• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 'Postmortem' -- ideas, thoughts, suggestions for DLC

Brizzo24

Disclaimer: First off, I love this game--this isn't a thread about what Nintendo did wrong, rather a list of suggestions I feel would truly help benefit the game, and the ongoing community centered around Mario Kart 8. It's not a postmortem, rather a celebration of what can be around the corner.

The install base is huge, especially for a Wii U title. Last I checked Mario Kart 8 boosted hardware sales! In fact, didn't it quadruple the hardware sales? I'm hopeful Nintendo will be able to fully capitalize on that, and foster the community with updates/more content. With that being said, If Nintendo were to release DLC, the following is a list/set of examples I'd love to see get incorporated into the game.

Please reply with any ideas you feel could be incorporated into an update/DLC

*note* this is an image I created in PS.

8Nq0KaM.jpg

Non Imgur Image: http://s27.postimg.org/6ut1t2kht/MK8.jpg

Pretty simple! I'd really enjoy it if Mario Kart 8 incorporated stats. If there's anything that's missing, it's stats. I think the ability to watch your replays, and tweak 'em is a huge step! I also feel the YouTube integration is flawless--it's how we got all those funny Death Stare Luigi clips (for the most part). However it'd be cool to see how many races you've competed in, how many miles you've driven, time spent underwater, time spent in the air, etc. I know it'd be hard to incorporate that after many hours of gameplay, since there hasn't been any stat tracking up to now. So, if anything this could serve in future installments.

The second thing I'd really like to see is a way to incorporate mini-games, or track challenges, which would help mix up the formula. Rather than constantly racing and competing for 1st place, it'd be really beneficial/fun to be able to try your hand at a few well-thought-out mini games that you select from the menu, and compete against the community online--sort of like the Trials series. I came up with a few examples above, but here are a few more:

• Imagine racing a single lap against 11 lightning-shrunk Bowsers, who all have flower (fire) power, and you play as Mario with limited Star power (10 seconds).
  • Racing 2 laps with oil slicked tires, making it extra tricky to stay on the road.

Of course these mini-games would work on a technological level if they utilize the game's assets, and don't call for extra programming power.

I'm curious to hear your suggestions for DLC

LuuKyK

Your image is not working for some reason. Try re-hosting it. I would do it but its not even showing up in its original link.

Azuardo

Series packs of characters/tracks.

e.g. Kong Pack - includes Diddy, Dixie, Funky, Cranky characters, plus some old DK-themed retro tracks not used in other MKs, or new DK tracks.

At the very least, I just want Dixie. I keep campaigning for her on Miiverse lol.

Obviously, for DLC new battle mode tracks. New characters like Diddy, birdo, etc would be cool too. Not sure what they will do with amiibo, but the implementation wont' be till next year, by the looks of it. Maybe some "Nintendo all stars" guest characters like toon link with an "epona" kart or something like that. Not sure about adding more cups, as that would be a lot of work that could be put towards the next MK game.
edit: MKDS had these missions, right? I remember liking them...maybe that?

Snakeyes

- A proper Battle mode
- Friend invites
- Behind-the-back camera option in replays
- Better roster
- Mission Mode a la MKDS

cybroxide

More remakes of old courses! Also proper battle mode courses! Challenges!

Honestly I'd like them to go with some MKWii concepts for battle mode and get the half-pipes back!

Azure J

An map pack with Arena-style tracks for Battle mode.

This, more retro courses given the 8 treatment (Wario Colosseum, Ribbon Road, Cheese Land), some new characters from the fringe spin offs/extended picks from the universes of the characters in game (Kamek, E. Gadd, Captain Syrup/Mona/Jimmy T/9 Volt/Ashley, more Kongs, King Boo), some proper stat tracking (coins collected, average placing in races, number of times a specific character was used, etc), the option to see maps on the main screen, ability to invite people into games in progress, mission mode, ability to export longer MKTV highlights, save more MKTV highlights and edit the cameras/perspectives/playback speed for a highlight to be exported...

Yeah I really love Mario Kart 8 but there's a LOT of room for stuff they could do to really make it a standout title.

Brizzo24

Your image is not working for some reason. Try re-hosting it. I would do it but its not even showing up in its original link.

Thanks! It was coming through on my end--I was trying to avoid Imgur's lousy compression this whole time, but it appears the site hosting my image must've been having complications. I included a link under the imgur image

Bring back every previous character from the series absent in MK8 along with having proper battle courses. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Posted this in the written section of my MK8 Club Nintendo survey:

GAMEPLAY:

I wish the developers had made MK8 more precise in the way it handles racing overall. There isn't much stat tracking, and vehicle modifications actually snap to integers (1, 2, 3, 4) rather than using real numbers (1.2, 2.65, 3.458); even though this is how the information is presented to the player on-screen in the Kart's stat bars. This has been verified by multiple players online using ghost data.

Furthermore, I wish local multiplayer and online tournaments had the ability to select precisely which items could be used in the race- similar to how Super Smash Bros. has allowed player to select which items they are going to use in a match. I've been an avid player of the Mario Kart games since the series made its debut on Super Nintendo. I've wished I could take out the blue shell ever since they added the item in Mario Kart 64!

