• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Kigari lies without any doubt. There aren't any other reasons to choice xone how exclusive console. Still not sure why MS has wasted their money for a brand which has most of their fan in the others platforms. I don't think they change their idea just for TR exclusivity. To be honest, I think they risk to obtain the exact opposite. You don't gain more simpathy with these kinda of operations.

Let's see how much will increase their userbase then, after this move. To me, they have wasted their money. A new ip would been tons of times better.
Post examples of her lying with proof.

omonimo

Banned
The wording alone that this game is exclusive to Xbox holiday 2015, tells me that it's a timed exclusive. We've seen this nonsense so many times before. Sony's done the same thing.
Timed exclusive just for the pc gamers like Alan Wake. But I think the game is completely gone for the ps owners. I'm not a great fan of the last TR, but it's a pity for the others.

MUnited83

For you.
that's suprising. SE didn't want to have a deal for FFXV with Sony but to accept this deal.

Afaik, it was Sony that dropped it. And it was a smart move. FF XV and KH3 will be selling the majority of the copies on PS4 anyways, so spending money on exclusivity would be a bit of a waste.

Xando

Kigari lies without any doubt. There aren't any other reasons to choice xone how exclusive console. Still not sure why MS has wasted their money for a brand which has most of their fan in the others platforms. I don't think they change their idea just for TR exclusivity. To be honest, I think they risk to obtain the exact opposite. You don't gain more simpathy with these kinda of operations.

Let's see how much will increase their userbase then, after this move. To me, they have wasted their money. A new ip would been tons of times better.

what?
She is a verified insider at SE as much as i know, if someone knows it is her.

I wonder if anyone over at SQE is having second thoughts.

iCHPsBlrPWnqA.gif

omonimo

Banned
Post examples of her lying with proof.
I though what I said was a great example. Why do you think they give the exclusivity to the xbone? For the userbase?
what?
She is a verified insider at SE as much as i know, if someone knows it is her.

Ok, what exactly Kagari said? I though we are talking about the reason to the exclusivity for the xbone. I'm just saying if she said it's not for the money, I think she lies.

-MB-

I thought platform holders were obliged to spending money on 3rd parties to get content from them on their platform, to make it succeed? At least that what everyone always tells in Nintendo 3rd party threads. So why complain now, when MS does just that?

Has this been posted yet?

If it's time exclusive it will eventually come out on other systems. This petition is worthless.

I thought platform holders were obliged to spending money on 3rd parties to get content from them on their platform, to make it succeed? At least that what everyone always tells in Nintendo 3rd party threads. So why complain now, when MS does just that?

There's a difference between paying to get a game and paying to prevent a game to be on other platforms.

Watto

Neo Member
Ultimately the gaming industry is exactly that, an industry, so we are going to have to suck this up. The thing that annoys me is when you get the developers going "oh, doing this is the best way of producing the best game". What rot, it's cool to admit it was done for financial reasons, trying to treat the gaming community as idiots who will believe that line does them no favours.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't really mind deals like this but it's kind of BS to do sequels this way. It just upsets all the PlayStation-only gamers who enjoyed the first one

I will have both so it's not an issue for me but I'd be pissed if I didn't want or couldn't afford an xb1

David___

Banned

3898460-8864152835-

cheezcake

To improve goodwill with core gamers like GAFfers, sure. But the majority of gamers will be way more interested in what they know is already an established, successful franchise. It's a safe bet. And probably a lot cheaper than developing a new IP.

Shockingly, consumers are still entitled to the ability of "not purchasing things".

Saying things like "biggest fanbase/sells best on PS, PC", therefore "it should release on my platform" reeks of entitlement.

I can't believe how salty people are. Worse thing is, people saying that they are not buying Xbox One to play the game were never going to buy one in the first place. Talk about faux-outrage.

Widge

You're missing the point.

Nintendo - people want to see them get the same third party games the other platforms get, not instead of the other platforms. This is to bolster their strong first party lineup.

What people want Microsoft to do is: a) make their own games, b) fund and work in partnership with other parties to make their own games. The third option, which people didn't want, was to have a stab at derailing an established series that may/may not be an exclusive. This is not how to make your platform succeed, it just waves a flag around saying "we don't want to make games".

driver116

if they cared about their own following they'd have used that money to create something with one of the many ips they had, or made a new ip or several depending on budgets, they didnt, this is a terrible deal for xbox one gamers

I agree. They're giving their customers games which they never asked for. And the games their customers ask for, they couldn't give a shit. They're clueless.

Xando

I though what I said was a great example. Why do you think they give the exclusivity to the xbone? For the userbase?

Ok, what exactly Kagari said? I though we are talking about the reason to the exclusivity for the xbone. I'm just saying if she said it's not for the money, I think she lies.

