• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly half the world prefers instant coffee; Australians the most, US the least

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShift

Wait, do people go to a shop or something and get instant coffee? That's crazy. I drink instant coffee at home because sometimes I want caffeine in the next 30 seconds and if it's going to take longer than that I might as well get tea, but if I'm buying it elsewhere it better be proper coffee.

I'm guessing Americans not having electric kettles makes it hard to market instant coffee.

ЯAW

Banned
instant coffee turned me into a tea drinker. I can't understand how anyone would stand for that vile stuff if they weren't forced to drink it.

Alx

Is laziness a preference? I can crunch on a block of dry ramen noodles if I'm in a total rush but that doesn't necessarily mean I "prefer" dehydrated foodstuffs.

I bet most people would favor fresh coffee if it were easier to prepare.

Yup. I drink instant coffee every morning, mostly because it's easier (and cheaper).
Instant coffee < Nespresso-like capsules < Starbucks-like coffee < espresso on the counter < espresso at the restaurant, but in the end I mostly drink instant at home and capsules at work.
It's funny though that my parents always called instant coffee "American coffee". :p

Aiii

So not worth it
They are not. Those are considered ground coffee by the research firm and are addressed in the report. K-Cups make up a quarter of the ground coffee Americans drink now, for instance.

Well then, I don't know who to blame!

Nicktendo86

We heat up water in the microwave.
Don't know if you are joking or not, but come to think of it never seen an electric kettle on an American TV show or movie. Mind blown, that's like the first thing you buy when moving to a new house here. What do you do without the saying 'put the kettle on'? Bloody weirdos.

ЯAW

Banned
Do americans drink filter brewed coffee at their home? Seems like most people get their coffee from Starbucks and other coffee shops in there.

catmincer

Wait, do people go to a shop or something and get instant coffee? That's crazy. I drink instant coffee at home because sometimes I want caffeine in the next 30 seconds and if it's going to take longer than that I might as well get tea, but if I'm buying it elsewhere it better be proper coffee.

I'm guessing Americans not having electric kettles makes it hard to market instant coffee.

Huh?

We heat up water in the microwave.

What? Are you serious?!

Mind = blown.

Kibbles

Not much of a coffee drinker, I feel so alone. I don't even know where to begin when I walk into a Starbucks.

EVOL 100%

For once the US is right. U S A U S A

Seriously though, fuck instant coffee. That shit is just pure sugar. It's disgusting. Brewing your own coffee takes only about 5 minutes more than making instant coffee anyway

Dead Man

For once the US is right. U S A U S A

Seriously though, fuck instant coffee. That shit is just pure sugar. It's disgusting. Brewing your own coffee takes only about 5 minutes more than making instant coffee anyway

What? There's no sugar in coffee.

way more

In America

we don't feel the need for useless add-on's, extraneous extras, pointless utensils, and vanity items. To heat water we buy a "water-hot." We fill it with water and place it upon the stove.

700_yanagi-kettle-silver.jpg

Perhaps other cultures feel the need to purchase the latest item so that at which during when a guest is over they may comment such as "Oooooooooh! Look at my Watery-Dooo boiler-yoooooo, it's just the latest commercial gadget I've purchased that moves me up a rung in our hierarchal caste system!"

Excuse me for thinking only the "upper"-class should have a water-hot.

Log4Girlz

Cuban, yeah we don't really do instant...but then again I'm the kind who only drinks sweet coffee anyway...a lot of us are like that :p

EVOL 100%

What? There's no sugar in coffee.

The little packets we have here have sugar and powder cream in them.

Instant coffee without sugar and cream does exist here and it's a lot better, but it tastes pretty rank when drank with brewn coffee side-by-side

way more

Most people probably think your joking but its so fucking true. I'll take a shitty cup of Blend 47 or Mocona over Starbucks anyday.

This is pretty much why people prefer Budweiser or Foster's to local brews. The glombed over, generic, low-threshold, flat flavored, nature of instant coffee, MSG, chicken tenders, or tilapia.

