• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere in Redmond, Washington - right now - a Microsoft PR minion is frozen in horror in a facepalm pose...

Denis, a few words of advice - try to be classier. you're better then this. In any case, I get the strong impression that you feel this game is deserving of AAA status and you're vexed as to why such worship is noat already being directed toward 2human. FWIW it just doesn't have that 'AAA' feeling to me at this point. I'll probably give this game a spin but I will definitely rent first so count me indifferent at this point.

Geoff9920

I normally just lurk these threads as they tend to turn to crap more often than not, but since it's "put up or shut up" time ;-), my vote goes to for

Philthy

TeTr1C said:
Wow, this is fucking sad that you have to resort to creating sides for your game.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. Sit back and smile a little, it's not every day a dev comes around to have a bit of fun.

For. What I've seen looks like a lot of fun.

xbhaskarx

sionyboy said:
1 million is a quite a lot, Bioshock did 490k for its first NPD month in August, I think that would be more of a fairer ball park figure.

Yeah but I said two months, not just August. But you're right about 1 million being too high since it's coming out before the holiday season begins.

Maybe 750,000 for August/September NPD combined is a more reasonable standard?

I think 80+ is a reasonable standard for "good" when it comes to Metacritic / Gamerankings scores. If it's right near the 80% line, the two scores could be averaged.

Nolan.

mm04 said:
This thread just got a whole lot better! Thanks Denis for posting the most entertaining thread of the day or even week.

Some of your are spineless jellyfish. Take a stand. You're taking your internet reputation waaaay too seriously. This is a damn internet message board. Nobody knows who the hell you are. You can't have fun here? This is only a place for "serious business"? Get a grip and say FOR or AGAINST. It's not that hard.

As for the people crying for some sort of consequence for voting FOR. We're buying the damn game. That's the consequence. So if you vote against, how about you go buy Lair? Or maybe you have already...so you might already know exactly how we might feel if Too Human sucks.

Because you can never be skeptical about a game and buy it nonetheless right.

Evlar

Banned
And let me get this straight: The deal is that everyone who says "Against" will get a tag if the game succeeds with gamers in some vague manner, and Dyack gets a tag if the game disappoints gamers in some vague manner. Right?

So all the people in here who post "For" aren't risking a thing, right?

EDIT: Heh, backwards.

Doc Evils

Busty said:
I assume that you're scanning through your copy of "Jeff Bell's Guide to Internet Based PR" as you post in this thread?

jiyj2r.gif

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Denis Dyack said:
Put up or shut up.

:lol

Duckroll, since Denis appears more than confident that Too Human is going to be well-received, and he hasn't worried himself over detailing the criteria, it's clear that he's giving you license to play fair and make the assessment once all is said and done.

He's actually giving you the wiggle room to make the call, which makes it even more ballsy. Yet, you still balk.

And the idea that he doesn't post here is pretty silly considering. He posts more often than most developers and he's already had an infinite amount of liquid shit splattered his way. Something tells me a tag isn't going to run him off for good.

I'm really looking forward to the game, as I have since the beginning. Hopefully it's as good as most of us want it to be.

Dyack, you take a lot of shit on this forum, but I'm sure that you're well aware that the infantile trolling on this forum - as big as it might seem - ultimately represents a small fraction of the gaming community.

Oh, btw: FOR.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
I was always planning on getting Too Human regardless. I'll be sure to get my pre-order in soon since it's already turning out to be quite entertaining.

I love how bent out of shape some of you guys get when someone in the industry actually acts like a regular person. Talk about taking shit to seriously. If i was denis i'd be laughing my ass off right now.

clutha

Neo Member
The best games (at least in this genre) start with good story lines... this story looks well thought out.

FOR!

I'm certainly not against the game.

Put me in the 'for' column, if that means 'I hope it will be really good'.

Denis Dyack said:
Put up or shut up.

Only here, only Denis. Good show sir. :lol :lol :lol

gantz85

Banned
mm04 said:
Some of your are spineless jellyfish. Take a stand. You're taking your internet reputation waaaay too seriously. This is a damn internet message board. Nobody knows who the hell you are. You can't have fun here? This is only a place for "serious business"? Get a grip and say FOR or AGAINST. It's not that hard.

Jellybrains like yours don't really get it. He WANTS the posters to take forum reputation seriously. It's the only reason and way that this thread would work. He did it to raise ire and cause a stir, for free publicity, for his ego, for many things. It might even make it on Kotaku.

He can't be anything less than happy with the replies so far.

The whole thread hangs on the assumption that posters care for their reputation.

fse

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I love how bent out of shape some of you guys get when someone in the industry actually acts like a regular person. Talk about taking shit to seriously. If i was denis i'd be laughing my ass off right now.

