• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PlayTV impressions

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Oh and another question, sorry :p

Could you unplug the HDMI cable before you go to bed, or unplug your TV's power or something - that would avoid the noise/light, and it would still record, right?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BrainZEROX said:
Sounds cool but only one input for antenna signal and no output killed my interest for the thing. I don't want to have to switch on my PS3 every time I want to watch TV. I'll have to wait for PlayTV 2.0 I guess...
Umm, aren't you just asking for a DVR?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
BrainZEROX said:
Sounds cool but only one input for antenna signal and no output killed my interest for the thing. I don't want to have to switch on my PS3 every time I want to watch TV. I'll have to wait for PlayTV 2.0 I guess...

WTF MAN?
If it was what you are asking for, it would just be a DTT set top box.

TheExodu5

Banned
pr0cs said:
Not much point really as there aren't a lot of OTA channels (YMMV).

OTA?

Whatever that is, we have lots of digital channels on Rogers. All of our main cable is digital and analog, and we have a lot of exclusive digital channels.

Ranger X

pr0cs said:
Not much point really as there aren't a lot of OTA channels (YMMV).

I'm not aware about how it works really. Can't this thing provide access to paying channels i could subscribe to like on services like Illico TV, Look, etc ??

Doodis

TheExodu5 said:
OTA?

Whatever that is, we have lots of digital channels on Rogers. All of our main cable is digital and analog, and we have a lot of exclusive digital channels.
Over the air.

pswii60

Just noticed, does it have no thru/output for the antenna?

How am I supposed to use the integrated Freeview on my TV? I only want to use PlayTV as a PVR, I don't want to have to turn on my PS3 every friggin time I want to watch TV.

I suppose I'd have to buy a booster/splitter too then.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DrXym said:
Can you try this:

1. Set to record
2. Shutdown
3. Physically turn PS3 off and on via switch
4. Does it still wake up?

If yes, then:

1. Set to record
2. Shutdown
3. Unplug PlayTV dongle
4. Does it wake up?

If the answer to the first test is No then it means its only pretending to go into standby and could be consuming quite a lot of power as the CPU is still on. If the answer to the first is yes and the second is no then it means the PlayTV dongle is waking up the PS3. If it's Yes and Yes then the PS3 is managing to do it by itself.

Sorry for the late reply (and the bump), but I just got a chance to test this.

Results: the answer is YES for both. Magic!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
McBacon said:
When the PS3 wakes up/shuts off to record, does it make that high pitched beeping sound?

Yes when u shut it off from within PlayTV (two beeps with blinking led - perhaps a bug).

No when u shut it off after exiting PlayTV.
No when wakes up.
No when shuts off after recording is done.

McBacon said:
Oh and another question, sorry :p

Could you unplug the HDMI cable before you go to bed, or unplug your TV's power or something - that would avoid the noise/light, and it would still record, right?

Right. You can simply switch off the TV.

pswii60 said:

Yeah, I guess so. Digital TV signal is very strong and clean tho, so you shouldn't lose video quality.

Something like this should suffice.
00042999abb.jpg

DrXym

TTP said:
Sorry for the late reply (and the bump), but I just got a chance to test this.

Results: the answer is YES for both. Magic!

Awesome! I'm very impressed. Out of interest, what model PS3 do you have?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
TTP said:
Yes when u shut it off from within PlayTV (two beeps with blinking led - perhaps a bug).

No when u shut it off after exiting PlayTV.
No when wakes up.
No when shuts off after recording is done.

Oh cool, thats very handy.

carlosp

Banned
TTP said:
[...]

Yeah, I guess so. Digital TV signal is very strong and clean tho, so you shouldn't lose video quality.

Something like this should suffice.
00042999abb.jpg

Hell NO. I have a samsung TV with build-in DVB-T tuner. I wanted to switch between DVB-T and analog TV on fly and bought this gadget and after i pluged it in i realized you lose so much signal on both sides, that watching TV is not possible anymore. I will buy Play TV for watching DVB-T without being forced to plug one cable out and the other one in everytime i wanna watch DVB-T.

Xater

@ TTP:

Can I record something on one channel and watch something else on another channel at the same time?

Well maybe after Feb of 2009 when the entire US Television Megasystem goes digital Sony will bring it over here. I have a hard time believing that Comcast and Cox would want sony cutting into their profits before then :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DrXym said:
Awesome! I'm very impressed. Out of interest, what model PS3 do you have?

European launch 60GB (now 320GB :D) unit.

Xater said:
@ TTP:

Can I record something on one channel and watch something else on another channel at the same time?

Yes, of course :)

Banned
pswii60 said:
Just noticed, does it have no thru/output for the antenna?

How am I supposed to use the integrated Freeview on my TV? I only want to use PlayTV as a PVR, I don't want to have to turn on my PS3 every friggin time I want to watch TV.

The whole point in a PVR (or device like this to turn your PS3 into an energy inefficient one) is that you basically never watch Live TV.

You watch the content that interests you when it is convenient, and don't have to put up with adverts.

The irony is that, even though you are no longer tied into the TV schedule, you never miss a program, and with it being much easier to find new programmes of interest without having to worry about what time they are on, you'll almost certainly end up watching more television overall than you did before.

I have a 160gb PVR. I've got about 50gb of films ‘archived’ on it, and am now at the point where I'm constantly having to watch television so that it doesn't fill up and run out of space.

For people asking about MPEG2, and the 4.8mb rate. You're misunderstanding what this box does. DVB-T basically sends out an MPEG2 stream over the air. Depending on the channel, this bitrate will vary, I believe between roughly 2–6mb, though most channels are closer to 2mbps and the BBC ones tend to be closer to 4mbps.

All that the Play TV box does is capture this video stream straight to the hard drive. It's not doing any encoding/decoding, it's just putting it straight onto the drive. That is why it will only work with DVB-T and it has no video inputs and won't work with analogue TV etc. as the PS3 doesn't have enough power to play a game and encode video at the same time.

If the box is capable with DVB-T2, when HDTV broadcasts start in the UK, it will be exactly the same. No encoding/decoding, just recording the MP4 stream straight onto the hard drive.

It's disappointing to hear that games accessing the hard drive will interrupt recording. That alone would be enough for me to avoid it.

Raistlin

bryehn said:
Any other compression options besides MPEG2?

Pretty outdated. Won't handle HD content very well at 4.8 MBPS at all.

Its directly recording the data stream - it would be impossible to transcode in realtime and have the same functionality (playing games, etc).

spwolf

carlosp said:
Hell NO. I have a samsung TV with build-in DVB-T tuner. I wanted to switch between DVB-T and analog TV on fly and bought this gadget and after i pluged it in i realized you lose so much signal on both sides, that watching TV is not possible anymore. I will buy Play TV for watching DVB-T without being forced to plug one cable out and the other one in everytime i wanna watch DVB-T.

you are confusing two inputs and one output with two outputs and one input which TTP was reffering to. If you have only single input, you wont lose any quality.

What you tried was have two inputs, merging signals into one input, and that will never work properly without dedicated box for it...

TTP - thanks for the info man, and let us know if updates change anything with regards to recording functionality!

DrPirate

Banned
Just a question to Canadians:

I just moved to Ontario like, 2 weeks ago. Does Toronto have this type of digital over the air service for broadcasting?

Essentially what I wish to know is, if I imported PlayTV right? Would it work out of the box?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DrPirate said:
Essentially what I wish to know is, if I imported PlayTV right? Would it work out of the box?

Don't think so. During the set up process it asks to choose the country you live in (besides the language you speak, that's another step of the set up process and just affects the PlayTV menus language) and it only lists European countries there.

vercity82

Sounds good mate i just pre-ordered this myself in the UK and looking forwards too next week now need to order a 320gb HDD as man the 60is on its last legs as its filled to the brim:lol

Tntnnbltn

TTP said:
Don't think so. During the set up process it asks to choose the country you live in (besides the language you speak, that's another step of the set up process and just affects the PlayTV menus language) and it only lists European countries there.
No other PAL countries? (Australia, New Zealand?)

DrPirate said:
Just a question to Canadians:

I just moved to Ontario like, 2 weeks ago. Does Toronto have this type of digital over the air service for broadcasting?

Won't work at all. No DVB-T here. There is OTA ATSC, but it's very limited and you'll have to have a good spot to put up an antenna. Satellite and Cable are both monopolies held by providers and as such the only way you can see their content is through digital boxes they sell. (Shaw/Rogers usually wants well more than the price of a PS3 for their PVR...)

Tntnnbltn

bryehn said:
Any other compression options besides MPEG2?

Pretty outdated. Won't handle HD content very well at 4.8 MBPS at all.
As others have said, it's just transcoding copying the stream as it comes over the air. I believe our HD channels in Australia are ~11 MBPS.

Schrade

Tntnnbltn said:
As others have said, it's just transcoding the stream as it comes over the air. I believe our HD channels in Australia are ~11 MBPS.
I don't think it's transcoding. I think it's just copying the stream in its raw form.

Tntnnbltn

Schrade said:
I don't think it's transcoding. I think it's just copying the stream in its raw form.
I thought that's what transcoding meant. :lol Knew I should've checked on Wikipedia first.

BeeDog

TTP said:

Does it list Sweden?

herod

yeah, there is going to be some confusion around this product. I think what I'm saying here is correct:

don't import it!

the software will be set up to understand regional EPGs, the hardware will expect a digital signal (DVB-T) that is generally only transmitted via aerial in certain countries.

Cable users look elsewhere. This product does not accept a video signal. It stores the digitally encoded mpeg-2 stream directly to the HDD and gets the PS3 to decode it upon playback.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Schrade said:
That reached the download limit on that site rather quickly. Can you make it available from http://www.sendspace.com/ instead please? I want to see the quality.

Here it is.

There doesn't seem to be any downgrade in quality when recording. If there is, it's rather minor. Recorded vids look the same as the "live" ones to me.

Tntnnbltn said:
No other PAL countries? (Australia, New Zealand?)

Here's the full list:

United Kingdom
France
Germany
Spain
Italy
Other

No idea what "other" refers to. It shows a map of the whole Earth when selecting it. Doesn't allow to specify any particular country. After selecting it, it begins scanning for channels.

nofi

TTP said:
No idea what "other" refers to. It shows a map of the whole Earth when selecting it. Doesn't allow to specify any particular country. After selecting it, it begins scanning for channels.

Outer space? Maybe it's for those of us orbiting the Earth in a satellite.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nofi said:
Outer space? Maybe it's for those of us orbiting the Earth in a satellite.

eheh :)

Just to be more clear, the background of the country selection menu shows a geographical representation of each country you highlight. For "Others" it shows the whole Earth map.

I've just started using this and am very very happy with it. Setting up recording schedules is really easy and the guide works quicker than the one on my standard freeview (And is in HD :D ) The picture quality looks better than my standard freeview also.

Tntnnbltn

AranhaHunter said:
I wish we could get this in the US, can you use Play TV with an external HDD?
You can't record directly to an external HDD, but you could export to the XMB and then transfer it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I picked PlayTV to transform my PSP into a TV for my bedroom... and it's working like a charm. I'm extremely impressed by the results. Best example of connectivity I've seen so far.

My only concern is the reception of M6 and W9 in France. Do other get erractic results for these channels?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I got my PlayTV over the weekend; love it - slick interface, great quality, nice features.

Hope they will update it with new stuff over time.

pswii60

Well, I got PlayTV in the end...

I got around the lack of RF throughput by using a 97p value splitter from Tesco, works fine and I still get 82% signal strength! Why Sony couldn't have just built this in to the unit itself is beyond me though.

OK, so impressions...

+ Excellent user interface. Extremely fast response, stuff like Text is incredibly fast, and the find/record programme by keyword option is incredible. Looks the dogs bollocks too, thumbs up here.

+ The way it turns the PS3 on and off automatically is great. Also, if you try and turn your PS3 off when recording in the background, it will show a PlayTV screen and then turn off automatically when it has finished recording. I'm completely surprised by how fluid and intuitive it all is - and that it works flawlessly too. Very impressed here.

+ The small box tucks away nicely behind my PS3 on my TV stand. Can't even notice it. Has meant I've been able to get rid of my old Sagem PVR box, getting rid of a mains lead and SCART lead. Nice.

+ The 320GB harddrive I put in my PS3 is now finally being put to good use.

- Picture quality isn't anywhere near as good as my built-in Freeview TV (Toshiba 32WLT66), it seems 'out of focus', a very soft picture and it's a shame it doesn't appear to use the PS3's excellent DVD upscaling engine (perhaps to reduce power consumption / fans, but the option would be nice). Luckily not a problem as I only intend to use this to playback recorded content, and not to watch live TV.

- NO series link. OK, so I know only BBC and ITV have actually got their Freeview act together on this anyway, but still. Yes, you can set it to record 'weekly' for x number of times, which is fine if: 1) you know how many episodes are in the series and 2) if the programme is going to be on at the same time each week. But, many times this isn't the case. The Apprentice shifted to another day for a couple of weeks this year for example, sometime football coverage delays a programme, and programmes like The Restaurant are on at funny times, with two episodes in a week, or if you wanted to record the X Factor, the show varies in length and starting time every week. Therefore, Series Link is ESSENTIAL. And I just hope it is possible for them to add this feature in the future, and it isn't missing due to hardware limitations or something. Just seems strange that it isn't there on day one.

- Boot up time. Having to wait for your PS3 to start, and then click on PlayTV and wait for that to load too, it's zzzzzzzz. Hopefully they'll add an option to boot the PS3 straight in to PlayTV, or at least speed up the loading time.

Overall, I really like it. The +s above are BIG +s. Much better than I expected. But there are some minor niggles (crashes, loading times). Also the lack of series link is worrying me, I just hope they find a way to add it. Soon. It'll be great to see them constantly update this and add in new features in the future, it could end up being phenomenal with a few adjustments and new features. Please Sony, don't let me down.

Danj

Well of course, the big minus with this thing is that it is Freeview and Freeview is mostly pants in comparison to what's available on Sky Digital. It's a pity Sky is so anal-retentive about their platform and won't make CAMs available for it.

Top Bottom