Also, it would be nice if users could change the rate of item appearance within the game. Though the "frantic mode" in the game does touch on this a bit, the balance isn't quite where I'd like it to be as an avid player of the game.

I believe these changes would help make Mario Kart into a game that can be played more competitively. Hopefully, as E3 2014 demonstrated, that's not necessarily a negative thing. Moreover, the changes I recommend would leave the "core" of the game untouched (because MK8's core components are rock-solid), and simply add more options that a more competitive player might desire. I'd be willing pay for DLC that added these features. Perhaps you could call it "Mario Kart 8: Tournament Pack" :)

ONLINE GLITCH:

Next, I'd like to touch on what is apparently a MAJOR glitch in the online code. Through some investigation, online users and myself believe a major glitch occurs in the "lobby" portion of the online code wherein a user that disconnects before selecting a stage fails to be dropped as a voting user when stages are voted on. Apparently, because the host computer does not know the user has left, the computer cannot render a vote for the user and encounters a fatal error. This boots everyone out of the lobby and forces us to reconnect. This has happened many times to me personally, and other users. Please fix this blemish on an otherwise decent online feature.

It would also be nice to have voice chat, and be able to friend users met in random matches- but I know Nintendo has issues with that...

MKTV:

It'd be nice to allow for longer videos to be uploaded to YouTube.

BATTLE MODE:

I will pay money for a decent battle mode DLC with online. That is all.

FINAL THOUGHTS
In closing, I know I've made alot of recommendations in this post, but it's because I LOVE the game so much. This game gets all the basic right. It nails them. That's why I want to play more of it, and frankly, play it at a higher level. Adding the gameplay options I suggested would transform MK8 from an outstanding game to a legendary one in my book. Great job on Mario Kart 8 and I can't wait to see what's in store in the series for the future.

Synless

I personally need more tracks. There are so many great tracks from past games that areant used that I wish were in the game.

coldone

- Fix the battle mode
- One or two extra modes like ring challenge for existing tracks.
- 4 more tracks and 4 more characters (unique, not just normal/baby/metal).
- Ant-gravity bump challenge. Riddle the track with a whole lot of studs in anti-gravity and let people score the highest by hitting consecutive studs.

Azure J

I personally need more tracks. There are so many great tracks from past games that areant used that I wish were in the game.

It's not even that I want them because they're unused so much as I want them because Mario Kart 8 has made so many older stages anywhere from more tolerable to absolutely incredible (even considering the made for 8 stages). I'd love to see them play with something like GBA Ribbon Road seeing the level twist and contort in real time like someone was actually racing on a ribbon fluttering in the air. With stuff like antigrav and the trick boosts, that'd certainly make for a ridiculous level.

GCN Baby Park & Wario Colosseum would also be ridiculously awesome.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
More characters. So many stupid babies and therefore duplicates which to me is stupidly lazy. Three princesses and Mario/Luigi and their equivalent baby forms take up the bulk of the roster, and then the metal variants! So many enemies and characters ignored in favor of these terrible ones.

More tracks would be awesome. But I won't pay a ton for more stuff either since I feel it isn't as content packed as it could be. Some free DLC could go a long way. I like the game despite all this, but free DLC would be great for fans.

For race mode im thinking they should just re-use retro tracks from mario kart 7 or any other already done retro tracks. I'd buy them...

sja_626

-New Cups/Tracks! 32 is a reasonable number but I'd gladly shell out for more. New and retro.
- Mission Mode
- Proper battle mode

Azure J

Also, give me a Black Gold Bowser or Crystal Rosalina so we can finally shut the door on these deluded Fool's Gold Peach supporters. :p

SmithnCo

Get rid of these communication errors and empty room joins.

The empty room joins are pretty annoying, yeah. At least you can get in a game with previously played people to kind of get around it if they are in a particular room.

Arena maps for battle mode is an obvious one, it would also be cool if they remade F-Zero tracks for Mario Kart as some fanservice.

have they confirmed DLC is coming?

They confimed Amiibo support at E3 and I think Japan got/is getting that Mercedes DLC.

On topic, I'll echo battle mode but damn do I want more A to B races. Mount Wario is just too damn fun, and visually fresh throughout the race.

Shun

Akina_all.gif

Iroha_map.jpg

carland86-initial-d-replica-1-433x325.jpg

Initial D type DLC tracks that incorporate constant drifting, continuous sharp hairpin turns, and increased difficulty. Make them all 3-part race tracks with more balance that favors more light characters vs heavy characters.

Trueno AE86 Cross-Promo for Initial D cause fuck it, we're getting a Mercedes GLA. Mind as well throw in something legendary as a kart too.

Trago

Like a broken record, ARENAS FOR BATTLE MODE.

We should get some for free. Battle mode was murdered in that game.

Oswen

I'd love to get a proper battle mode witth *THE* battle map included.
More retro tracks would be nice, i love how they remade those in the game.
New characters could also work since the roster isn't that great, something like Baby Bowser, Baby Dk, Baby Yoshi, Pewter Luigi, Lava Bowser, Fool's Gold Wario etc would work.
Joking aside i'd love to see Bowser Jr, Pauline and King Boo included.

Top Bottom