She said SE didnt need the money to make a new TR and that its a pure moneyhat.

omonimo

Banned
To improve goodwill with core gamers like GAFfers, sure. But the majority of gamers will be way more interested in what they know is already an established, successful franchise. It's a safe bet. And probably a lot cheaper than developing a new IP.

Like DR 3?
She said SE didnt need the money to make a new TR and that its a pure moneyhat.
Oh well, with all the respect, it's not that different. TR has bombed at launch, they obtained a guarantee to not lose a single money this time. It's what I mean, it's that different?

I don't think Square could be that stupid to make this an Xbox One exclusive. The install base of the PS4 alone is reason to have a multiplat release.

I'm certain we'll see RotTR on PS4/PC come 2016 (not that I am a betting man!)

It's certainly brave of them to go forward with a decision like this, but is Tomb Raider really something that shifts consoles? Has it done that since the PS1/PS2 days?

robm_2007

Neo Member
There's a petition going around for people who disagree with the exclusivity. It asks for your address, but I suppose you could just make one up or put a random one from your town.

Clicky

It has 9,361 so far and got 5,000 signatures in only 8 hours!

EDIT: Oops, it's already been posted!

kiguel182

I don't think MS did anything wrong per se. They did the best for them and if they have the money to do it more power to them.

I don't like the way they do things and it's one of the reasons I don't have any interest on MS or their consoles.

But, Square Enix on the other hand, they really fucked more than half of their consumer base and that's just wrong.

Tomb Raider sells more on PS and they just said "fuck them" and that's not a good approach to business.

I really hope the game undersells, not because of MS but because Square Enix deserves for not doing what's best for their fanbase.

-MB-

If it's time exclusive it will eventually come out on other systems. This petition is worthless.

There's a difference between paying to get a game and paying to prevent a game to be on other platforms.

It's essentially still the same thing.
they'e spending money to make their own platform more attractive to potential buyers.
Only ons upset here, are the peopel owning other systems, which isn't really of their concern.
They are trying to attract new customers who don't own the other systems yet with this.
And Sony did this too, only with some indies: See Rime, or just recently Dreamfall Chapters,
a game that only recently in june got footage of a Wiiu version, that isn't coming anymore

Missed the point, see bayonetta 2 reaction to realise that it's not just because it's Microsoft.

..., no just no MS did not "nab themselves an exclusive out from under Sony's feet" they bought a multiplatform title and locked it to their platform. That does nothing to encourage innovation or creativity. This will not have any impact whatsoever on Uncharted development and implying if will is just asinine. The thing about the Apple and Samsung analogy is that both of those companies are developing and releasing their own products that are in direct competition. This is equivalent to buying exclusive rights to multitouch technology so the competitor can't use it. All it does is net a short term gain while screwing over everyone else who doesn't want to buy your product.

I just can't even fathom the sort of mental gymnastics it takes to look at this situation and arrive at "this will encourage innovation and creativity." That is just some next level spin right there.

It's nothing like owning multi-touch as one game only plays a small part for the PlayStation, it's the equivalent of Samsung owning amoled tech.. you need to stop thinking like a annoyed gamer and understand that it was purely a business decision, so start thinking like a business man. Yeah the fanbase is getting screwed over big time.. but it's up to Sony to soften the blow.

Guys, if the Tomb Raider petition gets to a 100,000 signatures, the White House will port the game to the WonderSwan Colour! Or something, maybe not the color...

Drek

well i agree that they need to build their studios. but the problem is that doesn't happen overnight. they invested in Black Tusk Studios but that developer hasn't produce anything that will release within the next year so they were given an already established ip to work on.

Microsoft knows they need to make Xbone enticing to buy over the ps4 and they need to make that happen fast. That's why they're making big deals like this. while sony knows they need to build their indie portfolio which is what they lack last gen so they are making small deals like they're doing right now.

Sure you don't build a first party stable overnight, but in MS' case when they hell are they going to start?

Lets recap:
Started Turn 10, who went on to make Forza, the one truly original IP from Microsoft to ever succeed.

Bought Bungie when Halo was months from release, had them port it to Xbox, cancelling a much hyped PC version which did later arrive, not to mention the Mac version Bungie had been promising.

Purchased FASA as part of another acquisition in 1999. After doing very little with the Shadowrun and MechWarrior IPs on the Xbox family of consoles closes FASA in 2007, licences out all their worthwhile IPs to small studios.

Bought Rare in 2002, since they have mined the Perfect Dark, Banjo, and Conker IPs with zero success, made one new mascot IP for Xbox 360's launch that never got a follow up despite being a pretty solid (kid friendly) game (Kameo, FYI). Have since been largely relegated to Kinect titles, weren't even the ones who made the Killer Instinct reboot.

Purchased Lionhead in 2006. Proceeded to have them make nothing but Fable games, including a crappy Kinect Fable game. Stopped making PC versions entirely, games progressively got further and further away from the original concept for Fable. A large number of staff has been laid off over the past two years, another large group up and left with Molyneaux, which if it was anything like his departure from Bullfrog to found Lionhead constituted his core staff he's had everywhere (i.e. the real talent in the studio). Making yet another Fable game that is even further removed from the original premise.

Started up 343 studios as a replacement for Bungie when Bungie wanted out as opposed to eternally making nothing but Halo. Now 343 makes nothing but Halo, only not as well as Bungie. The game they wouldn't let Bungie make, Destiny, is now the most pre-ordered game yet. Winning?

Disbanded Ensemble Studios, Aces Studio, MS Flight Team, MS Victoria Studio (never released anything) and Carbonated Games. Have in the last several years purchased BigPark (absorbed into MS Game Studios), Twisted Pixel (who's next game was a full blown stinker), Press Play (nothing of note, so basically shuffling deck chairs with this and closing Carbonated).

Also, Black Tusk isn't new. It's Microsoft Vancouver. They just cleaned house and renamed it after Vancouver went years without finishing anything. Black Tusk is doing an admirable job keeping that history alive.

This is just a quick sample of how MS has handled their first parties. Forza is the only new IP they've generated and maintained worth a shit in their entire time as a console first party. Everything else was bought, mismanaged, and typically shuttered.

Buying their way into the industry with the Xbox with Bungie, Lionhead, etc. is one thing. Sure, you need meaningful exclusives and that was the fastest way to get them. They've been in the console business for nearly 13 years now though. The proof is in the pudding. Microsoft has never shown a commitment to developing their own legitimate first party stable. They closed much of what they did start with the Xbox during the X360 generation because Sony's failure to deliver with PS3 allowed them to pick off former exclusives and have a comparable 3rd party library at a lower price, so they weren't needed. The only significant reinvestment they've ever shown in software development was for Kinect, which they've now pulled back on nearly completely as well.

Microsoft brings nothing to this industry other than dump trucks of money. They're in the video game industry for all the wrong reasons. Making and selling video games is a secondary part of the business model and that has been the case from day one. Originally it was a Sony denial tactic. As Sony fell on hard times and the X360 emerged as a successful product they used XBL to turn it into a marketing push where their real customers were advertisers and games were just the gateway to get people in the door looking at all the ads. The XB1's original concept took this to the next level planning to have Kinect effectively mining data from within our homes while we lived around the system. Obviously the blow back was too great to continue that little project, but that was the original intent and Microsoft stated as much during a conference for their advertising partners.

Instead of this (which probably cost them $50M or better), Titanfall (which also likely cost them $50M or better) the stated NFL deal at $400M, and buying the Gears IP from Epic (likely a solid $50-$100M price tag) Microsoft could have funded over a half dozen of the biggest, most expensive AAA exclusives EVER. They gave the NFL more money for a fantasy football app than Take 2/Rockstar spent on Grand Theft Auto 5. Let that sink into your head when you excuse their lack of first party studios as "taking time".

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
I choose not to give a s$#@,because i dont, not on pc, does not exist plain and simple for me. The only game a ever wanted to play in the last 15 years on a console is The Last of Us, but i choose to watch it on YouTube.

Ovek

7Member7
I'm guessing they wanted even less people to play I than the first... Let's face it Tomb Raider is not a system seller at all, if Microsoft thinks that it will they are even more deluded than I thought as it will not improve Xbox sales in any way.

Raide

I'm guessing they wanted even less people to play I than the first... Let's face it Tomb Raider is not a system seller at all, if Microsoft thinks that it will they are even more deluded than I thought as it will not improve Xbox sales in any way.

More games will improve sales. MS have a pretty solid next few months lined up.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
In my home town of Derby (UK), there is a street called Lara Croft Way, named as such because the original game was built by Core Design in this great city. The people of the city named it in a public vote, such was the pride and love for the franchise.

Apparently Square Enix has sold the access rights to Chevrolet and now only people with ugly, big American manufactured cars can pass through.

...sad times

(only half of this post is bollocks)

Steroyd

The wording alone that this game is exclusive to Xbox holiday 2015, tells me that it's a timed exclusive. We've seen this nonsense so many times before. Sony's done the same thing.

Sony distinctly says "console debut" or "first on PlayStation" none of this exclusive to Xbox holiday 2015 crap.

Hell watch the Gamescom conference they even double clarify after a trailer what is full, timed or are PS4/PC launches, so there is no confusion or interpreting double speak later.

Sad that you spent so much time and effort on an extremely one-sided post.

MS bring nothing other than money? Get the fuck out of here. Microsoft brought competition that this industry sorely needed because Nintendo dropped the ball with both the GCN and Wii.

Huggers

This is the beauty of social networking and forums etc. Their prominence these days is really powerful and stupid anti-consumer moves get called out as such.

Bruticuz

Banned
Just wow, didnt know people could get so upset about Lara Croft.
Some are even writing poems and crap like that.
Still hate CD,SE,who ever is responsible for being money grabbing whores.

Top Bottom