• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

HnTNeHu.jpg

tumblr_mr8q5sNQh91r9l4bco1_500.png

Syrinx

I kinda like the art style. *shrugs*. Wouldn't really be able to explain why if you asked me though. Theme was kinda bleh though.

MikeMyers

All jokes aside, still waiting for the actual show to start to give it a proper chance.

Designs will take a while to get used to.

Pluto

OMG, a trailer! Lots of stills and space shots, but what I saw in motion looked nice. Usagi's hair is weird though, the way it moved 50 seconds into the trailer was creepy, like it's alive.

I'll repost what I said in the other thread:

Animation looks...better, still not sold on the designs.

I just find it odd that Mamoru and ESPECIALLY Luna have been aren't getting their actors from the original series.

considering, after there was some apparent effort made to get Usagi's actress back.

MikeMyers

Well, like I said in the other thread:

* At the best, we'll have a new classic SM adaptation.

* At the worst, we'll still have the 90s anime to watch.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And the manga, and the live action. Let the new anime be what it wants. I have no real need for it to deliver, but it'll be great if it does!

MikeMyers

Well it'd be a bit weird to word it

"PGSM Usagi is a lot dumber than Anime and Manga Usagi"

to

"PGSM Usagi is a lot dumber than 90s Anime and Manga Minako, but a lot smarter than Crystal Anime Usagi"

(Obviously this version of Usagi will probably be more like the manga version, but you get my point).

MikeMyers

What other series are "Satou/Ikuhara comedy" anime? I'm curious to check them out.

Just for you KDash

Angel: Sailor Moon Edition

Mamoru as Angel
Motoki as Wesley
Rei as Cordelia
Seiya as Spike

It's truly truly truly outrageous that I don't think I have access to any of these.

Actually I can probably get whatever it is people get for Crunchyroll.

Hehe. And here I thought that the Jem references were over! Good luck, by the way. I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about getting through online region locks (or whatever they're called.)

Just for you KDash

Angel: Sailor Moon Edition

Mamoru as Angel
Motoki as Wesley
Rei as Cordelia
Seiya as Spike

Hmm...I guess I can see some of those, yeah. And Fred would be Mercury. (Hehe, Freddie Mercury)

Not sure about Wesley/Motoki, but the rest seem pretty on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, there's Goldfish Warning if you want Satou and Ikuhara to be in the same show, but the works they did afterward separately are stronger. Utena for Ikuhara, and Ojamajo Doremi for Satou/Igarashi, both have legitimate arguments for being the best magical girl show ever made, if one considers Utena to be magical girl anyway.

MikeMyers

Will add to the Bucket List. Hey wait, does the director for Crystal have anything notable on their resume?

@KDash: Who would be Wesley then? And I like the idea of Freddie Mercury though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Watch episodes 19, 27, and 41 of Smile Precure to experience Sakai at his best. As an episode director, he loads episodes with sumptuous backgrounds, deliberate and atmospheric scene framing, and emotional maturity and authenticity.

I'm actually (slowly) rewatching Suite Precure just to be able to better articulate why I didn't like it. So far, Sakai doesn't have a noticeable fingerprint of any sort on the material.

Syrinx

Watch episodes 19, 27, and 41 of Smile Precure to experience Sakai at his best. As an episode director, he loads episodes with sumptuous backgrounds, deliberate and atmospheric scene framing, and authentic emotion.

I'm actually (slowly) rewatching Suite Precure just to be able to better articulate why I didn't like it. So far, Sakai doesn't have a noticeable fingerprint of any sort on the material.

If those are the ones I remember you telling me they were, those were good episodes. Which kinda says a lot since the series as a whole left me cold.

@KDash: Who would be Wesley then? And I like the idea of Freddie Mercury though.
I didn't even realize the Freddie Mercury thing until I came back to the thread a while later, and I was like, "Oh! Haha, I gotta edit that in!"

Anyway...Artemis? At least the Buffy version, anyway. The Angel version might not really fit anyone, I think...but, I could be wrong.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure can be summed up as "wasted potential" rather succinctly. :/

Just for the record in this thread so that silence isn't taken as assent, I don't agree with this outside of a few specific instances and it's one of the seasons I still feel comfortable recommending to newcomers.

Well, there's Goldfish Warning if you want Satou and Ikuhara to be in the same show, but the works they did afterward separately are stronger. Utena for Ikuhara, and Ojamajo Doremi for Satou/Igarashi, both have legitimate arguments for being the best magical girl show ever made, if one considers Utena to be magical girl anyway.
Utena is a battle shounen.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just for the record in this thread so that silence isn't taken as assent, I don't agree with this outside of a few specific instances and it's one of the seasons I still feel comfortable recommending to newcomers.
To be clear, I'm not saying it was bad. Rather, it could have been something amazing given what it set up yet fell well short of that. That's easily "wasted potential".

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I wish all these fools would read the manga or just shut up already.
Haha, it's just getting started. People have weird ideas about what Sailor Moon should be given how many have only seen the old English dub ages ago when they were younger. Even if they've seen the real anime, that's all Sailor Moon is to them.

The manga has little to no wide exposure in the west.

MikeMyers

I wish PGSM had more exposure.

A lot of people I now own the new release of the manga, but haven't read it yet. Hell, I haven't even read the two short stories book despite owning them.

Top Bottom