:lol

Majmun

Getting Too Human on day NEVER.

The gameplay looks like it needs more work and the graphics don't look hot either.

Sorry, but I'm AGAINST.

Speevy

Banned
I think overall everyone wants Dyack's game to be good because they love good games (duh), but they're also showing a modicum of respect, something which hasn't been shown in return.

Truth be told, Too Human could get solid 8s and people are going to rip it (and Dyack) to shreds. There are people who have taken freaking METAL GEAR SOLID 4 to task for its flaws. I seriously doubt Too Human is immune.

So if Too Human flops, does that mean you consider yourself a loyal member of the Sony family? It's the logical next step before cell phones.

I'm still really excited, even though the loss of 4p co-op dulled the buzz in my group of friends.

A great demo will silence many of the doubts... time is growing short, but if it's released with the right coverage backing it, it could be this year's Bioshockery (in terms of an attention-grabbing demo).

I'm for. That reminds me, gotta go preorder to get those sweet armor sets.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I assure you he is probably not. but most of gaf is :lol

Doodis

Holy hell! I leave GAF for like 30 minutes to do some work and an epic thread erupts! You crack me up, Denis.

FOR.

McBradders said:
The Dyack, I was for until you axed four player co-op over Live.

You hooked me with lavish dreams of PSO reborn, then dashed me on the rocks of disappointment when you scaled back to two players.

NEUTRAL.

We'll talk after the demo.

I'm in the "With" camp, as in with McBradders...he nailed it. After Halo 3 and the glory of 4-player online co-op, people were saying it was "teh fyu-chur" and I agreed wholeheartedly. Games like Left4Dead and (previously) Too Human seemed like this was the case -- and I was EXCITED. The disappointment I felt when I heard TH was scaled back to 2 player basically meant, my excitement went from "buy day 1" to "wait for the reviews, and maybe, just maybe I'll rent it before I even consider buying it."

I don't mean to call you out on this, but you overpromised, and now you're under delivering. Compare this to the Bungie model of being vewy vewy qwuiet until near release and THEN announcing awesome exciting features, and delivering on said promise. And now, you go out of your way to get people to side up on the for or against when all we really have at this point are (sometimes) crappy screenshots (mainly due to IGN's compression), one "majorish" animation cut-scene, a few writers impressions. There's no playable demo. It hasn't been shown at any major events (I'm guessing this will change at E3?).

I wanted to like this game as much as any, but at this point, the best I (and you) could hope for is its a good game, not stellar or awesome like say Gears or Halo or COD4...but modest sales in the first couple of months. Hell, I'd say if you got 1.5-2 million, you should consider it a success.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I love how bent out of shape some of you guys get when someone in the industry actually acts like a regular person. Talk about taking shit too seriously.

Indeed, it's all very 'do as we say, not as we do' around here.

keanerie

I mean I'm for this game and for Denis Dyack, but yeah, you should really make the stipulations here a bit more concrete.

Diablos

I really want to play your game, Denis, but I am disappointed that you had to display such childish antics. Really, though -- it's your game. It has been in development for quite some time. Anything less than you saying how amazing you think it is would no doubt come as a surprise to everyone.

Neither for nor against. I'll download the demo and go from there (was a "For" before you made this thread, by the way. This thread is really bad PR. Congrats.)

1. Christ, does it hurt when your balls are so big that they drag on the floor behind you?
2. I was For until the coop bait/switch, now I'm Against until I see that class-based multiplayer can work with only 2 players (in other words, a demo).

xbhaskarx said:
Yeah but I said two months, not just August. But you're right about 1 million being too high since it's coming out before the holiday season begins.

Maybe 750,000 for August/September NPD combined is a more reasonable standard?

I think 80+ is a reasonable standard for "good" when it comes to Metacritic / Gamerankings scores. If it's right near the 80% line, the two scores could be averaged.

Ahh right, I thought you put August/September as you weren't sure which month it is. My bad.

I think for a game that wouldn't appeal to the mass market, and released in the same month as Madden, 1 million would be a lot. I think Bioshock set a good sales target last year with 640k over the two NPD months, so around that ballpark would be considered a respecatable target.

I agree on the metacritic score, 80 would represent the game is good, not earth shatteringly awesome, but probably worth a look. Although some people seem to think that the review scale is 90 to 110% these days, so I can't see everyone going for that target!

If it gets over 500k sales and 80 on metacritic, I think we can say its a good game. 1 million sales and over 90%, then a lot of people in this thread shouldn't post here again :p

fse

Diablos said:
I really want to play your game, Denis, but I am disappointed that you had to display such childish antics. Really, though -- it's your game. It has been in development for quite some time. Anything less than you saying how amazing you think it is would no doubt come as a surprise to everyone.

Neither for nor against. I'll download the demo and go from there (was a "For" before you made this thread, by the way. This thread is really bad PR. Congrats.)

Childish? Did he call another game trash, or tell a developer to stop making games?

Bad PR? bad pr would be posting this on IGN boards. Here nobody will even notice.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I can't have an oppinion on a game I havent played yet. It looks cool, but that dont mean mean shit to me.
I'm not sure what this thread is really for, but thats my anwser. I'll play it if I get around to it.
Hype is for pussies.
Give us something that we can be for or against.
Otherwise your just taking us for fools.
(p.s. I've never had a bad thing to say about this game, but this thread is turning me off right quick)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:

I can't believe how some people are defending and praising him just because he works in the industry.

Seriously, this is a dumb thread. He hasn't even made clear what "well received" means. An average of 51% could be considered well received.

Personally, I don't see this game being good. Eternal Darkness made me love SK, but immediately lost me when they managed to make a remake of MGS boring.

Still want ED2 though

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SuperEnemyCrab said:

When your actual livelihood is so strongly connected to the venue in which you voice your opinions, it's probably not particularly smart to be combative with your potential consumer base. I might be using too much logic here, though.

mm04

Nolan. said:
Because you can never be skeptical about a game and buy it nonetheless right.

There's a fine line between skepticism and outright trolling by people who just want the game to fail. If you know you're not one of them, then my comment doesn't apply to you. Let's be honest here, there's a lot of folks bashing the game who don't even own an Xbox 360. The only console/handheld I don't own this gen is a Wii. I'm not in Super Smash Brothers Brawl threads saying it's not a real fighter. Because if I did, I'd be trolling it.

gantz85 said:
Jellybrains like yours don't really get it. He WANTS the posters to take forum reputation seriously. It's the only reason and way that this thread would work. He did it to raise ire and cause a stir, for free publicity, for his ego, for many things. It might even make it on Kotaku.

Do you really need a dictionary to know what "fun" on a message board means? And of course he's doing this for publicity. And I find it funny as hell. I find this thread incredibly entertaining compared to the bull that gets tossed around here daily. I completely get it. Those who are taking offense are the ones that don't.

Speevy said:
I think overall everyone wants Dyack's game to be good because they love good games (duh), but they're also showing a modicum of respect, something which hasn't been shown in return.

Truth be told, Too Human could get solid 8s and people are going to rip it (and Dyack) to shreds. There are people who have taken freaking METAL GEAR SOLID 4 to task for its flaws. I seriously doubt Too Human is immune.

So if Too Human flops, does that mean you consider yourself a loyal member of the Sony family? It's the logical next step before cell phones.

:lol People have only wanted to hate on this game since the E3 showing, they never showed Dennis or a title any respect. Also the fact you think MGS is infallible is showing your massive bias given it's gameplay is barely above tolerable and pacing is pathetic despite it's innovative vision.

Philthy

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I love how bent out of shape some of you guys get when someone in the industry actually acts like a regular person. Talk about taking shit to seriously.

But all game developers wear thousand dollar suits and ties, and speak with a very formal British accent.

I mean, they make video games. What other line of work demands the highest standard of class? Tell me!

thetrin said:
I might be using too much logic here, though.

Or none at all.

Evlar

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
:lol People have only wanted to hate on this game since the E3 showing, they never showed Dennis or a title any respect. Also the fact you think MGS is infallible is showing your massive bias given it's gameplay is barely above tolerable and pacing is pathetic despite it's innovative vision.
But they have a REASON to hate. They were disappointed by the E3 showing. Some of them were bothered by the excuses made for that demo, too.

EDIT: I'm not saying their reason is correct. I'm saying it's not outrageous or incomprehensible.

Desi

Speevy said:
Bull? I am in the Against group and I got called out for "not knowing how to read" or something like that. Come on, trying to just get a middle ground for "best game I made, well received by media and gamers" puts it with a 93% average on mediacritic (to outdo Eternal Darkness) and shit ton of sales. Madden comes out in august and that could affect some of its sales that month or two.

thetrin said:
When your actual livelihood is so strongly connected to the venue in which you voice your opinions, it's probably not particularly smart to be combative with your potential consumer base. I might be using too much logic here, though.

I would agree if he was running all over the internet posting on every gaming forum with this challenge.

I dunno, I guess i just didn't take it as seriously as you guys. Seems more like a good natured challenge to GAF than anything else. I mean the guy makes one thread and gets fucking crucified....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom