• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nolan. said:
So is there anything this guy has done that you deem childish at all. His rant on egm and the ''you'll be sorry'' nonsense. His ice-bucket amusing blog entires, and numerous lol forum posts.

Oh I agree the post E3 ranting was a little much and some of his forum posts have been ill advised, but compared to the shit that flies here...

fin

Denis Dyack said:
I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year. I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made. I also believe the press and gamers alike will believe this. This puts me in the “For” camp.

I know there are many who feel strongly in opposite camp. I also would ask you to stand up and say “Against”.

These are the terms.

put up or shut up.

There are 2 types of people.

The first are the ones that will jump on anything Dyack says. Shit on every info about Too Human. Will troll every single Too Human thread...and then claim that Dyack is childish, Dyack is an ass, Dyack is fat, etc...these types are usually the majority but are a huge minority in this thread. (I wonder why)

The others are the ones that have heard all the shit talk against Too Human even though Silicon Knights have a very solid track record for and are rooting for this game even more BECAUSE of the first type of people.

As I said before, make it ABOVE 83% and sales greater than 700,000 by the end of the year.

You're all claiming how Dyack is not setting the groundlines of the bet. But inside of bringing that up, why don't you say what makes a game good? Is it because many of the games you guys praise only get low 80s as well?

Dever

Banned
If I'm not really interested in TH at all, does that make me against? I don't really feel like I'm "against" the game but whatever

Exis

Can I file under cautiously optimistic?

It will take a great story and compelling gameplay for me to like a diablo like game. I think the previous SK stuff was a cut above so am willing to give it a gander.

Nolan.

Francias Castiglione said:
Oh I agree the post E3 ranting was a little much and some of his forum posts have been ill advised, but compared to the shit that flies here...

Sure a lot of crap flies around here. However a lot of those people throwing around that kind of crap A) Are not heading development for an important game for an important client's portfolio. Therefore having no real responsibility of behaving decently seeing as your own image tends to form a person's opinon of your game slightly. Finally B) are characters only out to mainly evoke a reaction from the game's fans. Denis himself coming out to evidently display how much he's hurt by this says a lot to me. A friggin lot.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Dever said:
If I'm not really interested in TH at all, does that make me against? I don't really feel like I'm "against" the game but whatever
If you dont think the game will be "crap" then you shouldnt be "against".

MrHicks

Banned
wow this guy is arrogant as fuck

"my game will prob be the best of them all"

fucking hell this guys ego is huuuuuge

denis_smart.JPG

Sysgen

EviLore said:
Tag bets are lame, that's why. And it's not like we're even going to enforce this crap.

If Denis stepped up and bet me $1,000 that Too Human will get a final gamerankings aggregate above 90%, then maybe this thread would get interesting.

You should just charge him $1000 for making this thread. Since it's his game, the way I see it is that the thread is an advertisement.

Count me for a "For" btw. People in the industry work hard and all their games should do well.

C4Lukins

Dever said:

I think it is more about whether you think the game will be well received/ highly reviewed or not. Since Denis was not specific enough, it is ruining a lot of the fun that could be gleamed from such a bet. I think the reduction to only two player coop is a very bad omen for the game, but I remain hopeful. I am still waiting for reviews to decide on a purchase.

Denis Dyack said:
I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year. I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made. I also believe the press and gamers alike will believe this.

MrHicks said:

Don't be a little bitch. Put up or shut up.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MrHicks said:

When did he say that? He is just saying this is the best game he has developed (which is his personal opinion btw), and he is standing against the onslaught of trolling his game gets here. Oh sorry, its on 360, you gotta hate.

Walshicus

Sir Fragula said:
If we're doing charity bets, I wouldn't mind putting £10 or something in the ring for >80% if it goes to an international charity. Let's at least put this collective vitriol to good use.

Anyone?

Teknopathetic said:
Oh my I love you, Frag.

Note the choice of Comic Sans, since this thread has literally made what would normally be a soul-crushing day at work quite entertaining.

The parallels here between one of Smart's famous USENET flamefests and this thread are actually quite remarkable.

ToxicAdam

Kudos to Dyack for making this thread, very entertaining way to kill 30 minutes. :D

I'm against, by the way. At best it will be an EA-type genre game. One that feels like something you've played before, but completely unmemorable once you finish it.

Dina

Sysgen said:
You should just charge him $1000 for making this thread. Since it's his game, the way I see it is that the thread is an advertisement.

Having developers post on NeoGAF is part of the reason why it's such an unique forum.

godhandiscen said:
When did he say that? He is just saying this is the best game he has developed (which is his personal opinion btw), and he is standing against the onslaught of trolling his game gets here. Oh sorry, its on 360, you gotta hate.

Exactly, people like him do this ALL the time. And that's why they're being called out. They shit everything up and then blame Dyack and say he's the outrageous one. I mean, its not even close to what he said, but they twist it and make fun of him.

GAF as a collective is the type to make fat jokes against reviewers/devs they don't like, constantly start system wars everywhere, troll games as a collective hive mind, and then have the audacity to say that Denis is being childish. Pfftt, you come to GAF for this type of stuff exactly!

Amneisac

Well, to sidestep some of the shit-storm for a second...

I'm for the game. Even if it isn't the OMG BEST GAME EVAR I still think it's got a lot of good ideas going for it and I'd like to see more developers make co-op play at least a consideration in RPG-style games. *even only two player co-op!*

Every bit of it has sounded awesome listening to 1UP Yours...but then again, so did Hellgate. Granted, Too Human has been given a bit more personal demonstration, but as much as I love this type of game, I'll have to be cautiously optimistic about this one. Looking forward to it, but that demo better be stellar, seeing as it has been in the production cycle.

MrHicks

Banned
godhandiscen said:

did you even read his post?

"I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year."

Fragamemnon said:
Note the choice of Comic Sans, since this thread has literally made what would normally be a soul-crushing day at work quite entertaining.

The parallels here between one of Smart's famous USENET flamefests and this thread are actually quite remarkable.

Smart has NEVER made a good game though, that is the major difference. Dyack has a decent track record.

Plus I'm speculating here but I don't think Denis had a fight with a Coke machine.

This is really stupid.

I'm looking forward to Too Human - Eternal Darknes was one of my favorite games last gen. But this is really childish and a poor way of promoting your game.

Dever

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
If you dont think the game will be "crap" then you shouldnt be "against".

It's really hard to say for a game like Too Human. I don't like art and the combat seems lame, but who knows what kind of depth all the items and stats and classes etc will bring. You don't see those kind of things in short gameplay videos. I doubt the game will be a 90+, though.

Twig

Banned
Smart has NEVER made a good game though, that is the major difference. Dyack has a decent track record.

Plus I'm speculating here but I don't think Denis had a fight with a Coke machine.

That you know of.

Dina

MrHicks said:

"I feel Too Human is a great game, likely to be better than most that will come out this year."

Yet when David Jaffe is arrogant about his product, everyone just accepts it, or cheers at it, because 'that's how Jaffe is'.

I'm not defending him or Too Human, but GAF has a tendency of being biased beforehand when it comes to Dyack and his games.

This isn't about their track record, it's about behavior on a public forum. Seriously, go dig up some of Derek's greatest hits from the old comp.sys.ibm.pc.space-sim heydays and compare it to this thread, they have a lot of stuff in common.

What I wouldn't do for Denis Dyack's Desktop Commander.

Nolan.

Vast Inspiration said:
Exactly, people like him do this ALL the time. And that's why they're being called out. They shit everything up and then blame Dyack and say he's the outrageous one. I mean, its not even close to what he said, but they twist it and make fun of him.

GAF as a collective is the type to make fat jokes against reviewers/devs they don't like, constantly start system wars everywhere, troll games as a collective hive mind, and then have the audacity to say that Denis is being childish. Pfftt, you come to GAF for this type of stuff exactly!

Poor us poor us pour us another.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MrHicks said:

"likely to be better than most" is VERY different to "my game will prob be the best of them all"

I didn't even need to answer.