The gentle taste profile of a person who thinks Starbuck's tastes "burnt"
whitstn5.jpg

The taste profile of someone who enjoys a bit of flavor.
dolomite_jagged_peaks.jpg

pronk420

sales don't necessarily mean preference though. do they mean retail as in coffee shops or what people buy from supermarkets?

to me instant doesn't even taste like coffee, its like some weird waxy coffee style flavoured drink.

using an aeropress is barely more effort than making instant anyway

Tianbur

I only drink ground coffee when I'm at work and that's because I get it for free... Otherwise instant is good enough for me!

Woffls

I drink instant because I can't be bothered to clean out filters. When I work in London I get coffee from Pret or whatever. The important part is I don't have to make any effort.

I boiled mine with a kettle... with a whistle on it... on a FLAME.

We don't drink tea, so we don't need kettles.

sure, but electric kettles are just a demonstrably better way of heating a quantity of water quickly for any purpose. i just can't get over doing it in the microwave, you surely can't heat that much water in a microwave, and what do even you put the water in?

/mindblown

SmokyDave

Is laziness a preference? I can crunch on a block of dry ramen noodles if I'm in a total rush but that doesn't necessarily mean I "prefer" dehydrated foodstuffs.

I bet most people would favor fresh coffee if it were easier to prepare.
This is my case. We have coffees for all occasions in my house, and a myriad of wonderful ways to prepare them. Thing is, unless it's the weekend and the baby's asleep, I don't have fifteen minutes to spare on making a cup of coffee. Instant has reached the point where it's now 'good enough' for 90% of my coffee drinking.

Sakura

We don't drink tea, so we don't need kettles.

I very rarely drink tea, and an electric kettle is indispensable for me. I use it for instant coffee, and for instant noodles or other things requiring hot water. They are like as cheap as 10 dollars, why wouldn't you have one?
I thought Canadians and Americans were so similar. I just cannot wrap my head around this.

zoukka

I loathe instant coffee and capsule coffees. They taste like shit and the amount of plastic junk you have to trash with the capsules is ridiculous.

But whatever nothing stops the train where we drown in plastic and bad tasting shit.

We need a revolution for fresh food and bewerages.

Wow that's really strange considering everywhere you look in Australia is a cafe serving fancy coffee, even in small towns out in the countryside.
Very unexpected. Although every business I've ever been to provides unlimited supplies of instant coffee.
Although a lot seem to be picking up pod machines, which sits in a nice middle ground between the two.

Easy to explain. Instant is better than Starbucks.

Flawless lol

A pot of water? Takes oh, roughly the safe amount of time?

Okay, in all seriousness, if you're choosing to heat water on a stove in a pot it will take way longer to boil than choosing to use an electric kettle. My kettle is pretty average. It boils 500ml of water in about two or two and a half minutes at most. And you can boil well over a litre in most kettles, which is useful for when you have quite a few people over and there is much tea and coffee to make.

And don't quote me on this as I am not mad enough to try it, but I'm pretty sure boiling water using a microwave is both very inefficient and still takes quite a bit of time?

Plus, if you're boiling water on the stove you should be doing it in a stove kettle anyway, because they contain heat better and as such boil the water faster. And they make a cool whistling sound when they have boiled the water, which is pleasingly retro.

WAIT WAIT WAIT

People in the US don't have kettles? I can't believe I'm only learning this now!

Well yeah, that might hold up instant coffee sales!

Also powdered milk? YUCK!

Real talk, a cup of coffee does not cost $5. Specialty desert drinks maybe, but small regular cup of joe costs $1.80 at Peet's or Starbucks. Single brewed cups, on the other hand, can get crazy.

Brewed coffee here in my country town has gone up to $5.50 at some spots. Fucking insanity since it was only $4 when I moved here 3 years ago and there are now 6 new cafes open since then! If it was that cheap I would love on the stuff lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom