• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dont think Sam can die. Ever. I bet the seasons can go to season 8 and he'll still be m'Lady-ing somewhere. Winter could come first before he'll croak over.

If they are trying to convince me that the North is dangerous blahblah, they do a poor job at it with Sam's arc.

Totes unconvinced.

ZqcgFIw.jpg

Content Roundup: The Watchers on the Wall

Reviews and Recaps:
AV Club (newbies)
Alan Sepinwall (Hitfix) Review
Andy Greenwald (Grantland) Recap
Rolling Stone Recap
IGN Review
TIME Recap
The Guardian Recap
James Hibberd (EW) Recap
Washington Post Recap
Huffington Post Recap
The Hollywood Reporter Recap
WiC.net Recap (Unsullied)

HBO Content:
HBO Viewers Guide
Inside the Episode
"The Battle of Castle Black" Director Neil Marshall talks filming the battle
"The One" Kit Harington & Rose Leslie talk Jon & Ygrritte
"A Formidable Fortress" GRRM talks defending Castle Black
Clip: Wildlings March on the Wall
Interview with Hannah Murray
"The Children" Preview

Interviews:
Game of Thrones team of tragic death at Castle Black
EW: Director Neil Marshall
TIME: Director Neil Marshall
Rolling Stone: Director Neil Marshall

Ratings: 6.9 million viewers on initial broadcast
Emmy Submissions: HBO's Emmy submissions for Game of Thrones

The post will be linked in the OP.

Koodo

Banned
I agree with whomever said last episode was excellent simply due to the Herculean effort of making an episode dedicated to the show's most worthless characters interesting.

(clap)

effzee

Unlike most people I always found Jon Snow one of the most fun characters to follow so this episode was even more amazing for me.

I don't even think any movie large scale battle scenes have ever come close to how well this was shot. Each time I think this show can't top it's own previous work, it does it. The GOAT show.

fallagin

She doesn't have that wild side.

I dunno, she was pretty wild and crazy in episode 8.

Yeah, part of the problem is that they call the zombiefied dudes wights. Which sounds a lot like the White Walkers. Which makes it easy to get confused.

Just remember: wights = zombies. White Walkers = weird icy motherfuckers with bright blue eyes.

500px-White_Walker_2x10.jpg

Oh, what. Totally thought white walkers were just dead zombie people.

demolitio

I was actually ... rooting for Jon Snow?

What a turnaround for such a weak (although obviously promising) character. This episode was full of great surprises for me. Epic really. Stannis and Dany are basically in comas in comparison.

Come on now. You know Stannis is actually at least leading to something relatively soon in terms of the show's timeline. I suspect he'll take over King's Landing sometime next season in time to deal with the white walkers as well.

Dany on the other hand, she might be over there for more seasons than they even plan to make. It doesn't help that the acting falls flat.

Basically, Stannis has been absent for good reason since the next time we'll see him is probably a camera panning over his huge army thanks to the Iron Bank while Dany constantly shows up to give us boring scenes 90% of the time with stories no one cares about. Stannis will be KING, Dany will be Queen in wannabe Babylon.

Actually, I kind of wonder (hope) that the last scene of this season will be that shot of Stannis amassing his army leaving us with a good cliff-hanger instead of "Dany frees more slaves that are of no relevance to the rest of the story and is devoid of any real cliff-hangers".

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree with whomever said last episode was excellent simply due to the Herculean effort of making an episode dedicated to the show's most worthless characters interesting.

(clap)
Ditto. Even as an episode dedicated only to one of the least entertaining story lines I couldn't stop watching.

I miss Ygritte already. My favorite ginger minge. :-(

But I guess it was good for the kid to get his revenge.

Faddy

Banned
Well marriage is how Henry Tudor did it. So... direwolf marries dragon?

Henry Tudor did it by conquest. His right to the throne was through his mother who was the Great Great Grand Daughter of Edward III, through his 3rd son. It was a very tenuous claim but the best Lancastrian one since lots of people in front of him had died. But ultimately he took the crown by force.

The fact that he married the daughter of Edward IV was only to bolster his political power not his right to the throne since he did not rule as a dual monarch like William and Mary did.

If you watch GoT for Palace Intrigue it is worth giving The White Queen (Starz) a watch, it is a single season and covers the most interesting parts of the War of the Roses with some dramatic license.

I cant see any reason that Arya would die. Though I think there is a reasonable chance Tyrion could die and also the Hound.
If the Hounds neck wound doesnt kill him, I think Brienne might. How good would Brienne vs the Hound be!?

RytGear

I got more upset at Pip dying than I did Oberyn. Sorry guys.

I'm more surprised that people aren't as sad about this I was expecting. Oberyn knew what the risks were but Pyp was not really even meant to be at castle black, he got touched up by some old bloke right? The fear that you see at the start shows that he should not have been there, at least Ygritte dies though, I knew it would happen because I got spoiled but the moment it pans to her I was in full on rage mode. You cannot expect me to feel bad about a major characters death in that longful stare when she has literally just been on a killing spree with people that I liked.

Come on now. You know Stannis is actually at least leading to something relatively soon in terms of the show's timeline. I suspect he'll take over King's Landing sometime next season in time to deal with the white walkers as well.

Dany on the other hand, she might be over there for more seasons than they even plan to make. It doesn't help that the acting falls flat.

Basically, Stannis has been absent for good reason since the next time we'll see him is probably a camera panning over his huge army thanks to the Iron Bank while Dany constantly shows up to give us boring scenes 90% of the time with stories no one cares about. Stannis will be KING, Dany will be Queen in wannabe Babylon.

Actually, I kind of wonder (hope) that the last scene of this season will be that shot of Stannis amassing his army leaving us with a good cliff-hanger instead of "Dany frees more slaves that are of no relevance to the rest of the story and is devoid of any real cliff-hangers".

Me and you Bro. Rule Stannis! I really hope he's in episode 10.

Me and you Bro. Rule Stannis! I really hope he's in episode 10.

We haven't seen him in a while and I can't imagine they would end the season without him having some sort of a progress/resolution.

Im starting to believe the theory someone mentioned earlier in the thread about Stannis somehow conveniently saving Tyrion from execution. I believe.

Olly singeing the ginge

DelightfulRepentantCommabutterfly.gif

What a boss. Fuck that the bow is way too large for him to even use, he ain't letting that get in the way of saving Jon Snow.

Also, his name is Olly, and this coincidental Green Arrow reference is the closest we'll get to an Iron Man/Game of Thrones crossover with Tony Stark, Lord of Winterfell.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What a boss. Fuck that the bow is way too large for him to even use, he ain't letting that get in the way of saving Jon Snow.

Also, his name is Olly, and this coincidental Green Arrow reference is the closest we'll get to an Iron Man/Game of Thrones crossover with Tony Stark, Lord of Winterfell.

Tony Stark wouldn't ever be Lord of anything in Westeros. Shits too behind the times for him. The Free Cities though? Hmm, Lord Stark of Bravos has nice ring to it.

happypup

Great episode. I hope to see more of the north as time goes on. So far the show has felt much more like an epic fantasy slice of life story than one that has any real purpose or direction in mind. No Macguffin, no heroes or villains in the classical sense. Just people living in a harsh world. Not that some of these people aren't horrible people, but that the classical paradigm of good vs evil is not driving the story. You have these forces of nature, a winter storm full of giants and wights and white walkers, bearing down on them from the north. You have a house divided, weakened from conflict. Inside this world you have stories of people, glimpses of the world from different viewpoints, they tell their part of the story but when they die the world goes on.

At this point I don't expect any character will live to the end. I don't see a hero saving the world, only survivors picking up the ruins of a broken world.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Lol
It took me a while to realize that the bearded guy's name was Tormund(?), and not Mance.
:/

I called him Taggart McAngus. I make names up for characters whose names I cannot remember, especially if the names are rarely mentioned, or in Jon Snuff's case, mumbled by a wee man that speaks with a mouth full of ginger minge. This habit drives my wife crazy, because she doesn't know I'm making shit up.

With the right editing, this will be a good ban GIF. Maybe have Bish riding the anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom