• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human – Stand and be counted

Status
Not open for further replies.

hclflow

ShockingAlberto said:
Regardless of how good or bad the game is, acting like a fucking unprofessional baby for some sort of internet toughguy comeuppance has caused me to lose any respect I might have had for Dyack.

He's that asshole in the office that demands high-fives for doing his job and holds grudges when you won't engage him in his primordial victory flesh slaps. He cares more about what people think about him and how badass he can be perceived than he does maintaining any sort of professional aura about himself.

What a goddamn child.

Oh, it's pretty evident he's massively insecure about his work. It doesn't take balls to make a thread like this; it just takes a little emo-fit. Why else would he go to this length to validate himself and his work? He's turning Too Human into a referendum on his STREET CRED!

I'm actually not sure what's funnier, Dyack, or those taking this OH SO SERIAL.

Metal Messiah said:
Dear Denis,
this is Marco Accordi Rickards, editor of the Italian edition of Edge. I just wanted to cry out loud that I've been waiting for Too Human for more than 10 years and that I'm positive it's going to be an awesome masterpiece.
You are one of the best game developers ever, worldwide, and you should be proud of your work.

Ciao, Denis. Good luck!
Metalmark

Oh great, Edge Italy has already been moneyhatted....

I don't care one way or another about Too Human.

But this whole ban bets/tag bets/bumping 7 month old threads to gloat thing is getting really stupid. It's pretty much guaranteed that a thread will descend in idiocy the second someone suggests tying their forum status to the success/critical reception of a game.

pswii60

Eternal Darkness was awesome. And I loved PSO. Two reasons I'll be giving this game a serious shot.

Really though, I want to see this game do well critically and commercially just for the meltdowns. Although I was hoping for the same from HAZE, but that just didn't deliver.

Quazar said:
My point is, comparisons just don't make sense in my mind. I can't even put ME in the same genre as BG2. It's like comparing FFT to FF12.
I agree. Each game should be judged by how much fun you had playing it. This of course does not only depend on the game, but how and when you played.

Personally i think playing Mass Effect was my most enjoyable gaming experience in probably more than half a year. Heck i think i enjoyed it more than MGS4 simply because i wasn't worried whether i should wait for the 80GB bundle or just get the 40GB ps3 so i can play the damn game.

pswii60 said:
Although I was hoping for the same from HAZE, but that just didn't deliver.

Even my hope for a decent rental didn't pan out. I quit trying to play it after the first impossible car driving sequence.

DCharlie said:
I personally don't trust other gamers opinions (or very few) and i don't believe much i read in the games playing press either. I've found a lot of gams considered great games on gaf to be turgid, i've found a lot of games that are apparently rubbish and unplayable to be great... or at least not as bad as people would have you believe.

Everyones a critic and lets face it : even if TH turns out to be a fantastic game, it's doomed by platform for a whole raft of people . By the same token, the flip side set will rally and defend if the game isn't what people expect. The other guarantee is that any sane voices will be crushed under foot in the stupidity stampede.

All i can say is i'm buying the game and, as with every game i pick up, i'm hoping it'll be entertaining. So i guess essentially, as with every game i buy, i'm for it and i'll decide what i think of the game after a decent play through.

but Denis, just do what you do and keep on trucking. The sooner you stop caring about what GAF thinks, the better. I realised a long time ago that there's certainly battles that can't be won. This is one of them.

Good luck with the game!

Well put. What "the GAF" thinks should has very little relevance.

ShockingAlberto said:
Regardless of how good or bad the game is, acting like a fucking unprofessional baby for some sort of internet toughguy comeuppance has caused me to lose any respect I might have had for Dyack.

He's that asshole in the office that demands high-fives for doing his job and holds grudges when you won't engage him in his primordial victory flesh slaps. He cares more about what people think about him and how badass he can be perceived than he does maintaining any sort of professional aura about himself.

What a goddamn child.
Sorry dude. I have to leave the defense force. I just think that it's funny that he's gotten sucked this far into GAF's BS. A better answer might have been for him to invite GAF to come play Too Human offsite at E3. Given the chance for something viral to start. It wouldn't be too hard to set up either. A stack of DEV 360s, a bunch of TVs, a rented conference room, and a rent-a-cop.

shockingalbertodefenseforce.png

NO MORE

pswii60

EviLore said:
Still waiting, Denis. The challenge:

If Too Human has above a 90% aggregate on Gamerankings two weeks after release, I lose. If it's below 90%, you lose. The loser gives $1000 to the winner's choice of 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

Confident enough to stand by your "I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made" comment?
To be fair, "I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made" != "This is the best game we have ever made" or "This will be the most critically acclaimed game we have ever made".

Right? For a good cause though I suppose.

Zophar

Sorry but I'm not interested in a game that looks more pretentious than two Ayn Rand novels taped to a copy of Bioshock featuring an insert penned by L. Rob Hubbard.

pakkit

Banned

pswii60

Visualante said:
Hasn't editorial changed quite a bit since 2002? Is metascore really the fairest way to measure?
It's not good enough for XBLA delisting but it's good enough for EvilLore's challenge.

But we can't take this all too seriously, it's just a game and a gaming forum. All fun though and I think Dyack should take up the challenge as it's for a good cause.

"Hasn't editorial changed quite a bit since 2002? Is metascore really the fairest way to measure?"

At least some form of metric has actually been put on the table. Dyack's post for all its "ballsiness" had nothing but super vague bet terms. When posters pointed this out all they got was "put up or shut up."

If the game achieves over 80% average in reviews, surely that would be enough to feed a large plate of crow to those who seemingly would prefer it if this game turned out to be a disaster (and made themselves heard time and time again in every Too Human thread here).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
DCharlie said:
I personally don't trust other gamers opinions (or very few) and i don't believe much i read in the games playing press either. I've found a lot of gams considered great games on gaf to be turgid, i've found a lot of games that are apparently rubbish and unplayable to be great... or at least not as bad as people would have you believe.

Everyones a critic and lets face it : even if TH turns out to be a fantastic game, it's doomed by platform for a whole raft of people . By the same token, the flip side set will rally and defend if the game isn't what people expect. The other guarantee is that any sane voices will be crushed under foot in the stupidity stampede.

All i can say is i'm buying the game and, as with every game i pick up, i'm hoping it'll be entertaining. So i guess essentially, as with every game i buy, i'm for it and i'll decide what i think of the game after a decent play through.

but Denis, just do what you do and keep on trucking. The sooner you stop caring about what GAF thinks, the better. I realised a long time ago that there's certainly battles that can't be won. This is one of them.

Good luck with the game!

Applause, applause.

Learned a long time ago to not give a damn what certain people say on here - especially when you can clearly see that they do so because of the anonymity... it's the only way they can get some satisfaction I guess...

For every moronic poster on here, there's a few reasonable posters - it's just that the morons are more noticeable...

Denis, do your thing, and finish the game... despite being disappointed about it not being 4 player co-op anymore, I'm still looking forward to this game...

For.

ShockingAlberto said:

What a goddamn child.

Total fail on that one. You're trying too hard.

There are other developers that fit that description much more than Denis does.

Sounds like the only person holding a grudge is you. A bit too many positive reactions to this thread than you would like?

I wonder, what was your opinion when Jaffe talked about some poster's mother's clit being dry?

Not childish? Or maybe he's too cool for it to be considered childish or unprofessional?

Don't get me wrong, Jaffe is the man, but cut out the silly crap. The manufactured outrage over something as innocent as this thread only makes you look ridiculous.

Edit :: Love Evilore's challenge by the way and it goes to a good cause when all is said and done. Can't go wrong with that.

Flavius

EviLore said:
Still waiting, Denis. The challenge:

If Too Human has above a 90% aggregate on Gamerankings two weeks after release, I lose. If it's below 90%, you lose. The loser gives $1000 to the winner's choice of 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

Confident enough to stand by your "I certainly feel it is the best game we have ever made" comment?

Sounds fair to me. Nice wager.

For the record, I'm looking forward to seeing how the game turns out...but I'm not up for the lame "For" or "Against" bullshit. No disrespect.

I am all for any game that doesn't suck, and Too Human looks like a solid 8. I'll be getting it on release, but I really doubt the game will get above 90% on metacritic.

Quazar

iconoclast said:
I am all for any game that doesn't suck, and Too Human looks like a solid 8. I'll be getting it on release, but I really doubt the game will get above 90% on metacritic.

Yea, not seeing the 90%. If it does, I think everyone will be owned in a way.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm in the "Don't Care" category. I mean, if the game comes out and it's good, sure, that's fine and dandy. If it comes out and is horrible, then whatever.
What I REALLY want to know is if this game will be compatible with my PSone.

iconoclast said:

With a strong enough story and the content and solid gameplay to back it all up, it very well could.

There have been titles that weren't deserving of a 90% on metacritic that received such.

The kind of bet that Evilore proposed is one of those wagers where the loser really isn't losing at all. Giving to a charitable organization is what winners do.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I'm for it being good, but I'm not so convinced it will be. I don't own a 360, but if this game scores above a 9 on the metacritic average I will buy one. How's that for a real challenge with money on the line?

I think Denis deserves a totally ridiculous tag and a special day that Gaf celebrates every single year if this game does worse than a 9 on the metacritic average. That said, I love that you made this post Denis. Why should game makers be mature? He'd be a fucking accountant or something if he were mature. I demand more posts like this one, this is why I come to gaf.

Also the one console future is insanity and with God's will, won't ever happen. It sounds like a communist utopia, but it would be TERRIBLE for gamers as there would be no competition. Right now we're getting 360's and PS3's for less than what they cost to make. If there were a one console future, we'd be paying big bucks for the latest and greatest, and there would be little incentive to improve the infrastructure. It'd be great for people like Denis though, but I'm for the consumer and competition.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Francias Castiglione said:
I think we need to keep to major reviewers for this, little shitty Nintendo sites will surely decide to review Too Human to stick the boot in.
I'm fairly certain that Too Human isn't appearing on Wii

Timber

Fragamemnon said:
I think a lot of people-including you, obviously!-who played BG2 will think that Mass Effect is a great game that stands right beside that game and KOTOR as being some of Bioware's best. Mostly I think those kind of people play Bioware games for the story and characters.

There is a dissenting opinion on this though-for gamers like myself and EviLore, a huge part of the draw of BG2 was the large degree of character and party customization you could do (tons of stats, items, skills, class permutations, etc.) and the huge game world with a large amount of very intelligent side quests, all wrapped up in a deep, pausable real time combat system with a flexible and powerful ruleset that could be mercilessly exploited by both the monsters and your party.

It's in those areas where Mass Effect is absolute garbage compared to BG2. Almost insultingly so. So when you hear a CRPG enthusiasts deride Mass Effect, those are likely some of the reasons why.
I agree with this, but Mass Effect in itself is a great game. Bioware has been following a formula to the point that I'd almost consider Mass Effect to be Baldur's Gate 6. And yeah, it hardly compares. But it almost feels kind of unfair to me to compare their later games to Baldur's Gate 2. It's still the best RPG out there, but even though many elements of BG were present in their later games, I am glad they moved on, out of the Forgotten Realms D&D high fantasy bullshit (the reason I'm still not sure about Dragon Age), and gameplay-wise by doing the whole Action RPG thing, and although they stumbled into it with Jade Empire, Mass Effect's combat was highly original (though still being a "deep, pausable real time combat system"!) and very fun. Yeah it's no BG2, but every RPG is shit compared to BG2. Mass Effect is a good game for what it is.

The transition from static backgrounds to fully 3D environments and Bioware's choice to have every line of text voiced as opposed to a selection of them has led to games far less expansive than BG2. But I think, or at least I hope that they will catch up with the technology.

Anyway hell yeah! Too Human! This thread is damned crazy. I am for a demo.

Teknopathetic said:
At least some form of metric has actually been put on the table. Dyack's post for all its "ballsiness" had nothing but super vague bet terms. When posters pointed this out all they got was "put up or shut up."
Maybe, I can't see Denis accepting this because there's more at stake than the $1000. If Denis accepts then they have quite a challenge.

I think the average should only be taken only from sites and magazines who rated Eternal Darkness and Too Human. I'd be willing to do the complex equations as an independent.

C4Lukins

Francias Castiglione said:
I think we need to keep to major reviewers for this, little shitty Nintendo sites will surely decide to review Too Human to stick the boot in.

That is what I was thinking. Pick ten of the more respected sites/ publications and go with that.

CowboyAstronaut said:
Total fail on that one. You're trying too hard.

There are other developers that fit that description much more than Denis does.

Sounds like the only person holding a grudge is you. A bit too many positive reactions to this thread than you would like?

I wonder, what was your opinion when Jaffe talked about some poster's mother's clit being dry?

Not childish? Or maybe he's too cool for it to be considered childish or unprofessional?

Don't get me wrong, Jaffe is the man, but cut out the silly crap. The manufactured outrage over something as innocent as this thread only makes you look ridiculous.

Edit :: Love Evilore's challenge by the way and it goes to a good cause when all is said and done. Can't go wrong with that.
I stay out of the Jaffe sycophancy threads since the last time I bitched about how unprofessional he is and got leaped on.

Try again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom