• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 - 3 Gameplay videos (IGN)

flashmouth

Neo Member
The way he cuts every corner and just plows over the track - not feeling it. It's a great approach being able to drive everywhere, but for the racing part there need to be limits. Make the cars that go offroad seriously slower, especially when driving though fields, make them lose grip so steering is much harder, just don't make it that easy. It can be cool like Fulton explained in the IGNF interview, e.g. in a special game mode, but like shown in the video that's just dumbed down racing imho even for a more arcadey type of racing game.
Also there's some serious rubberbanding going on.

It's an E3 demo encouraged for the masses, ofc there will be some caveats. Not only that, few of the press are actually any good at racing games - PG need to have it as accessible as shit otherwise you'll have the people providing you content crying about it.

As for the off-road versus on, we simply don't know the extent to which a penalty will be induced if you go offroad. In some sections its obvious that off-road is the encouraged way, but even in H1 in the short cut sections you were hit with the 'looser' grip if you weren't on the track. Then again, two of the three cars in the demo are 4WD too, so would fare better than most going across less than desirable terrain.

shandy706

The way he cuts every corner and just plows over the track - not feeling it. It's a great approach being able to drive everywhere, but for the racing part there need to be limits. Make the cars that go offroad seriously slower, especially when driving though fields, make them lose grip so steering is much harder, just don't make it that easy. It can be cool like Fulton explained in the IGNF interview, e.g. in a special game mode, but like shown in the video that's just dumbed down racing imho even for a more arcadey type of racing game.
Also there's some serious rubberbanding going on.

The settings that are locked, and reason for a lot of things in the E3 demo has already been addressed in this thread.

In the last few pages I believe.

I just see the demo as a taster before I pick the game up. Massively excited for this.

I might skip the demo and just wait for the main course. All depends on when the demo is released though. If it's a couple of weeks before release, it could be a nice appetiser as you said, if it's a month or more before release, it would just be a nightmare.

To get a taste with so long to wait for the main course? I'd probably go mad...

ekim

No more fictional characters is a small bummer for me. I liked the commentaries about them by the Horizon Rocks moderators. This makes me wonder if these are still in.

Q: When will we see night-time gameplay? Also, anything interesting/next-gen about the festival?

A: Forza Horizon 2 features a dynamic 24 hour day-to-night cycle with spectacular weather, lighting, and visual effects all running at 1080p. In online modes, party leaders can choose time of day and weather settings they wish to race in.

They need to release a time-lapse video showcasing the 24 cycle with some dynamic weather thrown in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this on the show floor, and while the graphics looked nice, Microsoft made a poor choice putting it right next to the Forza 5 demo station. This made the lower frame rate extremely noticeable.

W.S.

No more fictional characters is a small bummer for me. I liked the commentaries about them by the Horizon Rocks moderators. This makes me wonder if these are still in.

Yeah I actually liked that part of the first Horizon so I'm wondering how they're going to tie the festival and drivers just through the Drivatar system.

They mention rally in the AMA. Signs aren't good...

I'm thinking about that...

They made rally upgrade parts for Horizon rally expansion. How hard would it be to translate those modifications to the Forza Motorsports physics engine and add rallying to the game, à la Gran Turismo? Make a couple stages from repaving/adding weather to existing tracks (Fujimi Kaido with rain! Nurburgring with snow! Bathurst with gravel!) or maybe copy some from Horizon/Horizon 2...

I'm thinking about that...

They made rally upgrade parts for Horizon rally expansion. How hard would it be to translate those modifications to the Forza Motorsports physics engine and add rallying to the game, à la Gran Turismo? Make a couple stages from repaving/adding weather to existing tracks (Fujimi Kaido with rain! Nurburgring with snow! Bathurst with gravel!) or maybe copy some from Horizon/Horizon 2...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing they'll probably pull a Horizon 1 and release it as DLC or something. I'd have preferred it being in the main game, but I'm not against it being DLC if it's as good as the Rally DLC from the first Horizon.

Yes, I don't think that Horizon 2 is going to be that big on rally. On the other hand, the good news is that leaves more room for the RalliSport Challenge revival, right?

Oh man, what I wouldn't do for a new RSC. And the chances of getting a new one aren't actually zero what with Phantom Dust making a return. We need to start a twitter campaign.

One thing is missing from the weather in gameplay I have watched, while the wipers leave water streaks there is no initial water splash for the rain hitting the windshield.

shinnn

Booted FH on X360 today and made some comparisons.. keep in mind those are captures from video vs elgato game capture

igZ5JiCfaeWZu.jpg

ibmEqei6POTWxk.jpg

it5viQ4inYMCA.jpg

iKu7C9iwo05nU.jpg

ibaSj0kqmvrFYm.jpg

iEMIMWYSF2SxE.jpg

iITv4AzbpRWwm.jpg

ifybOT13Ao7UJ.jpg

iO3Bio4LY3oJl.jpg

ibnf5dzENocGIo.jpg

p3tran

Banned
Played with the hurrcan

e3 demo wouldn't allow for a change in handling unfortunately, so it was automatic with assists on (I found no way to turn them off in the e3 build)

The impulse triggers seemed to add another dimension when going off-road, which was nice. The real challenge came when it started raining, however. The entire handling mechanic became MUCH more slippery.

The rain affects all surface types in the game. Tarmac, sand, mud, gravel. They tell me they are only focusing on rain, for now, as they are modeling the specifics of the environment they've set the game in very closely. They are looking into atmospherics, though there are already some elements of the weather change which will immediately affect visibility (ie, cockpit view).

Also, barn finds are making a return.

MY MAN!! you got hands-on? thats great!

I wanted to ask you if you think from the little you played that there will be depth there for someone coming from forza motorsport.
like, after finishing the career, like one would do with a NFS game, I'd really like for this game to have the depth of FM in the handling (yeah-yeah, flip all the "AID" switches to off and all that). what you wrote about is encouraging but still with all aids on, there's not much you could tell I guess.
never the less, the addition of FM's tuning setups gives me some hope...

now if only t10 was smart enough and gave their fictional FM tracks to be included as events in horizon....

Sayad

Booted FH on X360 today and made some comparisons.. keep in mind those are captures from video vs elgato game capture

igZ5JiCfaeWZu.jpg

ibmEqei6POTWxk.jpg

it5viQ4inYMCA.jpg

iKu7C9iwo05nU.jpg

ibaSj0kqmvrFYm.jpg

iEMIMWYSF2SxE.jpg

iITv4AzbpRWwm.jpg

ifybOT13Ao7UJ.jpg

iO3Bio4LY3oJl.jpg

ibnf5dzENocGIo.jpg
Good to see that the piss filter is gone. Love the new sky boxes, with or without clouds they just look gorgeous.

I hope that barn finds are more special feeling then in the first game, they were cool but it was just like handing you a car no questions asked.

Personally you should have to pay to restore a car or do more to get the car up and running.

p3tran

Banned
I hope that barn finds are more special feeling then in the first game, they were cool but it was just like handing you a car no questions asked.

Personally you should have to pay to restore a car or do more to get the car up and running.
yes, this also can go to the next level.

first step is that I read at least half of barn finds are cars that are brand-new to forza, which is good for that "special" feeling.

but from there on, yes, there is a looong road to follow from the point you get a car left in a barn to the point of having it restored and tearing up the roads..
I dont know if/how they will try to expand on the barn thing (win this dude to get this part?), but I'm not expecting anything either :)

That GI preview is getting me HYPED!
Game sounds so fantastic. I can't believe were getting this revival of great racing games. So crazy.

It's kind of hard to see a huge difference from the screens. I think you could convince someone they were from the same game. In motion its a whole different story though.

klodeckel

Banned
Forza Horizon 2’s Radical New Weather -- IGN First
How Playground Games’ brand new weather systems have science on their side.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/18/forza-horizon-2as-radical-new-weather-ign-first

Really an interesting read. Sounds like Playground has some real tech-heads in their team. Some interesting quotes:

“So we know that when rain hits a surface, we know how it’s going to respond to that rain and therefore how light’s going to affect it. And all of that feeds right through to the simulation so you get effects like beading on the paintwork, and you can see the way rain affects the road surface; it’s all tied together in the physically-based system.”
“So yeah, the roads absolutely get dry in a particular way, and over a particular time scale that you would expect, and it’s the same for the cars as well.”
“And I kept saying, can we move that rainbow? And people said, ‘No, because it’s being simulated; it’s about where the sun is in the sky, and the amount of moisture in the atmosphere. It’s just creating a rainbow.”
“The great thing is that the guys [at Turn 10] had already made that switch to a physically-based material system, which meant that all of that base information was already there,” explains Roberts. “So it was just a case of going in a making sure the weather effects interacted with those materials in the way you would expect. But just having that information there in the first place was a major benefit.”

Kssio_Aug

Really an interesting read. Sounds like Playground has some real tech-heads in their team. Some interesting quotes:

That sounds really great! Yeah, it seems this gen will start to be a blast from here now... Forza H. 2 and DriveClub both seems to have an amazing work on weather and environment stuff.

Top Bottom