• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 26-June 1 | Thank you, Keits

Despite being a joke it'd never happen since NRS is owned by WB whom owns DC. Now, if they WERE to contract NRS then it'd mean they're willing to work together and we could see DC vs. Marvel fighter.....

Really want this to happen now.
lego_marvel_super_heroes_raw.jpg

I think it's more likely than it seems.

To be fair, Eventhubs does have the Persona 4 Arena results, which was a side tournament and which didn't have brackets online as far as I know.

With the pile of brackets laid out in front of me? Yeah.

lol i was the one that walked past in the morning today when you were sitting on the steps. needed a trashcan lol

I wouldn't mistake WB/Marvel's willingness to come together to sell shit to kids as a sign that Mahvel is anything but dead.

edit: as a franchise, like

casperOne

Catching up on the weekend. Hope everyone enjoyed Memorial Day (those who celebrated).

Was able to see some of UFGTX, the UMvC3 tourney (so much fun), some of the Mugen tourney as well.

Also very pleased with the Combo Breaker announcement
like, duh
. Congrats and thanks to Adam for everything he's done all these years, and best wishes to Rick in the upcoming years.

I may or may not subsequently complain about Deejay nerfs in an online forum.

You and Blackoule (sp) have a lot of catching up to do.

Great title. That cross over ex tiger knee from Ryan against krone was super dirty. I'm gonna have to watch the match again and learn that set up.

Oh God, he got that against someone? I don't see it often, but it's so, so dirty.

My old match analysis videos of AE2012 is basically stuff I used to do in private. Basically hitbox data/training mode/whiteboard to help you understand spacing and how moves interact. Also being able to understand the key points to turn around a match, also too important

I love the breakdown of top tournament matches for Injustice and other games. I really wish you had the time/resources to do more of these, they were amazingly insightful and definitely the kind of high qaulity stuff that the FGC needs right now.

Has Europe even had a player in top 8 at Evo in SF4 ever?

No, but I wouldn't hold that against them. The only reason that the US was so prevalent in top 8 for so many years is because Evo is held on U.S. soil and not as many Japanese/international players weren't travelling as much as they are now (of course there were regulars that flew here for a long time).

Any big events this week? Unfortunately I had to make the OT quickly again when I was away from home, didn't get time to check SRK and whatnot.

Nope, not that I can tell.

OMG yes. Love me some RR play. Get caught by the log.

Tik-Tok

I have another project for you Casper.

It's a combo creator app.
Make an app/page where I can click a character, click on one of there moves, then be given a choice of all the moves I can link in to from that move based on the frame data (hit stun / startup) or cancel that move in to. The options would continue to branch until you're out of options.

All the while the damage/stun values are displayed for that combo based on damage scaling etc.

Edit: Because some of the combos would work in theory but wouldn't work in practice due to things like distance and hit boxes, what you could do is allow people to submit videos of themselves completing that combo as an way of helping show people whether it's practical or not.

de1irium

Make an app/page where I can click a character, click on one of there moves, then be given a choice of all the moves I can link in to from that move based on the frame data (hit stun / startup) or cancel that move in to. The options would continue to branch until you're out of options.

All the while the damage/stun values are displayed for that combo based on damage scaling etc.

Keep in mind that spacing is a very important factor in what links ... there's plenty of stuff that should work on paper, but doesn't in practice. Some combos are character specific. Combos that involve juggles are almost impossible to do via frame data. Training mode is still the best app out there.

Tik-Tok

Keep in mind that spacing is a very important factor in what links ... there's plenty of stuff that should work on paper, but doesn't in practice. Training mode is still the best app out there.

Yeah I edited my posted with an idea to help with this.

CurlyW

Didn't get a chance to post these during the weekend, but these are the total entrant numbers:

SSF4: 295
USF4: 218
UMvC3: 196
MvCX: 128
MYST: 128
PM: 126
BB: 125
INJ: 109
DK: 92
KoF13: 81
Melee: 79
GG: 73
TTT2: 73
SG: 63
KI: 62
SFxT: 47
MK9: 37
SC5: 29
VS: 29

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Keep in mind that spacing is a very important factor in what links ... there's plenty of stuff that should work on paper, but doesn't in practice. Some combos are character specific. Combos that involve juggles are almost impossible to do via frame data. Training mode is still the best app out there.
Sometimes the frame data is wrong too!

casperOne

Edit: Because some of the combos would work in theory but wouldn't work in practice due to things like distance and hit boxes, what you could do is allow people to submit videos of themselves completing that combo as an way of helping show people whether it's practical or not.

I actually had a database for this when Vanilla SF came out. Never published it, but it definitely laid all of that out.

It also told you everything that was punishable on hit/block, etc.

Also, as you and de1irium have pointed out, spacing plays an important part and at some point pushback/character-specific idiosyncrasies come into play.

That, and the last project GAF assigned to me has turned into a full-blown endeavour. That said, now that most of the CEO activation work is done, I can concentrate on that full-time until I get most of the infrastructure in place.

If I get to this, it would be somewhere around end of third/beginning of fourth quarter 2014 (and might be very raw initially).

Tik-Tok

I actually had a database for this when Vanilla SF came out. Never published it, but it definitely laid all of that out.

It also told you everything that was punishable on hit/block, etc.

Also, as you and de1irium have pointed out, spacing plays an important part and at some point pushback/character-specific idiosyncrasies come into play.

That, and the last project GAF assigned to me has turned into a full-blown endeavour. That said, now that most of the CEO activation work is done, I can concentrate on that full-time until I get most of the infrastructure in place.

If I get to this, it would be somewhere around end of third/beginning of fourth quarter 2014 (and might be very raw initially).

I assigned the last project to you as well. I'll continue to assign you projects as I see fit. You're on MY payroll afterall

Kumubou

What's the current record?
Are we talking pre or post-2009? Pre-2009 I know that DoA4 and VF5 at Evo had some really low turnout numbers -- VF5 was really low, sub-50 iirc. (I remember VF5 at Evo 2007 was out-drawn by the GGAC and MBAC side tournaments). I don't think there's been anything below 200 since 2011 though, and I think KI can beat that.

Busaiku

What's the current record?

I think Mr. Wizard said that BlazBlue Continuum Shift II, which was at like 180 or something, had fewer entrants than Melty Blood. But I'm not sure about that (having fewer entrants than Melty Blood).
I guess everything before 2009 would have lower numbers though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Speaking of computer assistance, that combo trainer for the PC version is actually a fairly great input macro system. You can use it to probe stuff on a frame by frame basis by setting exactly what input is done when in a sequence.

Used it to check out the pecularities of Chun-Li's super, who depending on where you look is 2f or 1f for a specific version, but when it comes to the +2 after mk sbk, ALL versions can hit on a two frame window. Just to sanity check, I tried doing a jab and it wouldn't link.

Also, lk sbk has been listed as +1 for years, but super cannot be linked with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People who think another MvC is impossible or heavily unlikely are the same people who say Marvel is dead @ 200 entrants. Like, the same flawed logic and same people too. MvC even falls in line with Disney's new licensing goals. It's hard to even argue at this point, people are just projecting their dismay of the current state of the UMvC3 metagame onto everything afterwards. Hell, even UMvC3 was pretty much a knockout for what it is was and people still think it sold poorly.

Azure J

Project M popularity probably has a lot to do with folks who drifted from Smash after vBrawl coming back and finding that it's well done/professional as fuck for a mod and appreciating the roster diversity/tweaks to old veterans and the Brawl newbies.

It's their marvel patch

#dead

Edit: Ultimate sold like a mil which was half of vanilla's sales, correct?

kirblar

People who think another MvC is impossible or heavily unlikely are the same people who say Marvel is dead @ 200 entrants. Like, the same flawed logic and same people too. MvC even falls in line with Disney's new licensing goals. It's hard to even argue at this point, people are just projecting their dismay of the current state of the UMvC3 metagame onto everything afterwards. Hell, even UMvC3 was pretty much a knockout for what it is was and people still think it sold poorly.
I read into it only because MarkMan's one of the guys who'd need to know in advance what's going on in order to get licensing deals in place.

Uncle AJ

Didn't get a chance to post these during the weekend, but these are the total entrant numbers:

SSF4: 295
USF4: 218
UMvC3: 196
MvCX: 128
MYST: 128
PM: 126
BB: 125
INJ: 109
DK: 92
KoF13: 81
Melee: 79
GG: 73
TTT2: 73
SG: 63
KI: 62
SFxT: 47
MK9: 37
SC5: 29
VS: 29

Also P4A had 41

Speaking of computer assistance, that combo trainer for the PC version is actually a fairly great input macro system. You can use it to probe stuff on a frame by frame basis by setting exactly what input is done when in a sequence.

Used it to check out the pecularities of Chun-Li's super, who depending on where you look is 2f or 1f for a specific version, but when it comes to the +2 after mk sbk, ALL versions can hit on a two frame window. Just to sanity check, I tried doing a jab and it wouldn't link.

Also, lk sbk has been listed as +1 for years, but super cannot be linked with it.

SRK wiki says Chun-LI's super start up is 1+1, which means it have 1 frame of super freeze and 1 frame of start up making it a 2f super.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I read into it only because MarkMan's one of the guys who'd need to know in advance what's going on in order to get licensing deals in place.
He said probably. If you really wanted to take anything out of that tweet (which you absolutely shouldn't), it should give you MORE confidence that a patch is possible.

Plus we're not talking about a patch, we're talking about a future title. It's no secret that Marvel is getting pickier with their licensing, and Capcom no longer has the license. That is clear cut; there is no debate, and it is damn near impossible for an MvC3 update at the moment, but using the current state of affairs to predict a title that would probably release 4+ years from now at it's earliest does not make any sense.

kirblar

He said probably. If you really wanted to take anything out of that tweet (which you absolutely shouldn't), it should give you MORE confidence that a patch is possible.

Plus we're not talking about a patch, we're talking about a future title. It's no secret that Marvel is getting pickier with their licensing, and Capcom no longer has the license. That is clear cut; there is no debate, and it is damn near impossible for an MvC3 update at the moment, but using the current state of affairs to predict a title that would probably release 4+ years from now at it's earliest does not make any sense.
Oh, Enzo. :(

Top Bottom