• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom suing Koei in patent-dispute for 980 Million Yen

Garou

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/west/west_affairs/news/140826/waf14082617470028-n1.htm

Capcom is arguing that Koei infringed in 49 titles (e.g. Sengoku Musou Moushouden, PS2 (2004)) a patent by Capcom filed in 2002 about the function of adding new characters and scenarios to a game, as well as the function of alerting the player of nearby enemies through rumble.
Capcom pledges that through those infringements Koei boosted the sales of their titles. At a total sales-revenue of 9.8 billion Yen, Capcom seeks 5-10% in license fees, as well as the stop of sales for several titles.

Edit: To be clear, the patent is for "Combining software to add the content", so things like expansion discs I would assume, after all the patent is from 2002.

Edit 2: 980 Million Yen = 7.1 Million Euro = 9.4 Million US$ = 5.7 Million GBP

Dicer

Banned
Seems like a shifty case, software implementations...Capcom you make me weep, you have slid so far down :(

According to the complaint, in 2002, Capcom patented features and are added scenarios and characters new to the game by combining it with other software, relates to an apparatus for informing a vibration of the presence of such character of the enemy.

sorry Capcom, a buzz for alerting when an enemy is close isn't something you should own...

first Dynasty Warriors expansion released in 2003, Sengoku Basara 1 launched in 2005 and the first 'expansion' for Basara 2 (1 had no expansion to my knowledge) was in 2007.

L~A

the function of adding new characters and scenarios to a game

Are they talking about DLC or something?

But man, wish companies stopped with those crappy patent wars.

Acosta

Capcom transformed in a patent troll. When I thought they couldn't get lower...

It looks insane, I would like more detail because I can't believe they can claim they own the concept of expansion.

Phazon

a patent by Capcom filed in 2001 about the function of adding new characters and scenarios to a game, as well as the function of alerting the player of nearby enemies through rumble.

Those are some pretty general things that companies shouldn't be able to patent imo :/

Capcom patented expansions? In 2001? And that was allowed?

Well if this isnt a sign of how desperate Capcom is right now for quick money I dont know what is.

baterism

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/west/west_affairs/news/140826/waf14082617470028-n1.htm

Capcom is arguing that Koei infringed in 49 titles a patent by Capcom filed in 2001 about the function of adding new characters and scenarios to a game, as well as the function of alerting the player of nearby enemies through rumble.
Capcom pledges that through those infringements Koei boosted the sales of their titles. At a total sales-revenue of 9.8 billion Yen, Capcom seeks 5-10% in license fees, as well as the stop of sales for several titles.

Eh, someone pattented function of adding new characters and scenario to a game???
Isn't that like... something that every company use as dlc? Even Civ V use that.

zeromcd73

I guess Capcom figured out they couldn't release a new mainline Monster Hunter on time next year and needed to get some funds from somewhere.

3bdelilah

Banned
Dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

How much is that in Euro or USD? Doesn't say in the OP.

shaowebb

Thats a rather bullshit and frivolous mechanic lawsuit. An alert when an enemy comes by? Yeah...next they'll sue them for using a button to attack.

Koei is totally the only company to add content with DLC besides Capcpom. This is pretty low of Capcom and will probably get thrown out.

Dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

How much is that in Euro or USD? Doesn't say in the OP.

£98m, $140m

Guesswork from my very vague understanding of Japanese and American conversions to GBP

edit: lol, so wrong. Thought the yen was a tenth of the pound, seems to be the dollar

edit 2: wait, it's a hundredth? So a yen is worth a cent, essentially?

Occam

Patent trolling is awesome. Can I patent the procedure of using a toilet? That should provide a nice stream of effortless income.

EVOL 100%

Maybe I'm a fucking idiot and live in a fantasy world, but it seems that Japanese video game companies are suing a lot these days. Has to do with bad financials then?

Eolz

Lol what?
Capcom looking to be worth something thanks to patents before someone buy them. Sad to see...

Edit: nevermind, it's not even a lot of money, misread that.

Reminds me of the Philips and Nintendo case, the only diffrence here is that Capcom's claim is clear despite being weird patenting expansions ?

SeanTSC

edit 2: wait, it's a hundredth? So a yen is worth a cent, essentially?

Yeah, roughly. That's the easiest way to do a fast convert of it.

Woo, a whole 9.4 million lawsuit. Wouldn't surprise me if Koei just settles out for 5m and tells them to go away, since they're seeking 5-10%. I hope they fight this absurd patent trolling though so that Capcom doesn't get more settlements from this insanely vague crap that so many other people have done too.

kadotsu

Banned
Ono please leave the company so that I don't have to care anymore! And take the Ace Attorney team with you. I'm sure some niece of the CEO can take your place.

NeonZ

I don't think it's just an expansion, but an expansion that can also be played as a standalone software or combined with the original game for full content (So, basically, the Xtreme Legends games).

Wouldn't something like The Sims expansion discs that add content/characters to the default game have been quite awhile before Capcom made this patent?

Garou

The game that was given as a example is
513EDCRCX3L.jpg

which added a handful of characters and stages to the original Sengoku Musou.

Thinking about it, Capcom uses this pattern all the time:
Street Fighter 4 -> Super -> AE -> Ultra
Monster Hunter 4 -> 4G

Yagharek

This will be thrown out of court when the patent is found to be invalid due to a spelling mistake.

The game that was given as a example is

which added a handful of characters and stages to the original Sengoku Musou.

Thinking about it, Capcom uses this pattern all the time:
Street Fighter 4 -> Super -> AE -> Ultra
Monster Hunter 4 -> 4G

So why not sue EA, Ubisoft, Activision and pretty much every other publisher?

Patent law can be downright silly at times. I mean, "'alerting the player of nearby enemies through rumble" as a patent? Really?

It's sad to see how much Capcom has fallen.

Top Bottom