• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlink your NN ID from you Wii U BEFORE you sell/get rid of it, obviously

Korezo

Can you unlink? I think you can only remove id, but you will always stay linked to the console unless you call support. Anyway I called a 2nd time to transfer my account and they told me it has been transferred already 4 times which was bs and that I had already reached the limit, that for another transfer I would have to wait 4 years and that they would happily do another transfer in the year 2018. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.. Fuck Nintendo, luckily I was smart enough to never purchase anything digital.. I had to create a new ID..

Foxix Von

Can you unlink? I think you can only remove id, but you will always stay linked to the console unless you call support. Anyway I called a 2nd time to transfer my account and they told me it has been transferred already 4 times which was bs and that I had already reached the limit, that for another transfer I would have to wait 4 years and that they would happily do another transfer in the year 2018. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.. Fuck Nintendo, luckily I was smart enough to never purchase anything digital.. I had to create a new ID..

As someone who just snagged a refurbed wii u I gotta say the system is one of the most amazingly archaic pieces of widely available consumer technology that I've ever seen. Everything, and I mean everything, from the user interface to the way the network is handled feels like it was built by some sort of lone, crazy programmer who's been holed up in a cell since 1999 and has never seen how modern consoles or network infrastructures operate.

It's almost beautiful in its brilliant ineptitude.

JLeack

Banned
Yup. This caused a big headache for me once I repurchased a Wii U. I couldn't use my Mario Kart 8 bundle for a week.

AzaK

As someone who just snagged a refurbed wii u I gotta say the system is one of the most amazingly archaic pieces of widely available consumer technology that I've ever seen. Everything, and I mean everything, from the user interface to the way the network is handled feels like it was built by some sort of lone, crazy programmer who's been holed up in a cell since 1999 and has never seen how modern consoles or network infrastructures operate.

It's almost beautiful in its brilliant ineptitude.
That is Nintendo in a nutshell. The out of touch nutjobs with no clue about almost anything relevant in the current times that have occasional flourishes of pure brilliance that keeps them in the public mind.

Shoyz

I can't buy any digital games on WiiU until they fix this, I had a WiiU basic and decided to reserve my usernames before selling it and upgrading to a Deluxe, and now I'm stuck with a placeholder.

I really hope you can unlink by the time Splatoon comes out.

AzaK

I can't buy any digital games on WiiU until they fix this, I had a WiiU basic and decided to reserve my usernames before selling it and upgrading to a Deluxe, and now I'm stuck with a placeholder.

I really hope you can unlink by the time Splatoon comes out.

I bet they'll never do it; at least with Wii U. They prefer to have control and don't want people to be able to manually shift ID's as they see fit. If you could you might end up unlinking from your machine, link to a friends machine and allow him to download and play your games! How terrible would that be!!

To put in all the safeguards to manage that would take time and effort and that equals money so Nintendo do the easiest, simplest but most restrictive thing they can and say "Please understand"

hEist

So, called with NoE today (finally got thru!)

"We don't do this"
- "NoA is doing it."
"Really? We don't have this information. Also i cannot find any information regarding this on there Homepage"
- "Check out the Techsupport Forum"
"Could you send us an e-mail with problem and also the links to the threads?"

So, i need to do the communication part for NoE and NoA? Seriously?
God d.... Great, would like to play Mario Kart Online/or download my free Pikmin...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I have first hand proof that NoE can do, from the e-mail conversation but it seems that they are very picky about it and you will need the luck to approach the right person.

I gotta be honest, i had given up on the whole NoE/NNiD stuff because i thought it just wasnt possible or forbidden for them, but seeing that they actually are able to transfer IDs pisses me really off. Especially when they are playing favorites with such a basic feature. You would think that they would treat their loyal customers better, especially when sorting out these NNiD problems would end in more purchases through the eShops.

hEist

Interesting so NOE can do it now maybe but more likely no.

I thought they were not allowed to open links...

Well, i think they somehow or other will ignore it anyway.
Thought a minute about contacting NoA, if they can do something. But most likely it will end with contacting amazon, to send it back.

I have first hand proof that NoE can do, from the e-mail conversation but it seems that they are very picky about it and you will need the luck to approach the right person.

might wanna share the e-mail?

hEist

sorry for the double post, but some news for the NoE peeps here:

they did it. after i send them the email, with the posts of the NoA Tech-Support Forum regarding the possibility of switching the NNiD's and also a lot of arguments:
- Previous purchase of New Super Mario Bros. U
- my 3DS got also the NNiD
- a joke about the cross-buy feature, since i will not be able to use
- "so i need 2 club nintendo's / 2 NNiD's accounts now"
etc.

they finally deactivated the old console and i could sign in on my new console today (it took them about 3 days). Also they say, that it is an exception on my case. But i think you just need to be patient and be insistent regarding this.

jesus, what a road trip. But finally i can use my Pikmin Code with the right user and also get my new super mario bros u back.

AND finally i can play Mario kart online.

wrowa

As silly as it sounds, don't call them. They can't help you by phone. You need to send them an e-mail to info@nintendo.de sent from the e-mail account you registered your NNID to and explain your problem in there. Normally, they'll be able to unlink the NNID then.

Might be more difficult if you aren't in Germany, though. But it might still be worth a try to write a mail to the .de mail if the local Nintendo subsidiary won't help you

MicH

jesus, what a road trip. But finally i can use my Pikmin Code with the right user and also get my new super mario bros u back.

AND finally i can play Mario kart online.
Absolutely ridiculous that it's such a hassle to get it done in Europe. For shame, NoE

Turrican3

Also they say, that it is an exception on my case.
For what is worth, this is exactly the same answer I got from Nintendo of Italy customer service back then when I was thinking about buying a black Wii and moving content from my day-one, white unit.

Seriously, they need to let the user do the transfer/deactivaction thing himself as soon as possible.

I understand this might involve some changes in the way their DRM system work, but it may be well worth it: there's waaaay too many people who state they're never ever going to bother with DD stuff on Nintendo platforms because of this thing, they can't be ignored anymore.

Psykotik

it worked! i got NOA to transfer my NNID from my old broken wii u to my new wii u!

some background: i had a US wii u but i live in asia. that wii u broke down. so then i bought a new wii u. NNID won't transfer though as it's locked to the broken wii u. so i email NOA support.

6OU.png

7OU.png

8OU.png

9OU.png

i'm so happy! now i'm able to redownload all my digital games and get the $48 that was stuck in the shop wallet back!

Rich!

So, here's my tale of woe:

I used to own a Wii U. Bought it on launch day, had to sell it earlier this year due to money issues. I kinda knew I'd lose the few games I had on it, but I assumed that as long as I unlinked my NNID from the console, I could reuse it in the future - which is obviously what I want, as I use it on my 3DS.

Two weeks ago, I bought a Wii U as a replacement. Tried adding my NNID...no. Not letting me. And yes, I did definitely unlink it.

Phoned Nintendo UK support. Got essentially told to sod off by a very condescending rep. I then sent in an email basically stating I was unhappy with the service and that I wanted it rectified. Got a scripted response telling me I am sod out of luck and I should try going to whoever I sold it to in order to get the console back (seriously)

So I replied again, pissed off now, with a new email. This time, I linked to this Neogaf thread long with quotes proving a transfer can be done.

The next day I got a response stating my query would be passed onto head office. No offer of any timescales. Again, poor service. I work in customer service quality control for an extremely large online firm, and I know that Nintendo's support is absolutely below any standards I would encounter at work.

Over a week later, I got an email stating the transfer had been done. Yay. I've got all my 30p promotion games back too, as well as the Premium promotion points.

Regardless, Nintendo UK have without a doubt the worst customer service I have ever encountered in my entire life. Utterly, shockingly appalling.

MicH

I seriously don't understand why NoE refuses to do thectransfer when they obviously can, and when NoA are doing it with no problems. It's sbdutely ridiculous

How difficult is it to get NoA to move a NNID from one Wii U to another if there were no purchases made on it? I made my NNID on a friend's launch Wii U before learning about the lock. I never did anything with it on the Wii U, but it is linked to my 3DS, where I've gone nearly full digital. I also have a lot of eShop cash.

I just got a Wii U due to the big Target sale and want to move over my NNID.

RCizzle65

Neo Member
So has there been success in unlinking accounts in the US? I'm interested in getting a Wii U, but I have my account tied to a previous console I signed into.

So has there been success in unlinking accounts in the US? I'm interested in getting a Wii U, but I have my account tied to a previous console I signed into.
Called Nintendo and got them to deacticate my account from my friend's system and switch over to mine. It took a while, I had to answer a bunch of questions to confirm the account was mine, and both of us were on the call. However, in the end it was unlocked and set for my new console. After a few days, I was able to link it to my Wii U (not sure how long it took, because I waited a few weeks before actually setting mine up).

Top Bottom