• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky preview & hands on at The Verge

todahawk

linky: http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/1/5856718/no-mans-sky-preview

excerpt:
No Man’s Sky spurns the conventional structures of pre-written narratives, set-piece action sequences, and discrete levels. There are no quests in this game. You don’t go planet-hopping to find a damsel or a merchant in distress and then fetch them three healing salves and four wolf pelts of varying colors. In fact, at the outset, you can’t hop very far at all. Each player is handed only the bare necessities for survival, dropped onto a planet on the rim of a galaxy, and left to his or her own devices. A basic life pod will putter you up to the nearest space station where you can begin to figure out how to get such devices, upgrade them, and do something useful or interesting with your life. Most people will start by either mining resources or trying their luck as a bounty hunter or freight security guard. What career paths lie beyond those basic professions is part of the exploration you’ll have to do.

Exploring the colorful planet from the company’s demo reel, I scanned a mossy cave for resources, scared away a few deer scampering about bright-orange underbrush, and got carried away with my jetpack.

got carried away with my jetpack.

shuttle me up to the tet if already posted...

edit:
tons of pics at this follow-up article & behind the scenes http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/1/5860418/behind-the-scenes-at-hello-games-makers-of-no-mans-sky

some of my favs
z206-23_1532vs_verge_super_wide.jpg

morpheus sighting! (thx ichtyander & SolidSnakex)

detective gaf ichtyander transcribed the sticky notes on post #44

Jme

Minecraft in the stars? Starcraft? Ohwait...

Sounds a lot like starbound - but with more depth and you know, better looking.

The developers have set themselves a 90–10 rule. 90 percent of all the planets will not be habitable and won’t have any life on them. Of the 10 percent that do, 90 percent of that life will be primitive and boring. The tiny fraction of garden worlds with more evolved life forms on them will thus be almost as rare in the game universe as they ought to be in the real one. This scarcity is part of the delicate balance that Hello Games is trying to strike between its idealistic commitment to the science of sci-fi and the inherent need to keep players entertained.

Hmm, so only 10% or the planets will have flora and fauna like the planet shown in the E3 trailer? I hope the other 90% look as nice, even though it'll only be rocks and stuff.

ironcreed

Banned
This game is going to amazing just for the exploration, resource management and survival. Basically a game that you can just spend countless hours screwing around with. Kind of like in a Minecraft sort of way.

ironcreed

Banned
Hmm, so only 10% or the planets will have flora and fauna like the planet shown in the E3 trailer? I hope the other 90% look as nice, even though it'll only be rocks and stuff.

Sean Murray said that the deeper you go into the galaxy, the stranger and more alien things become. I'm expecting to see some weird stuff.

cakely

So this is basically Eve in a sense but cooler? Sign me up.

As an EVE player I can say that that description sounds nothing at all like EVE.

At its core No Man's Sky sounds like Minecraft. The player is plopped down in an enormous universe full of potential and goes forward to make his dent on the world, without any quest-givers or plot to push him along.

I'm a big fan of Minecraft so I'm completely OK with this. :)

Hoodbury

So it does sound like you can run into other players, it's just the chance of that happening is extremely small.
A single universe will be shared by all players of No Man’s Sky, though they’ll be so distant from one another that coming across some other player-controlled spaceship will feel like a truly noteworthy event. As Murray explains, "people underestimate how vast our (in-game) universe is. If we were lucky enough to have a million players and started them all on one planet, they would still be really far apart." So the enormous cluster battles of EVE Online are unlikely to ever materialize in No Man's Sky.

Salex_

Will each planet be like a massive server?

I remember reading this.
"Some people think this is an MMO. This is the opposite of an MMO," he said.

"We're doing the worst thing possible - we're taking all the players who play and we're flinging them across the universe, just scattering them."

You will be able to play with other people, of course, it's just not very likely you'll encounter them in the first place. No Man's Sky could end up being the loneliest multiplayer game in existence.

"There are elements where you'll get crossover and interaction with other players, but that's not what this game is about," Murray added.

"You can interact - you can interact in significant ways. But that's not what's core to the game."
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/11/mans-sky-worst-thing-possible-mmo-fans
And sounds like it's basically a MMO. The chances of finding another player is just rare since they're scattered across the universe.

todahawk

As an EVE player I can say that that description sounds nothing at all like EVE.

At its core No Man's Sky sounds like Minecraft. The player is plopped down in an enormous universe full of potential and goes forward to make his dent on the world, without any quest-givers or plot to push him along.

I'm a big fan of Minecraft so I'm completely OK with this. :)

not sure if dr. kitty up above was referring to this in the article but here's another snip:
...people underestimate how vast our (in-game) universe is. If we were lucky enough to have a million players and started them all on one planet, they would still be really far apart." So the enormous cluster battles of EVE Online are unlikely to ever materialize in No Man's Sky.

that bolded part blew me away. the planets are that freakin big? i didn't get that sense from the vids but damn...

Jet packs don't make everything better.
Halo.
but it should help with exploration.

J3ffro

When do they start selling that service where you get put into a coma until this game comes out?

I have too many commitments to sign up for that, but part of me wants to.

Damn jetpacks.

Symbiotx

I can't help but think that because there's so little actual gameplay that people are filling in what they want the game to be.

As big as this game is, the hype is already much bigger.

EGM1966

Man eveything i hear just makes me want this more. If this and Elite pan out im going to have my gaming hands full for a very long time.

Tellaerin

Will each planet be like a massive server?

I remember reading this.
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/11/mans-sky-worst-thing-possible-mmo-fans
And sounds like it's basically a MMO. The chances of finding another player is just rare since they're scattered across the universe.

This sounds awesome. Instead of the usual MMO experience, actually running into someone else out there becomes an event, something you're going to remember and tell other people about. And when chance meetings are so rare, it becomes less likely that someone's first impulse is going to be to gank the other guy for his stuff rather than say hi.

Hoodbury

This sounds awesome. Instead of the usual MMO experience, actually running into someone else out there becomes an event, something you're going to remember and tell other people about. And when chance meetings are so rare, it becomes less likely that someone's first impulse is going to be to gank the other guy for his stuff rather than say hi.

Watch there be a glitch in the code on launch day and everyone spawns in the same spot.

Damaniel

Banned
that bolded part blew me away. the planets are that freakin big? i didn't get that sense from the vids but damn...

I get the impression they mean 'if we stick each person on their own single planet, they'll still be far apart because there are so many planets in the universe.' Slightly less impressive, but still very, very impressive.

todahawk

I get the impression they mean 'if we stick each person on their own single planet, they'll still be far apart because there are so many planets in the universe.' Slightly less impressive, but still very, very impressive.

derp, you're right and that's in line with what they've said before. i think it's just worded a bit weird.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Everything about this game sounds amazing, but I'm highly skeptical of the small team's ability to deliver something of that scale and still fill with content to sustain everyone's interest to stick around and evolve the game universe.

Pretty sure it'll be AI pirates and such because they do have a quest system just none of it is required

I think I'll rush engine speed and sell the tech to the people I'll reach heh

Amir0x

Banned
This is a rare game that sounds BETTER the more I read about it. God there's so much that can go wrong here, I hope it's the dream it sounds

Quoting my post from the other thread:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that they have a Morpheus headset in the photo gallery

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/30/5856830/no-mans-sky-photo-gallery

I didn't even notice the photo gallery, awesome stuff, thanks! Morpheus support pretty much confirmed then? I don't own a PS4 but man, I hope they'll have Rift support as well for us PC folk. Just imagining that something like NMS could be my first VR experience sounds incredibly exciting.

Btw, I went all detective GAF on that gallery, enlarged and enhanced the blackboard with the post-it notes and here's what's there:

F1 -
F2 -
F3 - Deer
F4 -
F5 - Fleet
F6 - Drone
F7 - Enemy
F8 - Beast
F9 -
F10 - Wingmen
F11 -

DONE:
-Trade ship on planets
-Work really really really hard
-Buildings
-Toxic planets
-Trade route based AI ship spawning
-Tracking discoveries

IN PROGRESS:
-Galactic map
-Better heavy air/volumetric effects
-Loading voxel objects
-Beacons & points of interest on planets
-Tracking objects on planets
-Storing progress
-Inventory/resource screens

OTHER:
-Faster build process
-Clean up IMGUI(?)
-Dynamic lights
-Ship wrecks
-SLI support
-Mini map
-Torch
-Shooting mechanics, ground & ship
-Warping (walking?) in space
-Clean up keyboard controls and shortcuts
-Planet + space dog fighting AI
-Make addnodes faster
-Ship entering + taking off
-Generating complete *snipped-off*

Also, gotta get my hands on some of those sci-fi art books.

Seems like verdant planets will be on the rare side...

The other name that No Man’s Sky inevitably brings to mind is Spore, the genre-bending game from SimCity creator Will Wright that first introduced procedurally generated games — which dynamically create their worlds through algorithms rather than human design — to the mainstream. Murray describes that Maxis title as a millstone around his neck that gave games like the one he is building a bad name. It made everything fantastical. Every planet was lush, with a thriving ecosystem of spectacular and weird creatures. That’s what the trailer for No Man’s Sky depicts too — with fluorescent dinosaurs grazing alongside space antelopes — but Murray says that will be a very uncommon sight in his game.

The developers have set themselves a 90–10 rule. 90 percent of all the planets will not be habitable and won’t have any life on them. Of the 10 percent that do, 90 percent of that life will be primitive and boring. The tiny fraction of garden worlds with more evolved life forms on them will thus be almost as rare in the game universe as they ought to be in the real one. This scarcity is part of the delicate balance that Hello Games is trying to strike between its idealistic commitment to the science of sci-fi and the inherent need to keep players entertained.

Zomba13

When this game is out we will need to decide on a GAF homeworld and give out the co-ords or map location or whatever in the OT and see if we can all meet up there.

Top Bottom