I want this game to be good. I'm going to go ni the "for" camp just because I think it's gutsy for your name's entire reputation to be put on the line with this single game--a game you feel abnormally confident with (as it shows). So, sure, "for." I hope for my sake AND your sake it delivers, though! :D

TheOneGuy said:
YES. PUT UP YOUR TAG.

BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT MAKES YOU A HARDASS.

A dozen posts with a lot of wit, but still can't write "for" or "against", can you?

Nolan. said:
Poor us poor us pour us another.

:lol You've been acting all butt-hurt because of Dyack comment's this entire thread. Shouldn't really be talking.

$1148 Jack said:
If he wants people to put up or shut up, he should put up 90% at metacritic.
If it's as good as he says it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think that's an impossible thing for the game to achieve, but I'm expecting when all is said and done for it to maybe have a 86-90%?

That has nothing to do with my expectations for the game of course, but that's just what I think the average of all reviews will end up at for the title. The nature of the gameplay, off the bat, wont be for everyone. It wont appeal to some people, but there are clearly many that it will appeal to. I think the trick for Too Human, however, is that for the story to be so well presented that even the people that would normally be turned off by a game with that type of gameplay will be interested in it

What I do feel confident about is that the type of gameplay in this game is something that could grow on even the most skeptical of gamers, which is why if everything is handled well by SK, this will be a real hit with gamers.

There is the rpg elements like hunting and gathering along with the pretty hefty customization. The balancing of all the various classes and their skills will be very important to this game's initial success and to it's long term success.

Clearly having not played the game, for all I know it could be far better than I'm even giving it credit for right now and I say someone that really wants this game and will get it regardless of what any of the reviews say.

Even so, I'm well aware of what aspects SK needs to hit out of the park or this game wont be received very well and the biggest critics will be seen as having been right all along. The story is a very vital aspect of that and so is the content of the game that will help to drive the gameplay. Missions you go on that are vital to the progression of the story have to be handled really well, but then there should always be good ones that simply serve to accommodate those that simply want to collect more weapons and other items or simply to just level up.

I'm not expecting a Metal Gear Solid 4 in terms of the impressiveness of cutscenes here, but a quality game is a quality game regardless of that, in some aspects, it doesn't set new standards that should be surpassed. With how important this game is to Denis and the rest of SK, I have no doubt of the level of care that will have been put into this game.

The true test of how successful this game will be is for it to end up being even better than what my expectation for it currently is. I'm expecting a fantastic game and all SK have to do now is beat even those expectations because I'm notorious for underestimating just how good games I look forward to can end up being. I don't do this on purpose, but I always find that my pre-launch expectations aren't nearly as grandiose as what I end up getting.

There have been cases though where I'm expecting far more than I should have and got disappointed, but I don't think that will be the case with this game. Critics of this game have some valid complaints because a lot of it really will come down to personal taste. I may like what I see and some others may not even if a great number of people tend to exaggerate bigtime on their criticisms :)

Edit :: Frag there has been absolutely nothing wrong with Denis' forum behavior. It's the forum behavior of some of the posters in previous Too Human threads that should be on trial here. He has only ever tried to defend his work or try to help people better understand what he and his team were trying to do and has often done so respectfully with a lot of class even if the people he was speaking weren't deserving of such.

Fragamemnon said:
This isn't about their track record, it's about behavior on a public forum. Seriously, go dig up some of Derek's greatest hits from the old comp.sys.ibm.pc.space-sim heydays and compare it to this thread, they have a lot of stuff in common.

What I wouldn't do for Denis Dyack's Desktop Commander.

Derek Smart! Derek Smart! DEREK SMART!

Anyways, thinking about it, the 1000$ bet with the winner donating it to charity seems a great choice. Denis Dyack seems like a man that puts his money where his word is. Time to see it literally.

Evilore, make it happen!

Kafel

Banned
Title-editing has been pretty lame lately. It seems strange but I was waiting for Dyack to reply, I saw it coming.

But not that awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom