window or something. All we saw was Daario taking his clothes off, maybe Dany just wanted to tease him and said something like "I'll take off my clothes... if you take back Yunkai with the Second Sons."

And a GoT hookup basically shows people fucking lol. So I'm not sure they did and maybe D-Dog was just pretending to brag to Friendzone.

Agreed. The Mountain is pretty one dimensional and just a mindless henchman. The only point in keeping him alive is for a confrontation between the brothers, but I feel that wouldn't live up to the hype (and no way The Hound could beat the Mountain).

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Hound vs Mountain angle. Eh, doesn't really seem like the show to go out of its way to create epic confrontations like that. Hound will likely learn about Gregor's possible death the same way they just learnt about Joffrey's.

I'd put nothing past GRRM at this point. It wouldn't be that surprising if by the end of the series the Starks and Lannisters were down only to one or two broken people each.

Whatever happens you can be sure that the One True King in the North Rickon will be among the last men standing.

MfOH2.gif

lol the Hand pin on Shaggydog

RELIGHT

Banned
I must say Oberyn is by far the most interesting character this season and I think he is becoming my most favorite character next to Tyrion, which is ironic i suppose since he hates Lannisters lol. I know it's cliche to say but he's so badass but I feel like he's earned it since his first scene. Can't wait for the trial by combat between him and the Mountain. The Mountain is the obvious favorite here but I think Oby will have some tricks up his sleeve. I mean they've really built him up in the show so my money is on him for the upset.

I can just imagine the look on Cersei and Tywins faces if he wins lol. So what happens if he does win though? Tyrion would just go free right? I feel like Cersei would still try and have him murdered so what then? Oby is on a Lannister killing spree so maybe he'd take care of her and Tywin in some way? But then what about Jaime....I dunno that scenario seems very interesting. Cannot wait for next episode. Oby for Pres!

Chopper

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Hound vs Mountain angle. Eh, doesn't really seem like the show to go out of its way to create epic confrontations like that. Hound will likely learn about Gregor's possible death the same way they just learnt about Joffrey's.
I'd like to think you're right. It's pretty clear that, despite what the audience might consider to be key rivalries and inevitable confrontations, GRRM isn't in the habit of delivering on fantasy justice.

Joffrey's death is a great example of that. I'm a fan of the way he died, but ask a year ago and everyone would tell you that Sansa or Arya would strike the killing blow.

I would like to see Hound vs. Mountain as much as anyone, but at the cost of Oberyn? Oh God, I hope not.

Just caught up with the episode. Whose titty is Robyn gonna have to suck now.

Anyway the biggest move in the episode was Oberyn offering to be the champ. Fuck Bronn. That man whore. I hope he gets what's coming. I know GRRM likes to throw curveballs, so people are probably expecting Oberyn to die because nothing is all rainbows and unicorns in GRRM's world. I think this is true to a certain extent and bad guys usually do win in Game of Thrones, but Oberyn has been planning to kill Mountain for a looong time. It would be dumb to just die like an idiot.

Either way, I'm expecting Twyin to put a kibosh on the outcome in one way or another.

Fighting someone you're nearly certain to lose to and losing all your wealth, power, and only gaining "good feelings" if you win is the kind of dumb shit a Stark would do.

Chopper

Is the battle confirmed to take place in the next episode? PM me if that's preview spoiler material.

Holy shit, it's gonna be epic. My heart melts at the thought of the millions of people watching it, literally screaming at their television in support of Oberyn. I know our house is gonna be a fucking riot.

Fighting someone you're nearly certain to lose to and losing all your wealth, power, and only gaining "good feelings" if you win is the kind of dumb shit a Stark would do.
How's that stupid? He killed his sister's kids before raping and killing her afterwards with their blood. You must be from House Frey.

I must say Oberyn is by far the most interesting character this season and I think he is becoming my most favorite character next to Tyrion, which is ironic i suppose since he hates Lannisters lol. I know it's cliche to say but he's so badass but I feel like he's earned it since his first scene. Can't wait for the trial by combat between him and the Mountain. The Mountain is the obvious favorite here but I think Oby will have some tricks up his sleeve. I mean they've really built him up in the show so my money is on him for the upset.

I can just imagine the look on Cersei and Tywins faces if he wins lol. So what happens if he does win though? Tyrion would just go free right? I feel like Cersei would still try and have him murdered so what then? Oby is on a Lannister killing spree so maybe he'd take care of her and Tywin in some way? But then what about Jaime....I dunno that scenario seems very interesting. Cannot wait for next episode. Oby for Pres!
I don't know why everyone keeps looking at from this angle only. It's not like Tyrion is going to go about his business without wanting revenge. I'm surprised people think he will leave King's Landing. The way I look at it, he's either going to fuck shit up for revenge or die and we all start throwing shit.

Yeah I'm not sure about this either. A TV hookup that implies sex usually ends with the people starting to strip before the camera pans to an open window or something. All we saw was Daario taking his clothes off, maybe Dany just wanted to tease him and said something like "I'll take off my clothes... if you take back Yunkai with the Second Sons."

And a GoT hookup basically shows people fucking lol. So I'm not sure they did and maybe D-Dog was just pretending to brag to Friendzone.

RELIGHT

Banned
How's that stupid? He killed his sister's kids before raping and killing her afterwards with their blood. You must be from House Frey.

I don't know why everyone keeps looking at from this angle only. It's not like Tyrion is going to go about his business without wanting revenge. I'm surprised people think he will leave King's Landing. The way I look at it, he's either going to fuck shit up for revenge or die and we all start throwing shit.

I think it'd be out of character for Tyrion to try and kill Cersei. It's not like this is the first time she's tried to have him killed. He simply expects it from her and based in the scene with he and Oberyn, he's hurt by the fact that she hates him so much. I mean I agree with you that he wouldn't just go about his business but I also can't see him actively trying to hurt his family. I feel liked he'd have to be forced into it if it came to that. I assume Tywin or Cersei will have some kind of contingency plan though if the mountain loses. Tywin is hell bent on getting Tyrion to the Wall and out of his life but oddly I don't believe he wants him dead.

So, at this point do you all agree that it's the best season yet ?

I mean, there are obviously the last 3 episodes coming which I think will be unbelievable, but if we compare episodes 1-7 to episodes 1-7 from S1-2-3 ?

Acting and writing are still incredible, but I think that they have greatly improved on directing the scenes and the episodes, the art direction is just amazing and the pacing is great, I almost never feel like "this scene is useless/shitty", which I did in previous seasons (especially in Season 3, which I think is the weakest despite the Red Wedding).

Plus, scenes like Joffrey's Wedding and Tyrion Trial are some god-tier material and I don't think there were such things happenning in other seasons before reaching episode 9 climax.

I think it'd be out of character for Tyrion to try and kill Cersei. It's not like this is the first time she's tried to have him killed. He simply expects it from her and based in the scene with he and Oberyn, he's hurt by the fact that she hates him so much. I mean I agree with you that he wouldn't just go about his business but I also can't see him actively trying to hurt his family. I feel liked he'd have to be forced into it if it came to that. I assume Tywin or Cersei will have some kind of contingency plan though if the mountain loses. Tywin is hell bent on getting Tyrion to the Wall and out of his life but oddly I don't believe he wants him dead.
You could definitely be right. If not death, then do something bad to them at least. I just don't see him not rebutting back against them after he's out
unless he dies :'(

Blader

Emilia Clarke won't do nude scenes anymore though, right? So maybe they didn't writing the scene since she's not going to film it.

Kozak

Banned
So, at this point do you all agree that it's the best season yet ?

I mean, there are obviously the last 3 episodes coming which I think will be unbelievable, but if we compare episodes 1-7 to episodes 1-7 from S1-2-3 ?

Acting and writing are still incredible, but I think that they have greatly improved on directing the scenes and the episodes, the art direction is just amazing and the pacing is great, I almost never feel like "this scene is useless/shitty", which I did in previous seasons (especially in Season 3, which I think is the weakest despite the Red Wedding).

Plus, scenes like Joffrey's Wedding and Tyrion Trial are some god-tier material and I don't think there were such things happenning in other seasons before reaching episode 9 climax.

No.

Its been a season that they've obviously tried to drag on..

I feel Tyrions trial could have happened earlier.

edit:

Season 2 was the best. Stannis the Mannis. Wildfire. Mance Rayder. Red Wedding.

That season had it all.

The Hound seemed pretty casual when they were fighting in season one. The Mountain was legit trying to kill him and the Hound just parried everything and didn't even try to go on the offensive, then managed to make even kneeling to the king a boss-like move with his total disdain for the Mountain.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I told my girlfriend that Dany's dress (post bang) had a boob window and the only point to it was to show boobs. I stand by this judgement (and enjoy boob windows).

Skunkers

As much as I'd like Robyn to die next, I think the little shit is protected by logic armor for the time being. I mean you can't just show up out of nowhere, marry the Queen Reagent of the Vale out of the blue the same day, and then have the people/guards of the Vale find the corpses of both her and the king of the Vale suspiciously under the Moon Window a few days later. It'll be hard enough to explain how she wound up there without people asking questions. I think Baelish is gonna continue playing the long game, use Robyn as a puppet for some time until he needs to be eliminated.

Regarding Oberyn/Mountain, something tells me Oberyn will die; either defeated by the Mountain due to some foul plot by Tywin/Cersei or winning the fight but being offed afterward for thwarting Tywin's plans.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I think the game is done been played for Little Finger. He's lost his mind, showed his ass and it's just a matter of time before he gets waxed. He killed the prince, fled and then killed a queen with what to back him?

rando14

I think the game is done been played for Little Finger. He's lost his mind, showed his ass and it's just a matter of time before he gets waxed. He killed the prince, fled and then killed a queen with what to back him?

Prince? Queen? What are you talking about lol

"Jorah Fedora" LOL. Great name for Mr Friendzoned.

Good episode. That scene with Oberyn and Tyrion was great. Made you really feel bad for all the shit Tyrion had to endure right from the moment of his birth.

My gut tells me Oberyn is going to lose only because the "bad" guys have been "losing" so far and GRRM doesnt seem like the type of guy to keep that up. I hope I'm wrong. I dont really know why else The Mountain would live, dude really serves no purpose in the story other than killing guys.

Really wasnt expecting Baelish to
send Lysa flying this episode
. Thought it would be at least next season or something.

He'll have to defeat Emperor Robin to claim the throne for himself.

haha

There is some confusion over the titles in the show though.

Ned Stark is ruler of the north (not sure if he was called king of the north), Rob called himself King of the North, yet Sansa has always been called Lady Sansa and never Princess Sansa.

There are seven kingdoms in Westeros but with one king over all of them???? Doesnt that mean there is only one kingdom, so the others aren't kingdoms, so why is Oberyon called Prince Oberyon???

Looking forward to the showdown between Oberyon and The Mountain.

I suspect Oberyon will be too quick for The Mountain and given his name of viper and what others have said in this thread, he will poisin The Mountain during the fight.

haha

There is some confusion over the titles in the show though.

Ned Stark is ruler of the north (not sure if he was called king of the north), Rob called himself King of the North, yet Sansa has always been called Lady Sansa and never Princess Sansa.

There are seven kingdoms in Westeros but with one king over all of them???? Doesnt that mean there is only one kingdom, so the others aren't kingdoms, so why is Oberyon called Prince Oberyon???

Looking forward to the showdown between Oberyon and The Mountain.

I suspect Oberyon will be too quick for The Mountain and given his name of viper and what others have said in this thread, he will poisin The Mountain during the fight.

It's the "seven kingdoms" cause they were independent countries before the original targaryens conquered them and united them.

Dorne gets to have a prince bc they actually weren't conquered and were brought into the kingdom by marriage.

"King in the north" was a sign of rebellion. Ned didn't use it.

It's the "seven kingdoms" cause they were independent countries before the original targaryens conquered them and united them.

Dorne gets to have a prince bc they actually weren't conquered and were brought into the kingdom by marriage.

"King in the north" was a sign of rebellion. Ned didn't use it.

sorry just re-read your explanation.

The TV show doesnt ever say anything about why Dorn has a Prince though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom