• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the of the HD 4000 series Ruby tech demo

Endless

At a press conference June 16, 2008, in San Francisco, AMD demonstrated a milestone achievement in ultra-realistic and interactive visual computing through the processing power of its forthcoming teraFLOPS (trillion floating point operations per second) graphics chip, codenamed “RV770”. - PR

2quk9ys.jpg

Rendered in real-time and interactive, this is a brief video from the first Cinema 2.0 demo, premiered by AMD in San Francisco. The interactive demo was rendered by a single PC equipped with two "RV770" codenamed graphics cards powered by an AMD Phenom™ X4 9850 Processor and AMD 790FX Chipset. The full demo shows cinema-quality digital images rendered in real-time with interactivity.

Video | amd.com/Cinema 2.0

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm a total sucker for virtual cityscapes. Are there high res shots anywhere? The video link on amd.com doesn't seem to be working for me for some strange reason..

DarkJC

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yet we have gamers who don't want consoles this powerful to hit the streets until like 2014. :lol

Save it for the PC, as far as I'm concerned this generation it just hitting its groove.

Minsc

Gold Member
DarkJC said:
Save it for the PC, as far as I'm concerned this generation it just hitting its groove.

A groove which doesn't include 1080p at 60fps? I thought that was one of the main points/failures of PS3/360. Delivering a "true HD" experience, yet people are so quickly content to settle for merely better than 480p.

then again most people can't tell the difference between 640p & 1080p on their HDTVs anyway, along with 30 fps & 60 fps

Anyone have a link to the video in HD mp4 or mov format, this one kinda flops on my Mac.

unrelated, but am i the only one that doesn't like how fake 60fps looks? looks way too smooth to me. give me a locked 30 fps and I'm a happy camper

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Now that's how you make a tech demo! Yeesh, nVidia's Medusa looks like utter shit in comparison (although it was pretty meh to begin with).

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
JodyAnthony said:
unrelated, but am i the only one that doesn't like how fake 60fps looks? looks way too smooth to me. give me a locked 30 fps and I'm a happy camper

Funny, I told me brother the same thing a couple of days ago.

R700 / competes with GT200/9800GX2 / ETA: 8 weeks
RV770 XT / ATI Radeon HD 4870 / competes with 9800GTX / release: July 8, 2008 (U.S. time)
RV770 PRO / ATI Radeon HD 4850 / competes with 8800GT/8800GTS/9600GT / June 25, 2008 (U.S. time)

July 8 am confirmed? I hope not.

b.e.r.g

Kewl =)

I doubt its capable of producing en entire Liberty City with those details though.
Amazing stuff, though still abit far away (for us mortals).

inner-G

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yet we have gamers who don't want consoles this powerful to hit the streets until like 2014. :lol
PCs are always more powerful than consoles. What exactly is your point?

I would gladly give up some graphics, to keep my game experience on a console. So much easier to use and all the series I like are console based.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
inner-G said:
PCs are always more powerful than consoles. What exactly is your point?

I would gladly give up some graphics, to keep my game experience on a console. So much easier to use and all the series I like are console based.

"Some" is a pretty big understatement.

Mindlog

I love the ATI/NV compeition. NV has had the lead for a while, but man the new Price/Performance ATI is going to put out is fantastic.

Diablos

I'm calling bullshot until this level of quality is witnessed real time, in-game, with physics and everything else going on, and not to mention at a solid framerate. Techdemos are interesting for five minutes, and then you realize that you really don't interact with them at all, and do not represent what the mainstream consumer expects out of the product (hint: nobody drops hundreds of dollars on new GPU's just to watch new techdemos unless you are some PR freak).

Maybe in 5-10 years. I do not see games looking like this anytime soon. Impressive that we are one step closer to getting there, though!

Diablos said:
I'm calling bullshot until this level of quality is witnessed real time, in-game, with physics and everything else going on, and not to mention at a solid framerate.

Maybe in 5-10 years. I do not see games looking like this anytime soon. Impressive that we are one step closer to getting there, though!
Hurrrr

Diablos

"Hurrr" what? Time and time again we all fall for it. Since the PSX T-Rex demo. :D Everything from games in development to techdemos, they fail to represent what you get in a real-time game environment.

This is an impressive leap forward, but how profound it'll really be for real-time applications has yet to be seen. This is the point I'm trying to make. When you do a techdemo you can devote pretty much every single resource to it.

Diablos said:
"Hurrr" what? Time and time again we all fall for these techdemos and bullshots. Everything from games in development to techdemos, they fail to represent what you get in a real-time game environment.

This is an impressive leap forward, but how profound it'll really be for real-time applications has yet to be seen. This is the point I'm trying to make. When you do a techdemo you can devote pretty much every single resource to it.

I think its more the fact what you posted is pretty much common sense and doesn't need to be specifically pointed out....

Diablos

inner-g and Ysiadmihi's little exchange seems to make me think otherwise. True, PC graphics have already outdone the consoles and will continue to do so, but I don't think you will see anything that much more significant by the end of this gen.

Why isn't the total ruby tech demonstration video showing full interactivity with the environment (in hd) out on the net . All we have is a shitty 5 second utube quality vid.

diddlyD

Banned
oh man when does this beast come out? cant wait for it.

Minsc said:
A groove which doesn't include 1080p at 60fps? I thought that was one of the main points/failures of PS3/360. Delivering a "true HD" experience, yet people are so quickly content to settle for merely better than 480p.

not everyone is failing the 1080p 60fps target on current consoles. GTA5 prologue is 1080p 60fps, so is super stardust HD. there are others. its just a matter of developers being talented enough, which unfortunately seems to be getting more and more rare.

Maybe I would have been more impressed if they didn't have lame fake blur and all that going on. The Cryengine Bravia ad redone was more impressive.

Top Bottom