• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More on Xbox 360 installs: full install takes 10 minutes, 30% decrease in load times

herod

can't see why piracy would increase. You still need the disc in. They're not going to stop doing piracy checks on it.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Since I just bought a 20gb, I'll just always install the game I'm currently playing. I usually only play one game at a time, so hopefully this should work out. I love this full install thing, it was a brilliant move by Microsoft.

diss

Banned
i'll love it when this comes out and the 50 bazillion idiots who cannot read properly decide to go to rent out a bunch of games thinking you can install it and return it thinking your genius scheme is a limitless supply of free games

for the nth time bitches, you still need the goddamn disc in the drive

f3niks

MrNyarlathotep said:
Can't wait to play Mass Effect without shitty stop-start play times!

I think this will be the first game i'll try it with as well. I'll miss the shorter elevator rides. Oblivion also wouldn't be a bad choice for this.

drakesfortune said:
Since I just bought a 20gb, I'll just always install the game I'm currently playing. I usually only play one game at a time, so hopefully this should work out. I love this full install thing, it was a brilliant move by Microsoft.
Ditto. I'll probably keep Halo 3 always installed (still play it all the time), and then install whichever new game I'm playing at the moment.

Quieter 360 makes me very happy! :D

I'll try it out with Crackdown, which for some reason works my disc drive harder than any other game I own.

pr0cs

Revengeance said:
I'll try it out with Crackdown, which for some reason works my disc drive harder than any other game I own.

Streaming.
Probably most sandbox type games will benefit the most from the HDD install (Saint's Row, GTA4, Crackdown, Mercs2).
Those and UE3.0 games that use streaming for texture/geom loading.

Brashnir

sionyboy said:
Day one, Forza 2 gets put onto my hard drive.

Then Mass Effect.

Then Dead Rising.

Rock Band, Civ Rev and Forza for me. Probably won't install most games, though. Just the ones I come back to frequently and either have long load times or thrash the drive a lot.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
sevenchaos said:
Sounds good to me. Now release a cheaper hard drive.

Hahah, that's never going to happen.

Kudos to MS for adding this, although it's probably quite strategic on their part. It will probably allow their boxes to last longer before dying.

Philthy

This will pretty much kill my most hated aspect of the 360, so I'm all for it. I absolutely cannot stand how loud the drive is on this machine. It makes me want to stab my eyes out. I'll put up with a 10 minute rip for a 80% reduction is random noise. The trade off is worth it.

hulot

herod said:
70ubuo.png

I was going to type something out but this picture would probably get through thicker skulls better. And for those of you wondering about the short times, I'm sure it's part PR and part the fact that it's not installing the game but ripping the image. If any of you have done image copies on computers, you'll get it.

And DMC4 was just a shoddy port. Huge, lengthy install for something that performed little to no better than on the disc only 360 version. Also, for PS3 shills in here, nobody complained about Folklore's optional install. Think about it.

TomServo

Dr_Cogent said:
Hahah, that's never going to happen.

I'm wondering if the standalone 20GB will be replaced by a standalone 60GB for $99. I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't make the 60GB available at retail though, and keeps the 20GB price at $100 until their stocks are cleared.

Had I gotten in my time machine and seen this coming, I probably would have sprung for an Elite. Like I said earlier, with 13GB usable on the 20GB drive and images apparantly clocking in around 6.8GB, us Premium / Pro owners get to install one game.

TomServo said:
I'm wondering if the standalone 20GB will be replaced by a standalone 60GB for $99.

According to the rumours, that will be the case. 60gb HDD + 3 Months XBL Gold + Wired headset = $99. 120gb hdd getting reduced to $149.

Of course, rumours, so beware!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
TomServo said:
I'm wondering if the standalone 20GB will be replaced by a standalone 60GB for $99. I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't make the 60GB available at retail though, and keeps the 20GB price at $100 until their stocks are cleared.

Had I gotten in my time machine and seen this coming, I probably would have sprung for an Elite. Like I said earlier, with 13GB usable on the 20GB drive and images apparantly clocking in around 6.8GB, us Premium / Pro owners get to install one game.

I doubt they'll be in a rush to do that, seems like the profit margin on the HDDs is huge.

tanod

when is my burrito
PARANO1A said:
So DMC4 installs the whole game to the HDD? There's no disc reading at all once the install is done?

I'm pretty sure it does, with the exception of the movies. It only loads when a cutscene is about to play.

EDIT: Also, I think Sony fans found their new IN-GAME XMB!!11!!!!1! I'd definitely buy a 250 or 500 GB hard drive if it mean I could install all my PS3 games. Since the 360 HDD are so damn expensive, I'll just stick with my 20GB for now.

Philthy said:
This will pretty much kill my most hated aspect of every console that's come out since the Playstation, so I'm all for it. I absolutely cannot stand how loud the drive is on this machine. It makes me want to stab my eyes out. I'll put up with a 10 minute rip for a 80% reduction in random noise. The trade off is worth it.
fixed.

qirex99

Banned
Meier said:
It would be super sweet if they offered some sort of trade-in to get a new HD...offer a rebate for existing owners or something.. :(
why?

are you serious?

get a job...stop playin games...

nib95 said:
EDIT: Also, here's waiting for the 360 fans to make a big thing out of longer installs on the PS3. The same fans who before criticised and hated the idea of installs when it was originally a PS3 only feature. But alas, being "optional" suddenly makes it better, even if when given the option, these same people always choose to install either way lol.

It's not "suddenly". Both 360 fans AND PS3 fans were complaining about forced installs on consoles. Optional is all some people were asking for.

sionyboy said:
According to the rumours, that will be the case. 60gb HDD + 3 Months XBL Gold + Wired headset = $99. 120gb hdd getting reduced to $149.

Of course, rumours, so beware!

Its not even a rumor anymore is it? I'm pretty sure MS confirmed that the price drop for 20 = only while supplies last and that the 60 gb is replacing it.

Anyways optional install is always better than mandatory install.

nib95 said:
Great that Microsoft have finally caught on to the install thing. Now I can put my Elite 120GB space to use. One thing though, are all games going to be full installs and not partial? Or will we have the option for either or? Sounds great though, 30% imo is a big deal.

EDIT: Also, here's waiting for the 360 fans to make a big thing out of longer installs on the PS3. The same fans who before criticised and hated the idea of installs when it was originally a PS3 only feature. But alas, being "optional" suddenly makes it better, even if when given the option, these same people always choose to install either way lol.

And here's where the PS3 fan passes off MS surpassing their favourite brand as MS merely catching up. Also they fail to comprehend the difference between full and partial installs, not to mention they being far more significant on the 360 given it will stop it sounding like a jet-engine.

sableholic said:
Its not even a rumor anymore is it? I'm pretty sure MS confirmed that the price drop for 20 = only while supplies last and that the 60 gb is replacing it.

Although the news about 60gb premium replacing the 20gb has been confirmed, I don't think they've confirmed anything about the standalone 60gb retail pack... unless I missed it of course.

JBuccCP

Now all we need is an official Xbox 360 15 disk DVD changer and we'll never have to get up again.

I only have a 20 though. And I don't think I have enough space left for even one game. And I'm sure as fuck not paying MS's ridiculous prices for their drives. Oh well.

stuminus3 said:
Awesome to the max.

Makes me not want to play my 360 until this is released.

I hate it when that happens.

I've put Mass effect on the back burner, i'm going to limit it to 2 hours a week until the update!

i wonder if a full install of Dead Rising will remove the food court survivor glitch on day 4.

edit: i wonder if sony, with a much more accesible hardrive situation, will let the system rip the Iso, because the 360 isnt really installing as much as its ripping the image, which should take significantly less time than an install. if sony steps up to the plate. i would be very happy. 250gig hds arent that expensive, or if you could buy the game of the marketplace so the disc doesnt have the padded info and repeats for better load times. sony you can win this, or at least try.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
JBuccCP said:
Now all we need is an official Xbox 360 15 disk DVD changer and we'll never have to get up again.

I only have a 20 though. And I don't think I have enough space left for even one game. And I'm sure as fuck not paying MS's ridiculous prices for their drives. Oh well.
Delete 5 demos, stream music and films via network instead of saving them to the 360's hd, delete all those trailers you watched half a year ago, done.

It would be cool if they allowed publishers to give out digital licenses with their games, allowing full installs and connecting to Live instead of having disc in system.

Son of Godzilla said:
It would be cool if they allowed publishers to give out digital licenses with their games, allowing full installs and connecting to Live instead of having disc in system.

and send your disc in like UPS code.... right. 360 cd keys ftw.

Son of Godzilla said:

Thats got to be next on the list, keeps retailers happy and no doubt MS and the devs will make some money on the license key microtransaction!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
At that speed for a full disc (I assume that DMC4 was a game that took up all of the space), some games are smaller and will be faster, and it's all optional - love it...

Why people are bringing up boo-hoo stories about the PS3 install times are beyond me - the reason people said that they were stupid were because they were mandatory on a console - not just of some silly conspiracy ideas as always...

Now I really have to look into the whole "self-upgrade to 120 GB" thing, as I still only own a 20GB from launch - very interested now that it does it so fast, so that I can bring home a new game, play, save, and then install while on a break or asleep or something...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Son of Godzilla said:

Gotta save something for next gen.

Jonnyram

For those interested, it was mentioned on Game Watch, the Japanese site, that Lost Odyssey install takes up 10 GB. I dunno how, but I guess a LOT of the content of each disc is duplicated, like the PS-era FF games.

mr_bishiuk said:
The disc is required in the drive at all times for about the billionth time

Well, right, but if the drive is already hacked to disregard whether or not the game is burned to a disc, then perhaps they won't need to even burn the disc.

Won't mean much unless they hack the HDD to somehow be able to just dump the iso to the drive, but it's a step in that direction.

Loudninja

Jonnyram said:
For those interested, it was mentioned on Game Watch, the Japanese site, that Lost Odyssey install takes up 10 GB. I dunno how, but I guess a LOT of the content of each disc is duplicated, like the PS-era FF games.

DAMN

Jonnyram said:

Well now, that changes things a bit.

I wonder how much of that is going on with other games?

Very good. I'll definitely be using it on games that want to really test my disc drive. Crackdown, GTA IV, Burnout Paradise, and pretty much constantly streaming games. Also UE3 games like Mass Effect. Halo takes a while to load maps, I'll do that to. Wait let me just install everything :p.

Now to look for a decent deal on a 120gb...

Jonnyram said:
Is that tested? Because that's not just a rip, that's a proper install.

Psychotext said:
Is that tested? Because that's not just a rip, that's a proper install.

Good point, the system would obviously be altering the .iso's to remove the dupe content, so it's more like an intelligent rip.

Top Bottom