• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Best Friends Play Thread: Liar pies, elusive fart gas, and David Cage rage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just recently finished Peace Walker... Guys, hold me. That story was bad. Really bad. Matt was right. He was so, so right.
I think the paz hate was blown out of proportion. I hardly consider her character the worst part of the game and was weirded out that woolie downright refused to play it just because of her.

The stealth missions and boss fights are the worst in the series though(unless your doing multiplayer, I guess)

Unbanned and ready to catch up on this topic...wait I missed like 30 pages.

Fuck that!

It's best to just ignore those pages happened and act like you were here the whole time. That's how I got over it, then my internet went out for a week and a half, so I had to repeat that process.

I think the paz hate was blown out of proportion. I hardly consider her character the worst part of the game and was weirded out that woolie downright refused to play it just because of her.

The stealth missions and boss fights are the worst in the series though(unless your doing multiplayer, I guess)
It wasn't Paz that caused Woolie to skip PW. It was what they did to The Boss.

I think so, like he was going on about that optional 'date' mission or whatever.
I remember specifically when Woolie was talking about Dio being mentioned in a Jojo manga after part 3, he feared it would be like The Boss in Peace Walker. The fact that you try to do something new with the greatest character ever that doesn't need something new is gross.

"The Boss is in it and it's the worst thing ever,"-Matt.
She's a dumb AI robot

I'm catching up on the podcast and am now on episode 40. Pat starts talking about "theme of rape horse" or something, Matt and Liam start singing Groose's theme, I completely lost it. Tears in my eyes.

Anung

Un Rama
It's best to just ignore those pages happened and act like you were here the whole time. That's how I got over it, then my internet went out for a week and a half, so I had to repeat that process.

Some of the pages I did read I wanted to comment on so bad but I couldn't.

Also that is me now a bona fide Friendcast convert.

Just gave Skull girls the old college try...
Sorry to say, I gotta agree with Pat. It's an okay game, but not doing much for me. It's got a lot of things going for it, but it feels like it's missing something. It's like a much less hype version of P4A, which is what really gets to me.
Plus... it is just a little bit creepy with the animu stuff.

Oh man, I can't wait to hear them talk about Wii-U sales going up 600% in the UK. You know, the place that only plays COD and FIFA games (as said by Pat).

Sorry to say, I gotta agree with Pat. It's an okay game, but not doing much for me. It's got a lot of things going for it, but it feels like it's missing something. It's like a much less hype version of P4A, which is what really gets to me.

I like Skullgirls. Very noob friendly combo system and simple mechanics. I don't play much anymore but I will get back into it once the new characters are released.

I don't think it's very anime at all but yeah I can understand why you find the designs creepy

It felt like a really slow, baby version of BlazBlue to me. Not my type of game. Also not a huge fan of the aesthetic, though I acknowledge the quality.

Goddamn it, I feel really bad for listening to this last week's podcast because of the Transistor spoiler. I didn't mind Pat's description of the gameplay mechanics at all, but that unintentional final boss spoiler from Liam really fucked me up, because I know I'm going to keep thinking about that specific detail while playing the game. Worst thing is that I didn't even notice that small detail at first (because I was multitasking) until Woolie fucking pointed it out.
I'm probably not going to play the game now until I forget about that fact. I really don't want to be thinking about who could and could not be the final boss. I have a massive backlog anyway (Ground Zeroes et cetera), so it's not a problem.

You're being a bit ridiculous considering I was IN the podcast and can't even remember the spoiler detail you're describing.

Oh man, I can't wait to hear them talk about Wii-U sales going up 600% in the UK. You know, the place that only plays COD and FIFA games (as said by Pat).

I like Skullgirls. Very noob friendly combo system and simple mechanics. I don't play much anymore but I will get back into it once the new characters are released.

I don't think it's very anime at all but yeah I can understand why you find the designs creepy

Designs are creepy and the game is a molasses slow version of a gameplay system (Marvel-ish) that I find crazy boring. Shame really.

It felt like a really slow, baby version of BlazBlue to me. Not my type of game. Also not a huge fan of the aesthetic, though I acknowledge the quality.

Something like that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder what tonight's video is gonna be. I need something to save me from this awful Raw. Goddamnit WWE stop being shit.

EDIT: Bo vs Kofi zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I'm gonna go play Dragon's Crown.

Village

Designs are creepy and the game is a molasses slow version of a gameplay system (Marvel-ish) that I find crazy boring. Shame really.

Creepy because of characters like double or creepy because they injected cheese cake into designs that could have been way better with out it, and why can't women wear pants in that game?

if the former... interesting.

If the latter I agree.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man I cannot figure out how to not be shit with the Fighter in Dragon's Crown. I've beaten it twice with Elf and once with Sorceress, but the melee-focused characters...I can't figure 'em out.

What is it that that you find creepy exactly? The extreme cartoony proportions? The large and ..uh ...well animated plot of some of the characters? The liberal amount of panty shots on some of the characters?

*Snip bunch of unrelated stuff*

I've watched the Heavy Rain(I lost it at the future glasses, David Cage Auteur, and JASON running gags), Beyond Two Souls, and now I am watching the RE4 stuff and I can't stop laughing at you guys.

You guys are too fucking funny, and I love what Matt does(the "tho" meme thing) it just cracks me up so much.

Keep playing guys and I'll keep watching!

I do have one question though, do you guys ever explain the whole thing with Wooly and short haired chicks? I remember you guys talking about Wooly at some kind of furrycon or something, but you never finished the story.

Creepy because of characters like double or creepy because they injected cheese cake into designs that could have been way better with out it, and why can't women wear pants in that game?

if the former... interesting.

If the latter I agree.

For anyone who finds your average anime girl creepy, SkullGirls is about as creepy as that.

What is it that that you find creepy exactly? The extreme cartoony proportions? The large and ..uh ...well animated plot of some of the characters? The liberal amount of panty shots on some of the characters?

To be honest, I think it's at the core of being a girls-only fighting game roster in a game you know already is going to be played by over ninety percent men.

Village

For anyone who finds your average anime girl creepy, SkullGirls is about as creepy as that.

I don't find anime girls creepy, but I kind of find it creepy. Not because of like " oh no animu" or whatever. Because it feels like they went out of their way, whether by lack of imagination or vision, to strait up ruin cool character designs, By people who do not understand how sexy works. I don't care about them being sexy, a lot oft them are just bad. And its baffling because every male character they have come up with has a WAY better design put into them because it seems as though sex appeal wasn't the primary objective. And Beowolf doesn't have a damn shirt on! There is a right and wrong way to do that, and skull girls in most cases is the wrong way.

Well they added Big Band so at least it isn't all girls only. There's also Beowulf who is not released yet. Personally, I enjoy Skullsgirls. Its easy to pickup, has a nice artstyle, the character designs are a little weird but still good and has some nice mechanics. My only real issue is that the roster is incredibly small.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't find anime girls creepy, but I kind of find it creepy. Not because of like " oh no animu" or whatever. Because it feels like they went out of their way, whether by lack of imagination or vision, to strait up ruin cool character designs, By people who do not understand how sexy works.

I'm pretty sure "sexy" is subjective.

I don't find anime girls creepy, but I kind of find it creepy. Not because of like " oh no animu" or whatever. Because it feels like they went out of their way, whether by lack of imagination or vision, to strait up ruin cool character designs, By people who do not understand how sexy works. I don't care about them being sexy, a lot oft them are just bad. And its baffling because every male character they have come up with has a WAY better design put into them because it seems as though sex appeal wasn't the primary objective. And Beowolf doesn't have a damn shirt on! There is a right and wrong way to do that, and skull girls in most cases is the wrong way.

I have no problems with my sexy animu bullshit, but there's something inherently unattractive about the style of the art that's better suited to cool characters like Peacock.

Village

I'm pretty sure "sexy" is subjective.

That is true, however I feel ( this is just me ) this is just people who tried to make a thing sexy didn't know how to make a thing sexy and ruined the design of said thing. I don't have this complain with say street fighter or tekken or whatever, they kind of know what they are doing over there. This just seems like lack of imagination.

The character designs look like they are missing parts that would make them whole character designs.

h8F650D4D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Skullgirls is great, and a prime example of a developer that actually cares about its fans. I don't even get the whole issue with problem with cheesecake considering characters like Peacock, Double, Big Band, Squigly, and Painwheel.

They also sped the game up and made a lot of gameplay/system adjustments. It's a legitimate shame that more people don't give it a try because Lab Zero is one of the few developers that won't fuck up the game or nickel and dime you.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
podcast being up this early I was worried they werent going to cover all the wii U stuff(though im guessing from the links provided they didnt catch the big update) but luckily they did.

MormaPope

Banned
When it comes to reflexes becoming slower with age, I personally think experience trumps reflexes any day of the week.

Which is better? A dim witted person with excellent reflexes, meaning they fuck up easy things a lot but sometimes get out of hairy situations, or a experienced person with good reflexes that almost never fucks up, but gets overpowered in hairy situations?

I'd go with the latter.

Skullgirls is great, and a prime example of a developer that actually cares about its fans. I don't even get the whole issue with problem with cheesecake considering characters like Peacock, Double, Big Band, Squigly, and Painwheel.

They also sped the game up and made a lot of gameplay/system adjustments. It's a legitimate shame that more people don't give it a try because Lab Zero is one of the few developers that won't fuck up the game or nickel and dime you.

Amen, Lab Zero is awesome, and I have mad respect for them. Also I hate animu fanservice waifu nonsense, yet I love me some SG.

Anyone that says it's 'too slow' hasn't played it for much, that's for certain.

demidar

You can be both smart and have excellent reflexes you know, it's not one or the other. For those people, it's all downhill after 25. Plus, experience can only get you so far, it means nothing if you can't physically execute on your vast knowledge, not that 99% of games push you that far anyway, it's really only applicable to competitive gaming or input-heavy games like fighting games and character actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom