• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher: Battle Arena announced (MOBA, CD Projekt/Fuero, iOS/AND/WP)

kurahador

Demit CD Projeckt...

H8UT7j9.gif

ChipotIe

Banned
Because the genre is bloated; aside from DOTA/LoL/Smite/HotS do they really need to segment these communities more?

It's popular.

I wouldn't say it's bloated.

Dota ROC/Dota Allstars/HoN/Dota 2 are all different versions of the exact same game with some minor differences here and there. Been playing that for like a decade and I'm just tired of the same shit over and over again.

LoL was different and it had it's own sense of balance. 10-20 min laning phase, magic scaling, brush.... it had a lot of cool things going for it. But after 3000 matches even that too got stale for me.

So as a non MLG moba player looking for something interesting and new (and still regularly updated, because regular maintenance to balance is key for a good moba) what is there for me?

Not much. I say if other companies can get mobas off the ground then I will gladly try them out. Because as far as LoL and dota goes I'm done.

mlin

CD Projekt RED
First of all, thanks for your feedback, everyone!

To be perfectly honest, we would have to be crazy not to predict that some of you (i.e. hardcore gamers and fans of The Witcher) might be a bit confused by us working on a MOBA game. Thing is, we do love to try out new things, and we do need to constantly reach out to other gamers not familiar with The Witcher series.

As for Battle Arena being a freemium, pay-a-crapton-of-gems-to-even-play kind of thing. It will not. Our vision is to give you a free game, with everything unlockable via gameplay (and no, you won't have to play 10 years to do it), and the only place money comes in is when you want to unlock stuff faster (vanity items, skins etc.).

Long story short: it's free, so you can try it and you don't loose anything. It's super-honest by design and it doesn't derail The Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077 development, as it's designed by us, and developed by Fuero Games.

By the way, closed beta launches soon. I'll give you a shout when it does, so we can invite some of you to participate and you'll be able to see if it's worth it.

MCD

To be perfectly honest, we would have to be crazy not to predict that some of you (i.e. hardcore gamers and fans of The Witcher) might be a bit confused by us working on a MOBA game. Thing is, we do love to try out new things, and we do need to constantly reach out to other gamers not familiar with The Witcher series.

As for Battle Arena being a freemium, pay-a-crapton-of-gems-to-even-play kind of thing. It will not. Our vision is to give you a free game, with everything unlockable via gameplay (and no, you won't have to play 10 years to do it), and the only place money comes in is when you want to unlock stuff faster (vanity items, skins etc.).

Long story short: it's free, so you can try it and you don't loose anything. It's super-honest by design and it doesn't derail The Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077 development, as it's designed by us, and developed by Fuero Games.

By the way, closed beta launches soon. I'll give you a shout when it does, so we can invite some of you to participate and you'll be able to see if it's worth it.

Thanks for the WP version. You are doing more than MS with regards to WP gaming.

Thanks for the WP version. You are doing more than MS with regards to WP gaming.

Yep, same here. Announcing a Windows Phone version right upfront is great. I'm so used to seeing every announcement for mobile just include iOS and Android, it felt refreshing to see Windows Phone included. Means I won't be left out if I want to try it. Philippa Eilhart shall be mine... to play with.

I didn't ask for this. Nobody asked for this.

I kid. If it's okay by CD Projekt it's okay by me. I won't play it but I hope it does well for them. I'll never be against CD Projekt getting some more cash in their pockets.

Hey, great stuff you posted here.

I have a question. First, excuse my poor knowledge of how art and development of game/engine works, but I was wondering, how much easier it is to create a moba in the Witcher universe, considering you guys are full production on Witcher 3 ? I mean, there are TONS of characters arts, textures maybe even models or animation you could use by scaling scale down, same for the environement or not that much at all and re did everything as it's totally different scale ?

CD Projekt WHY!?

I mean, I get that the Mobile market MIGHT not be full of them, but c'mon guys DOTA2 and LoL ain't going nowhere.

It's the exact same as watching companies bash their heads against the brick wall that was WoW: no dents, but lots of dead braincells.

EDIT:
This sounds good at least

Okay, this is pretty cool.

boskee

It's funny how things change at CD Projekt:

Free additions to retail games may be part of CD Projekt's playbook, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's interested in joining the growing free-to-play market. Tomaszkiewicz explained that microtransactions would ruin the carefully crafted atmosphere of CD Projekt's games.

Source

mlin

CD Projekt RED
Hey, great stuff you posted here.

I have a question. First, excuse my poor knowledge of how art and development of game/engine works, but I was wondering, how much easier it is to create a moba in the Witcher universe, considering you guys are full production on Witcher 3 ? I mean, there are TONS of characters arts, textures maybe even models or animation you could use by scaling scale down, same for the environement or not that much at all and re did everything as it's totally different scale ?

Thanks!

In essence, creating mobile games and creating games for "big" platforms is quite different. We're (or rather Fuero Games, who are doing most of the footwork) not scaling things down, we're creating them from scratch.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, I still haven't been invited to the Heroes of the Storm beta, so I would gladly give this a shot.

Shengar

Moba is the new mmo. Companies want these fat stacks of cash valve and riot ate making. Though I doubt any of these other Mobas will be successful.

Yeah, MOBA usually have high skill ceiling. Because of that, people most of that would mostly invested their time and dedication on one or two existing game that already popular. Companies might and could try their luck on any existing genre for a share, but MOBA is an exception.

eznark

Banned
Will play as Zoltan. Will not enjoy it,

Or maybe I will. There was a pretty good MOBA on iOS last year, can't remember the name for the life of me.

megalowho

Not convinced on touch controls being a good fit for the genre, but I'll give it a look for sure. I trust them on the F2P front at least, hopefully this ends up as an example of how to approach that model the right way.

Yeah, MOBA usually have high skill ceiling. Because of that, people most of that would mostly invested their time and dedication on one or two existing game that already popular. Companies might and could try their luck on any existing genre for a share, but MOBA is an exception.

The two behemoths are so entrenched as major e-sports that no copycat has any reasonable chance of attracting a notable audience.

Making a MOBA in 2014 is like starting a football league in 2001.

vince-mcmahon.jpg

eznark

Banned
The two behemoths are so entrenched as major e-sports that no copycat has any reasonable chance of attracting a notable audience.

vince-mcmahon.jpg

I'm sure that went into their choice of platform.

ChipotIe

Banned

You know there once was a time where people said that about LoL. Before Dota 2 was a thing HoN was the unofficial Dota 2 since it had literal carry-overs and people said LoL was crazy by going against the format and creating new items/ spells/ mechanics/ and a new map from scratch on top of having silly characters like funny scarecrow man and little girl.

Now look at what it's become.

PFD

Thanks for this post, and it's great to see someone from CDPR posting here :)

Thanks!

In essence, creating mobile games and creating games for "big" platforms is quite different. We're (or rather Fuero Games, who are doing most of the footwork) not scaling things down, we're creating them from scratch.

Interesting. THanks for hte answer ! Good luck to you guys nd to Fuero for this. Looking forward to see more. More Witcher can't be bad.

You know there once was a time where people said that about LoL. Before Dota 2 was a thing HoN was the unofficial Dota 2 since it had literal carry-overs and people said LoL was crazy by going against the format and creating new items/ spells/ mechanics/ and a new map from scratch on top of having silly characters like funny scarecrow man and little girl.

Now look at what it's become.

It's a different world. MOBAs were still niche back then. HoN was never as big as DotA and it certainly wasn't anywhere near where LoL is now.

Aselith

Do you buy the heroes?

Alric

God, how sick i'd be to my stomach if it ends up generating more money than the Witcher Games combined. While I'm sure the money would help them greatly, I'd still have to shake my head.

Top Bottom